Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (H) League 1 Saturday 6/3/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
CoalpoolSaddler

Re: Millwall (H) League 1 Saturday 6/3/10.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:59 pm

2-2!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Ah, the well-known Walsall ability to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory :( Final score 2-2, Millwall equalising in the third minute of time added on.

Greg

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:02 pm

moanin old git wrote:Will we EVER hold on to a lead again? :(

No i cant see it happening :roll:

Millwall are not that bad a side, can be seen as 2 points lost but also as 1 point gained

SWS1

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Oh pish and tush and blow and darn. :(
(Please substitute suitable foul language for the gentle expletives above!) :evil:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Far more entertaining match today, with a great start by the Saddlers. Some good passing, and two great but very different goals.

Nicholls was very much route 1, but he took it neatly.

Taundry's goal was a fantastic strike and it shows what can happen if you have a bloody shot.

Their first was a mix up by Gilmartin and Vincent - firstly the ball back to Rene was weak, but was this because Gilmartin wasnt communicating well enough? And then once the ball had been passed, Gilmartin didnt react proactively and Morrison stole in and scored - another gaffe that leads to dropped points.

Their equaliser was a fantastic strike. The chap who scored it missed a much easier chance 15 mins earlier when he skyed a shot from 18 yards...then he goes and hits a rocket in to the top corner on the half volley from outside the area!

I feel we were lucky to get a point, they hit the bar, had 3 or 4 headed chances wasted and had one cleared off the line.

I still dont understand why Hutchings insists on starting with Richards, who is a liability - he just wont head the ball, he's weak, he can't tackle and his distribution is terrible. Id understand it if we were stuck for players, but he'd got Vincent playing in the middle (and thus making us weaker when defending crosses) and Hughes on the bench (who came through most of the reserves game against WBA ok)...Richards rounded off another woeful performance with stupidly getting out of position, then even more stupidly getting himself sent off by tripping their man on the half way line - muppet. I wouldnt mind if he never plays for us again, the idiots in front of me even clapped him as he trudged off :roll:

We were then on the back foot for the rest of the game and an equaliser was always going to come, so considering Richards didnt even need to be in the team, it's another poor managerial show from Hutchings. If you've got your first choice left back available, and your first choice centre back available, why are you playing the left back at centre back and leaving the centre back on the bench, while playing a donkey at left back you idiot Hutchings.

Monks

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:59 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Far more entertaining match today, with a great start by the Saddlers. Some good passing, and two great but very different goals.

Nicholls was very much route 1, but he took it neatly.

Taundry's goal was a fantastic strike and it shows what can happen if you have a bloody shot.

Their first was a mix up by Gilmartin and Vincent - firstly the ball back to Rene was weak, but was this because Gilmartin wasnt communicating well enough? And then once the ball had been passed, Gilmartin didnt react proactively and Morrison stole in and scored - another gaffe that leads to dropped points.

Their equaliser was a fantastic strike. The chap who scored it missed a much easier chance 15 mins earlier when he skyed a shot from 18 yards...then he goes and hits a rocket in to the top corner on the half volley from outside the area!

I feel we were lucky to get a point, they hit the bar, had 3 or 4 headed chances wasted and had one cleared off the line.

I still dont understand why Hutchings insists on starting with Richards, who is a liability - he just wont head the ball, he's weak, he can't tackle and his distribution is terrible. Id understand it if we were stuck for players, but he'd got Vincent playing in the middle (and thus making us weaker when defending crosses) and Hughes on the bench (who came through most of the reserves game against WBA ok)...Richards rounded off another woeful performance with stupidly getting out of position, then even more stupidly getting himself sent off by tripping their man on the half way line - muppet. I wouldnt mind if he never plays for us again, the idiots in front of me even clapped him as he trudged off :roll:

We were then on the back foot for the rest of the game and an equaliser was always going to come, so considering Richards didnt even need to be in the team, it's another poor managerial show from Hutchings. If you've got your first choice left back available, and your first choice centre back available, why are you playing the left back at centre back and leaving the centre back on the bench, while playing a donkey at left back you idiot Hutchings.

I was sitting right by the half way line on the side Richards got sent off, and to be fair it was a harsh yellow card. He actually tried to get out of the way of the Milwall player who seemed to actually run into Richards. I didn't think it really was worthy of a yellow card.
Good performance today though. It was nice to watch some attacking football in the first half rather than the usual hoof ball and Taundry's goal was a cracker.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Agree about the entertainment. As soon as Richards received a yellow I knew we were under pressure in that area. I suggested to wfc rob that Richards should be subbed off at half time, move Vincent to left back and bring Hughes on. Seemed obvious that on a dodgy pitch, with a picky ref and a handful of a player to deal with, a second yellow was always a possibility. If I could see that, then Hutchings bears as much responsibility as Richards for the sending off.

I was amazed that we didn't get Hughes on sooner. Gray wasn't working at left back, and we rode our luck at least three times before we went to a proper back four again.

Not much you can say about their second, and not much I'd like to say about their first - except that most players can multitask when it comes to speaking and running. Perhaps Gilmartin should try it.

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:11 pm

good point , played well at times , great ball by deeney for nicholls to get the first, enjoyable game spoilt by the ref sending richards off , O'keefe was poor in the first half but he trys hard and did improve after the break -- 3 good goals on offer , Taundry was all over the pitch { take note bradley }

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:29 pm

I never thought id say this about a player but thank god Richards wont play the next game but he is utter garbage, slow lightweight cant head or pass, totally deserving to be sent off for a totally ridiculious foul, Rene IMHO was not at fault, it was Vincent, did he even touch the ball with that backpass. a game we SHOULD of won but threw away again, we went from being totally in control to hanging on and could of been on the end of a cricket score if it wasn't for some shocking finishing from the Millwall forwards, and finally i know Taundry had a good game and scored a great goal but surely Nicholls, who went off to a standing ovation deserved the MOTM.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Good game, Walsall played considerably better than of late. Millwall deserved something from the game to be fair. Ref was an idiot. The first booking for Richards was stupid, the second also, he cliped the legs of the player as they crossed - nothing malicious. He made some other stupid decisions too.

I thought Taundry and Nicholls (goals aside) were brilliant today. Nicholls worked hard even more so when we went down to 10 men. This is the stuf Byfield used to do!

What is it about Walsall keepers... once or twice in every game they do something stupid. All in all, I enjoyed today. Some good goals and some good passing despite the poor pitch. Atmosphere was better too.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:00 pm

At least I left the Stadium today feeling I'd been entertained that made a pleasant change .

Good game enjoyed it thought Taundry was superb and what a cracking goal.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Better performance today. Must admit could see the equaliser coming from about 25 minutes to go.

Never a second yellow for Wendy, just a tangle of legs.

Notice the Gilamrtin haters in middle block 2 (the ones that cheered when Rene got injured a few months back) couldn't wait to boo when Rene & Vincent made their cock-up? Didn't notice you making as much noise when Ince made one of his many mistakes.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Good game. I think the fame fully deserved the score line.

3 good goals, and a cock up at the back for us. Some good passing on a dire pitch. As Duke said, I left the ground today happy.

2 points lost or a point gained? Not sure to be honest. 2 points lost because we had the lead for all the game but lost it in the last 10 seconds, but they did deserve somethin from the game.

2-2 was a fair result. Happy with performace and the atmosphere

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Thought it was a good and entertaining game, for a change.

Taundry was deffinatly MOM a very Keats type performance. Apart from that excellent performances from Richards/Jones/McDonald and a good one from Gilmartin.

Vincent was at fault for the cock up not Gilmartin.

Richards should not have been sent off, Millwall player just fell over his feet.

james78
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:55 am

best home game for some time today.a little spoilt by tactical naievety by hutch but it was a lot more entertaining than recent games.also thought the atmosphere seemed better today than in along time.on a negative note people were buying season tickets before the game and were told there were only s mens and kids sizes left in the shirts.these people were understandably very annoyed.how can you promote something you dont have?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:25 am

Checked this thread to decide whether I should be elated or suicidal.

You lot are no use, I still don't know. :D

On balance, well done the lads on the point, the entertainment and two goals at home.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:30 am

I had a strange unfamilar feeling as I left the game today , I think it was called 'enjoyment'. Yes, I actually enjoyed the game.
For once we were entertained and the result literally to the end was uncertain.
First half I thought we were superb.Nicholls had plenty of time to take his goal but Ive seen players panic and miss in that situation - he had a cool head and cleanly put it away.Taundrys goal was a cracker and that should have been game over .
However a defensive howler a few mins later and Millwall were back in it -and after that we were always on the defensive.
My only two negative remarks are Richards, still dont think hes any good and a sending off really made it backs against the walls for the last 20 mins.Gray - I dont rate him at all - watched him closely and he is no use at all.
Positives - Well the Sun shone for a little while , lots of fit men in Army Uniform around for the Help the Heroes fund :wink: - oh you mean on the pitch...I thought Gilmartin second half did come out a lot and look more confident in his handling etc, Taundry and Nicholls both had good games and in the first half we showed we can play attractive passing Football.
Although leading all game to concede an equalizer at the death feels ike a defeat, however I think Millwall played well enough to deserve a point so a fair result.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:50 am

james78 wrote:best home game for some time today.a little spoilt by tactical naievety by hutch but it was a lot more entertaining than recent games.also thought the atmosphere seemed better today than in along time.on a negative note people were buying season tickets before the game and were told there were only s mens and kids sizes left in the shirts.these people were understandably very annoyed.how can you promote something you dont have?

It clearly says the first 500 anyway.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:49 am

Just seen the goals on iplayer, Dunno why everyone is raving about Taundry. I can do that in me back garden :mrgreen:

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 am

How was Nicholls not MoM yesterday ?
He chased , harried & generally made a nuisance of himself all game, as well as scoring one himself.

I worry about our ability to keep possession .

Passing has never been Weston's best attribute & it certainly isn't Taundrys either.
I don't think either managed to hit a pass completion rate over 30 - 40% yesterday.

O'Keefe is acclimatising to games at this level so he will always be hit or miss for a time.

I think Richards did OK & has done since he moved to left back.
He was one of a minority who managed to pass to teammates most of the time.
Sending off was harsh - but as soon as the winger went down it looked inevitable.

SwiftlySaddler

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:00 pm

So, the game i decide to miss is the game we start to play "good" football. Well, for some bits anyway.

Was good to get a point, and it is good to see Taundry playing well. Fair play to the lad

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Juilian Gray played left back while he was at Barnsley earlier in the season. :shock:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:17 pm

First game I've missed this season at home ... seemed like it was an entertaining one with a couple of great goals

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:32 pm

latviancheese wrote:
james78 wrote:best home game for some time today.a little spoilt by tactical naievety by hutch but it was a lot more entertaining than recent games.also thought the atmosphere seemed better today than in along time.on a negative note people were buying season tickets before the game and were told there were only s mens and kids sizes left in the shirts.these people were understandably very annoyed.how can you promote something you dont have?

It clearly says the first 500 anyway.

Only sold about 250 so far though.

All to big/mossiv adults :mrgreen:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:38 pm

latviancheese wrote:Juilian Gray played left back while he was at Barnsley earlier in the season. :shock:

Julian Gray is an awful player. We must have better kids than him.

Put Vincent at Full back and Hughes in the middle.

A good entertaining match yesterday. As soon as the tactical genius took off Jones & Nicholls we were bound to concede as we lost all possession after then.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Asps wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Juilian Gray played left back while he was at Barnsley earlier in the season. :shock:

Put Vincent at Full back and Hughes in the middle.

A good entertaining match yesterday. As soon as the tactical genius took off Jones & Nicholls we were bound to concede as we lost all possession after then.

Actually, I though half time did for us. Up until then, we were passing it about (despite the route one opener!), then we suddenly reverted to type after the break, hitting the long balls down the channels. All that succeeded in doing was continually hand possession straight back to them. A good job the equaliser didn't come earlier, as I think we'd have been buried then.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:13 pm

Asps wrote:

Fitting that he's with us approaching the twilight of his career. Do you reckon he's got a portrait at home - a picture of Julian Gray? Bet he looks dead old in it. :mrgreen:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:15 pm

The most appropriate word to describe yesterday's performance is probably naive.

For that 15 minute spell in which we scored twice, we had a good tempo about us and really did look threatening. Millwall, despite being playoff chasers looked ordinary at best. Our first goal showed how a front two can complement each other to form a real threat, and our second goal showed some bottle from a midfield area which hasn't produced too many shots on goal this season.
Yes, there was the odd slip-up every now and again as the pitch allowed for no consistency, but we at least used the ball well enough to make Millwall work hard. I thought Gray looked decent on the left, whilst Jones wasn't given the ball enough. Deeney continues to look the part up front too - his hold-up play is as good as we could hope for at this level.

Then we gifted them a goal. Whether there was an element of uncertainty in the backpass, or just plain nervousness on Gilmartin's part, that five second lapse cost us two points and an impressive result at home. Not only did we concede a goal, but we also put ourselves in a position where the back four clearly looked a bit shakey playing in front of Gilmartin.
Richards' sending off was always likely once he picked up a booking so early. As King Crimson has already mentioned, the right move would have been to take him off, and put two players (Hughes & Vincent) in their more accustomed positions. People are likely to have a pop at Richards for getting himself sent off, but to Millwall's credit, they targetted him, and on a pitch that bobbly, the odd foul was inevitable. What makes things so frustrating is that the management could have cut that problem out before it even arrived. The substitution came far too late.

All in all, we did OK. O'Keefe and Taundry kept things together reasonably well in the middle of midfield, given their lack of experience, and I thought McDonald dominated everything in the air at the back. Nicholls hassled and harried well, and took his goal with pure confidence. But for a couple of silly offsides, he arguably could have had a couple more goals.
A bit more foresight from Hutchings could have won us the game. I'm not jumping on the 'we're in mid-table, let's sack Hutchings' bandwagon, but a little less naivety here and there could pay divedens in future.

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season