Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southampton (A) League 1 Saturday 27/2/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Southampton (A) League 1 Saturday 27/2/10.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:56 pm

DiddyP wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
DiddyP wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:There was NO chance on tuesday! We was how many points of the play-offs then?

We'd have been 9 points behind with wins from the play offs in live league table (if we'd have won the two games); gaining 5 points on play off pack showing they're slipping up...

And with Millwall,Colchester, Huddersfield and Swindon coming up. All teams that will be there or there about towards the end of the season. No chance in hell we would of been in the play-offs.

I did say 'outside chance'.

Exactly, the word "chance".

There was NO chance what so ever!

DiddyP
Glitterati

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:58 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
DiddyP wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
DiddyP wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:There was NO chance on tuesday! We was how many points of the play-offs then?

We'd have been 9 points behind with wins from the play offs in live league table (if we'd have won the two games); gaining 5 points on play off pack showing they're slipping up...

And with Millwall,Colchester, Huddersfield and Swindon coming up. All teams that will be there or there about towards the end of the season. No chance in hell we would of been in the play-offs.

I did say 'outside chance'.

Exactly, the word "chance".

There was NO chance what so ever!

Southampton have got no chance then because they are 2 points behind us...

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Oh well, no great surprise I guess. We only mustered 5 attempts all game (2 on target, 3 off target).

I should of made the trip round the M60 to enjoy the Stockport 4-3 Wycombe game, Wycombe almost coming back from 4-0 down.
There were nearly 40 attempts on goal in that game, 25 of them on target. They're both down and out really, but at least they are still trying to put on a bit of a show for their paying fans...

:|

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Oh well, no great surprise I guess. We only mustered 5 attempts all game (2 on target, 3 off target).

I should of made the trip round the M60 to enjoy the Stockport 4-3 Wycombe game, Wycombe almost coming back from 4-0 down.
There were nearly 40 attempts on goal in that game, 25 of them on target. They're both down and out really, but at least they are still trying to put on a bit of a show for their paying fans...

Sod that, you been to a Stockport game :mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Oh well, no great surprise I guess. We only mustered 5 attempts all game (2 on target, 3 off target).

Did we have THAT many?

We will probably survive in this league if only for the fact the entire bottom half of the table is crud. 50 points should be enough.

As soon as we get them, let's get rid of Hutchings and see what MOC can do until the end of the season. The football can't be any worse...CAN IT?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:11 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

Did we have THAT many?

We will probably survive in this league if only for the fact the entire bottom half of the table is crud. 50 points should be enough.

As soon as we get them, let's get rid of Hutchings and see what MOC can do until the end of the season. The football can't be any worse...CAN IT?

Probably. It's O'Connor does all of the shouting and instructions during he game.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Depressing result but not surprising. Mrs Cully said 'it's terrible, why can't they win?'. Good question :?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:35 pm

605 Saddlers there today, our biggest away following of the season.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Fair play to good old Asps for actually bothering to call WM and get on the air. Why won't other Walsall fans make the effort if they are not happy? I know the apathy is strong, but not as bad as this, surely?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:55 pm

swiftyboy wrote:Fair play to good old Asps for actually bothering to call WM and get on the air. Why won't other Walsall fans make the effort if they are not happy? I know the apathy is strong, but not as bad as this, surely?

What did he say? I ay got it on...

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:06 pm

swiftyboy wrote:Fair play to good old Asps for actually bothering to call WM and get on the air. Why won't other Walsall fans make the effort if they are not happy? I know the apathy is strong, but not as bad as this, surely?

What did Asps have to say... did he sound pissed or just pissed off? :mrgreen:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:08 pm

moanin old git wrote:What did I say earlier folks? Incy would have kept that score respectable, as it is we were hammered (which was utterly
expected) but with Gilmartin in goal we were on to a trouncing, which was proved right.

I didn't go, was Gilmartin at fault for all the goals? For example did he fail to collect the ball when it was passed back to him? Did he stand on his line and watch the opposition head the ball into the net from 3 feet? Did he hesitate before going to collect a back pass and then stop and walk into his own defender, fall on the ground and watch as the ball was rolled into the net? Did he flap at the ball as it approached at head height and push it into the net? Did he kick the ball straight to an opposition player who then passed it to another who rolled it into the net as he looked at his right foot? Did he punch the ball straight to an opposition player and step to one side as it was blasted into the net or did he do his best despite the lack of support from some of our own fans who lack the ability to distinguish between a clown and a footballer?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Cully wrote:
moanin old git wrote:What did I say earlier folks? Incy would have kept that score respectable, as it is we were hammered (which was utterly
expected) but with Gilmartin in goal we were on to a trouncing, which was proved right.

I didn't go, was Gilmartin at fault for all the goals? For example did he fail to collect the ball when it was passed back to him? Did he stand on his line and watch the opposition head the ball into the net from 3 feet? Did he hesitate before going to collect a back pass and then stop and walk into his own defender, fall on the ground and watch as the ball was rolled into the net? Did he flap at the ball as it approached at head height and push it into the net? Did he kick the ball straight to an opposition player who then passed it to another who rolled it into the net as he looked at his right foot? Did he punch the ball straight to an opposition player and step to one side as it was blasted into the net or did he do his best despite the lack of support from some of our own fans who lack the ability to distinguish between a clown and a footballer?

Tip of the cap to you, seal cull.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Why didnt you ring in then?

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:33 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

I've probably rang WM more times than you have posted on here, so don't come the big in

SWS1

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Of course, we scored too early :wink:
If we'd kept it to 0 - 0 then scored in the last minute we'd probably have won. Simples. Tsk! :wink:
Why can't O'Hutchins work that out? :roll:
I'm obviously a master tactician. :mrgreen:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
What did Asps have to say... did he sound pead or just pead off?

He basically sounded a little peed, but VERY VERY peed of with Hutchings.

Daz Hale was saying it's the same old story with Walsall, in the way that we have no money, and have to rely on free signings, and youth, so who else could do better with no resources, and Ian rightly said, that he doesn't care about the fact that we lose, it's that Hutchings seems incapable of making tactical substitutions, and made bad decisions yet again today

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:47 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:

I've probably rang WM more times than you have posted on here, so don't come the big in

Why didnt you ring today then if your so concerned?
So dont come the big what?

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:34 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

I used to speak to Daz Hale regularly about the state of the club. He knows my feelings, and they are generally about my dislike for Jeff Bonser. Hence I'm am advised not call as I wouldn't be put on air anyway. Good enough reason for you?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:41 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:

I used to speak to Daz Hale regularly about the state of the club. He knows my feelings, and they are generally about my dislike for Jeff Bonser. Hence I'm am advised not call as I wouldn't be put on air anyway. Good enough reason for you?

Fair enough

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:50 pm

EMBARASSING.

elfobeiro

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:59 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:EMBARASSING.

that should be the match report on the front page.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:27 pm

elfobeiro wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:EMBARASSING.

that should be the match report on the front page.

It's particularly embarrassing when posters cannot even spell a one word post correctly. UNBELIEVABLE. :roll:

Great goal by Dr Evil, then it all went downhill rapidly.

There were more holes in the defence than notches on John Terry's bedpost. It also looked as if the "defenders" had no confidence at all in Gilmartin.
At least we looked more lively in attack when Jones came on - Deeney and Nicholls actually woke up at last.
Men against Boys over the 90 minutes.
Strangely, I'm not really bothered too much by this tanking. It was expected, the season's been over for some weeks, and it's another ground ticked off.
Good support for the 1st 30 minutes anyway.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Not long just got in and it was embarrassing!

Stating the obvious but:

Clueless manager
Clueless tactics
No Creativity
No Desire
No Class

Gilmartin- Need to look at the goals again but looked pretty much helpless for all, poor kicking!
Westlake- Looked out of his depth
Vincent- Didnt mark his player all game!
Mcdonald- Looked very poor today, Lambert won every header
Richards- Cracking free kick, hoofs the ball at every opportunity!

Nicholls- Looks far better than the middle
Taundry- Chased shadows all game
O'Keefe- Same as taundry
Gray- Dont think i have seen him run forward with the ball!

Byfield- Didnt do much and hasn't for a while now
Deeney- Didnt turn up! first touch was terrible

Jones- was our best player and only played 10mins!
Weston- Offered more than westlake

Very poor, Hats off to southampton, we were outclassed but that isn't hard at the moment!

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:50 pm

How dare we have scored first? that'll teach us Eh! Lets now concentrate on reaching that magic 50 points,luckily we play
some pretty poor teams in early April, hopefully we may have got close to the target before we go to the Galpharm for
another hammering.

Im in no way a Gilamrtin fan mate but he was blameless today, made a few good saves in all fairness.
Time for Hutchings to go clueless! good support today even at 4 and 5-1

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:55 pm

I listened to the game on sadsworld. Seemed to be a battering, but not the fault of Gilmartin.

Jones return seemed to be the only positive.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:15 pm

my lad as just got back . he tells me Deeney gave his shirt to a fan, as that happened before this season .

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Disgraceful. Nothing short of that. The players should be ashamed to call themselves footballlers.

Gilmartin- Not realy for blame on any of the goals.
Westlake- Not his best game
Vincent- Was solid in stages, but fell apart most the match
Mcdonald- Awful
Richards- Probably one of the more solid performances of the afternoon

Nicholls- Non existant most the game
Taundry- Chased shadows all game
O'Keefe- He was playing?
Gray- Shocking

Byfield- Looked lazy and uninterested.
Deeney- Shocking

Jones- Did more in the few minutes he was on than the rest did all game
Weston- Solid and looked to get forward

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Duke wrote:my lad as just got back . he tells me Deeney gave his shirt to a fan, as that happened before this season .

He did yes, he has done it this season at Wycombe and I can remeber him doing at Scunthorpe last season after equalising then missing a sitter and said sorry i should have won it for you. Shame a few of the others didnt follow suit after such a shambolic display would of given a few fans a bit of a consolation after watching that pile of you know what.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Im not really bothered about not winning, they have the best squad in the league by far. That said, you shouldnt concede 5 to anybody.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season