Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southampton (A) League 1 Saturday 27/2/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
clawtheolder
Glitterati

Re: Southampton (A) League 1 Saturday 27/2/10.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:19 pm

I`m sorry to say but Rene reminded me today of a player who had been picked from a parks team to play for his favorite team. imho :cry:

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Southampton are a good side. Having seen them twice now this season I'm a bit confused as to why, despite the 10 point reduction, they aren't doing better.

Having said that we did our best to make them look good. Having given ourselves something to fight for and hold on to with a smashing Richards free-kick, we failed abysmally to rise to the occasion. I can probably exempt Rene, Vincent and Richards, who looks a lot better at left-back. The rest though were poor. Some didn't seem to want to fight - Gray epitomised this, appearing more aggressive in berating his young team-mates than in any of his play. Some were simply out of their depth - Taundry, O'keefe and Westlake falling into this catagory. Byfield and Deeney lacked any kind of service.

On the bright side, Jones made a difference when he came on and looked quite sharp.

Still, a good day out, a pint or two in the town which is only 10 minutes walk from the ground and 600 odd Walsall fans in fine voice and fine humour. Only a few will have travelled in expectation but I believe we all, nevertheless, deserved so much more from our outclassed, out-thought and out-fought team.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:38 pm

went to southampton today as it was a new ground for me

firstly make no bones about it southampton have a very good set up nice stadium reasonable fans and a bloody good football team.
having gone one nil up very early on it was only a matter of time before southampton got back into the match as they literally carved their way through our non existant midfield time after time.
we had very little response to quickly going 2-1 down and after wave after wave attack i wasnt suprised to see us go into break 3-1 down.
to be fair it was a justified scoreline as we looked like little boys against men.
we came out and soon conceded a fourth and we were struggling to even get into their half.
in all fairness the last 20 minutes we did have some possession but i think that was more due to the fact that southampton were sitting back waiting for the clock to wind down.
then as we couldnt cut the lead at all they broke and scored just before the 90 minutes were up.
they nearly scored a sixth in stoppage time and it wouldnt be unkind to say it could have been double figures if it wasnt for a few waywood finishes and a few off the line from our last defenders.
in truth their wasnt one player for us that came out of this match with any credit for us although when jones came on we did at least attack a little.
i didnt expect to come away with much but true walsall fashion we lay down gave them respect and had our bellies tickled.
have to say a very noisy walsall following and respect to all the away fans we sang through most the match and also had a laugh when cheering any passing form our side late on and singing were s h i t and we know we are.
we need to find 3 wins to make sure we dont get dragged into the relegation mix and im sure well get them but the last 2 matches have done nothing to get the possible earlybird walsall fans writing out any cheques.
think the pressure will be on hutchings from the fans if we keep playing like this but again i just dont think the current bunch of players are good enough at this level so maybe being midtable is doing well this season??

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:56 pm

My first game for a long time, don't think I can add much to what everyone else has said.

Superb free kick for the goal and that was the only bit of class we showed. Gilmartin didn't look comfortable patting the ball down a lot when it should have been collected, I don't think his defence have much confidence in him either they were racing to clear the ball rather than let him collect it.He has obviously been taking kicking lessons from Ince I think he only got one decent one all game.

Midfield were AWOL too often and we played hoof ball for most of the game, I think they made us look like a park side!!

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:24 pm

Duke wrote:my lad as just got back . he tells me Deeney gave his shirt to a fan, as that happened before this season .

Perhaps the fan will be in next weeks starting eleven, couldn't really do any worse.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:45 pm

I don't understand this Rene or Clayton debate.

NEITHER OF THEM are good enough.

RUBBISH - put the youth team goalkepper in.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:00 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I don't understand this Rene or Clayton debate.

Are you smoking something ?
If so, can i have some ?????????

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:05 am

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:

What are you on about ?

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:10 am

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:

I'm smoking the same as Bangor because I think the same.
Not quite as harsh as Old Git but Gilmartin did look a fault with 4th and 5th.
Having said that he hardly had any help from our midfeild or defence the entire game.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:14 am

RUBBISH - put the youth team goalkeeper in.

Have you SEEN the Youth Team 'keeper? :shock: :?

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:24 am

One more thing the multi- ball thing with the ball boys.
Just wondered if it was the first time they had used them and if it was a Pardew tactic to keep a high tempo game.
I say this because there was an PA appeal for the fans to throw the ball back to the ballboys not onto the pitch so it didn't seem well rehersed.
As for the game to quote something Pardew said on MOTD2 a while ago, we were "absolutely raped".
Honest he did say that on MOTD2!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:29 am

Just watched the goals. Rubbish.

The defending was atrocious, and Gilmartin looked like a parks keeper. Not good enough.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:36 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Just watched the goals. Rubbish.

The defending was atrocious, and Gilmartin looked like a parks keeper. Not good enough.

He couldnt even hack it at Hednesford though, what do we expect lol

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:55 am

I reckon we should put Mick Kearns in goal next week!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:09 am

swiftyboy wrote:I reckon we should put Mick Kearns in goal next week!

:lol:

He's probably more agile than Gilmartin.

james78
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:13 am

:evil:
latviancheese wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Just watched the goals. Rubbish.

He couldnt even hack it at Hednesford though, what do we expect lol

:evil: what else do we expect from walsall at the minute? bunch of clueless rejects with a clueless reject of a manager with a scumbag chairman who doesnt give a monkeys about the football side of the club and never has :evil:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:14 am

Just heard Asps match report on my answer phone from earlier on and I quote:

"Bonser out, Huthcings out, turnips out..................."

Sounds like we showed some promise then :D

james78
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:17 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Just heard Asps match report on my answer phone from earlier on and I quote:

"Bonser out, Huthcings out, turnips out..................."

Sounds like we showed some promise then :D

all of them out apart from jones!!! spineless performance today no heart at all :evil:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:26 am

I thought this was an awful decision by Hutchings today, bringing in Gilmartin in such a game as this. OK, Ince may have been at fault in some instances lately, but he's also saved a darned sight more than he's conceded, so he could have been retained for this game and might have done well. If not, he could have been dropped and Rene eased back in with an easier game next week. It was absolutely obvious that we would come under massive pressure away at St Mary's today, and the last thing Rene needed was to come in and get a sackful hammered past him. Whether any were his fault or not is not the issue, he still conceded five, and that's something Ince has not done all season.

So how is Rene's confidence tonight? Shot to pieces probably, after getting his chance and seeing five hit the net and numerous others going past him and being cleared off the line by defenders?

He shouldn't have been exposed like this, so for me it was a crazy piece of judgment on Hutching part, to expose Rene to all of that on his comeback. :x

UTS Legend

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:44 am

geoffwhiting wrote:I thought this was an awful decision by Hutchings today, bringing in Gilmartin in such a game as this. OK, Ince may have been at fault in some instances lately, but he's also saved a darned sight more than he's conceded, so he could have been retained for this game and might have done well. If not, he could have been dropped and Rene eased back in with an easier game next week. It was absolutely obvious that we would come under massive pressure away at St Mary's today, and the last thing Rene needed was to come in and get a sackful hammered past him. Whether any were his fault or not is not the issue, he still conceded five, and that's something Ince has not done all season.

So how is Rene's confidence tonight? Shot to pieces probably, after getting his chance and seeing five hit the net and numerous others going past him and being cleared off the line by defenders?

He shouldn't have been exposed like this, so for me it was a crazy piece of judgment on Hutching part, to expose Rene to all of that on his comeback. :x

For once, I absolutely agree with Geoff...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:08 am

portlandbill wrote:
Duke wrote:my lad as just got back . he tells me Deeney gave his shirt to a fan, as that happened before this season .

Perhaps the fan will be in next weeks starting eleven, couldn't really do any worse.

It was me he gave it to so I could do worse, but at least i'd run around a bit, which is more than some players do. :D

I hope the young lad I gave it to treasures it, although it wasn't the best game to remember every time he looks at it!

Not bothered about the game, they're an excellent side and should be highger than they are. Their fans are morons though. If they take that much pleasure from beating little Walsall then their ambitions aren't much higher than Jeff Bonser's. We still have more points them despite their resources, and we're awful. And we'll be playing them again next season. It might take them a while to realise that like Leeds, Forest, Wednesday etc that because they have a few more fans they aren't guaranteed an instant way out of this division.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 am

geoffwhiting wrote:I thought this was an awful decision by Hutchings today, bringing in Gilmartin in such a game as this. OK, Ince may have been at fault in some instances lately, but he's also saved a darned sight more than he's conceded, so he could have been retained for this game and might have done well. If not, he could have been dropped and Rene eased back in with an easier game next week. It was absolutely obvious that we would come under massive pressure away at St Mary's today, and the last thing Rene needed was to come in and get a sackful hammered past him. Whether any were his fault or not is not the issue, he still conceded five, and that's something Ince has not done all season.

He shouldn't have been exposed like this, so for me it was a crazy piece of judgment on Hutching part, to expose Rene to all of that on his comeback.

I agree Geoff. Another in a long line of bad decisions on the managers part!

Makes you wonder what they put in the managers half time cup of tea at The Banks's?

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:22 am

I tend to agree, Geoff.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:42 am

[quote="Graydon48"]One more thing the multi- ball thing with the ball boys.
Just wondered if it was the first time they had used them and if it was a Pardew tactic to keep a high tempo game.
I say this because there was an PA appeal for the fans to throw the ball back to the ballboys not onto the pitch so it didn't seem well rehersed.
As for the game to quote something Pardew said on MOTD2 a while ago, we were "absolutely raped".
Honest he did say that on MOTD2![/
quote]

I remember your namesake Sir Ray saying the same thing after a 4-1 home defeat to Crewe in the Championship.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 am

Spot on Geoff... I have been saying all season that Mr Clueless really hasnt a clue when it comes to management. Unless Ince was injured, playing Rene yesterday was a bad call - Why?. *Lambert posed a real threat in the air yesterday, yet we had Vincent covering him and not Macdonald - Why? *Richards and Gray were exploited all game by Puncheon who probably had the easiest saturday afternoon of his career as neither were close enough to put a tackle in or had the nouse to show him inside onto his weaker foot - Why? *Nicholls was playing too narrow and was therefore never an outlet in going fwd as a pass to him was never on - Why? *Taundry and O'Keefe at times were guilty of playing too deep and giving far to much time to the saints midfield leaving Deeney and Byfield Isolated up front - Why?..... the list goes on and on and on..... each week.

I really didnt expect a win yesterday, but after a 6 hour round trip plus tickets and fuel costs I expected at least a performance. Thing is, we have a very poor manager who cannot see that under his tenure he has actually assembled a weaker team than last season, more alarming he is bereft of any tactical solutions and formation ideas and is guessing with playing players out of position all the time, I wouldnt give him another season - he can take Till, Parkin and ten others with him.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:53 am

Geoff I don't understand your reasoning in your post. The facts are:- Ince has been playing poorly for the last few games I have seen. He has made basis mistakes like poor judgement which have cost us goals. To say 'that he's saved a darned sight more than he's conceeded' and he 'might have done well' for this game is quite franly pointless. At what stage does a manager drop a player, Ince has had his chance and it was not before time that he was dropped. All goal keepers save more than they conceed, it's their job, if you had seen Gilmartin in any of his previous games you might have had a different view. No one is denying that Ince has great experience but he is clearly failing in the fundimentals of keeping, he rarely catches the ball, instead he has started to punch the ball even when unopposed and his judgement and anticipation is extremely poor especially when it involves his defenders around the edge of the box. Rene Gilmartin is 22years old and has plenty of experience in the first team, to suggest he needs protecting from the big games and only plays in the 'easier' games is quite frankly ludicrous. I'm sure he realises that he is part of a team and that he won't be expected to shoulder the blame for the 5 goals conceeded, unfortunately that is not the case when it comes to supporters who haven't seen him play and instead conjure up a raft of 'reasons' why he both he and the management are at fault.
Apart from all that I agree that Hutchings makes awful decisions :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:57 am

"He's saved us more points than he's dropped"

Maybe but he's catching up pretty quickly!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:20 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:"He's saved us more points than he's dropped"

Maybe but he's catching up pretty quickly!

Silly statement really, i would expect he's saves u more points than dropped, hes the bloody goalkeeper!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:46 am

Yes, an ageing goalkeeper that is making the defence in front of him look very nervous.

Yesterday wasn't an ideal game for Gilmartin to step in but he'll never improve until he learns to deal with the downs of conceding a number of goals. In a perverse way he'll learn from that experience and should make him stronger for it.

It would be typical WFC short termism to continue to play Ince this season. He still makes some good saves and is a decent enough keeper at this level but we can't keep playing him. If we do we might as well get rid of Gilmartin now. We're not going up, and we're not going down this season so stick Gilmartin in and lets find out if, given a decent run in the team he's worth keeping for next season. I think he'll prove that given time.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Cully wrote:

Geoff I don't understand your reasoning in your post. The facts are:- Ince has been playing poorly for the last few games I have seen. He has made basis mistakes like poor judgement which have cost us goals. To say 'that he's saved a darned sight more than he's conceeded' and he 'might have done well' for this game is quite franly pointless. At what stage does a manager drop a player, Ince has had his chance and it was not before time that he was dropped. All goal keepers save more than they conceed, it's their job, if you had seen Gilmartin in any of his previous games you might have had a different view. No one is denying that Ince has great experience but he is clearly failing in the fundimentals of keeping, he rarely catches the ball, instead he has started to punch the ball even when unopposed and his judgement and anticipation is extremely poor especially when it involves his defenders around the edge of the box. Rene Gilmartin is 22years old and has plenty of experience in the first team, to suggest he needs protecting from the big games and only plays in the 'easier' games is quite frankly ludicrous. I'm sure he realises that he is part of a team and that he won't be expected to shoulder the blame for the 5 goals conceeded, unfortunately that is not the case when it comes to supporters who haven't seen him play and instead conjure up a raft of 'reasons' why he both he and the management are at fault.
Apart from all that I agree that Hutchings makes awful decisions :D

Cully, I am not saying that Rene needs protecting from the big games, but IMHO this was not the best one to bring him back. It was always likely to end in defeat against arguably the best team in League One, so what was there to lose in retaining Ince for this one further game? Seeing five fly past him into the net, and several other goal attempts beating him and prevented from entering the net by defenders, is not going to have done anything at all for Rene's confidence or morale, regardless of whether or not he was to blame for all or any of them.

It is not ludicrous at all to suggest that Clayton could have played this game and stepped aside for the home game vs Millwall next Saturday, giving Rene the opportunity to slip back into the team in a less fired-up atmosphere than St Mary's.

I could equally say it is ludicrous on your part that you can't recognise this view, but we all have our opinions and I respect yours as entirely valid, while defending my own as equally valid. I would add that a number of other respected posters have agreed with me, which I think also adds weight to my opinion.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season