Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Tuesday 23/2/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Re: Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Tuesday 23/2/10.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:45 am

Pedagogue wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:What an absolutely dire performance.

NOT A SINGLE SHOT ON TARGET

HUTCHINGS FLOCK OFF

Unfair and untrue - Richard Taundry had a shot on target in the 87th minute! :cry: :twisted:

Yes, and it was blocked at least 15 yards from goal, so I, for one, didn't count it.

Last Saturday just papered over the cracks, in that we only had three shots on target, of which two went in. In the last four home games (360 minutes of football), we have hit the target (you know, the way you score goals) just 6 times, once every hour. It's all very well winning the odd game away from home, where you can sit back and take an odd chance, but you have to break teams down at home and our tactics are just to keep hoofing the ball forward, which means just giving posession away time and time again. The first rule of football is that while you have the round white thing, you can score and they can't. That page was obviously missing out of Hutchings's Janet and John Book of Football Coaching.

In the immortal words, we were lucky to get nil last night.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:14 am

Pedagogue wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:What an absolutely dire performance.

NOT A SINGLE SHOT ON TARGET

HUTCHINGS FLOCK OFF

Unfair and untrue - Richard Taundry had a shot on target in the 87th minute! :cry: :twisted:

The O/S states we had one shot on target

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/MatchRep ... 98,00.html

Dismal

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:48 am

One question:

did their keeper make a save?

answer:

No.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:57 am

philthesaddler wrote:One question:

did their keeper make a save?

answer:

No.

No, I think he is taking legal action against our strikes for him getting frost bite.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:49 am

Why play 3 players in defence out of position?
why not give grigg a chance? (whats gonan happen, less then 0 shots on target)
why give jones 30 mins in the reserves a week ago and not give him at least 10-15 minutes in the first team the following week, when he's needed?

why oh why oh wny can't hutch make a sub, i know theres not much to choose from on the bench but at least do something.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 am

The bloke is a fake.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Why is Hughes on the bench? Vincent at centre back? & Richards at left back ?!?!?!

Last night was absolute Toss, Julian Gray can **** rite off, he should of even stayed on the field last night

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Why is Hughes on the bench? Vincent at centre back? & Richards at left back ?!?!?!

Last night was absolute Toss, Julian Gray can **** right off, he should of even stayed on the field last night

Because Hughes probably isn't fully fit yet but needs to be on the bench because we haven't got much choice. Vincent has played the last few seasons at centre half and Richards, most of his career at left back so no problems there, apart from the fact they're awful.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:33 pm

saddlerJP wrote:Why play 3 players in defence out of position?
why give jones 30 mins in the reserves a week ago and not give him at least 10-15 minutes in the first team the following week, when he's needed?

why oh why oh wny can't hutch make a sub, i know theres not much to choose from on the bench but at least do something.

I may be well wide of the mark here, but it seems strange to me that it's the latter stages of every season that we question the lack of substitutions in games.

It makes me wonder if it's anything to do with preventing appearance fee's etc kicking in?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:45 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
saddlerJP wrote:Why play 3 players in defence out of position?

I may be well wide of the mark here, but it seems strange to me that it's the latter stages of every season that we question the lack of substitutions in games.

It makes me wonder if it's anything to do with preventing appearance fee's etc kicking in?

Hutchings has done this all season, not just now so cut the conspiracy theories. In any case players get appearance fees whether they're on the bench or on the pitch.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Hutchings has done this all season, not just now so cut the conspiracy theories. In any case players get appearance fees whether they're on the bench or on the pitch.

So what were all the problems in previous seasons about then regarding keeping players out the team for that reason?

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:05 pm

So it would appear that we were pretty dire last night just like for the vast majority of the season.. Some good things did, however, come from last night. I didn't go and so saved myself about £25 in petrol and in the longer term saved myself about £200 on a season ticket and approx £550 on petrol. Can get myself a week's holiday with that.

Thank you and goodnight Hutchins

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:55 pm

No words can describe that performance. No organisation, no quality, no tactics, lethargic, awful, dismal, dreadful, pathetic, effortless, crap, horrendous. Just shite.
Below are things i 'got' from last nights match.

- I love clayton ince as a man but the goalkeeper in him is now officially past it.
- Smith is not a full back.
- We miss Mattis one hell of a lot when he isnt there, wycombe proved it and tonight even more.
- Darren Byfield is a walking conman, that enjoys diving and cant be bothered now he's got his contract.
- O'keefe is the second bradley.
- Julian Gray is worse than Kevin Betsy and Carlos Carneiro.
- Deeney isnt quick enough or strong enough to be anything more than a 'decent' league one striker
- Taundry doesn't have a clue what to do (lumping 25 yard balls round the back of defenders to the illustrious over-lapping 'fullback' manny smith)
- Our attendaces are now mid table league 2 and over time that's where we'll end up.
- Our manager cannot send 11 players out to a football pitch with any form of guidance of tactics.
- Yeovil are shite and so is the standard of this league - particularly this season.
- Richards is better at full back.
- Clayton Mcdonald will be our next 'sold' player.
- Vincent is turning out to be a better centre half than left back.

The overall individual performance.

Ince - I admire the 'man' as a personality and he has won us many, many points. But the goalkeeper in him is now finished. Cant kick, doesn't communicate with the back 4 and his decision making is sunday league at best.
Smith - Did okay, but has worse ball skills than Ian Roper and thats exposed at full back. Constantly called out and will never be a full back.
Vincent - One of the few players who remained calm and controlled and defended as he should.
Mcdonald - Best defender on the pitch, industrious, energetic, good in the air, composed, has good ball skills. Likes to get forward and is eager, i like the man.
Richards - Better at full back, but still slow and likes hoofing. A nippy winger will rip him a new anal ring.
Nicholls - Quiet at times, but the only player with a bit off attacking invention when he did get involved.
O'keefe - Another bradley, slow, skinny and in-effective.
Taundry - Decent at tackling and likes getting stuck in, his distribution is poor at times and he still shows signs of a lack of experience.
Gray - Worst loan signing for a very long time. Cant run, is too lightweight, never crosses, never skins his man. Awful ,waste of wages. Get rid.
Byfield - Has clearly gott'n what he came for (a long contract) and now he's got it, cant be bothered to do anything. His first touch is atrocious, his attitude awful, his movement is now non-existant and im starting to see why Oldham and so many teams in recent times have gottn' rid. His constant diving and the way he trotts back onside after an 'attack' is really starting to grate on me.
Deeney - Lots of effort. Not much quality. People rave on about him, but lets face it if he didnt work hard he wouldnt be a fan favourite. He doesn't have much pace, isnt that strong, doesn't win that many headers, hasnt got many skills and wont beat a man. Ok so he's a decent league one striker, but people talking about his move to a better league are mad. All of his flawes would be exposed in the championship.

Rant over. 3 points at southampton coming up. :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Sadders wrote:No words can describe that performance. No organisation, no quality, no tactics, lethargic, awful, dismal, dreadful, pathetic, effortless, crud, horrendous. Just guano.
Below are things i 'got' from last nights match.

- I love clayton ince as a man but the goalkeeper in him is now officially past it.
- Smith is not a full back.
- We miss Mattis one hell of a lot when he isnt there, wycombe proved it and tonight even more.
- Darren Byfield is a walking conman, that enjoys diving and cant be bothered now he's got his contract.
- O'keefe is the second bradley.
- Julian Gray is worse than Kevin Betsy and Carlos Carneiro.
- Deeney isnt quick enough or strong enough to be anything more than a 'decent' league one striker
- Taundry doesn't have a clue what to do (lumping 25 yard balls round the back of defenders to the illustrious over-lapping 'fullback' manny smith)
- Our attendaces are now mid table league 2 and over time that's where we'll end up.
- Our manager cannot send 11 players out to a football pitch with any form of guidance of tactics.
- Yeovil are guano and so is the standard of this league - particularly this season.
- Richards is better at full back.
- Clayton Mcdonald will be our next 'sold' player.
- Vincent is turning out to be a better centre half than left back.

The overall individual performance.

Ince - I admire the 'man' as a personality and he has won us many, many points. But the goalkeeper in him is now finished. Cant kick, doesn't communicate with the back 4 and his decision making is sunday league at best.
Smith - Did okay, but has worse ball skills than Ian Roper and thats exposed at full back. Constantly called out and will never be a full back.
Vincent - One of the few players who remained calm and controlled and defended as he should.
Mcdonald - Best defender on the pitch, industrious, energetic, good in the air, composed, has good ball skills. Likes to get forward and is eager, i like the man.
Richards - Better at full back, but still slow and likes hoofing. A nippy winger will rip him a new anal ring.
Nicholls - Quiet at times, but the only player with a bit off attacking invention when he did get involved.
O'keefe - Another bradley, slow, skinny and in-effective.
Taundry - Decent at tackling and likes getting stuck in, his distribution is poor at times and he still shows signs of a lack of experience.
Gray - Worst loan signing for a very long time. Cant run, is too lightweight, never crosses, never skins his man. Awful ,waste of wages. Get rid.
Byfield - Has clearly gott'n what he came for (a long contract) and now he's got it, cant be bothered to do anything. His first touch is atrocious, his attitude awful, his movement is now non-existant and im starting to see why Oldham and so many teams in recent times have gottn' rid. His constant diving and the way he trotts back onside after an 'attack' is really starting to grate on me.
Deeney - Lots of effort. Not much quality. People rave on about him, but lets face it if he didnt work hard he wouldnt be a fan favourite. He doesn't have much pace, isnt that strong, doesn't win that many headers, hasnt got many skills and wont beat a man. Ok so he's a decent league one striker, but people talking about his move to a better league are mad. All of his flawes would be exposed in the championship.

Rant over. 3 points at southampton coming up. :D

But you'll have a try :mrgreen: :wink:

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Saddlers, Gray isnt on loan. Got him till end of the season.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Ahhh that makes things even worse matt!!

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:57 pm

I dont think O'Keefe had a bad game last night, are you forgetting he nearly banged 1 in the bottom corner, easily our best chance of the game, he's definatly better than Bradley anyway.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:25 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:I dont think O'Keefe had a bad game last night, are you forgetting he nearly banged 1 in the bottom corner, easily our best chance of the game, he's definatly better than Bradley anyway.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was caught ball watching way to often!

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season