Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/2/10

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
mel58
UTS Veteran

Re: Leeds United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/2/10

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:06 am

A great night. The sort of night that makes supporting the Saddlers - and enduring the heartache and disappointment that goes with it - worthwhile.
While Leeds weren't at their best I think our approach to the game was a lot more hard-headed than on our other visits. We made it hard for them to play their game; constantly pressuring and keeping our shape well.
Deeney is really developing a presence up front, even when he's not scoring his link up play is coming on so much.Gray had a great game, he really put in a shift. This benefitted Richards who, also, had an excellent game and stuck to his task well. Vincent, again, used his experience well. McDonald was great again tonight. Unfair to highlight indivivduals though, it was a great team performance. Great noise by the fans too. We have the makings of a good team, if performances like this are anything to go by. Lets see if we can avoid another case of 'After the Lord Mayor's Show' this saturday and press on for the rest of the season.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:33 am

Was at a Chinese New Year do in Lichfield tonight, just got in and logged on to UTS. Kept an eye on progress via the internet on my mobile, and couldn't believe the score when we went 1 up. Even better, after conceding the equaliser, was to still come back to take the points. Awesome result, and SO satisfying against the "Champions of Europe!". Possibly the most satisfying result in many a year, even including the promotion games, because it means so much to stick one up those self-important pillocks from Yorkshire.

Makes me wonder just how we can win at Brizzle Rovers, lose the easiest game of the three at Oldham, then take the points tonight - so frustrating and yet such joy tonight to put one over the Leeds machine.

Saw the goals on Sky a while ago, and theirs was a complete fluke. I don't blame Clayton Ince, it was clearly a totally mis-hit cross that understandably deceived him. Clayton went for where he anticipated the ball would be delivered, and it seemed a fair choice to me. McSheffrey's contact was very poor but fortuitous, and it totally wrong-footed Clayton, as it would any 'keeper, and ended up in the net. It's extremely harsh, and IMHO totally out of order, to blame Ince for that one error, on a night when he's played a full part in gaining the three most unlikely points of the season.

The Chinese New Year Party was superb, and this result was definitely the icing on the cake. Now, a little consistency please, to take us past the 50 point mark, although I think tonight's points have more or less assured us that we can put aside any of those relegation fears that had been building up in recent weeks.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:03 am

Brilliant. :D :D :D

'Nuff said.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:17 am

Hope you enjoyed your cup final :wink:

Well done as the Leeds machine grinds to a halt

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:http://www.ustream.tv/channel/broadcast99

Live radio stream if anyone doesnt have sad world.....

1-1 mcshefery

Post of the year just for the link so we could hear the half hearted boo's echo around elland road. And the commentators bemoan the missed opportunitie's we were the better team. We should beat teams like this. What joy it was to listen to

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:17 am

bangsection wrote:Had a very enjoyable drive back to York listening to Radio Leeds and, to be fair, none of the Leeds callers I heard were moaning about McDonald's goal - just about how poor they'd been.

They're a sad, deluded bunch though. My favourite was a bloke who rang in bemoaning the fact that they were only three points ahead of Colchester in the table: "I mean, Colchester United [like they were something he'd just found on his shoe], Colchester United! We're Leeds United and we're only three points ahead of Colchester United! Now, I'm not one of these pigheaded Leeds fans who thinks we have a divine right to be in the Premier League but..." Colchester have, of course, been in the Championship more recently than Leeds.

They really do have no sense of irony, do they? Wasn't wearing any colours tonight but outside the ground I couldn't keep the big grin off my face and some neanderthal took a kick at me as he walked past. Luckily he was true to the night's script and missed!

:mrgreen: :lol:

windowman
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:23 am

well the chairman has backed the manager in mcd and grey, club talking to fans at focus meetings, sold no players in jan, best result in years , 6pts from 3 away games, what will the gate be on saturday ?,

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 am

windowman wrote:well the chairman has backed the manager in mcd and grey, club talking to fans at focus meetings, sold no players in jan, best result in years , 6pts from 3 away games, what will the gate be on saturday ?,

3849. The directors will thank us for our support though.
:(

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:36 am

Outstanding result in the words of Jim Bowen super smashing great :D

We may have rode our luck at times but who cares WE BEAT THE SCUM :D

Ulster Saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:52 am

Fantastic result to warm the cockles.

How come we can do this and then perform so badly at other times.

Would loved to have been there - well done to the loyal gladiators who were at the game supporting the Saddlers.

UP THE SADDLERS

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 am

Fantastic result!! I couldn't believe it!

I think the gate on Saturday will be higher than usual after this and I think windowman's point is very valid.

Shame we are 12 points adrift of the play-offs, we can dream I suppose. You never know.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:22 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Priestley - would you be so kind as to let me know what it is you're taking..... I could do with some of that!!!

Even though it's my birthday I can't see the Saddlers coming away from Elland Road with anything better than a 3-0 defeat. All goals in the second half.

You what? You what? You what you what you what?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 am

Well, I was half right - it was 0-0 at half time.....

I got taken out to a posh country-house hotel for a slap-up birthday meal, but I made sure I had my mobile with me to check on the score as the match progressed. Couldn't believe my eyes, both at 0-1 and 1-2!!! Having seen the reports from those who went to Leeds, we seem to have played exactly the same as we did at Bristol Rovers, a team effort with no weak links, and plenty of real work from everyone chasing and getting stuck in.

I haven't seen any posts from beckford09 though..... wonder why? Lovely thought from bittertreehugger though - thanks for that!! Onwards and upwards - UTS.

'Utch

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:04 am

Ow do all.

I'm a returning poster (used to be The Uttoxeter Saddler) but was so inspired by last nights result felt compelled to post again. Some of the other comments really struck a chord...despite some of the dismal performances and all the other antics surrounding the club, sticking 2 past those northen monkeys makes it all worth while.

If any of the players read this - and I hope they do - well done doesn't come close...feckin brilliant is a bit nearer. Believe it or not, the supporters of this little club are a passionate lot and will get behind you 100%...all you gotta do now is do it all over again!

Beating Leeds 2 - 1...brings a smile to my face just typing it. :D

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:12 am

the bbc 606 message board for leeds was entertaining reading last night

Addis Saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:21 am

What's that noise - must be Don Revie turning in his grave....

So, when are we going to parade the cup around the town?

Great result. Watched Sky Sports News and Dean Windass was gibbering away in broad Yorkshire not even mentioning us, but we had the last laugh. See you next season Leeds.

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:29 am

Well done lads -very proud Saddler.
I predicted a 1-1 but am delighted to be wrong.
We need to galvanize the 'feel good' factor now and turn it into winning against lesser teams.

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 am

Fantastic result.This is what it's all about to be a Walsall fan.These moments don't happen often but when they do it makes it all worthwhile!
Only disappointment was that there wasn't enough of us there to enjoy it!

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:37 am

There getting a bit worried now in the words of Kevin Keegan 'Love It'. :D
http://www.waccoe.com/index.php?showtopic=174813

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:39 am

A really, really enjoyable evening....especially when compared to the direness of Saturday. Thought we were really competitive and did not allow Leeds much at all. At half-time I could not see us scoring, but then some excellent work by Gray led to Mattis's well taken goal. I wondered whether Ince had been shot by someone - the way that he seemed to slump to the ground as that fluke cross sailed over his head into the goal. We could easily have buckled but well done for the 'team performance' after that and I thought we thoroughly deserved the winner. I could not see whether it was over from where I was & it's always a bit odd when a goal is given by the linesman in that way but who cares, after league defeats at Elland Rd in 1962,1963,1989,2008 & 2009, I am very happy with 2010!

My son & daughter both work in Leeds so were very much looking forward to discussing the game at work this morning!
Enjoyed the moaning Leeds fans after the game on Radio Leeds as well.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:51 am

m&m wrote:Fantastic result.This is what it's all about to be a Walsall fan.These moments don't happen often but when they do it makes it all worthwhile!
Only disappointment was that there wasn't enough of us there to enjoy it!

Mate the 300 or 400 certainly made up for the lack of numbers in noise.

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 am

Absolutely awesome result . First home defeat of the season for Leeds says it all.

Everyone has said well done to the players , but also to Hutch and Moc for their part . Our away record wouldnt look out of place in the play off positions.

As another poster said, looking at a half full glass:

Avoided the really dire financial probs of many other clubs, and no point 10 points deduction for admin .
No sales in January.
Two new recruits , both of good calibre who wouldnt have come cheap.
Tenth place despite being without our best player since December .
Just won away at Leeds.

If we cant get 4 bleeedin thousand on Sat then god help us .

UP THE SADDLERS

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:16 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:=The Chinese New Year Party was superb, and this result was definitely the icing on the cake.

Don't you mean 'fortune in the cookie'? :mrgreen:

Fantastic result. So pleased.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:25 pm

According to the BBC's football website that was Leeds' first home defeat in 26 games..... and it couldn't have happened against a nicer club!!!

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 pm

Your right MILO but I fear about the same as usual 3k turnout.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:34 pm

m&m wrote:Your right MILO but I fear about the same as usual 3k turnout.

But dont forget that the sun offer is in force for saturday. 4 tickets for £19.50

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:39 pm

That wont bring in anybody, probably draw in about 6 and a half fans, cause Walsall is a town that doesnt give a cack about its football club.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Just seen the Leeds goals, such a freak goal. The ball travels in a wavey line, but i dunno where the hell ince was going!

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 pm

latviancheese wrote:That wont bring in anybody, probably draw in about 6 and a half fans, cause Walsall is a town that doesnt give a guano about its football club.

Well i'm bringing myself and my two youngest down for the colchester match

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Over The Moon wrote:There getting a bit worried now in the words of Kevin Keegan 'Love It'. :D
http://www.waccoe.com/index.php?showtopic=174813

What a bunch of dick heads Leeds fans are!!

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season