Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/2/10

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Cully
Site Addict

Re: Leeds United (A) League 1 Tuesday 16/2/10

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:05 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:http://www.ustream.tv/channel/broadcast99

Live radio stream if anyone doesnt have sad world.....

1-1 mcshefery

Nice one.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:McDonald nearly off, on final warning now.

do you think that he will be targetd now

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Ince fault, miles off his line, Gary Mcsheffery slices a cross and it goes in, Grella & Gradel on, Becchio and missed who else goes off, they've got us on the rack now :(

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 pm

30 minutes to survive. Come on you Saddlers.

rusky
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:08 pm

I still think we will sneak a 2-1 win. C'mon Saddlers

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Sounds like all our attacking play is coming from Gray, sounds like he's having a good game.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 pm

stonesaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:Ince again :evil:

now the harder fixtures out the way whens rene due a start

The sooner the better

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Ince fault, miles off his line, Gary Mcsheffery slices a cross and it goes in, Grella & Gradel on, Becchio and missed who else goes off, they've got us on the rack now :(

snodgrass

euro gaz

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 pm

come on the walsall

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:11 pm

Duke wrote:
stonesaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:Ince again :evil:

now the harder fixtures out the way whens rene due a start

The sooner the better

would have been on a hiding to nothing sounds like he is a confidence keeper.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:11 pm

stonesaddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:Ince fault, miles off his line, Gary Mcsheffery slices a cross and it goes in, Grella & Gradel on, Becchio and missed who else goes off, they've got us on the rack now :(

snodgrass

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 494368.stm

Mcsheffery

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:10 pm

sounds liken a great performance and great result. stop whinging about ince he saves us more points than he loses

Champions of where? snigger :mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:15 pm

Bloody tremendous, lads. I'm shocked and stunned to say the least.

UTS.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:16 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:sounds liken a great performance and great result. stop whinging about ince he saves us more points than he loses

Mossiv result mossive. Well done lads

Play Off contenders :P

Crewe Saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:16 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:sounds liken a great performance and great result. stop whinging about ince he saves us more points than he loses

Fantastic Result.
Leeds fans are whinging that McDonalds goal didn't cross the line.

Happy Days! :)

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Both assists by Gray according to the Beeb.

Does this mean we are better than Man Utd?! :wink:

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 pm

Well played boys: we fought hard tonight and deserved the win... Leeds where awful though... All the boys put in a shift and we couldn't have asked for anymore. If we were to have had any chance of winning we needed Leeds to be below par, which they where but lets take nothing away from the lads.

This game will stay in my memory for a long time for me... I will quiet happily languish in mid-table obscurity after that result! It really has made my season. I suddenly remember, after the last few seasons of mediocrity, why i love this club!!!!!!

Yes i probably am getting carried away in the moment; I'm just so happy!!!!!!!

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:21 pm

The Red Prince wrote:Both assists by Gray according to the Beeb.

Does this mean we are better than Man Utd?! :wink:

Gray need games to be fair but he did put in a shift... when he's match fit i think we have a player on our hands!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Best result of season, best result of Hutchings tenure. Superb result, i dont care if they are on a downward spiral.

Inconsisten ay we.

I didnt even bother to check the score till about 10. I couldnt believe my eyes! :lol: :lol:

Champions of Europe my f&&kin bumhole.

wfc_pleck

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm

we love yow walsall we do we love yow walsall we do we love yow walsall we do ohhhhhh walsall we lovee yooooowwwww :D

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 pm

Well, how wrong can you be? I went tonight more in hope than expectation and ended up at a hug-the-bloke-next-to-you, bona fide classic.

Phenomenal performance from the lads and no mystery as to how we achieved it - sheer hard work. Deeney - oustanding, Mattis - outstanding, Richards (yes, Richards) - outstanding, Vincent - outstanding, McDonald...well, you get the picture.

Every single player (bar Till who struggled again and was replaced at HT) played their part and we refused to buckle even when Leeds had us under the cosh for most of the second half. Deeney led the line superbly and he and Nicholls chased everything. Mattis score a really good goal after good work from Gray who will do well for us this season on the evidence of tonight. McSheffrey scored a hugely jammy equaliser which I'm not sure you can blame Clayton for (I've just seen it on Sky Sports and the swerving flight of the ball - definitely a cross - looks a nightmare for a keeper - anyway, who cares?). We defended like lions after they pegged us back - I thought Max Gradel would rip Richards apart when he came on but our makeshift leftback stuck to his task superbly. Then we went up the other end and scored!

Let me clear one thing up - our winning goal was definitely over the line. We were right in line with it and the linesman was in a great position and gave it straight away. Again we held on simply through hard work and getting bodies in the way. A word for the supporters too - tremendous. Never stopped singing throughout the whole game - especially during the second half and after the final whistle the entire team (and Hutchings) came over to show their appreciation. What an utterly fantastic night - one where all the frustrations of supporting Walsall go out of the window and you simply revel in defying the odds and getting one over on a club with ten times the resources we have. What supporting a club like Walsall should be all about, in fact.

PROUD TO BE A SADDLER!

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:45 pm

Unbelievable result! I almost wish I had acted upon Doffers accumulator tip from this morning!

Credit where it's due, a massive well done to the lads. It's been a long time since I posted a positive post, but this one is completely deserved!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:53 pm

bangsection wrote:Well, how wrong can you be? I went tonight more in hope than expectation and ended up at a hug-the-bloke-next-to-you, bona fide classic.

Phenomenal performance from the lads and no mystery as to how we achieved it - sheer hard work. Deeney - oustanding, Mattis - outstanding, Richards (yes, Richards) - outstanding, Vincent - outstanding, McDonald...well, you get the picture.

Every single player (bar Till who struggled again and was replaced at HT) played their part and we refused to buckle even when Leeds had us under the cosh for most of the second half. Deeney led the line superbly and he and Nicholls chased everything. Mattis score a really good goal after good work from Gray who will do well for us this season on the evidence of tonight. McSheffrey scored a hugely jammy equaliser which I'm not sure you can blame Clayton for (I've just seen it on Sky Sports and the swerving flight of the ball - definitely a cross - looks a nightmare for a keeper - anyway, who cares?). We defended like lions after they pegged us back - I thought Max Gradel would rip Richards apart when he came on but our makeshift leftback stuck to his task superbly. Then we went up the other end and scored!

Let me clear one thing up - our winning goal was definitely over the line. We were right in line with it and the linesman was in a great position and gave it straight away. Again we held on simply through hard work and getting bodies in the way. A word for the supporters too - tremendous. Never stopped singing throughout the whole game - especially during the second half and after the final whistle the entire team (and Hutchings) came over to show their appreciation. What an utterly fantastic night - one where all the frustrations of supporting Walsall go out of the window and you simply revel in defying the odds and getting one over on a club with ten times the resources we have. What supporting a club like Walsall should be all about, in fact.

PROUD TO BE A SADDLER!

Thanks bangsection, enjoyed reading that. I note that the Leeds OS suggests that McSheffrey's goal was a deliberate piece of skill and not a fluke [well they would, wouldn't they?]. What a bunch of tankers they are :wink: .

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:03 am

Good old school away day....18000 quiet Leeds fans shhhhhhhhhh :lol:

3 or 400 of us, great support and singing, good times!!! (why cant we bw like that at home?!?!?!?!?!)

Graydon48
Glitterati

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:06 am

BathSaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:Well, how wrong can you be? I went tonight more in hope than expectation and ended up at a hug-the-bloke-next-to-you, bona fide classic.

PROUD TO BE A SADDLER!

Thanks bangsection, enjoyed reading that. I note that the Leeds OS suggests that McSheffrey's goal was a deliberate piece of skill and not a fluke [well they would, wouldn't they?]. What a bunch of tankers they are :wink: .

Dont know if it was the same site but they reckon our second goal was one of the most contraversal ever seen at Leeds and it was inconclusive if it had crossed the line.
Makes the victory even sweeter to know they will cry of the injustice for years, yep what a bunch off jumped up tossers they are.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:10 am

Graydon48 wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

PROUD TO BE A SADDLER!

Dont know if it was the same site but they reckon our second goal was one of the most contraversal ever seen at Leeds and it was inconclusive if it had crossed the line.
Makes the victory even sweeter to know they will cry of the injustice for years, yep what a bunch off jumped up tossers they are.

We'll be the subject of a song for years if they fail to go up by a point :mrgreen:

Laaaarrrrrvvvvveeee itttttt!!!!

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:13 am

Just got back and the adrenaline is still buzzing. For the 1st time in a very long time I am proud to be a Walsall fan. 11 blokes on the pitch and the 300 or 400 supporters off the pitch gave there all for the club tonight. We could easily have buckled when they equalised but the boys showed a hell of a lot of charachter.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 am

Had a very enjoyable drive back to York listening to Radio Leeds and, to be fair, none of the Leeds callers I heard were moaning about McDonald's goal - just about how poor they'd been.

They're a sad, deluded bunch though. My favourite was a bloke who rang in bemoaning the fact that they were only three points ahead of Colchester in the table: "I mean, Colchester United [like they were something he'd just found on his shoe], Colchester United! We're Leeds United and we're only three points ahead of Colchester United! Now, I'm not one of these pigheaded Leeds fans who thinks we have a divine right to be in the Premier League but..." Colchester have, of course, been in the Championship more recently than Leeds.

They really do have no sense of irony, do they? Wasn't wearing any colours tonight but outside the ground I couldn't keep the big grin off my face and some neanderthal took a kick at me as he walked past. Luckily he was true to the night's script and missed!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:47 am

Right, not long got back and what a night! I'm actually buzzing!

I thought Leeds played alright, but realy lacked in the final third. They never realy looked like scoring and when they did it had a massive stroke of luck to it. Calamity Clayton strikes again!

As for us, it was quite obvious we came with a defensive mentality. We came to park the bus and try and hit them on the counter. And, well it wasn't the best, but it sort of worked as we got the 3 points. I thught it was more of a 'team performance' than one where an individual stands out. However, one that did was Big Macca.
To be honest, I didn't think McDonald's goal was in, but it was the first bit of luck we had all night with the officials giving everything to Leeds.

Overall, fantastic night out and a great win!
UTS!

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:29 am

Shouldn't have turned the lights off should you, you cheating so-and-so's! What goes around comes around...it has taken 15 years, but we have the win at Elland Road that was ours.

Get in Saddlers! Don't think I have ever cheered so loud at a vidiprinter as when the goals came...

What a result! Get in!

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season