Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League 1 Saturday 13/2/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League 1 Saturday 13/2/10.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:24 pm

I am not saying hutchings out, if we get rid of him who do we get and will they be able to do more under the obvious restrictions. I am just saying today was one of the most pathetic performances I have seen for a long time. Plenty of running around, but no leadership on the pitch or off it and no sign of a game plan.

On a more amusing note, the chants from the Oldham fans of "we want penney out" (obviously before they scored) was reciprocated by the travelling Saddlers and that seemed to go down well with the locals. Not that I am clutching for straws that was probably the highlight of the day.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:33 pm

moanin old git wrote:We were trully appalling, how can a team expect to win matches when we have no attack?
Our defence, or should I say McDonald on his own, was uncomfortable all game against a team that used wingers
and attacking half backs to great effect, although there finishing was abysmal, we were run ragged by a team that was one
point off the relegation zone.
What could anyone who was there say anything positive about that performance today? inept.
Ince was badly at fault for the goal, waiting on the far side of his goal to collect a cross that was met point blank by
Abbott who got in front of him far too easily, which was a shame really, cus he prevented us losing by a clear 5 or 6 goals!
I think we got one corner, which was squandered, and I can remember one shot that got close to the goalmouth, sort of!
Till was atrocious, does he know which way to kick? Wendy tried hard, but is obviously lacking any quality whatsoever.
And who was that lanky streak of flap that was bought on in the second half? who the hell is Julian Gray and how come
we've got lumbered with THAT waste of space, I think he touched the ball twice and lost it both times!
Oldham were up for it bigtime, they lack quality, but are attempting to put that right with signings, and showed great
enthusiasm, commitment and energy, characters that we sadly lacked completely, we were just 'not at the races' at
all. Byfield got too involved in a 'handbags at dawn' squable with his ex team mates, so drifted out of the game utterly.
Barn door rushed round a lot, but he will never make a footballer if he lives to be old!
And it was friggin freezin as usual, what the hell is going to happen on Tuesday? We are going to get slaughtered,
it will be sooo humiliating! NOT A GOOD DAY to be a Walsall fan............

But what about the chilli pies?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:38 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:I am not saying hutchings out, if we get rid of him who do we get and will they be able to do more under the obvious restrictions. I am just saying today was one of the most pathetic performances I have seen for a long time. Plenty of running around, but no leadership on the pitch or off it and no sign of a game plan.

On a more amusing note, the chants from the Oldham fans of "we want penney out" (obviously before they scored) was reciprocated by the travelling Saddlers and that seemed to go down well with the locals. Not that I am clutching for straws that was probably the highlight of the day.

Well you should, there is someone better out there, there must be.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:07 pm

This sad pathetic regime gets me down. I have known many low points, as have all saddlers, but i have never experienced such a divde between the club and the fans. I don't necessarily mean the players, I have seen more crap performances than I care to mention and also many brilliant highs and performances. We have a number of good kids in the team and on occasions look like a good team. I can accept the fact that we were crap today at Oldham away, these things happen. But the apathy that abounds now is worse than anything i have experienced in 30 plus years

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Absolubtly pathetic today! Worst performance ive seen in a long time. I usually try to be positive but didnt see any today....except i actually got there for kick off.

The match officials werent much better either! We should have had a penalty when deeney was bear hugged as the ball came towards him. And im sure the linesman closest to us was blind, he missed their keeper fouling byfield on the edge of the area and should have been sent off (for last man, couldnt see if he 2 footed him or not), and didnt give anything. And in the first half oldham should have had a penalty aswell, when mattis (i think) clearly handballed it, but we got a free kick :roll: Even if we had got penalties we still didnt deserve anything, i can remember 2 shots all game and neither on target!

Ince - good, saved quite a few but to be fair they were straight at him.
Westlake - did ok, no support from till and looked a little reluctant to tackle
McDonald - our best player, got his head to almost everything he could
Vincent - did well i suppose considering he's a left back, and had to cover the sansara and richards all game
Sansara - can he actually kick a ball?
Till - as above.....and how was he on the pitch after 90 minutes, should have been taken off instead of Taundry. Joke!
Mattis - Quiet, did well in first 20 minutes but not much after that
Taundry - Too Quiet, didnt do anything
Richards - Joke, dont think he played a sucessful ball foward all game. WHenever he got it he had to turn back to Sansara, who either lost it or gave away a throw
Deeney - Did nothing really, no supply though
Nicholls - No supply, Never really got the fall to run with

Byfield - lost his head with one of their players, had 1 of the 2 shots that i can remember, out it into row z from about 15 yards!
Gray - touched the ball about 3 times and didnt do anything with it (not match fit but still disapointing)
O'Keefe - No time to have an effect really, dont remember him touhcing the ball

Waste of an afternoon really, sat in the cold, watching a load of crud, and getting annoyed by a kid sat infront of me shouting / squeeking "send 'im off ref" after every foul! :twisted:

Cant wait for Leeds...... :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:41 pm

1-0. 1-bloody-0.

That's what happens when you show cack teams too much respect. Walsall could and bloody should do better than that. I'd expect the manager to make his "ten men behind the ball" speech before going somewhere like Leeds, hoping for a smash and grab, but against the relegation fodder we played today that's not what I want to hear.

The shortcomings are blindingly obvious to any readers of UTS. One can only assume our manager thinks he knows better. Here's a newsflash: Chris, I don't think you do.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:50 pm

honestly exile not sure what the most pathetic performance you have seen from a walsall team, but if you had been there today it wouldn't be far off. we were atrocious.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:19 pm

I had high hopes for CH when we appointed him. At the first meet the manager night he spoke lots of sense. Unfortunately it seems he can't walk the talk. Oh well, seems to fall in line with the rest of the dead club walking shambles we have.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:58 pm

tinned wrote:I had high hopes for CH when we appointed him. At the first meet the manager night he spoke lots of sense. Unfortunately it seems he can't walk the talk. Oh well, seems to fall in line with the rest of the dead club walking shambles we have.

I didn't go, but a quote from a friend of mine. " Our friendly results have been really good" What about Mansfield he replied............... :mrgreen:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:12 am

poo

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:30 am

latviancheese wrote:Just seen the Attendance aswell, very similar to ours. Dont know what they average though.

Bad result today, especially with the performance to go with it.

As far as the play offs go anyway we would never make them, there is such a gap between 6th and 10th. But i dont see any reason why we shouldnt be pushing for 10th.

It was in the match preview:-

"Oldham are always one of those clubs that I think we can feel some affinity with, for all that they have had a little more success over the years (three League titles, some FA Cup and League Cup success and spells in the top flight), as they also struggle with being too close to too many teams (Boundary Park is less than 9 miles from the stadiums of Bury, Manchester City, Manchester United, and Rochdale, plus Blackburn and Bolton aren’t that far away). Despite that, however, and a struggling League position, they are still averaging the best part of a thousand a game more than we are. For those at the club blaming the recession, by the way, Walsall’s unemployment rate is 5.4%, according to the DWP figures, while Oldham’s is 8.1%, the second highest rate in Greater Manchester. Food for thought there, then".

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:30 am

Cack

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:01 am

Well, as others have said, what a completely wack afternoon. No shot on target all game and a few efforts put over or wide (to be honest I can't remember the 3 that the beeb have in their stats for shots off target).

Oldham weren't great but they looked a darn sight more dangerous than us when they attacked. Primarily because they had two good wide players who attacked and troubled our full backs all game. Chris Taylor (who I have always thought is a decent player) and recent acquisition on the right, Smalley, saw quite a bit of the ball. To be fair to our full backs, they had little help in dealing with them, so Westlake didn't actually have that bad a game in the end. Oldham got a lot more ball into the box, and, if it hadn't been for Ince, regardless of whether he was at fault for the goal or not, it could easily have been 2 or 3 to Oldham.

In terms of performances, like others, can't be bothered analysing each, but I thought Ince, MacDonald and Vincent had reasonable games (won a lot of headers), Taundry was good in patches and Mattis had a few moments. But that is the problem - it never looks like our centre midfield is controlling the game. Oldham's middle two (number 14, Furman, in particular) used the ball well and started attacks. We just lumped balls into the channels which our front two rarely if not never got to, or passed it sideways. Even my mum (bless her for coming along and braving the cold!!) turned to me and said, "why can't we hold onto the ball and pass it, Oldham seem to be able to do it" - there you go Hutch, some words of advice from a 66 year old lady who knows nowt about football!!

Haven't been to a game for a while due to the postponements and work commitments, but was pleased to hear that Till had been playing a bit better. But yesterday he was absolute guano. Never beat his man, or even looked like he could or wanted to try. Continually pulled out of going in to win headers and chalenge for the ball and gave no help to Westlake really in dealing with Chris Taylor. How he stayed on for 90 minutes is unbelievable. When Gray came on, we were hoping for a lift, but didn't get it. He didn't see much of the ball and didn't do a great deal, but it's unfair to judge him on 30 minutes in a game when the team were playing awful and he didn't stand a chance - a run in the team and maybe better play around him will be a better point to analyse him from.

Stikers struggled, but they were always going to, given the support, lack of quality etc etc.

We so desperately need Jones back. With him and a firing Gray on the other wing, we may well prove a threat and create chances. That is the only way we will as we continue to play with two central midfielders who are more defensively minded and not creative enough.

Roll on Tuesday night... :?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:55 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:Well, as others have said, what a completely wack afternoon. No shot on target all game and a few efforts put over or wide (to be honest I can't remember the 3 that the beeb have in their stats for shots off target).

Oldham weren't great but they looked a darn sight more dangerous than us when they attacked. Primarily because they had two good wide players who attacked and troubled our full backs all game. Chris Taylor (who I have always thought is a decent player) and recent acquisition on the right, Smalley, saw quite a bit of the ball. To be fair to our full backs, they had little help in dealing with them, so Westlake didn't actually have that bad a game in the end. Oldham got a lot more ball into the box, and, if it hadn't been for Ince, regardless of whether he was at fault for the goal or not, it could easily have been 2 or 3 to Oldham.

In terms of performances, like others, can't be bothered analysing each, but I thought Ince, MacDonald and Vincent had reasonable games (won a lot of headers), Taundry was good in patches and Mattis had a few moments. But that is the problem - it never looks like our centre midfield is controlling the game. Oldham's middle two (number 14, Furman, in particular) used the ball well and started attacks. We just lumped balls into the channels which our front two rarely if not never got to, or passed it sideways. Even my mum (bless her for coming along and braving the cold!!) turned to me and said, "why can't we hold onto the ball and pass it, Oldham seem to be able to do it" - there you go Hutch, some words of advice from a 66 year old lady who knows nowt about football!!

Haven't been to a game for a while due to the postponements and work commitments, but was pleased to hear that Till had been playing a bit better. But yesterday he was absolute guano. Never beat his man, or even looked like he could or wanted to try. Continually pulled out of going in to win headers and chalenge for the ball and gave no help to Westlake really in dealing with Chris Taylor. How he stayed on for 90 minutes is unbelievable. When Gray came on, we were hoping for a lift, but didn't get it. He didn't see much of the ball and didn't do a great deal, but it's unfair to judge him on 30 minutes in a game when the team were playing awful and he didn't stand a chance - a run in the team and maybe better play around him will be a better point to analyse him from.

Stikers struggled, but they were always going to, given the support, lack of quality etc etc.

We so desperately need Jones back. With him and a firing Gray on the other wing, we may well prove a threat and create chances. That is the only way we will as we continue to play with two central midfielders who are more defensively minded and not creative enough.

When I said I wasn't going to judge him when we signed him, I'm not going to yet, on this. Wingers, like strikers, are completely dependant on the quality of possession they are (or aren't) given by the central midfielders. Our central midfield has been cack all season - no matter the personnel.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:46 pm

If you dont give a winger the ball they are useless. Mind you, i like to see frustrated players go and get the fudge ball, not just whimper about.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:Well, as others have said, what a completely wack afternoon. No shot on target all game and a few efforts put over or wide (to be honest I can't remember the 3 that the beeb have in their stats for shots off target).

Our central midfield has been cack all season - no matter the personnel.

Agreed what worries me is our management team have done nothing about it.
Last edited by Duke on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Yesterday put the final nail in the coffin for me, i shall not be renewing my season ticket and watching this joke of a football team we are, i wont be coming back until Bonser and that pathetic excuse of a manager Chris Hutchings has gone, I dont expect us to be world beaters were in league 1 but what i do expect is to see my team atleast TRY, i work hard and spend alot of money follwing this club well no more thank you very much Jeff Bonser, thats another fan you've lost well done.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Yesterday put the final nail in the coffin for me, i shall not be renewing my season ticket and watching this joke of a football team we are, i wont be coming back until Bonser and that pathetic excuse of a manager Chris Hutchings has gone, I dont expect us to be world beaters were in league 1 but what i do expect is to see my team atleast TRY, i work hard and spend alot of money follwing this club well no more thank you very much Jeff Bonser, thats another fan you've lost well done.

You should come to the Focus Group Meeting on Monday night and say that in front of the club Directors.

I totally agree with you & I for one will be voicing my concern about Hutching's on Monday night.

We are past the point now of the drop in attendances due to the JB & Stayaways issue. The drop in attendances from now onwards is down to Hutchings and his awful inept management of the team & the rubbish performances that we see week/week out. Even when we win it's rubbish football. I can't remember a home match that I've really enjoyed football wise under Hutching's. He is now the reason the fans are not coming. He has made a career out of being a rubbish football manager & now we are stuck with this loser, he is destroying what little support we have left.

I'm am not going to Leeds and I am not looking forward to the next home games versus Brentford or Yeovil. I groaned when I saw the fixture list today & realised we had Brentford at home next Saturday & Yeovil at home on the following Tuesday.

The club need to do something now otherwise the take up of Early Bird ST's will be catastrophically low imo.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:14 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

When I said I wasn't going to judge him when we signed him, I'm not going to yet, on this. Wingers, like strikers, are completely dependant on the quality of possession they are (or aren't) given by the central midfielders. Our central midfield has been cack all season - no matter the personnel.

My thoughts exactly.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Asps wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:Yesterday put the final nail in the coffin for me, i shall not be renewing my season ticket and watching this joke of a football team we are, i wont be coming back until Bonser and that pathetic excuse of a manager Chris Hutchings has gone, I dont expect us to be world beaters were in league 1 but what i do expect is to see my team atleast TRY, i work hard and spend alot of money follwing this club well no more thank you very much Jeff Bonser, thats another fan you've lost well done.

You should come to the Focus Group Meeting on Monday night and say that in front of the club Directors.

I totally agree with you & I for one will be voicing my concern about Hutching's on Monday night.

We are past the point now of the drop in attendances due to the JB & Stayaways issue. The drop in attendances from now onwards is down to Hutchings and his awful inept management of the team & the rubbish performances that we see week/week out. Even when we win it's rubbish football. I can't remember a home match that I've really enjoyed football wise under Hutching's. He is now the reason the fans are not coming. He has made a career out of being a rubbish football manager & now we are stuck with this loser, he is destroying what little support we have left.

I'm am not going to Leeds and I am not looking forward to the next home games versus Brentford or Yeovil. I groaned when I saw the fixture list today & realised we had Brentford at home next Saturday & Yeovil at home on the following Tuesday.

The club need to do something now otherwise the take up of Early Bird ST's will be catastrophically low imo.

Spot on this club is going nowhere under the current manager, the sooner the board realize that the better

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Asps wrote:

Exactly what i was going to say

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Asps wrote:

I'll try and get down there mate, what time and where?, I wouldnt mind letting Bonser & Hutchings now how I feel about them both.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:41 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
Asps wrote:

I'll try and get down there mate, what time and where?, I wouldnt mind letting Bonser & Hutchings now how I feel about them both.

6pm tomorrow at the Swifts Lounge, which is inside the stadium.

Neither Hutchings nor Bonser will be there, but the chief executive will be, and the more people that turn up, the better.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:18 pm

I hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm but not only will Hutchings not be there but I'm sure that matters ON-the-pitch will be strictly off the agenda. The Focus Group is for OFF-the-pitch matters. It could hardly be anything else now, could it? Think about it.

.. and you can guarantee that the one man that everybody wants to talk to will never, ever be there. He can't even be arsed to turn up to his own A.G.M.

However, you can be sure that Uncle Jeff will be well aware of the supporters' feelings towards Hutchings and the team's performances. Truth to be told, he probably shares those feelings but whether he will actually act upon them remains to be seen. He has, after all, acted very decisively in the past (sometimes!).

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:33 pm

This is Jimmy Mullen all over agen, was only 4 wins in 17 when he was sacked, doesnt Hutchings record stand at 2 wins in 12 now, BONSER, & HUTCHINGS OUT!!!

I wish we still had Richard Money here :(

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Exile wrote:1-0. 1-bloody-0.

That's what happens when you show guano teams too much respect. Walsall could and bloody should do better than that. I'd expect the manager to make his "ten men behind the ball" speech before going somewhere like Leeds, hoping for a smash and grab, but against the relegation fodder we played today that's not what I want to hear.

The shortcomings are blindingly obvious to any readers of UTS. One can only assume our manager thinks he knows better. Here's a newsflash: Chris, I don't think you do.

21-45 Tuesday night Hutchins will say we defended well against what will be a Championship team in a couple of months time. The three late goals come as we where pushing for the equalizer. I`m very proud of the team and we must build on this performance. BLA BLA BLA.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Jimmy Muddle was quite rightly sacked due to his lack of results. Hutchings has been given a one year rolling contract. Wonderful eh?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:08 pm

tinned wrote:Jimmy Muddle was quite rightly sacked due to his lack of results. Hutchings has been given a one year rolling contract. Wonderful eh?

I believe he could be relieved of his duties for next to nothing though.

Ulster Saddler
UTS Regular

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:02 pm

I think that Hutchings is one of these managers who thinks coaching is about doing all you can about stopping the other team from playng. He does not seem capable of picking a team which creates anything. We do not seem to score more than 1 goal in a game. How embarrassing for us to be discussing whether we had one or zero shots on target after playing against a relegation threatened team who should be low on confidence.

Against Oldham we should have gone all out for the first 20 mins to score. If we had gone one up their fans/players etc would have gone straight onto a downer and we would have won. By sitting back and letting play just gave them more and more confidence.

I honestly think that as a coach, Hutchings gets more of a buzz from drawing away 0-0 then he does from winning. I also think that he thinks he is doing well by having us in mid table (although we are getting suked down by the week).

And don't forget our win at Bristol was thanks to a penalty save.

UP THE SADDLERS

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Ulster Saddler wrote:I think that Hutchings is one of these managers who thinks coaching is about doing all you can about stopping the other team from playng. He does not seem capable of picking a team which creates anything. We do not seem to score more than 1 goal in a game. How embarrassing for us to be discussing whether we had one or zero shots on target after playing against a relegation threatened team who should be low on confidence.

Against Oldham we should have gone all out for the first 20 mins to score. If we had gone one up their fans/players etc would have gone straight onto a downer and we would have won. By sitting back and letting play just gave them more and more confidence.

I honestly think that as a coach, Hutchings gets more of a buzz from drawing away 0-0 then he does from winning. I also think that he thinks he is doing well by having us in mid table (although we are getting suked down by the week).

And don't forget our win at Bristol was thanks to a penalty save.

UP THE SADDLERS

I prefer to think of it as the fact that we scored more goals than they did and thoroughly deserved the win. The fact that they couldn't score even from a penalty is Rovers problem not ours.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season