Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 6/2/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 6/2/10.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Banksy wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:Sansara young talent? Bag of sh*t more like!

Those are the truest words you have ever posted on here!

Thank you :D :lol:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:09 pm

m&m wrote:Tbh i'm grateful for a point with our 3 best players out.We are thin on the ground but again feel that the manager got it wrong yet again.Starting with Parkin was a mistake.He will never score.It was an ideal opportunity to give Nicholls a chance in his best position.Maybe we will only ever find out how good a striker he is when he's banging them in for another club!
My gripe is with the manager.He really is clueless!
How can you have a go at Parkin when the supply to the front 2 was zero, nothing, ziltch.
Since Parkin has been here and in the few games he's played don't think I can remember more than a couple of chances to come his way from open play.
Hardly been a nonstop sulpy of crosses arrowing towards his head to put away has there.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:17 pm

God, what a depressing result to wake up to.

Sadly, expected given the paucity of chances we're creating.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Im saying bottom 8.

Diehard

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Best loan signing we could make would be a manager with some idea of tactics and substitutions. I'm sure that we would then see maximum effort from the players we already have. How come most of them underperform week after week?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:14 pm

I see Mr.Bonser, Ricketts and the Mayor were all there today.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:29 pm

moanin old git wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:
m&m wrote:Tbh i'm grateful for a point with our 3 best players out.We are thin on the ground but again feel that the manager got it wrong yet again.Starting with Parkin was a mistake.He will never score.It was an ideal opportunity to give Nicholls a chance in his best position.Maybe we will only ever find out how good a striker he is when he's banging them in for another club!
My gripe is with the manager.He really is clueless!
How can you have a go at Parkin when the supply to the front 2 was zero, nothing, ziltch.
Since Parkin has been here and in the few games he's played don't think I can remember more than a couple of chances to come his way from open play.
Hardly been a nonstop sulpy of crosses arrowing towards his head to put away has there.

Why would there be? cus he cor 'ed a ball to save his life! I'm a better player than him and I'm 62!

Now will the 'happy clappers' start to accept at long last that we are awful, and heading straight towards the relegation zone
we may not go down cus of the dross down there at the moment, but where oh where, and when oh when, will we ever
begin to improve? I doubt if we will. Can anyone out there imagine the embarrassment of this team appearing at Elland
Road next week? Brizzle will beat us easily on Tuesday, Oldham had a good encouraging away win today, which means
they will be 'up for it' on Saturday against one of the weakest teams in the Division on current form...where does that
leave us? :( :( :(

Not sure about us but am sure it would make you happy.

Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:45 pm

Today was my first match of the year having missed the last 3 home games despite having a season ticket. I guess I've got out of the habit of going to the matches and today it was not difficult to see why. It pains me to say that I won't be renewing for next season, unless things change drastically.

The starting line-up drained me of all confidence and it's easy to say that what choice has Hutchings got with all injuries and suspensions but the guy has had plenty of opportunity to get signings in and he hasn't so far. Starting Nicholls would have been more effective than Parkin or Till who have both had more chances then Nicholls this season and have failed to impress on every occassion.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:18 pm

1933 wrote:Today was my first match of the year having missed the last 3 home games despite having a season ticket. I guess I've got out of the habit of going to the matches and today it was not difficult to see why. It pains me to say that I won't be renewing for next season, unless things change drastically.

The starting line-up drained me of all confidence and it's easy to say that what choice has Hutchings got with all injuries and suspensions but the guy has had plenty of opportunity to get signings in and he hasn't so far. Starting Nicholls would have been more effective than Parkin or Till who have both had more chances then Nicholls this season and have failed to impress on every occassion.

Sums it up perfectly.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Its simple, Byfield has a contract, so he cant be arsed. Parkin is decent if you dont try and lump it at his head.

I wasnt there today, by the sounds of it, im glad i wasnt!

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:55 am

latviancheese wrote:Its simple, Byfield has a contract, so he cant be bothered. Parkin is decent if you dont try and lump it at his head.

Lucky you.

Where you sit, if you'd gone today you'd still now have the smell of Dancing Kev in ya nostrils!!

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:58 am

matt-thesaddler wrote:I see Mr.Bonser, Ricketts and the Mayor were all there today.

Sign Ricketts up straight away. He is exactly what we need, a quality player who can operate in almost every area of the pitch. He was one of the reasons for the dramatic improvement in Deeney last season and when he dropped back into midfield we were more creative. I hope that Bonser offers him a contract [assumming he is a free agent] to the end of the season, at least with him in midfield we might create a few more chances after yesterdays awful performance by our collective midfield. Oh and Taundry for all his bluster yesterday was totally ineffective, he and Mattis offer nothing on the creative side although I cannot fault their endeavour.

He would also give the thickos someone different to boo other than Richards and Till. They must have loads of 'lazy and idle' comments they have been dying to use. :roll:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:05 am

Glad i didnt go

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:31 am

latviancheese wrote:Its simple, Byfield has a contract, so he cant be bothered. Parkin is decent if you dont try and lump it at his head.

Your post is therefore absolutly pointless. This is what you should have said:-

Byfield is totally committed to Walsall and gives his all for the team despite the rubbish that he has to put up with.
Parkin doesn't fit into our team. I don't doubt that he once was a half decent player but he hasn't shown anything that inspires me to believe he can do a job for Walsall.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 am

If we did sign you could play this..

Ince
Westlake Smith MacDonald Vincent
Nicholls Mattis Jones
Ricketts
Byfield Deeney

Thats obviously when everyone is fully fit.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:22 am

one consolation Rovers were just as bad and we play then again on Tuesday .

SwiftlySaddler

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:41 am

Went to Gillingham last Saturday, froze, and saw no goals.
Went today, not as cold however still saw no goals.
Least we played a bit better than we did last week though. No win in 8 games.

No goals conceded in open play however from 3 games. That is probably the only positive thing i can say though.

Ince- Really did not have much to do. Kicking was ok today, and made some basic saves. Had a few bad games recently. Still getting abuse from people shouting "Retire" after every kick. Idiots

Sansara- WHY? Yes he might be young, but he cant tackle, positioning is woeful, can’t pass and i don't see why he even bothers to "bomb" it forward as he never gets anywhere.
McDonald- First half i thought he was excellent. Second, he gave away the ball too much. Unlucky with the header at the end though.
Vincent- Very good, thought he had an excellent game in not his preferred position.
Westlake- Nothing special, did his job.

Till- Useless. Can't beat a man. How can he call himself a winger? Couple of times today he could of had an overlaping run, but decided just to stand still. When will Jones be back? Because, we seriously need a winger that can take the ball past a defender.
Mattis- Did not do a lot. Much like most of the midfield.
Taundry- Like Mattis. Also, needs to learn how to shoot.
Richards- Had a few chances, missed them. I don't think of him as much as a footballer. Not his worst game i have seen him play though.

Parkin- Actually won a few headers! However, he is just not up to the job.
Byfield- One of the worst games i have seen him play. Missed place passes, and a lot of the time his body language was very negative.

Subs- Both Nicholls and Bradley did not really contribute to the game in any sort of way.
It looked like today, that the whole team did not want to play. There was no urgency about the play, much like last Saturday.

After 180 mile round trip, it is just another wasted Saturday.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:10 am

SwiftlySaddler wrote:Went to Gillingham last Saturday, froze, and saw no goals.
Went today, not as cold however still saw no goals.
Least we played a bit better than we did last week though. No win in 8 games.

No goals conceded in open play however from 3 games. That is probably the only positive thing i can say though.

Ince- Really did not have much to do. Kicking was ok today, and made some basic saves. Had a few bad games recently. Still getting abuse from people shouting "Retire" after every kick. Idiots

Sansara- WHY? Yes he might be young, but he cant tackle, positioning is woeful, can’t pass and i don't see why he even bothers to "bomb" it forward as he never gets anywhere.
McDonald- First half i thought he was excellent. Second, he gave away the ball too much. Unlucky with the header at the end though.
Vincent- Very good, thought he had an excellent game in not his preferred position.
Westlake- Nothing special, did his job.

Till- Useless. Can't beat a man. How can he call himself a winger? Couple of times today he could of had an overlaping run, but decided just to stand still. When will Jones be back? Because, we seriously need a winger that can take the ball past a defender.
Mattis- Did not do a lot. Much like most of the midfield.
Taundry- Like Mattis. Also, needs to learn how to shoot.
Richards- Had a few chances, missed them. I don't think of him as much as a footballer. Not his worst game i have seen him play though.

Parkin- Actually won a few headers! However, he is just not up to the job.
Byfield- One of the worst games i have seen him play. Missed place passes, and a lot of the time his body language was very negative.

Subs- Both Nicholls and Bradley did not really contribute to the game in any sort of way.
It looked like today, that the whole team did not want to play. There was no urgency about the play, much like last Saturday.

After 180 mile round trip, it is just another wasted Saturday.

Best summing up I've seen by a street! I can't understand the fuss about Nicholls, as he did sod all when he got his chance ( didn't go past his man any more time sthan Till - it wass easy to count because the number was zero), thought Byfield was rubbish (as he was on Tuesday - couldn't trap a bag a cement) and also agree that the raving about Westlake doing a competant job just shows how bad the reest were.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:13 pm

tinned wrote:
boris the saddler wrote:I think we have enough to stay up, with Deeney and Jones back in the side.

Whoo hooo, this is how far the happy clappers have had to retreat to keep a pretence of being satisfied. We'm staying up, let's crack open the champers.

Any (small) lingering chance of me getting a season ticket next season has evaporated. No way am I paying 300 quid for a team that don't care, a manager that doesn't care and a board that doesn't care. Stick it up your chuffer you losers. After 23 years I've gad enough.

Boring, boring, boring guano.

My sentiments entirely and ditto about the season ticket

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Ince - 7 - Not a lot to do. What he did have to do was done with ease
Westlake - 8 - Fanastic from him, my MOTM, good tackling and going forward.
MacDonald - 7 - Good performance and should have scored right at the end
Vincent - 7 - Typical, solid Vincent performance
Sansara - 5 - Shocking
Till - 7 - Tried hard, did well at times but takes to long to get the ball in
Mattis - 7 - Usual stuff from him
Taundry - 8 - Played very well in my opinion
Richards - 0 - Professional footballer? You're having a laugh
Byfield - 5 - Had a woeful game.
Parkin - 7 - A lot of effort and won a lot in the air. A good performance from him but didn't get the support he needed

Till - 7 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4 at most, couldn't beat his man, can't cross under pressure, he doesn't add anything at all to the game, never looked like scoring, never looked like providing.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:53 pm

saddlerJP wrote:
Sansara - 5 - Shocking
Parkin - 7 - A lot of effort and won a lot in the air. A good performance from him but didn't get the support he needed

Till - 7 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4 at most, couldn't beat his man, can't cross under pressure, he doesn't add anything at all to the game, never looked like scoring, never looked like providing.

I think people are very over critical about Till. He's not as bad as people say. He does his job. He gets the ball down the wing and gets it in the box more times than anyone else in our team at this present time. His crosses may not be the best but atleast he's getting them in there which is more than Richards does or even Nicholls when he comes on.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
saddlerJP wrote:
Sansara - 5 - Shocking

I think people are very over critical about Till. He's not as bad as people say. He does his job. He gets the ball down the wing and gets it in the box more times than anyone else in our team at this present time. His crosses may not be the best but atleast he's getting them in there which is more than Richards does or even Nicholls when he comes on.

Sorry, but I think he might have got ONE cross in in two games. He's gone past his full back once in those two games. He looks what he is - a 2 Division reserve.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Cully wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:I see Mr.Bonser, Ricketts and the Mayor were all there today.

Sign Ricketts up straight away. He is exactly what we need, a quality player who can operate in almost every area of the pitch. He was one of the reasons for the dramatic improvement in Deeney last season and when he dropped back into midfield we were more creative. I hope that Bonser offers him a contract [assumming he is a free agent] to the end of the season, at least with him in midfield we might create a few more chances after yesterdays awful performance by our collective midfield. Oh and Taundry for all his bluster yesterday was totally ineffective, he and Mattis offer nothing on the creative side although I cannot fault their endeavour.

He would also give the thickos someone different to boo other than Richards and Till. They must have loads of 'lazy and idle' comments they have been dying to use. :roll:

Surely you are joking?

Ricketts is the biggest waste of space ever to sign a contract at WFC! He should go and rot in non league football!

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Yawn, boring crap, yawn, yawn, yawn.

Clueless manager who was totally confused by not being able to bring Parkin on for the last 10 minutes as he does every other game.

Uninterested and unmotivated players who are going through the motions. No idea how to create or support attack.

A board of directors who don't care that the supporter base is evaporationg in fron of their eyes. An owner who won't sell unless he gets a kings ransom.

And still the happies claim everything is fine :roll:

*Dead club walking*

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:43 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
Cully wrote:

Surely you are joking?

Ricketts is the biggest waste of space ever to sign a contract at WFC! He should go and rot in non league football!

Boo!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 pm

Eerie isn't it, Seal Cull?

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Toothless, absolutely toothless. We have no outlet what so ever. Calling for Hutchings head is a bit harsh though and I can't see why anyone would think were gonna go down. There are too many much poorer teams in this division than us.

Mark Wrights come on leaps and bounds since he left us ay he?s. He seems a lot stronger on the ball. I wish we had a player in midfield that actually carried the ball forward.....

Swifty, you ay got a clue! Ricketts was and still would be a great asset to any Walsall squad.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Wolves fans are funny....oh.

Oops im on the wrong board :mrgreen:

Ive no doubt Bangor will come out and cut me down to my proper, uneducated level.

You forgot the 4th point anyway Tinned, fans dont care either, thats why ya all buggered off. Dont blame you either, your choice.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:05 pm

latviancheese wrote:Wolves fans are funny....oh.

Oops im on the wrong board :mrgreen:

Ive no doubt Bangor will come out and cut me down to my proper, uneducated level.

You forgot the 4th point anyway Tinned, fans dont care either, thats why ya all buggered off. Dont blame you either, your choice.

Ermm, 3 season tickets says I ay buggered off ....... yet.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:31 pm

I thought you werent renewing?

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season