Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v Leicester 27/1/2010 @ Solihull Moors

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Reserves v Leicester 27/1/2010 @ Solihull Moors

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Morning all,

Anyone going to watch this today?

If so then match and player report would be much appreciated. Unforutnately I can't make it.

Anon E. Mouse
UTS Regular

Location: Supporting Pension Fund F.C. at the Grand-a-Day Stadium, of course.

Re: Reserves v Leicester 27/1/2010 @ Solihull Moors

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Apparently we're losing 0-1 at halftime. Don't know any more than that.

Macca
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 pm

We won 2 -1.

Parkin and Nicholls the goal scores.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 pm

Intresting to see Craddock playing.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Macca wrote:We won 2 -1.

Parkin and Nicholls the goal scores.

Take note Hutchings

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Walsall Reserves v. Leicester City
Played at Damson Park (Solihull Moors F.C.)

Attendance:- approx. 50

Walsall (4-4-2)
Rene Gilmartin

Darryl Westlake
Alex Hickman
Dan Partridge
Netan Sansara

Alex Nicholls
Josh O'Keefe (Sean Geddes, 72 min.)
Richard Taundry (capt.)
Will Grigg

Sam Parkin
Josh Craddock (Jamie Paterson, 54 min.)

Unused Substitutes
James Wren (gk)
Jordan McCourt
Tom Overfield

Manager:- Martin O'Connor

Goal log.
3 mins. - 0-1 - Elliott Chamberlain takes advantage of poor covering in the middle of the Saddlers' defence to nip in and give the Foxes an early lead.
62 mins. - 1-1 - Parkin is fouled by Liam Moore, just outside the Leicester penalty area. Taundry floats in a perfectly weighted cross, from the kick, and Parkin did what he failed to do on the previous evening, and rise above everyone to send a perfect header straight into the visitors' net.
82 mins. - 2-1 - Cian Bolger clearly handles the ball in his own penalty-area and Nicholls steps up to convert the perfect penalty, hard and low to the goalkeeper's left, sending the 'keeper the wrong way.

Sinner's List
23 mins. - Parkin cautioned for unsporting behaviour (I think!)

Comments
A very even game with little in the way of memorable incident. Nine of the Saddlers' starting line-up had appeared in the first-team (albeit briefly in the case of Craddock) and so it would be reasonable to assume that at least eight of them would be keen to impress the watching Chris Hutchings. No-one had a "nightmare" but, equally, no-one really stood out that much.

Defence:- I have to say that I was impressed with the new-look Gilmartin. Not only has he filled out in his upper-body (plenty of work on the weights, methinks) but he was shouting - loudly - at his team-mates and generally bossing them about - always his biggest weakness, in the past! Now if he could only do that in the first team, then I think that it would be a case of "Bye, Bye, Clayton!". Westlake was steady. Sansara started poorly but improved as the game progressed; indeed he was unlucky not to score twice in the second half, with a couple of cracking shots from outside the penalty-area. Hickman and Partridge looked the novices that they are, on a few occasions, but they stuck well to their task against a lively Leicester front-line.

Midfield/Wings:- Taundry was his usual combative self. O'Keefe drifted in and out of the game. Neither Nicholls nor Grigg are wingers or midfield players and it showed. Nicholls was clearly so frustrated at getting so little of the ball that he was drifting inside, towards the end of the first half. He got his wish early in the second half when Craddock was taken off. Paterson played wide right and Nicholls played off Parkin, down the middle. He immediately posed a frequent threat to the Leicester defence and, with a bit of luck, he could have had at least a hat-trick.

Attack:- Parkin worked hard and offered himself as a target-man for long clearances. Superb header for the goal. Craddock was busy without ever really threatening and Nicholls was much better when he got involved.

Return to 2009-10 Season