Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League 1 Saurday 30/1/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Re: Gillingham (A) League 1 Saurday 30/1/10.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:03 pm

coventriansaddler wrote:No goals. FT

At least we got 2 shots on target before the final whistle went! :wink:

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:09 pm

At least we got 2 shots on target before the final whistle went!

Wonder if the 2 substitutions had anything to do with this. :!:

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Just back from my "local " game of the season .

Entertainment value about 2 out of 10 , and 1 was for the pie.

I dont actually remember a "proper" save from either keeper and i dont think either team deserved a win ; it had 0-0 nailed on from very early on .

Special mention to Clayton Mac who , despite lack of match practice made several last ditch tackles , perfectly timed. Apart from that , erm , not a lot to say .

You have to say a point earned as it is not an easy place to go .

Nicholls saw a lot of the ball when he came on but flattered to deceive and fluffed our one decent chance and sent one about 50 metres over .

Ince 7 . A lot a good handling
Weston 6. Man he is frustrating , gets stuck in but distribution piss poor
Vincent 6 . Solid .
Smith 7.
Mac D 8

Till 6 - i dont think he is a bad player at all and can cross a ball
Bradley 6 - always had time on the ball, sign of quality , but still you want him to impose himself on the game more
Mattis 6 . Classic mattis - tackles , hassling , hurrying , not a lot of creativity
Richards 6 - quiet but used the ball well

Deeney 7 - precious little service but battled well
Byfield 6 as above

Taundry - one shot , one conversion
Nicholls - frustrating but at least he got on the pitch . Is he better than Till on the right? Not so sure .......

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Looks like there is another wave if interest in the footbal club again, after another uninspiring result, is that no wins in 5 now?

I agree with Phil.

Does anyone care anymore? Well done Jeff and Roy - our saviours.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:02 pm

I'll take a point. Glad I was getting my football fix from elsewhere though as two nothing teams battle out a 0-0 draw.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote: is that no wins in 5 now?

It is no wins in six, four of them at home. We have gained two points out of a possible eighteen.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Bernie wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote: is that no wins in 5 now?

It is no wins in six, four of them at home. We have gained two points out of a possible eighteen.

Happy days!

It is our first clean sheet for 7 matches.

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:09 pm

glad Alex Nicholls got onto the pitch.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:20 pm

BBC report reckons they were all over us and we were lucky to get nil.

I'm happy with the point.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:48 pm

Absolutely awful! I knwo Gillingham have a good home record but they are crud. If we cant beat them we are in big trouble and the only way to stop it is to find a manager who understands the word tactics!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:51 pm

I think some of the posts on here are absolutly ridiculous. Im quite happy with a point.

Phil has become the most predictable poster on the planet with his "Promotion contenders" twaddle. And i dont know why Whalley and Bonser have been mentioned on a 0-0 match thread.

Sad.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:02 am

latviancheese wrote:I think some of the posts on here are absolutly ridiculous. Im quite happy with a point.

Phil has become the most predictable poster on the planet with his "Promotion contenders" twaddle. And i dont know why Whalley and Bonser have been mentioned on a 0-0 match thread.

Sad.

CLAP CLAP CLAP

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:17 am

i went on the long journey down and considering the way we played we were very lucky to get nil! if it wasn't for Macdonald, Smith and Ince it could have been a cricket score!

Ince- Solid, didn't really put a foot wrong, made crucial saves particularly one from jackson when he was clean through and got injured in the process!

Weston- needs to stop hoofing the ball and pass and lack of pace was exposed by Barcham time and time again!- 6/10
Macdonald- Awesome! Very commanding! Won most things in the air and made crucial tackles especially when Jackson again went clean through! What a great signing !- 9/10
Smith- Solid, Made crucial blokes- 8/10
Vincent- Got a sweet left foot, but was exposed by lack of pace also!- 6/10

Till- When he is on the ball he isn't too bad, nice and tidy looks to play to feet and trys to take players on when he can, however he is awful off the ball and ghosted in and out off the game- 6/10
Mattis- Too slow on the ball, and was caught a few times, but battled away! 6/10
Bradley- Another poor performance, he is simply a ball watcher and again is very slow on the ball! 5/10
Richards-Didn't do much wrong, Would like to see him in the middle, looks out of place on the left! 6/10

Deeney- held the ball up when he could, never really got going, lack of service didnt help 6/10
Byfield- Looked so desperate to get one over on his old team! Didnt have a bad game in my opinion, came deep a lot to get the ball but had no help what so ever until nicholls came on! 6/10

Subs
Nicholls- Breath of fresh air! He drove at players and created 3 good chances! Looked very dangerous! Should have done a lot better with his chance but thats what a lack of match practice will do to you!!! Please Hutchings start him next game! 7/10
Taundry- Did more than bradley, neat and tidy but should have done better with his chance also! 6/10

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:59 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:I think some of the posts on here are absolutly ridiculous. Im quite happy with a point.

Sad.

CLAP CLAP CLAP

WOOO it took all of your amazing scientific brainpower to come up with that. Well worth the degree money.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:01 am

latviancheese wrote:

Sad.

CLAP CLAP CLAP

WOOO it took all of your amazing scientific brainpower to come up with that. Well worth the degree money.

What's the matter? Didn't get your dose of nicotine tonight ? :wink: (can give you the science of why that is if you want...)

Don't worry, I won't take your little rant to heart, uts and all that.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 am

Nah mate, aint had a fag for two weeks! Guess i got some braincells coming back....

And the answer to your question, yes people still care, well at least i do :(

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:49 am

latviancheese wrote:Nah mate, aint had a fag for two weeks! Guess i got some braincells coming back....

Sorry for being blunt or over the top - I am just as emotional as you about the current plight - but I was trying to make the point that this thread about this match a few years ago would have been brimming with discussion - but that has been taken away by the current regime - it makes my blood boil what they have done.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:17 am

But i dont understand the stay aways, they can explain till theyre blue in the face, but all i see is fans abandoning the team. Maybe its cause ive only been going ten years. I dunno.

So we had the Dann issues, but it was no different to Fryatt being sold for a bag of nuts, they didnt all bugger off then, or when Merson was about.

Football fans in general are becoming ridiculous, did anyone else see Cardiff fans protesting outside their ground? Ridiculous.

So our team isnt great, its also nowhere near as bad as some people are making out.

I just wish tthe fans would all stand as one and get this baffoon out. Im not convinced half of em would even come back if Bonser buggers off and some other geezer comes in. Unless he spends half a million, Its just not going to happen.

And i agree with the bit about the match thread, but i suppose thats goes with people not going to games. Which also makes me wonder where all the stay aways who said "ill still go to away games" have gone....

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:18 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Looks like there is another wave if interest in the footbal club again, after another uninspiring result, is that no wins in 5 now?

I agree with Phil.

Does anyone care anymore? Well done Jeff and Roy - our saviours.

Yes, the same people who have always cared, still care now. I don't know why you laid in to Latvian. I know some of his posts are a little crazy (Sometimes Malibu fueled I think) I actually agree with him.

Yeah we all know Bonser is a tool, blah blah blah. In the mean time there was a football match today, which people come on the match thread to talk about surprisingly enough. Some of whom have made the tedious journey to Gillingham to watch a team that no one cares about apparently.

If Phil wants to get his point over about JB (Jeez I think everyone knows where he stands on the matter) Then it would be much more respected if he didn't use Walsall struggling on the pitch as something to gloat about. We aren't promotion contenders, and were never likely to be. It might have been said, but then again businesses fool customers every day of the week.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:43 am

latviancheese wrote:But I don't understand the stay-aways. They can explain until they're blue in the face, but all i see is fans abandoning the team. Maybe it's because I've only been going for ten years. I dunno.

Staying away may seem a strange option for a genuine supporter, LC, but I think that the problem for them is "What else can we do?". Bonser has such a stranglehold at Bescot that I think that most supporters feel a sense of impotence. He has demonstrated an ability to totally shut out fans' criticisms and suggestions. Indeed, on the very few occasions that he has responded, he has merely succeeded in annoying and offending the fans even more. "Thick-skinned and insensitive" doesn't even begin to describe him, at times.

The stay-aways feel that the only way to get their message across is by staying away, leaving Bonser to contemplate the empty stands and the ever-dwindling gate receipts. Yes, of course it hits the club and Bonser will ensure that the rent is paid (and why shouldn't he? :mrgreen: ) and, therefore, other areas of the club's finances, such as the wage budget, will feel the pinch first ... but how else do you communicate with Bonser?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:13 am

Jesus. I could've quoted the quotes before they even got put on. Usual suspects, usual quotes.

Boring, boring, boring.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Realy was a terrible game. Neither side looked like scoring and neither side deserved to win. It had 0-0 written all over it from the begginning.

Players:
Ince - 7 - Solid, made a couple of routine saves and was good in the air

Weston - 6 - Nothing realy of note.
Smith - 7 - Average.
McDonald - 7 - Had a pretty odd game. He kept losing his man, but then recovering with fanatastic last ditch tackles.
Vincent - 6 - Kept slicing it out of play

Till - 7 - When he got the ball he actually looked to attack. Played well.
Mattis - 7 - As per usual, gritty performance from him.
Bradley - 4 - Less said the better.
Richards - 6 - Just not a winger.

Byfield - 8 - The bright spark out of the lot. Had his best game in a while, just let down by his team mates.
Deeney - 6 - Didn't do a lot. Fails to read the game when Byfield had the ball. Did hold the ball up well a couple of times.

SUBS
Taundry - 6 - Never realy got into the game
Nicholls - 6 - Used his pace to get forward well, looked a threat until he got into the last third. Final ball was awful and he clearly looked like he was suffering from a lack of match practices.

Oh, and there were about 4 or 5 people who gave Hucthings abit of stick at FT.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:43 pm

Latvian, apologies if my saying "promotion contenders" winds you up.

Earlier in the season there were several people getting all excited about the playoffs, but anyone with half a brain could see that 1. our form was far to inconsistent for a top half team, 2. our squad was too small, 3. even when we won, we weren't doing so convincingly - we were merely "not as bad" as the opposition.

When people stop mentioning the playoffs and concentrate on the real danger (relegation) then ill stop putting "promotion contenders" on match threads.

There is more chance of Saddam Hussein being elected prime minister in May than there is of Walsall being in the playoffs in May.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:59 pm

It only winds me up cause i dont think anyone ever thought we would seriously be play off contenders, but if someone asks the board or the manager what are they going to say? Theyre not going to say were heading for mediocrity. Its the same for any club.

Peda- i know the reasons why, but i just dow agree :mrgreen:

Blazing - I am crazay, been unemployed for too long :lol: . And i do tend to post weird things after a few Southern Comforts :lol:

Crikey, Sheff will be apologising next :mrgreen:

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:37 pm

latviancheese wrote:Nah mate, aint had a fag for two weeks! Guess i got some braincells coming back....

Sorry for being blunt or over the top - I am just as emotional as you about the current plight - but I was trying to make the point that this thread about this match a few years ago would have been brimming with discussion - but that has been taken away by the current regime - it makes my blood boil what they have done.

I take it that you mean the regime at WFC rather than the regime on UTS?

Not so long ago a moderator on this board referred to folk who tried to see the odd glass as half-full around the place as "Bonser Bummers". Not the best way for somebody in authority to stimulate open debate on a public forum.

Decent point yesterday. Good to keep a clean sheet.

UTS

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:44 pm

0-0?! Bonser Out!! :wink:

Im very happy with a 0-0 away at Gillingham, giving there form at home. People who are moaning :- Look at stats before launching into an assault at Walsall & Hutch for a 0-0 which ALOT of teams in the league would be happy with away at Gillingham going by there form at home.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:48 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:0-0?! Bonser Out!! :wink:

Im very happy with a 0-0 away at Gillingham, giving there form at home. People who are moaning :- Look at stats before launching into an assault at Walsall & Hutch for a 0-0 which ALOT of teams in the league would be happy with away at Gillingham going by there form at home.

It's a pity Colin Lee couldn't get a 0-0 draw at Gillingham against a team below us in the league. Or even a 2-0 defeat, then who knows where we would be now.
*Can of worms opened, time to leg it*

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:22 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:0-0?! Bonser Out!! :wink:

did u go though mate? it was awful, after travelling all that way the fans that went desreved better than that pile of crud.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:29 pm

bristol (h), oldham, brentford and yeovil are all more than winable, charlton are not the team of a few weeks ago, we have a fair recent history at bristol away, not saying we wont lose some, but why wont we pick up points in these games :oops:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 am

windowman wrote:bristol (h), oldham, brentford and yeovil are all more than winable, charlton are not the team of a few weeks ago, we have a fair recent history at bristol away, not saying we wont lose some, but why wont we pick up points in these games :oops:

I agree. Why indeed? Probably because the "glass half empty" posters on here would prefer it that way.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season