Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League 1 Saurday 30/1/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
saddlersam
UTS Legend

Re: Gillingham (A) League 1 Saurday 30/1/10.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:46 am

There's a lot of vitriol on the message board for what normally would be considered a good point away at a team that have a solid home record. 4 games ago I would've taken a point and a clean sheet but the games are becoming more relative to each other and with our run of fixtures i do worry if this was an oportunity spurned rather than point gained.
There was simply no urgency from our team. We certainly looked scared to lose this one, although in the grand scheme of things you can understand that. I brought along an Everton fan and a West Ham fan to this (poor chaps) and tey both said the same thing. If Simeon Jackson had been on form he could've fired a brace with the chances we had. On the flip side however, the game was there for the taking and more urgency in the last 25 minutes and we could've had the game.
There was nothing for Deeney or Byfield to feed on as Bradley in particular was was again invisible in midfield and balls were played both long and very off target.
If we'd have capitalised on our early chance then we could've held out too.

Ince - One of his more solid displays, did what he had to do well.

Weston - Constantly out paced, passing awful. Get it on the floor Rhys!!
Smith - Very solid, i feel comfortable with him in the back four.
MacDonald - Pretty solid himself. He does however seem to have the turning circle of an oil tanker.
Vincent - I like the player, but some of his passing left a lot to be desired.

Till - Unfortunately he lacks the one ability wingers should have - the ability to go past people. I don't think Till is actually as pants as i used to, he's just not mid-table League One standard.
Mattis - Personally i thought he was one of our better players. Hassled their midfield and put in a number of cracking blocks and interceptions.
Bradley - Absolutely nothing to say about another nothing performance.
Richards - I think it's a shame he's on our left rather than in the middle being anchored by a ball winning defensive midfielder. He's ok on the ball but like Till he doesn't possess the atrbutes of a winger.

Deeney - I think he played well, held up the ball (as best he could) and chased down everything, even if it was just a sniff. Tired towards the end, but that was understandable due to the lack of support from the midfield. Anyone noticed the way he runs?! Big old flappy arms, it's brilliant.
Good Tekkers.
Byfield - Class when it works out for him. I didn't think he really got in to the game until Nicholls was brought on on the right. That was more to do with him having two men on him at any one time though. He is a big threat and other teams know that.

Subs:
Taundry - I would give him a starting role in defensive midfield. Not on this display but on the fact he must now be hungry and that is something that Bradley seems to be lacking. He'll tussle with the oppositions midfield and lets face it, he'll surely give them a tougher time than Bradley.
Nicholls - Changed the game. The Gills left back was scared of the lad's pace. As mentioned above, if the urgency would've been there i think Nicholls could've proved the match winner. Must be given a run out on Tuesday.

As i said above, 0-0 away at a team with their home record would normally have been a great result so really take the result as you feel. We've got some tough games coming up though.

This certainly wasn't an advert for League One football though...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Gillingham (A) League 1 Saurday 30/1/10.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:15 am

Nicholls has to make an appearance next week. Especially as he has a point to prove.

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season