Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton and Hove Albion (H) League 1 Saturday 16/1/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Brighton and Hove Albion (H) League 1 Saturday 16/1/10.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:37 pm

tinned wrote:
I agree sacking Hutchings would be useless now. Don't get me wrong, he is a useless waster, without a tactical bone in his body, and absolutely no idea about changing a game or substitutions. In any normal situation I'd be calling for his head without hesitation. However, while we've got Bonser in charge we may as well stick with what we've got as they'll all be working with their hands tied behind their back.

I dont agree with the not sacking Hutchings.
The bloke is absolutely useless beyond belief. There are managers unemployed out there who would do a much better job.
HUTCHINGS OUT!

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:38 pm

thickkearns wrote:got a feeling we might get on the end of 2-1 the wrong end...!!!

Hate being right !! did Mattis play? or should I say can anyone remember him having a good game this season so far ??

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:41 pm

thickkearns wrote:
thickkearns wrote:got a feeling we might get on the end of 2-1 the wrong end...!!!

Hate being right !! did Mattis play? or should I say can anyone remember him having a good game this season so far ??

He was on the pitch but as far as playing???? Mmmmm, I doubt it.

The midfield was awful. I wish I had a Welsh granny. Then I would surely have a 100 caps if Bradley has got 1. PATHETIC!

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Right!!! I've had enough of Hutchings and his c"ap players and tactics. Sansara is useless, a complete donkey and i'm not for one minute defending him but it has to be a tactical decision from Hutchings that Sansara drops to centre half when defending leaving richards on his own, I don't understand it for one second. Everytime they came down the left Sansara was out of position marking the centre forard with Hughes marking space. Why does he try to bomb forward at every opportunity? He's not even good at going forward - your a fecking left back, play at left back!!

It's Hutchings squad and his players - and on the whole it's pathetic. Worst midfeild i've seen in 20 years of watching us.

The worst thing for me is that it's impossible to get out of a Hutchings team! Sansara would of been dropped by anyone with half an ounce of sence after being given the run around at stourbridge, Bradley is consitently poor, Richards is being played out of position and you can tell, Till is useless.

Never mind Chris, tell you what, try the same tactics and the same players next week, might work :twisted:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Crud, Crud, Crud.
Not heard Hutchings after match comments yet but would imagine they would consist of the words "Pitch" "Heavy" "Rusty" "Match Fitness" and the phrase "Brighton will be there or there abouts".
First class finish by Foster by why did he have to act a knob and wind up the crowd with his celebration, wasn't even as though he'd been given any stick. Should have been a card and he should have known better.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:56 pm

I agree, its definately the weakest midfield I've ever seen, Bradley is worse than useless, Mattis is a League 2 slogger, Richards is crap...and he was the better of the 4 today, and Till is a nothing player...no pace, no skill, no end product.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:17 pm

I think the state of the pitch was to blame. It didnt allow us to play our usual fluid passing style of play :shock: :wink:

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:23 pm

We we're absolutly awfull today and all credit to Brighton who we're up for it and passed the ball around and played football. God knows why the game was on as the pitch was awful.

Sansara and Westlake we're dragged into the center to many time and there wingers were able time after time to get around the back of them to cross the ball. Sansara is just NOT up to the task.

We looked alot better when Bradley (god knows why we keep playing him) was replaced by O'Keef and Parkin came on. I also thought that Ince is looking passed his best and have thought that for a while that we really need to give Gilmartin a long run as much as it pains me.

We really, really need strengthening but doubtful we will be. :( :(

I'm now begining to wonder if we made the right choice in Hutch as his team choice and substitions, on a whole, are very suspect.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:42 pm

dreadful performance today!

Really you have to question team selection again from Hutchings.Sansara was awful but seemed to see alot of the ball only to give it straight back to the opposition without hesitation.Unfortunately westlake was not much better and was constantly pushed off the ball.It really was men agianst boys in both positions which is a terrible shame as I really wanted them to do well.

Our midfield is woeful.All 4 across the middle need replacing and fast before we get sucked into a relegation scrap.Let's face it if we can't beat Brighton what chance do we have against Norwich/Charlton/leeds?

We need to get Jones fit urgently to save the season and get Keates back imo to evoke some passion.Considering the crap spouted by some first teamers about being desparate to get back playing today I'm trully gutted by another inept performance.Brighton were not great but throughly deserved their win.

Agian what the hell is Hutchings problem with Alex Nicholls?

SwiftlySaddler

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Why did the groundsmen have to work so hard to get the game on?

After 4 weeks of "preparation" and "hard fitness training" i really did expect more from today. But, it was incredibly awful and frustrating!

Ince 1st half did not want to come out from his 6 yard box, and yes, we all no his kicking is not the best, but its laughable that a keeper cant kick straight! 2-3 times towards the end of the game did he manage to kick correctly, but other than that, nearly every kick went either out of touch or to our player. Did not seem to make any relatively important saves, but i thought he could of done better for the 2nd goal.

Sansara. Why is he even in the squad? Let alone the starting 11! Can't pass, cant beat a man, and cant clear. Not to mention the number of times he was dragged into the middle leaving their winger in so much space. The amount of times this season that we have let a goal in when the opposition are attacking down our left hand side must be quite a few?

Hugh's and Smith were Ok, but we are getting played through the middle far too often. Marking was not great in the first half, but improved in the second.

I really cant comment on Westlakes performance. Did not think he had much to do, seeing as all the play went down the left wing.

Fair play to Richards today though. I was never a fan of him, from the first game i saw him play. But, he took his goal very well, especially the footwork, beating a couple of men! (Which may be the first time i have seen him do this!) Deserved MoTM, though, there was not much of a choice for it.

Mattis was inexistent.
Bradley was again very poor. I don't want to slate him though, due to the fact we all no what he is capable of doing.

Till was maybe the best i have seen of him this season. Saw him at Wycome and Milwall, but today i thought he looked alright. Was able to beat a few men, and put some decent crosses in. We really need jones back though.

Deeney and Byfield both worked hard as the usually do. Deeney really should of put it at 2-2, but their keeper made a very good save. Just after the keeper was on the floor for about 4 minutes, only to get back up again and play on?

Parkin made more of a contribution on the game in 10 minutes than Mattis did in the 90.
O'Keefe was average.

We are just a mediocre Mid-Table team, Hutchins needs to sign in this window.

Another season in League 1 next year.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Crud, Crud, Crud.
Not heard Hutchings after match comments yet but would imagine they would consist of the words "Pitch" "Heavy" "Rusty" "Match Fitness" and the phrase "Brighton will be there or there abouts".

Me and my mates guessed at least 3 of them during the match. His excuses (sorry, reason for defeat) are as predictable as his "tactics".

m&m wrote:Considering the crap spouted by some first teamers about being desparate to get back playing today I'm trully gutted by another inept performance.

Exactly what I said on Facebook. Words am cheap you wasters!!!!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:27 pm

I'll keep it short:

We were awful from start to finish.
Better team won.
Cracking goal by Richards (by his standards anyway)
We should have had a penalty, clear foul on Byfield.
Hutchings in clueless
We need wingers
Hughes looked like he had put on about 2stone and was knackered after 5 minutes.

We're going to slide down the table.

Our MOTM? Laughable to even suggest anyone.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:28 pm

I used to like MAttis but this season he's been shown up to be completly useless. And Bradley will probably be at Walsall for another 5 years becaue he had a great half season. He's whack. If he got a cap, i really feel sorry for Wales.

As someone said earlier, entire midfield 4 is USELESS.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Useless HUTCHINGS & MOC out now. They are losers.

Get a proper a manager in now.
Last edited by Asps on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:05 am

Dreadful.

Sansara, Bradley, Till - useless.

I'd give o'keefe a start.

Ince is past his best and imo will be out the door if he doesn't retire come may.

Westlake, Richards and Byfield we're the only players with a clue.

How did deeney miss that sitter at the end, very poor.

What the HELL does alex nicholls have to do to get a game?

Very, very poor. My 16th estimate isn't looking to far wrong.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:38 am

Sadders wrote:

What the HELL does alex nicholls have to do to get a game?

Leave the club, he's wasting his time with Hutchmoc in charge.

bush360
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:45 am

We were shocking yesterday, Sansara has no pace, we were hopelessly exposed by pace v Southampton and it was like watching the same game yesterday.

richards was no better, slow and ponderous, man of the match a joke, if I was the sponser I would of picked Parkin, he tried harder than anyone else and he was only on for 10 mins, he tried to link play up which we seemed incapable of before. We do have to have players that can pass, we seemed very good at finding Brighton players yesterday LH side is supplemented by Hughes who has lost whatever form he had, turned easily

I dread the rest of the season, its quite obvious that Hutchins has no time for Nicholls, a player of pace Till was OK but limited in his approach. I assume that Jones is not in his plans either or the injury is worse than we think, however the heavy pitch is not good for groins.

Play offs, would we really want to be the beating boys in the championship. We shall get enough with Norwich and charlton to come

Hutchins states back to the Fotress, time for him to find another castle

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 am

bush360 wrote:We were shocking yesterday, Sansara has no pace, we were hopelessly exposed by pace v Southampton and it was like watching the same game yesterday.

richards was no better, slow and ponderous, man of the match a joke, if I was the sponser I would of picked Parkin.

that just shows how little you understand about football. Richards is not a winger. He's never claimed to be. Nor does he have any pace. He also has a full back with no positional sense who will offer him no attacking support or defensive security. Had he been a central midfielder yesterday, no one would have bemoaned a lack of pace etc. Instead they'd have focussed on the fact that his pass completion was by far the best of any of our players and that pretty much all our decent work went through him. Oh, And a decent goal that shows he has good feet. Still, he's dead slow though, ay he?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:28 am

King Crimson wrote:
bush360 wrote:We were shocking yesterday, Sansara has no pace, we were hopelessly exposed by pace v Southampton and it was like watching the same game yesterday.

richards was no better, slow and ponderous, man of the match a joke, if I was the sponser I would of picked Parkin.

that just shows how little you understand about football. Richards is not a winger. He's never claimed to be. Nor does he have any pace. He also has a full back with no positional sense who will offer him no attacking support or defensive security. Had he been a central midfielder yesterday, no one would have bemoaned a lack of pace etc. Instead they'd have focussed on the fact that his pass completion was by far the best of any of our players and that pretty much all our decent work went through him. Oh, And a decent goal that shows he has good feet. Still, he's dead slow though, ay he?

It ay that he's slow, Scouse. It's the fact that people "just don't like him."

Well, that's the excuse I got given to me when I mentioned about 5 other players were far, far worse.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:11 pm

I thought Richards was pritty bad yesterday, but i wouldnt of said he was the worst man on the field, agreed there were definatly alot worse players out there, e.g Sansara, Bradley. Till was as good as anyone on the field, I've been quick to critisise the lad before but personally I thought he had a decent game yesterday, my personal man of the match would of the match would of been Byfield who ran himself into the ground with next to nothing serivce wise closely followed by Till.

What it is with Richards, people can have there other opinions but this is mine, hes just far too slow with the ball, when we counter attack we give him the ball and he stops and waits always giving the oposition time to regroup, there were so many examples of that yesterday, where we could of opened Brighton up on the counter but our play had been slown right down by Dr Evil, if were gunna play the guy why does Hutchings constantly play him on the left, bang him in the middle with O'Keefe and drop Mattis & Bradley and get Nicholls on the left, maybe even Till when Jones is fit, we rely so much on Jones its frightening, its a bloody good job all those games were called off if we were gunna have to pla them with out Chesney in the side.
Last edited by bleed_red_n_white on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:37 pm

As bad as anything i witnessed under Merson or Mullen ,

Woeful

Be warned we are only 7 points off the drop zone

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Shocking team selection.

Without Jones and Byfield we really would be in the relegation mix but their quality will mean we finish 13th-19th rather than gewin down.

bush360
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:39 pm

King Crimson wrote:

I suppose you will need to wait till season end to see who knows about football, thats why you and me support Walsall, he is not the best footballer seen in a Walsall shirt, but if you say he is a centre mid, play him there, Against Soton and Brighton he was hopelessly exposed against pace, do not put him in that position.Pass completion, someone tell him we wear RED, you must watch a different game

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:29 pm

bush360 wrote:Pass completion, someone tell him we wear RED, you must watch a different game

I guess I must.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:37 pm

King Crimson wrote:
bush360 wrote:Pass completion, someone tell him we wear RED, you must watch a different game

I guess I must.

I sometimes think "Wendy" is colourblind. Sure can't see red that's for sure.

Duke is right. when we are at our best we're passable. When we're bad we're just has bad as Mersescum and Muddle.

We will do nothing with Hutchings in charge. :(

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:31 pm

tinned wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

I guess I must.

Right! Forget Carling Opta stats, next home game (pen and paper at the ready) I'm going to tally how many passes Richards makes successfully, and how many times he concedes possession. I bet his pass completion is north of 80%.

So there. :!:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:33 pm

King Crimson wrote:
tinned wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

I guess I must.

Right! Forget Carling Opta stats, next home game (pen and paper at the ready) I'm going to tally how many passes Richards makes successfully, and how many times he concedes possession. I bet his pass completion is north of 80%.

Don't bother. We did the same thing for Wright and found that he actually wasn't as bad as many say. They still won't listen though.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:30 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
tinned wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

I guess I must.

Don't bother. We did the same thing for Wright and found that he actually wasn't as bad as many say. They still won't listen though.

Never have a bunch of fans been more able to demonstrate the "give a dog a bad name" saying than ours. Richards was the best of the eleven who played the majority of the game (although the best performance was Parkin's 10 minutes). Our problem is that is is being played on the left wing when he isn't a winger, mainly because we don't have a single left winger in the entire squad (great team building there, Hutch). Jones isn't really one, being naturally right footed.The times Richards has played central midfield, he has looked comfortable. The same , to an extent, is true with Bradley and Mattis, both of whom have looked their best for us playing with an holding midfielder and with a free role. Neither can really tackle, so we are constantly over run. The squad is not very well balanced, really.

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season