Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (A) League 1 Re Arranged Tuesday 23/3/10

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Southend United (A) League 1 Re Arranged Tuesday 23/3/10

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:02 pm

Hutchings is worse than Jimmy Mullen!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:03 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:did we really expect anything more? We're got a useless team and a clueless manager who opts to play richards over smith...for an away game where we know we're going to need to keep it tight at the back.

What the hell was wrong with swapping smith for hughes? We look far less vulnerable with vincent at left back (at least he heads the ball) and far less vulnerable with a 6ft plus centre back at...centre back!

Even if smith has signalled his intention to leave, id still play him.

Have you heard that?

No, but given whats been said in the press by hutch, ie. passing the blame on the smith for the contract talks stalling...and the fact theres been no further indication that he's staying or that talks are ongoing, i assume he will be leaving, and it also would fit in nicely with why we signed Clayton Mcdonald in january.

He's done very well this season and can expect to trouser a better deal. It's up to the club to manage his expectations and ambitions in that area, and if they don't think they can afford him he'll be off. Better to demonise the player by using emotive terms like "contract rebel" than to tell everyone that they can't afford him due to lack of funds.

I'd still play him too.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Since the win at Yeovil in early December, our league record is:

P18 W4 D5 L9 F16 A28 PTS17

Thank god we got all those points early on. That, and the low standard of the bottom third of this division will keep us up. Expect a finish of between 16th-18th.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Disgraceful result.

The odd well timed paper over the cracks result is keeping Hutchout in his job.

Hutchout OUT!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Since the win at Yeovil in early December, our league record is:

P18 W4 D5 L9 F16 A28 PTS17

Thank god we got all those points early on. That, and the low standard of the bottom third of this division will keep us up. Expect a finish of between 16th-18th.

That's terrible.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 pm

Pathetic!
Typical bloody Hutchings team.One goog result followed by a bloody disaster against a team who would have struggled to beat Bloxwich!

HUTCHINGS OUT!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Exile wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:did we really expect anything more? We're got a useless team and a clueless manager who opts to play richards over smith...for an away game where we know we're going to need to keep it tight at the back.

What the hell was wrong with swapping smith for hughes? We look far less vulnerable with vincent at left back (at least he heads the ball) and far less vulnerable with a 6ft plus centre back at...centre back!

Even if smith has signalled his intention to leave, id still play him.

Have you heard that?

No, but given whats been said in the press by hutch, ie. passing the blame on the smith for the contract talks stalling...and the fact theres been no further indication that he's staying or that talks are ongoing, i assume he will be leaving, and it also would fit in nicely with why we signed Clayton Mcdonald in january.

He's done very well this season and can expect to trouser a better deal. It's up to the club to manage his expectations and ambitions in that area, and if they don't think they can afford him he'll be off. Better to demonise the player by using emotive terms like "contract rebel" than to tell everyone that they can't afford him due to lack of funds.

I'd still play him too.

We dont know the full story, but it wouldnt surprise me considering how much and how well he'd played between august and christmas that his agent approached the club to sort out a new deal. The club refused to talk (as we know january is too early in the clubs eyes) and he's probably then been touted around to other clubs.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Just been listening to WM and apparently you could hear Hutchings givin em a bollocking all the way down the hall.

Sorry, but that aint good enough.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:22 pm

I know the usual suspects will come on here and say "It's a sign we lost a game" but when is it going to dawn on everyone that we're going nowhere with this clueless baffoon in charge?

We hall thought (hoped) that last Saturday wa the turning point after the blood-letting via Deeney. In fact it was just more of the papering over the cracks that he talked about.

Why in the world people still waste money/time off work etc to travel to see this lot of losers is beyond me. Some call it loyal, I call it stupisity bordering on insanity.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:25 pm

tinned wrote:Why in the world people still waste money/time off work etc to travel to see this lot of losers is beyond me. Some call it loyal, I call it stupisity bordering on insanity.

It's probably because, despite everything, they're our losers.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:27 pm

philthesaddler wrote:We dont know the full story, but it wouldnt surprise me considering how much and how well he'd played between august and christmas that his agent approached the club to sort out a new deal. The club refused to talk (as we know january is too early in the clubs eyes) and he's probably then been touted around to other clubs.

As I understand it, isn't the problem that Manny got himself a new agent during negotiations? Agents make more money by getting their clients more money. Which is presumably why he's touting him round other clubs and stalling Walsall.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2010/03/1 ... lers-deal/

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:29 pm

Exile wrote:
tinned wrote:Why in the world people still waste money/time off work etc to travel to see this lot of losers is beyond me. Some call it loyal, I call it stupisity bordering on insanity.

It's probably because, despite everything, they're our losers.

I've lost the compulsive desire to tavel here, there and everywhere watching total bollocks week in week out. Our total bollocks or not.

Thank God.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:....on the positive side, we're still 12th :D

As Geordie predicted we would be over 2 years ago :D :wink:

Don't wake the Kracken, he'll be telling us about all the real scratchings someone was eating behind the goal around the back of some obscure pub in Whitby on the sea.

Can't wait.

Not the same meaningless limp jibe with slightly re-arranged words for what... the 37th time this season?

Spot the theme :wink:

Can't wait for some new material.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

latviancheese wrote:Just been listening to WM and apparently you could hear Hutchings givin em a bollocking all the way down the hall.

Its a start..

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:32 pm

tinned wrote:I know the usual suspects will come on here and say "It's a sign we lost a game" but when is it going to dawn on everyone that we're going nowhere with this clueless baffoon in charge?

We hall thought (hoped) that last Saturday wa the turning point after the blood-letting via Deeney. In fact it was just more of the papering over the cracks that he talked about.

Why in the world people still waste money/time off work etc to travel to see this lot of losers is beyond me. Some call it loyal, I call it stupisity bordering on insanity.

The final straw with away games for me was brentford in the cup, a total non performance. That has happened far far too many times this season, home and away.

I do blame hutchings to an extent, but its far from ideal having an almost entire squad out of contract, the players probably cant be arsed knowing theyre being messed about with deals.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Just been listening to WM and apparently you could hear Hutchings givin em a bollocking all the way down the hall.

Its a start..

I hope it's the fudge end.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Don't wake the Kracken, he'll be telling us about all the real scratchings someone was eating behind the goal around the back of some obscure pub in Whitby on the sea.

Can't wait.

Not the same meaningless limp jibe with slightly re-arranged words for what... the 37th time this season?

spot the theme :wink:

Hi Geordie :D

Hoped I might smoke you out of the long grass.

Our bet is starting to look interesting eh, with Luton on the march!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 pm

bangsection wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:We dont know the full story, but it wouldnt surprise me considering how much and how well he'd played between august and christmas that his agent approached the club to sort out a new deal. The club refused to talk (as we know january is too early in the clubs eyes) and he's probably then been touted around to other clubs.

As I understand it, isn't the problem that Manny got himself a new agent during negotiations? Agents make more money by getting their clients more money. Which is presumably why he's touting him round other clubs and stalling Walsall.

Yes, thats the ''story'' just like Paul Boertien was ''injured'' and suffolk life ''own'' the freehold and that it was our ''aim'' to get promoted for next season...

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:39 pm

It's only a guess but I suppose a 100 plus saddlers must have made the long journey to Roots Hall tonight.

The club should either compensate them or get Hutchings to cough up for their entrance fees and travel costs.

Losing is one thing but getting hammered by the worst team in the league on current form is disgraceful.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:42 pm

bangsection wrote:

Nothing like positive reinforcement from your manager to help make yor mind up. Also, as Phil wrote, keeping him on the bench will further convince him that his future lies elsewhere

WfcDanOc
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:54 pm

I think the frustrating thing here is we've Beat Leeds(a), held Norwich to a goalless draw(a), been denied a win again Charlton(h) after a very dubious pen and been a goal up with 10 mintues to play against both Leeds(h) & Norwich(h), so there obviously is some kind of foundation for us to build on, the problem is that the tactical building blocks required aren't forthcoming from our management, or coaching staff

Hutchings makes poor desicions, simple as, his starting XI is normally poor, playing players out of position, his substitutions are poorly timeds and strange most of the time, and this is the side that we see, god knows what goes on in training, because as far as I can see we don't practice our set pieces, short throws, goal kicking etc etc

I'm not one to buy in on the "Give MO'C a try" nonsense either, yes he does all the shouting on the touchline, but he hardly pulled any trees up at Halseowen, I think some people are getting a bit sentimental with that gesture.

I think that Westlake, Smith, Hughes, McDonald, Taundry, Nicholls & Deeney are the youth we need to build a side around, Jones, Byfield & Mattis are the only experienced, quality players we've got, and are injury prone. We need to ship out the dross (Richards, O'Keefe, Sansara, Bradley) I'm not saying they are shocking, but none of those players will ever roll up there sleeves and dig in for the club, they shy from the ball and don't want to know when the going gets tough, not saying they are the only ones, just the ones i've noticed!

So much to sort out for next season, we need to crawl our way to 50 points sharpish and the powers that be need to start planning for next season, because with the squad & management team we've got at the moment, next season could be a lead balloon

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Can't wait.

spot the theme :wink:

Hi Geordie :D

Hoped I might smoke you out of the long grass.

Our bet is starting to look interesting eh, with Luton on the march!

They've got a very good manager.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:13 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Can't wait.

Spot the theme :wink:

I'm devastated, how could I have been so slip shod. I've checked my records and can only find 2 years of repetition. It would appear that I have mistakenly misread your posts :roll:

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:16 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Nothing like positive reinforcement from your manager to help make yor mind up. Also, as Phil wrote, keeping him on the bench will further convince him that his future lies elsewhere

Equally, if Smith - and his agent - have already decided that his future lies elsewhere then why play him when there are others who deserve a chance to earn a new contract? Everyone agrees we've nothing much to play for anymore so if you want to take a stand (as we know Bonser likes to occasionally) then that gives you an opportunity to do it. Still, all very much speculation at the moment (although the E&S's use of the term "contract rebel" is an interesting clue, even if it is club spin).

But with McDonald and Hughes both banned for the next few games then Smith probably will get his chance again. If he doesn't we'll really know that he's burnt his bridges.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:23 pm

why play smith? 'cos we're paying him!

He's been first choice centre back most of the season, then we lose Hughes to suspension and he doesnt come back in...something fishy going on.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Get rid of everyone.

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:00 am

Losing 3-0 to a relegation threatened club is the sort of result that gets the manager the sack.
Something has to change or we'll keep getting the same stuff.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 am

I've stuck by Hutchings for the whole season, I have backed him up when many have wanted him out for quite awhile.
I think the time has come though for even me to stop backing him up. If I was chairman, this result would be the final straw and would see him sacked.
We keep getting the odd lucky result after a bad run. If it wasnt for the odd good result, Colchester, Leeds, the 3-2 comeback vs Wycombe even, if we had lost to Wycombe 2-0 that would of been shocking. People do indeed forget results like that because we ended up winning it.
Next season we do need change, and I would sack Hutchings now, give MOC the last few games to see if he suits the job.

kevin
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:34 am

philthesaddler wrote:................................ but its far from ideal having an almost entire squad out of contract, the players probably cant be bothered knowing theyre being messed about with deals.

Couldn't agree more.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:05 am

DanWalsallFC wrote:I've stuck by Hutchings for the whole season, I have backed him up when many have wanted him out for quite awhile.
I think the time has come though for even me to stop backing him up. If I was chairman, this result would be the final straw and would see him sacked.
We keep getting the odd lucky result after a bad run. If it wasnt for the odd good result, Colchester, Leeds, the 3-2 comeback vs Wycombe even, if we had lost to Wycombe 2-0 that would of been shocking. People do indeed forget results like that because we ended up winning it.
Next season we do need change, and I would sack Hutchings now, give MOC the last few games to see if he suits the job.

Couldnt agree more.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season