Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Norwich City (H) League 1 Tuesday Re-Re-Arranged. 26/1/10

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Duke
Site Addict

Norwich City (H) League 1 Tuesday Re-Re-Arranged. 26/1/10

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:56 am

Well welcome the Carnaries to the Banks for the first time since our championship days.

For Guide City's last 6 league games .

Brighton - home - won 4-1
Southend - away - won 3-0
Oldham - home - won 2-0
Yeovil - away - drew 3-3
Huddersfield - home - won 3-0
Millwall - home - won 2-0

Last league defeat - 1-2 at Elland Road 19/10/09 .
However Norwich were beaten 3-1 at Carlisle in the F A Cup second round.

Full away record.

4 Wins
Hartlepool 2-0
Carlisle 1-0
Stockport 3-1
Southend 3-1

4 Draws
Exeter 1-1
Gillingham 1-1
Southampton 2-2
Yeovil 3-3

3 Defeats

Brentford 1-2
M K Dons 1-2
Leeds - 1-2

19 goals for - 14 against.

At the time of posting Norwich sit 4th in the table on 42 points from 22 played .

Prediction : 1-1
Last edited by Duke on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Re: Norwich City (H) League 1 Monday 28/12/09. KO 15.00

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:06 am

Walsall 7-0 Norwich City
SHABBA MINT release their single a cover of the wham classic club tropicana . The group look odds on to be the christmas number 1 until a facebook campaign to started to get uts veteran and stalwart DUKE to number with his version of the elvis classic the wonder of you threatens to stop from this happening. After weeks of sales of both singles it is annouced on radio 1 that the uts veteran and stalwart DUKE has beaten SHABBA MINT to the christmas number one slot with his version of the elvis classic the wonder of you. TO BE CONTINUED.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:59 am

big baz 1 wrote:Walsall 7-0 Norwich City
SHABBA MINT release their single a cover of the wham classic club tropicana . The group look odds on to be the christmas number 1 until a facebook campaign to started to get uts veteran and stalwart DUKE to number with his version of the elvis classic the wonder of you threatens to stop from this happening. After weeks of sales of both singles it is annouced on radio 1 that the uts veteran and stalwart DUKE has beaten SHABBA MINT to the christmas number one slot with his version of the elvis classic the wonder of you. TO BE CONTINUED.

:lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:23 pm

I think we should deffo be up for this now we have had the extra day off. Norwich have quality but i think we should be looking positive going into this game.

Ill go for a tight 1-1 draw.

Byfield to score for us. Att 6,000

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:48 pm

2-0 defeat, in front of 6,255 [1,953 Canaries].

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:38 pm

7 -1 Saddlers

the days rest will more than compensate for their extra quality / form / momentum and generally being better than us

0-1 at half time , then a second half blitz , all goals in a 6 minute period between 74 and 80 minutes

Weston 3
Sansara 3
Roy Whalley 1

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:01 pm

2-2 :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:50 pm

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:09 pm

moanin old git wrote:Has to be 0-3 defeat, minimum...have you seen how many goals thier forwards have scored this season?
May be a bit like the slaughter of the innocents, they are currently 'on fire' I believe now that it will be a battle
between Norwich & Southampton for that second auto spot, think Charlton are too inconsistent (I think we may even get a
point out of them) and Huddersfield,( who were may early favourites) are just too poor away from home to be the automatic choice.

Though I was coming down for the match tomorrow, I dont want to see another defeat, I see enough of them at
away matches thanks. :(

44 aint it ?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:17 pm

2pm and its off. What a f*****g joke, i hope the ref gets the sack. Throw the book at him.

ABSOLUTE JOKE, how we cant get teh game on is beyond me, my back garden ay got no sun yet thats not frosted and im 5mins away.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:25 pm

This is just unbelievable.

Ok I live 10 miles from Walsall in Cannock. My house backs onto Cannock Golf Course and walked that this morning. Without the aid of covering, braziers etc it is perfectly playable.

No mention on the club site that the game was even in doubt. Just pathethic.

Feel very sorry for those Canary fans. Hope the Club find some way to give them a voucher for a free entry into the replayed game.

We are a tin-pot club in every sense.

Happy New Year to everyone ( except JB obviously)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:27 pm

Apparently Norwich refused to play. Lol, i hope the team crashes into the embankment on the way home. Cheerio.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:30 pm

latviancheese wrote:Apparently Norwich refused to play.

Crikey, If thats true what a way to treat your own fans. Jeeeeeeeeeez.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:32 pm

According to the wfc site there was an inspection at 11 ish i think this morning and that the ref said it was ok. norwich turned up and asked him to look again! thought the ref was supposed to be independant. Hutch has said that the pitch is in a better condition than the orient game which passed with no problems.

let the bad talking between the managers commence

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Unbeaten over christmas eh. Who'd have thought that

Carolina Saddler

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:54 pm

The ref's were up in the Boner Suite after. The Norwich management absolutly did not want to play.
This is going to huge financial disaster for Walsall. They just had to refund me £140+.

Louise
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:55 pm

I always thought that the Ref made the final decision re a match being played.
I dont care what Lambert did or didnt say - or Hutch for that matter - if the Ref thought it was playable then we should play.
Since when did Managers dictate whether a match gets played or not!
The lateness of the decision is inexcusable.

Hednesfordred

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:28 pm

According to Norwich fans site they said it was our fault. They reckon we were desperate for the game to go on for the money, and persuaded the ref not to call it off earlier !!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Hednesfordred wrote:According to Norwich fans site they said it was our fault. They reckon we were desperate for the game to go on for the money, and persuaded the ref not to call it off earlier !!

They may have a point. Walsall obviously wanted the match on from a financial point of view, but it is the referees decision ultimately - the pitch was either playable or it was'nt and he made the call. It sounds as if a formal inspection should have been made earlier along with an annoucement as to whether the match was on by 11.30 at the latest. It may well be that Walsall officials persuaded the referee to defer the decision, with the risk of a late postponment and all the havoc that goes with it.

It is hard to see Walsall FC having no responsibility at all, with the exception that the pitch was absolutely fine, and the referee was pressured into cancelling by Norwich. Any other scenario, and Walsall must shoulder some blame.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:14 pm

Apparently the ref was happy to play but Lambert said he wasn't happy to play. Apparently it needs the agreement of all three parties for the game to go ahead. It seems a bit strange that a manager can force the issue to benefit his team that are struggling with injuries.

If the ref's happy then that should be that, the game should either go ahead or the game is awarded to the team happy to play.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:29 pm

I was there early and having a pint looking at all the drums on the pitch, the ref came out at 2pm to what turned out to be a further inspection and was within minutes surrounded by several of the Norwich staff. Then a few minutes after that Hutchings came out and went straight over followed by Whalley plus several other crombie wearing bodies.

There was a lot of pointing and shaking of heads then I saw one bloke walk off doing the head chop sign to denote it was off and that was about 2.10pm.

I was convinced the ref cameunder intense pressure to call off as the pitch looked better than against Leyton Orient however I didn't walk on the actual areas where the problem was which was the away end corners I would say 10m square.

A few of the playesr then came out plus all the stewards and then there were all sorts of suits walking around as the refs left the pitch.

They let some of the Norwich fans in I guess for toilets and refreshments and as you can guess there was some banter directed towards the officials. Anyway heading back I stopped and watch training for a bit which was good

To finish off the day as I left about 3.00 the Norwich team coach was heading for the M6 so they obviously didn't hang around

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:11 am

tinned wrote:Apparently the ref was happy to play but Lambert said he wasn't happy to play. Apparently it needs the agreement of all three parties for the game to go ahead. It seems a bit strange that a manager can force the issue to benefit his team that are struggling with injuries.

If the ref's happy then that should be that, the game should either go ahead or the game is awarded to the team happy to play.

I agree with your conclusion.

The laws say that it is entirely up to the referee - and a couple of weeks ago when Leyton Orient came their manager wanted the game called off, but the referee rightly said the pitch was fit and took no notice.

However a weak referee will not want to stick his neck out if one of the managers is unhappy. He loses nothing by calling the match off, and does not the run the slight risk of being blamed for an injury if the match is played.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:59 am

Bernie wrote:
tinned wrote:Apparently, the ref was happy to play but Lambert said he wasn't happy to play. Apparently, it needs the agreement of all three parties for the game to go ahead. It seems a bit strange that a manager can force the issue to benefit his team that are struggling with injuries.

I agree with your conclusion.

The laws say that it is entirely up to the referee - and a couple of weeks ago, when Leyton Orient came, their manager wanted the game called off but the referee rightly said the pitch was fit and took no notice.

However, a weak referee will not want to stick his neck out if one of the managers is unhappy. He loses nothing by calling the match off and does not the run the slight risk of being blamed for an injury if the match is played.

Bernie is correct - with one proviso. The referee may be ordered to postpone the game or delay the kick-off by the Police Officer, in charge of safety, if spectators are endangered in or around the ground. Clearly, this was not the case at Bescot, yesterday.

The matter of safety of players, as opposed to spectators, rests entirely with the referee alone. Some (many? most? all?) referees will, as a matter of course, consult the two team managers and take into account their opinions when making his final decision. This, however, is merely a matter of courtesy, not obligation, and the ultimate decision still rests with the referee alone. What is important is that when we train referees, we stress that any such consultation MUST take place simultaneously so that each manager can hear what his counterpart says to the referee. Under no circumstances should one manager be allowed to have a "private" word with the referee. It would seem that this practice was not followed, yesterday.

Yesterday's farce was down to one man only - the referee. He was either weak or incompetent (or both). Lambert may well have been an arrogant tosspot, inconsiderate of his team's fans, but he could easily have been told to go forth and multiply and stop whingeing, by the referee - just as the Leyton Orient manager was, a couple of weeks ago.

It is symptomatic of a broader issue caused by deliberate F.A. policy, namely, the fast-track promotion of younger, "whiz-kid" referees who have accumulated very little experience during their rapid rise through the ranks. The blunders of Attewell and Jones (the one who didn't know how to deal with a beach ball on the pitch) have been well-publicised. Yesterday saw another example of a young referee not having developed sufficient skills to handle such a situation. Could you imagine Webb or Wiley succumbing to Lambert's pressure?

Louise
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:14 am

Perfect summary of the situation, Ped.
Its all down to the Ref and he is the only one to blame for yesterdays debacle.
I dont want weak lily livered Refs in charge of any game - god help him and any Team he refs if he makes it to the Premiership where he really will understand the meaning of the word 'pressure'.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Louise wrote:Perfect summary of the situation, Ped.
Its all down to the Ref and he is the only one to blame for yesterdays debacle.
I dont want weak lily livered Refs in charge of any game - god help him and any Team he refs if he makes it to the Premiership where he really will understand the meaning of the word 'pressure'.

Exactly! Can you imagine that ref under the watchdul gaze of a Wenger or Ferguson??? He'd be awarding games to Arsenal or Man Utd because their gaffers told him to.

fastestmouse

Re: Norwich City (H) League 1 Tuesday 12/1/10 Re- Arranged

Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:25 pm

If we don't want weak willed lilley livered refs then we shouldn't be harshly criticise those who make a decision (whether that be right or wrong) and stick to it. I personaly think Howard Webb is a good example of that type of referee. He makes his decisions quickly and sticks to his guns.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:14 pm

Walsall P-P Norwich

Lambert to have it called of saying its "too cold" and the pitch will start to freeze, when the real reason is hes got Hoolahan and Holt both out injured.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:24 pm

I hope this is postponed one hour before kick off.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Norwich City (H) League 1 Tuesday Re Arranged. 12/1/10

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:10 am

Looking at the long range forecast it is already unlikely that the match will be played next tuesday anyway. Temperatures are to remain below zero for the forseeable future so when we will play again is anyone's guess. Week on Saturday, maybe?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Norwich City (H) League 1 Tuesday Re Arranged. 12/1/10

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 am

BathSaddler wrote:Looking at the long range forecast it is already unlikely that the match will be played next tuesday anyway. Temperatures are to remain below zero for the forseeable future so when we will play again is anyone's guess. Week on Saturday, maybe?

Havent they got a game then?

Next
Return to 2009-10 Season