Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Norwich City (H) League 1 Tuesday Re-Re-Arranged. 26/1/10

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Norwich City (H) League 1 Tuesday Re-Re-Arranged. 26/1/10

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
moanin old git wrote:We really are in deep do do's now, even though none of us expected any other result tonight, it's still a bit gauling
after being 1-0 up for so long, but it just goes to show that we really are relegation fodder at present. :(

To be fair, it does not sound though we have played like relegation fodder. Were doing OK till Ince cocked up

Losing to the runaway league leaders, scoreline only 1-2, still 12th in the table. Don't see a problem at the moment.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 pm

To be honest I expected an heavy defeat tonight , hoping to hear we turned in a decent performance .

We need a result at Gilingham on Saturday,

Now just 5 points from the drop zone
Last edited by Duke on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwiftlySaddler

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:43 pm

5 points off the drop

Uh oh!
Last edited by SwiftlySaddler on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Duke wrote:To be honest I expected an heavy defeat tonight , hoping to hear we turned in a decent performance .

Anything like the last dull performance vs Gillingham would lead to worries for me. We CANNOT afford another performance vs Gillingham like the one at home earlier.

Eli_B

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Exile wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:On the bright side, we never expected anything.

On the not bright side, what does Nicholls have to do to get a game?

Evening, just got up?

Back from a client meeting. Logged in at 1.0, saw 1-1, got on here at 1-2. :(

After doing a bit of shopping at Merry Hill. After logging on it was 1-0 then the Naarwich (Norwich) comeback :( CH & O'Connor ha certianly have got a task of getting this current squad to avoid a relegation battle, which is the last thing that the club needs. Playing Alex Nicholls in the first team, instead of warming the bench would be a start!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 pm

moanin old git wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
moanin old git wrote:We really are in deep do do's now, even though none of us expected any other result tonight, it's still a bit gauling
after being 1-0 up for so long, but it just goes to show that we really are relegation fodder at present. :(

To be fair, it does not sound though we have played like relegation fodder. Were doing OK till Ince cocked up

Maybe, but I've just looked at the fixtures list...........where oh where are we going to pick up points for survival?
cus come the end of February, we WILL be bottom four. :(

Agree it looks a difficult run but then gets easier. It is where we finish in May that matters.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:50 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
Duke wrote:To be honest I expected an heavy defeat tonight , hoping to hear we turned in a decent performance .

Anything like the last dull performance vs Gillingham would lead to worries for me. We CANNOT afford another performance vs Gillingham like the one at home earlier.

Next home game Charlton , followed by back back games against Bristol Rovers .
Then two away games at Oldham and Leeds

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:06 pm

Well well. Norwich are the biggest set of cocktwangers ive ever seen, plus the jammiest performance ive ever seen. I am gutted.

We were superb in spells tonight, first to everything for 70 mins.

Ince looked at fault for first goal to me not sure what the hell happened for the 2nd. :? But it looked jammy as f****. Ince looked solid as the old days in the first, but he still flaps more than a flag in the wind.

We should of had a penalty. Ref bottled it. Blind twerp.

I thought Vincent and Richards played brilliantly, and Till was good. If jones was playing though we would of been so much better, with a decent wide player we could be a very good side.

Why did he not bring Parkin(or even Nicholls) on earlier? Byfield was pretty crap, Deeney was brilliant. Still no Nicholls....the game was crying out for him.

They were there for the taking, they didnt turn up. Why cant we play like that everyweek?

Seeing as Norwich brought a load there support was utter drivel, bunch of farming inbred dickwads.
Last edited by latviancheese on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:07 pm

moanin old git wrote:
Duke wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:

Next home game Charlton , followed by back back games against Bristol Rovers .
Then two away games at Oldham and Leeds

From those games? One point possibly at Oldham? otherwise I can see us being THE club that drops like a stone into
the zone. :(

I'm hoping for something in the Rovers home game and at Oldham

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:11 pm

"Promotion Contenders"

Not a bad performance, but rather toothless.

Richards had one of his better games.

Till and Bradley were once again the poorest players on the field.

McDonald looked a better player than Hughes.

Should have had a penalty in the second half when everyone in the ground except the ref saw a handball when Till tried to cross.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:12 pm

latviancheese wrote:We were superb in spells tonight, first to everything for 70 mins.

Which game were you watching? Norwich had something like 20 corners in the match, they ran rings round us, most of the time.

Yes, we had spells of more possession, but if it wasn't for an individual error leading to Deeney rounding the keeper then it would have been a convincing win for Norwich, and Walsall would have had no complaints.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:15 pm

philthesaddler wrote:"Promotion Contenders"

Not a bad performance, but rather toothless.

Richards had one of his better games.

Till and Bradley were once again the poorest players on the field.

McDonald looked a better player than Hughes.

Should have had a penalty in the second half when everyone in the ground except the ref saw a handball when Till tried to cross.

Mcdonald was superb because they kept twerp it on his head.

I think Bradley was good with Mattis in first half, but when o Keefe came on he did his dissapearing act again. I actually thought Till was good tonight :?

Ran rings round us? they passed it side to side for 70 mins and did bugger all. They were shocking for a top of the table team. And their defence was their for the taking.
Toothless is the right word though.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Just got back, we was brill tonight except for the last 20 mins.

Ince- Good first half, dont know what happened for the goals so i cant comment.
Weston- Solid, didnt do anythin wrong.
Smith- See Weston.
MacDonald- Solid, had there number 32 in his pocket all game. Much better than Hughes.
Vincent- Much better than Sansara, enough said.'
Till- Not too bad, needs to get down the wing abit more often but puts in a good ball.
Bradley-Put in 2 good tackles, thats it.
Mattis- Quiet, but was solid.
Richards- His best game for us, tracked back well, played some good balls, tackled often enough.
Byfield- His usual. Dont expect nothin different. Could of got a goal he played well.
Deeney- See Byfield, took his goal very well.

If a Norwich fan brags, he obviously didnt go. If he did he would of seen the better side lose.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:36 pm

sack Ince

Hutchings is too negative

Percie
Glitterati

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 pm

saddlerken wrote:sack Ince

I'll second that. Clayton Ince has cost us too many games this season. RETIRE!

Get Gilmartin in!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 pm

If that joke who sits in the lower floors to go that was consistantly shouting about how bad richards was is on here, I would like to take this opportunity to tell you what a complete moron you are. Richards was brilliant tonight. MOTM for me. You obviously have no footballing brain and you should be sterolized.

As for the game, we were unlucky to lose.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Percie wrote:
saddlerken wrote:sack Ince

I'll second that. Clayton Ince has cost us too many games this season. RETIRE!

Get Gilmartin in!

100% AGREE!

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:33 pm

Getting increasingly frustrated with Hutchings' team selections and he is terrible at making subs at the right time and making subs full stop!

The team-
Ince- Commanded area well first half, mistake led to 1st goal!!!

Weston- Solid
Macdonald- great first half, won key headers, looks better than hughes
Smith- Made crucial tackles but didn't have much to do
Vincent- A class above sansara!

Till- ghosts in and out of games- looks to take on players but failed to do so too often.....played well overall
Mattis- battled but wasnt too invovled
Bradley- Doesnt get invovled enough in games, looks a yard too slow....what has happened to the bradley under DD?
Richards- why on earth is he on the wing!!! centre midfield at best! he has quality and should play along side mattis! played very well but he is clearly not a left winger!

Deeney- worked hard, took goal well, other than that didnt do much
Byfield- should have done better with his late chance!

Subs
Gilmartin- should be given another chance after ince's mistake
O'Keefe- Looks out of his depth imo...maybe needs more games to impress but doesnt look a good prospect
Taundry- Cant remember the last time he played, maybe should be given a chance instead of bradley
Parkin- Only put on to win headers because all we do is hoof the ball up towards the strikers!
Nicholls- what has this guy got to do to get a kick!!! play him on the wing for god sake! he offers more than richards and till!
Sansara- benchwarmer at best
Westlake- good prospect and good backup

Hutchings- Give him till end of the season to turn things around!

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:46 pm

scott_powell wrote:If that joke who sits in the lower floors to go that was consistantly shouting about how bad richards was is on here, I would like to take this opportunity to tell you what a complete moron you are. Richards was brilliant tonight. MOTM for me. You obviously have no footballing brain and you should be sterolized.

Is he on the back row behind the goal. Cause if thats the case then i had the unfortunate pleasure of being by him at the huddersfield. I have to agree he is a mong.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Really enjoyed the match tonight. Thought the team and the crowd were well up for it.

Dead unlucky to come away the losers. The game hinged on a hand-ball decision that the ref and linesman chose not to see. 2-0 with about half an hour to go, I coldn't have seen them getting back into it.

As others have said, Hutch's mid-game management is often curious and tonight was no exception. If the excellent Mattis had to go off it was definately a night for the combative Taundry rather than O'Keefe who looked off the pace. And the Nicholls situation is obviously personal.

Norwich did what we have done in a lot of our promotion campaigns. A difficult midweek trip on a dodgy pitch when you're not playing great but you manage to somehow eek out three points. Fair play to em (except Paul lambert who is still a rooster).

An enjoyable game, good atmosphere but disappointing result.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Thought we were very unlucky not to get at least a point tonight. For the first 10 minutes I thought they were going to overwhelm us, but, other than their huge corner count, I thought the game started to even itself out with neither team looking particularly dangerous. Troy capitalised on a defensive mistake and we seemed to grow hugely in confidence - I even thought we bossed the 2nd half! Yes they had a lot of corners, but seriously, they did nothing from open play.

I couldn't see what happened for their equaliser, but it seems from here that Ince is to blame(?). I agree with others that Richards was everywhere tonight and put in a busy performance. I also thought Till had one of his best games, beating his man on numerous occasions. Deeney and Byfield combined well I thought.

A bit unlucky, but this really does crank up the importance of Saturday's game now.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:56 pm

stonesaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:If that joke who sits in the lower floors to go that was consistantly shouting about how bad richards was is on here, I would like to take this opportunity to tell you what a complete moron you are. Richards was brilliant tonight. MOTM for me. You obviously have no footballing brain and you should be sterolized.

Is he on the back row behind the goal. Cause if thats the case then i had the unfortunate pleasure of being by him at the huddersfield. I have to agree he is a mong.

Yeah pretty much, he sounds like a women with a deep voice

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:02 am

We did alright I thought. The fact of the matter is, you get what you pay for in League One, and Hoolahan's left foot was the difference. We don't have a single player in our squad who could have picked out a ball like that for their winning goal.

Second goal aside, I thought we defended well as a unit. We pressed them as much as possible and made an effort to keep the ball on the floor as much as possible. I actually think Smith tends to play better against the better sides, and McDonald looks consistently solid.
I thought Richards had one of his best games in a Walsall shirt - it's just a shame he can do no right with some people for whatever reason. No, he hasn't got much pace and no, he's not a winger so don't expect him to tear down the wing, skinning full-backs for fun.

Our front two worked well together again. Byfield should have done better with his chance in the dying seconds however it just wasn't to be.

Ultimately, we were undone through midfield once again. For a young midfielder with international honours to his name, I can't believe how slow Bradley can be at times. He is second to almost every loose ball. I also find it strange that O'Keefe continually sits behind him in the pecking order despite Hutchings' tendency to throw him on to do a particular job - last week it was to support the front two, this week it was to sit in front of the back four. To me, that shows that Hutchings sees O'Keefe as being technically better than Bradley but yet he still won't play him from the start. Very odd.

Yes, the result was disappointing but no, it's not time to press the panic button.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:03 am

I probably have no right to comment but gilmartin needs to be given more than a chance. He needs a prolonged run in the team now. However his hater's would have rather easy picking with the tough games upcoming. He seems to need some confidence and perhaps this would be hard with the potential drubbing's we may face. If he goes into the team i would like to see him in the team for the rest of the season. Only problem i see is that the people calling for him to play will be the same people calling for his head after a month.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:16 am

I thought we played quite well really against a surprisingly fragile-looking Norwich, but they just about had the quality that we didn't have in certain areas. They did quite a lot of attacking, but at 1-0 we could easily have had a penalty (ball-to-hand maybe, but they've been given numerous times) and it was an Ince howler for their equaliser. Until then they hadn't looked like scoring so maybe we'd have hung on if not for that. Even at 2-1 Byfield had a glorious chance to level towards the end.

If we play like that against most teams we'll do OK. The problem is that we DON'T play like that against most teams.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:18 am

We didn't deserve to lose that. Played well and controlled for most of the game but in typical Walsall fashion we threw it away.
In my opinion Hutch is to blame. His subs are useless. Fair enough bringing Parkin on, but you need someone to cover the wing if you take a winger off! If you don't you end up going down the middle which doesn't work!
Also, I thought the game was screaming for Nicholls to come on and run at them with a bit of pace and try and put the game beyond Norwich. However, Hutch didn't see this and we paid the price.

Ince- I thought he was fantastic. Came for everything confidently. Ok, he was at fault for the equaliser, but still a good performance from him.
Weston- Solid.
Smith- Good performance from him.
MacDonald- Superb. My MOTM. In the way every time and won almost everything in the air.
Vincent- His experienced showed. Solid performance
Till- I thought he played quite well. Shouldn't have been taken off. Our most creative player of the night.
Bradley- He was playing?
Mattis- Had a good game I think. We fell apart after he was subbed.
Richards- Good game from him.
Byfield- Poor. His form has gone. Bullied out of the game by the CB's.
Deeney- Gave everything as per usual and took his goal well.

Parkin: No time to do anything
O'Keefe: Didn't realy do anything when he came on

mel58
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:32 am

As good a display as I've seen from us this season. I'm disappointed that, given the possession and opportunities we had, especially in the first half, we didn't score more than one goal. Another illustration that you get what you pay for: they had the players to make the most of their opportunities.

Richards was my man of the match and Till had his best game - by a mile - tonight. McDonald was massive, in all senses, and fitted in well on his return. I'm not a fan of Vincent but he was creative and assured tonight.

People have said Norwich didn't play well tonight but that was due to our performance. In the first half we, very effectively, pressurised them from the back to the front, and played a passing game on the deck, something we haven't often managed this season.

Their first goal came after Ince made a hash of catching a ball crossed into the box but I thought their second was a good finish.

If we can continue tonight's standard of performance throughout the rest of the season we'll have nothing to worry about.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:38 am

We stopped them from playing. When we got tired it opened up a bit for them.

I said at the time the penalty decision wasgonna cost us.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:05 am

My first game for a while, I think Southampton was my last one, due to all the postponements over Christmas. I really enjoyed it, was a good game of football, and surprisingly there was a fair bit of singing by the Walsall Fans tonight, got behind the team more than I have heard them for some time. Over 5,000 too.

We were very unlucky to lose the game, although from the moment they equalised, I feared the winner would come shortly after. I don't see every game now, so my comments can't be held with to much weight, but it is the best performance I have seen from Till and Richards. We had a bit of a laugh at half time about a moment in the first half, where Till actually beat a defender and got a cross over, but no one bothered getting in the box, and were already getting back in to defensive positions because they never expected the ball to come over :lol:

Mattis seemed to be having a fairly solid game, so I assume he was injured when he went off ? Not many games go by without him making at least one lunging tackle, he took the ball with tonight's effort, so can't really complain. There were just a few glimpses tonight of the Bradley we saw a few years ago. His general play didn't really stand out, but on a couple of occasions he made late runs beyond the strikers and found him self in space, his execution left a little to be desired, and maybe it is clutching at straws with him now, but it is the first time I have seen him do it for some time, rather than letting the game pass him by in safe mode.

Not much come off for Byfield tonight, but if you just watch how he runs the line, he is sheer class. Never going to be the top goalscorer in the league, but his running off the ball makes openings for sure. I wouldn't like to think where we would be without him to be honest.

Was a blatant penalty, I was right in line with it, smacked the defender right on the palm of the hand, some may say it would be harsh, but his arm was out, and it hit it full on. The ref said it hit his chest, it clearly didn't, and it was obviously a massive point in the game.

Disappointing result, but an enjoyable evening ,even if it was freezing cold!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:55 am

A testament to how well we played was that I was actually gutted at the final whistle that we had lost this one. Before the game though I was expecting a drubbing so I guess this shows for most part of the game how ell we did play. To be frank however, I thought that the use of subs was key. We lost by a country mile again on this count - Lambert can claim bragging rights on this as the changes he made undone us and for the last 20 minutes or so we were on the backfoot.

For those that lay this loss as Claytons mistake, yes a howler, but as Norwich had the lions share of corners (fourteen?) at least a dozen were claimed by the big fella or punched away and out of danger in a what was almost flawless handling display.... I would tend ask more questions on why we under so much pressure in the first place and why couldnt we get the ball to stickup front........ finally why cant we have a plan B, Lambert obviously did!!!!

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season