Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v Burton Albion 08/12/2009

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Reserves v Burton Albion 08/12/2009

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi all,

Anyone watch the reserves this afternoon? Player report would be much appreciated if you did. :mrgreen:

Thanks

Zippy
Glitterati

Re: Reserves v Burton Albion 08/12/2009

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:49 pm

Walsall Reserves 1 1 Burton Albion
(played at Bescot Stadium)

Walsall (4-2-2)
Rene Gilmartin

Darryl Westlake
Dan Partridge
Clayton McDonald (Capt.)
Jamie Vincent

Peter Till
Richard Taundry (76 min. Sean Geddes)
Josh O'Keefe
Sam Adkins

Alex Nicholls (54 min. Jamie Paterson)
Sam Parkin (56 min. Will Grigg)

Unused substitutes:-
Alex Hickman
Louis Keenan

Manager:- Martin O'Connor

Goal Log:-
55th minute - 1-0 - Fine deep left-wing cross from Adkins headed home by Parkin
87th minute - 1-1 - Jimmy Phillips seizes on loose ball in Saddlers' penalty-area to slam home a late equaliser.

Sinners' list:-
29th minute - McDonald cautioned for unsporting behaviour - a foul on Serge Makofo - (correct decision, imo)
45+1 minute - Makofo cautioned for unsporting behaviour - simulation of being fouled by McDonald (in our penalty-area) - (poor decision, imo. It should have been a penalty to Burton)

Comments:-
One of the most one-sided 1-1 draws that I have ever seen. Walsall totally outplayed the Brewers but could not convert their clear superiority into goals. That said, the visitors' 'keeper, Danny Marsh was in brilliant form - easily their man-of-the-match. As the game drew to a conclusion, the visitors realised that they might snatch something from the game and did indeed grab a goal on a breakaway, three minutes from time.
We could have been 4 goals up in the first 10 minutes, Nicholls missing three (one a superb save by their 'keeper) and the easiest being missed by Parkin.

Gilmartin - not at fault for their goal - did what little he had to do, well, including a couple of good saves.
Defence - rarely troubled, but McDonald worries me. He looks really strong when going forward to attack the ball (and opponent!) but he has the turning circle of an oil-tanker when when confronted by a nippy, little player. Vincent was sound defensively but offered nothing to the attack.
Midfield - I'm still waiting to see what prompted Hutchings to sign Till; Taundry getting back to match fitness; O'Keefe was quiet and Adkins was busy.
Attack - as last week against the Tesco Bagladies, Nicholls was the outstanding player on the pitch. He just needs the breaks in front of goal. Parkin was his usual self. he works hard enough but that bit of quality just isn't there. Paterson looked skilful when he came on if a little lightweight, physically.

You could tell that Dave Bathurst wasn't there - a "joke" marquee scrolled across the score-board:-
Little girl's prayer:- "Dear God. Please send some clothes to those poor ladies on Daddy's computer".

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:26 pm

Cheers Pedagogue! Excellent report as always.

Did Grigg offer anything when coming on. It seems that Patterson may be preferred over him now if he is coming on before him in Reserve games!!!

Not sure what has happened but he looked really good in pre-season and now it seems the management don't want to give him a chance?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:38 pm

fatboyslim wrote:Did Grigg offer anything when coming on? It seems that Patterson may be preferred over him now if he is coming on before him in Reserve games!!!

Not sure what has happened but he looked really good in pre-season and now it seems the management don't want to give him a chance?

Thanks. Grigg was only on for 34 minutes (+3 mins stoppage time) and he went close to scoring once and was generally involved in our attacking moves. I suppose that he is like most teenage players - they have their "highs and lows". Davies is out on loan at Moor Green, Geddes is on the bench for the Reserves, etc. It is a question of being patient with them.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:16 am

Many thanks for the report, Pedagogue.

Looking at our line up, I find it hard to accept the argument that Chris Hutchings has little to work with compared with others in Div 3. Maybe we do not pay out high salaries, but there appears to be decent cover there for most positions in the first team for which the Management team desreve credit.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:38 pm

What does Nicholls have to do to get a game, blatantly our best reserve player,scoring goals, setting goals up - outstanding player in the team, yet he cant get half an our over someone as inept, slow and laclustre as Richards. Open your eyes hutch!.

Return to 2009-10 Season