Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southampton (H) League 1 Saturday 5/12/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Bernie
UTS Legend

Re: Southampton (H) League 1 Saturday 5/12/09.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:07 pm

chestersaddler wrote:With respect to some of the comments regarding Richards and Sansara, I was reticent to criticise either on Tuesday as it was such a good team performance.

I did comment a number of times dueing the game at Yeovil regarding Sansara's clearances / distribution. It was as though he was wearing dice on his feet as a number of times he tried to sidefoot volley clearances which just spun off into the stand. Also, Yeovil's goal and the majority of their attacking play came down our left.

In a team that includes Rhys Weston I do not see how anyone can have a go at Sansara's distribution. It is not great, but at least he has some idea where the ball will end up some of the time. The posts blaming Sansara for the goals are absolute nonsense. He was part of a defence that was found lacking so he cannot escape criticism, but there were others who deserve a lot more blame for each of the goals.

chestersaddler wrote:From what I have seen of Richards, he is lightweight in his defensive duties and I cannot remember him winning a 50:50. I do, however, think he is a good crosser of the ball (again based on the times I have seen him).

Richards simply lacks the class to be a league footballer. He is in the game a lot, and does more running than anyone else, so that is probably why he is selected - but his end product is dreadful.

chestersaddler wrote:A number of comments again regarding Hutchings use of substitutes. I am baffled by his reluctance to change things either for tactical reasons (our own or to combat the opposition's) or for fresh legs.
It is as if Hutchings decides on his substitutes before the game. He has he ever shown any ability to read the match and change things round? Is he stubborn in sticking to Plan A whatever happens - or is he just unable to read a game? Hutchings seems to be very inflexible with team selection also. I don't want to go back to the Merson days of an average of five team changes every match, but once you are in Hutchings's starting eleven it seems very hard to get out of it

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:10 pm

Bernie wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:A number of comments again regarding Hutchings use of substitutes. I am baffled by his reluctance to change things either for tactical reasons (our own or to combat the opposition's) or for fresh legs.
It is as if Hutchings decides on his substitutes before the game. He has he ever shown any ability to read the match and change things round? Is he stubborn in sticking to Plan A whatever happens - or is he just unable to read a game?

This is what worries me also - we've not done badly at all this season but we haven't got a squad big enough to amble to 60/70 or 80 minutes at full tilt every game without using substitutions. I don't know what Nicholls has to do to get into the team.

Disagree about your left side comment though, Bern. Think that once Soton spotted how weak we were that side - they went for the throat.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Sansara Richards Weston Deeney Bradley all complete toss yesterday, even Smith had a bad came, I cant hep but thnk Clayton should of stopped there second theres no way he should of let that slip underneath him, Jones wasnt great but no one really gave him a decent ball to run on too, whats wrong with Westlake because all Weston does is get it and hoof it out the ground, why didnt Hutchings bring Nicholls on and take Deeney off, instead he brings Parkin on who to be fair had a go at them, I can take losing but I cant take he monor we lost yesterday we were completely awful and if Hutchings goes with that team at Milwall next week he wants sacking, Nicholls MUST start.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Dell-icious wrote:The new owner has said they will "spend money appropriate for the division we are in". So we are not spending stupid amounts ...

lol - can I point out that Rickie Lambert cost £1m. £1m appropriate for League 1, I don't think I can remember the last League 1 club to spend £1m on a player. Don't think Leeds have yet...

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:53 pm

Stu wrote:
Dell-icious wrote:The new owner has said they will "spend money appropriate for the division we are in". So we are not spending stupid amounts ...

lol - can I point out that Rickie Lambert cost £1m. £1m appropriate for League 1, I don't think I can remember the last League 1 club to spend £1m on a player. Don't think Leeds have yet...

I think Fulham were the first, when they bought Chris Coleman.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:54 pm

...and that shows why we will not finish in the play offs. Totally outclassed by a better team, there is absolutely no way we will finish in the top 6. That means finishing above Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Colchester, Huddersfield, Swindon, MK Dons, Millwall and Southampton...not likely is it?

I have been keen to give Hutchings time, but I was extremely angry and annoyed by the lack of substitutions yesterday, we were 3 - 1 down with 20 minutes left, and there should have been 2 more changes. I thought Parkin did well when he came on, should have came on earlier for me, Jaidi was winning everything in the air. What is the point of playing long ball football when they have that at the back? Pointless.

We are a long ball side, I am in no doubt as to that now. Our tactic appears to be, get the ball to the full backs and launch it down the channel. Rubbish football.

I have been thinking this for a while...what exactly does Dwayne Mattis do? Answers on a postcard please.

Netan Sansara was absolutely dreadful yesterday, rubbish positioning, and had blame in each of the goals. Not good enough, need a loan player in january for the left back slot methinks....or put Richards there who is quite possibly the worst left winger I have ever seen. If Alex Nicholls is a worse option on the left than Richards then I am a Stoat.

I went into the game expecting a good performance, bearing in mind our recent form - but left rather disappointed.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Bernie wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:With respect to some of the comments regarding Richards and Sansara, I was reticent to criticise either on Tuesday as it was such a good team performance.

I did comment a number of times dueing the game at Yeovil regarding Sansara's clearances / distribution. It was as though he was wearing dice on his feet as a number of times he tried to sidefoot volley clearances which just spun off into the stand. Also, Yeovil's goal and the majority of their attacking play came down our left.

In a team that includes Rhys Weston I do not see how anyone can have a go at Sansara's distribution. It is not great, but at least he has some idea where the ball will end up some of the time. The posts blaming Sansara for the goals are absolute nonsense. He was part of a defence that was found lacking so he cannot escape criticism, but there were others who deserve a lot more blame for each of the goals.

chestersaddler wrote:From what I have seen of Richards, he is lightweight in his defensive duties and I cannot remember him winning a 50:50. I do, however, think he is a good crosser of the ball (again based on the times I have seen him).

Richards simply lacks the class to be a league footballer. He is in the game a lot, and does more running than anyone else, so that is probably why he is selected - but his end product is dreadful.

It is as if Hutchings decides on his substitutes before the game. He has he ever shown any ability to read the match and change things round? Is he stubborn in sticking to Plan A whatever happens - or is he just unable to read a game? Hutchings seems to be very inflexible with team selection also. I don't want to go back to the Merson days of an average of five team changes every match, but once you are in Hutchings's starting eleven it seems very hard to get out of it

I do sometimes wonder, Bernie, which games you actually go to, because it can't be Walsall@. Sansara was to blame for all three goals yesterday. Simples.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Big Billy from Darlo gave a pretty good summary of the goals, so I have edited it to make it a bit easier to read. Sansara deserves a share of the blame, but other defenders were all involved in each of the goals.

bigbillyofdarlo wrote:How can you blame him for all three goals?

The first goal was a long ball played in the gap which Hughes was to slow to get to, being outpaced by an aging Connolly.

The second was after Sansara had headed the ball from defence out to Byfield, who in turn lost possession then the ball went back down the right wing where Sansara was covering the oncoming midfielder whom Richards did not pick up allowing the winger James into the box, then the deflection to the shot of Connolly which our other defenders stood and watched Hammond follow up.

The third was a bit of hesitant defending by Sansara, but when Connolly went through he was clearly offside but the linesperson was behind play and allowed play to continue.

Yes he may of been out of position on a few occasions but that is because he was covering as centre back when the Saints counter attacked with three players or more. How you can lay the blame at one young player’s feet is beyond me.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Bernie wrote:Big Billy from Darlo gave a pretty good summary of the goals, so I have edited it to make it a bit easier to read. Sansara deserves a share of the blame, but other defenders were all involved in each of the goals.

bigbillyofdarlo wrote:How can you blame him for all three goals?

The first goal was a long ball played in the gap which Hughes was to slow to get to, being outpaced by an aging Connolly.

The second was after Sansara had headed the ball from defence out to Byfield, who in turn lost possession then the ball went back down the right wing where Sansara was covering the oncoming midfielder whom Richards did not pick up allowing the winger James into the box, then the deflection to the shot of Connolly which our other defenders stood and watched Hammond follow up.

The third was a bit of hesitant defending by Sansara, but when Connolly went through he was clearly offside but the linesperson was behind play and allowed play to continue.

Yes he may of been out of position on a few occasions but that is because he was covering as centre back when the Saints counter attacked with three players or more. How you can lay the blame at one young player’s feet is beyond me.

My 'top tip' for the pair of you would be to try and look beyond where the football itself is at any one time.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Bernie wrote:

I was not having a go at Sansara, Bernie, just making an observation from what I saw on Tuesday and then read from posters who were at the game yesterday. I try to refrain from slagging off individual players unless I think they are not putting the effort in.
Last edited by Exile on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: quote tidied up

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:59 pm

poor defending cost us , I went to Yeovil and you would never think it was the same 11 , after the first goal the game seem to pass us by.

oh well always Millwall away ...

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:43 pm

How can anyone say the 3rd was offside, it was at completely the opposite end to us lot and none of our lot appealed for offside.

First, the finger has to be pointed at Sansara and Hughes... Neither dealt with the situation.

Second, nobody has looked at Weston's involvement in this. Let's remember, 30 seconds prior to them scoring, we had the ball with Weston. Under no pressure, he thumped one of his many wasted 50 yard upfield punts, it wasn't put into the channels, but straight to Jahidi who won everything yesterday. He brought it down, immediately put it down to their right flank and they scored. We should have dealt with the situation better down our left, yes, but by no means, if Weston had used the ball sensibly we wouldn't have put ourselves in that situation. You also have to ask why their bloke was completely unmarked at our back stick, where were Smith and Weston?

Third, defence parted like the red sea yet somehow Lambert had time to slip, regain his footing and slip it in. Where were either of the centre halves and to be honest, Ince seemed like his feet were glued to the line. Lambert's slip should have given either one of our centre halves or Ince the chance to close him and put him under pressure, yet Ince was glued to his line and our centre halves were too busy scratching their arses.

Sansara had a poor game, yes, but he had no support in front of him as Richards continually gets dragged infield.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:47 pm

Stu wrote:Sansara had a poor game, yes, but he had no support in front of him as Richards continually gets dragged infield.

That's exactly what I said at half time yesterday but people were blaming Sansara. Sansara was no good but he had absolutely no help from Wendy who was constantly infield.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:28 pm

tinned wrote:
Stu wrote:Sansara had a poor game, yes, but he had no support in front of him as Richards continually gets dragged infield.

That's exactly what I said at half time yesterday but people were blaming Sansara. Sansara was no good but he had absolutely no help from Wendy who was constantly infield.

Agree Agree Agree. And add to that that Sansara faced one of the best wingers in the league I will not accept he had a poor game. He was taought a lesson that he will hopefully benefit from in the long term.

The fact that Lallana was in the side and Richards showed nothing to help out at the back speaks volumes. We became very unorganised after the first 30 mins, which was pretty even until that point.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:30 am

Having not gone to saturday's match I can't comment in any detail on individual's performances but with regards to Sansara and Richards as a left side combination I think they have a lot to learn, both individually and collectively.

Although Richards has been about a while, I still don't understand his role within the team and I think he seems a little vague about it himself sometimes. Sansara is still relatively inexperienced and he appears to lack confidence, as opposed to Westlake, who fitted in from Day One. Sansara often appears too eager to get forward and tuck in, almost like a third centre back on occasions. Against Exeter, Yeovil and, especially, Oldham he was caught out of position on more than one occasion. Hutchings and O'Connor were constantly on his case in the second half of the latter game.

I'm disappointed, but not suprised, that we lost to Southampton. The win at Yeovil was good to watch and well-deserved; great application in awful conditions, but, as much as I enjoyed it, it didn't convince me that we were a team who had reached a new standard of performance that could be maintained for the rest of the season.
It showed me that we can play well when we are given time and are not under too much pressure but I don't think it announced any sort of breakthrough to a new level of achievement, unlike the much-lauded away performance we gave at Doncaster a couple of seasons ago, where we outplayed a team that went on to be promoted.

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season