Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (A) F A Cup 2nd Round Satutday 28/11/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Brentford (A) F A Cup 2nd Round Satutday 28/11/09.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:29 pm

scott_powell wrote:We'm gerrin hammered

Arrr, I shudder everytime they get anywhere near our box. Midfield seem to be non-existant, Ince is flapping. Not good.

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Looks like a 3rd round place is unlikely. WM/Kearnsy said we were terrible....

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:34 pm

Mek an effin substitution for gawds sake :evil:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38 pm

tinned wrote:Mek an effin substitution for gawds sake :evil:

Parkin on Dazza off.

Second thoughts doh bother :roll:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Parkin on for Byfield?!?!

What does Nicholls have to do to get on during a game - he bags two in the reserves against the bag ladies, gets great reviews and I'm sure he'd scare the Brentford defence with his pace more than Parkin will do. :?

Seems a bit of a half hearted effort from Hutchings for me. Hopefully I'm proved wrong!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:47 pm

We need a goal and at least the chance of a replay, or I fear it's bye bye Manny in january. :( :x

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:52 pm

last time i waste my time and money on following walsall away from home, not even so much as an effort on goal. We huff and puff but have no end product away from home, this is why those getting all excited about 4 games unbeaten are so stupid, we are rubbish away from home. We cant keep the ball and we create no chances.

We are going nowhere until we get some quality.

[post moderated - language]

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:59 pm

philthesaddler wrote:last time i waste my time and money on following walsall away from home, not even so much as an effort on goal. We huff and puff but have no end product away from home,this is why those getting all excited about 4 games unbeaten are so stupid,we are sh!t away from home. We cant keep the ball and we create no chances.

And people like you are so stupid. We lose one game you have a silly rant.

oh but i doo agree with you we do lack quality

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:00 pm

Hutchings is a complete waster

Does he understand cup football - you can lose 1-0 or 10-0, end result is your still out. absolute plank. Never screamed at a radio as much. Baffling

last 20 minutes he should be changing things trying to get a goal, but he just does nothing, eventually brings on parkin for Byfield. His tactics and subs are a joke. Then after the 90 Weston goes off injured - surley chuck nicholls on to try and keep us in the cup, nope he brings on westlake. Roll on The draw tomorrow - Brentford v Chelsea. What a wasted opportunity

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:03 pm

saddlerJP wrote:Hutchings is a complete waster

Does he understand cup football - you can lose 1-0 or 10-0, end result is your still out. absolute plank. Never screamed at a radio as much. Baffling

last 20 minutes he should be changing things trying to get a goal, but he just does nothing, eventually brings on parkin for Byfield. His tactics and subs are a joke. Then after the 90 Weston goes off injured - surley chuck nicholls on to try and keep us in the cup, nope he brings on westlake. Roll on The draw tomorrow - Brentford v Chelsea. What a wasted opportunity

I agree very bad from Hutch today

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:11 pm

saddlerJP wrote:Hutchings is a complete waster

Is he ? is that why we are 9th in the league and two points off the play off's ?

Does he understand cup football ?

I guess so the rules are quite simple really

Byfield could be injured you don't know, he was complaning of an ankle injury during the week how do you know it wasnt that ? I agree with you that nicholls should have been put on but that's it. i can understand that you are angry but no need to blame Hutchings

Blame Bonser instead :mrgreen:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:16 pm

scott_powell wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:last time i waste my time and money on following walsall away from home, not even so much as an effort on goal. We huff and puff but have no end product away from home,this is why those getting all excited about 4 games unbeaten are so stupid,we are sh!t away from home. We cant keep the ball and we create no chances.

And people like you are so stupid. We lose one game you have a silly rant.

oh but i doo agree with you we do lack quality

Were you there today? Cos i was. We were not good. We barely had an attempt on goal. I dont mind paying money to watch a team that genuinely try to score goals a win games, but away from home we dont. We could have been playing cardboard cutouts today and we still wouldnt have won.

And ill just point out i wasnt one of those who got carried away by our results, i pointed out that we'd played very poor sides, and a non league side. I was the one saying we aint going anywhere.

Weston was once again crap, so was richards, mattis for some reason replaced okeefe despite okeefe playing well on tuesday, bradley was back to his old self and byfield and deeney didnt have a shot or chance between them...what a strike force!

[post moderated]

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:19 pm

He has not influenced a game with a substitution since he's been at the club (Wycombe doesn't count, they were all forced).

If something hasn't worked for 70 minutes, he seems to thinks let's give it another 20.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Agree with what Phil and others have been saying on here, and as I put about 45 mins ago.

The substitutions, or lack there of, just said to me that Hutchings wasn't bothered by losing in the cup. You're out if you lose 1-0 so may as well give it a go. Astounded Nicholls wasn't thrown on at all, and even Parkin deserves longer than 12 minutes to try and make an impact. I can understand Mattis coming back into the team, but Bradley was having a wack game again, O'keefe, after a good showing against Oldham, should have been given some time on the pitch.

Such a shame as it sounds we went out without too much of a wimper.

Again, as I said earlier, missing out on a great chance to get to the third round and the chance of some revenue surely means that Manny if not someone else will been sold in January, and probably for less than we should get for them. :?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Think a few people are being abit hastey here, ok we've lost a game against Brentford, our record down there is rubbish, i cant remember the last time we won there, now we can just focus on the league and get back to winning ways against Southampton, me personally i want to fcus on the league anyway.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:13 pm

Quite frankly we were very poor today and we made Brentford look good. The first half needn't have happened as far as we were concerned. Long balls to Deeney's or Byfield's head and straight back again into our half. No attempts at goal what so ever except for a Bradley effort which just rolled along the ground. Their goal should never have happened... their guy was first to the ball in the box, a simple header towards the bottom corner of the net; Jones was there to clear it, but didn't. I don't think we had one decent move in all of the first half. I was hoping that O'Connor and Hutchings would throw a few tea cups around at half time. If they did, they missed. Out we came, and in contrast to the Wycombe game (where we were similarly poor)we didn't get at them straight away. There was some modest effort after a while but Brentford closed us down well. We also missed chances (so did they) particularly Jones and Deeney. The game was there for the taking....but not by us on today's performance.

cumonureds

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:32 pm

A team like Walsall doesnt need to concentrate on the leugue even if we had a chance of getting into the playoffs which I dont think we have this season, we lack quality and the standerd of the leugue is high. If we had of won or even drew today it would of given us an extra game or two, what differance would have that made. There would of been some excitment amoungst the team and fans and a bit of extra money comeing in, but yet again we lack quality and hutchings cant make a substitution so what have we got a leugue to cncentrate on where we will end the season mid table.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:41 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Think a few people are being abit hastey here, ok we've lost a game against Brentford, our record down there is rubbish, i cant remember the last time we won there, now we can just focus on the league and get back to winning ways against Southampton, me personally i want to fcus on the league anyway.

Why would you want to focus on the league? The league isn't going to get us out of this god damn awful financial mess that Bonser has landed us in and we're not going to get promoted. I just hope that Brentford don't get a plum tie tomorrow or I'll be pig sick.

Agree with what everyone has already said. We didn't turn up first half and second half, although there was an improvemement, Brentford looked just as likely to score as we did.

Couple of very odd incidents in the second half that I couldn't fathom at all. First was when we were in possession attacking down the left, but the ref blew up so their centre half could have treatment, then on the restart we kicked the ball back to Brentford!! WTF!! It really highlighted to me that they didn't seem bothered whether they won or not today.

Second was our second substitution. Why would we bother to bring on a sub in injury time of a game we are losing? It just seemed completely barking to me. When you've only got seconds left to play, just get on with it FFS!!

For what it's worth the Parkin substitution was correct as he created a different option we hadn't had all game.

The terrace at Brentford has got to be one of the worst places in the country to watch a football match, it is truly awful.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Getting very worried regarding Hutchings and substitutions.

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Just back . Very disappointing .

First half we just werent in it and were lucky to go in just one down . Brentford played at a good tempo and we just werent up to it . I thought our defence looked shaky under pressure and with the movement of their front men.

Only mid way through the second half did we get in to it , and to be fair the last 20 mins was a cracking good cup tie , but we were much too late to get it going . Amazing a goal didnt go in one way or the other towards the finish as it was end to end , Deeney , Jones and Parkin all had close range efforts , but Brentford still looking dangerous .

Parkin made a diference when he came on for Byfield ( who had an off day ) , as we needed some physical presence up front today ; neither Byfield or Deeney had got much change from their defence . Midfield only really imposed themselves from mid way in the 2nd half , although personally i thought both the middle two battled quite well .

What a basic goal to go out the fa cup with ... corner , unchallenged header , goal .

I dont think anyone had a good game today , we were too often 2nd best in too many areas of the pitch . Was it me or did Manny Smith struggle today ? Couldnt really pick a MOM ...it was one of those days .

Decent away following but a mega disappointing day

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Same old, same old.

I hope they get lincoln away or some crap!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Heartbroken. :(

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Just has I started to think Hutchings had turned a corner he once again proves when it comes to changing a game he is clueless. Why wait so long to make a change in a cup game? When you're a goal down you've nothing to lose. For a while now I've ben saying the difference between a good manager and an average one is how they react to the opposition and their tactics. Well both managers have had chance to see how the other plays last week and who seemed to have learned the most?

We've had a good run against some very ordinary teams. Unfortunately I think the next few weeks will show us just how far we are from play off material.

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:24 pm

Im glad,We can concentrate on the league now.

:twisted:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:40 pm

How disappointing was that... It took me 2 hours to get there for a 21 mile drive,which meant I missed out on a pre-match pint. Off to a bad start. Unfortunately it didn't get better for quite a while.

The first 45 minutes was atrocious at best and a better team would have been out of sight. We were scary from defensive corners, the giant centre half was completely unmarked and had a 6 yard run at his header for the goal. He could have had a hat-trick from corners, with two bad misses in the 2nd half. They had another corner cleared off the line in the 2nd half. I think we had one shot from distance in the first half and offered absolutely nothing. We were outplayed and to be honest, utter garbage.

The first 20 minutes of the 2nd half was mediocre. They had their two corners that the giant put wide and straight at Ince.

We eventually realised we were playing a competitive match after about 65 minutes and for the last 25, we were the better side, we played with a real high tempo and urgency, something that was missing for the first 65 minutes. However, for all of that, there was only one gilt edged chance and that fell to Parkin, who bottled it. Free at the back post, a slight angle, he had the far post gaping and instead of drilling it there, he put it at the ideal height for the keeper at his near post and he saved comfortably. Deeney had a decent chance that was blocked out wide, otherwise that was it.

Every time we got into a decent position, we either wanted one touch too many or delivered a dudd ball.

Ince - His failure to command the box on corners was worrying. He didn't have a bad game, but he could have removed a lot of danger by coming for corners as he used to. He spent them rooted to his line.

Weston - Distribution was awful, didn't offer much on the overlap.
Sansara - Alright game, kept Bostock quiet so they switched him wings. Didn't offer much going forward though.
Hughes - As captain and leader, he should be taking charge and organising. He doesn't. Nice on the ball, that is it.
Smith - Best of the defenders, but I think it was his man that scored the goal and had the beating of him on each corner.

Richards - Nothing but a Matt Lucas lookalike. Don't see what he offers. Should have been replaced by Nicholls and put Jones on the left.
Jones - Anonymous first half, 2nd half better but always wanted one touch too many or 3 seconds too long. Got into some really good opportunities but then messed them up.
Mattis - Booked and deservedly so, he was late with 2/3 tackles early on and the booking calmed him down. Felt it was harsh to drop O'Keefe and Mattis didn't show much more.
Bradley - Best player for me. Energy, tempo, drive and tried to make things happen, but was a one man central midfield.

Deeney - Huff and puff, never really felt he was going to create something or score.
Byfield - Nice touches but drifted. Evidently frustrated with his team-mates decisions at times and not surprised he was subbed.

Parkin - Won a couple of headers, but missed our only gilt edged chance, sort of chance I'd have put money on Byfield putting away.

You'd never have thought we knew there was a 3rd round spot at stake here. Very disappointing.

I'd rather have lost 3-0 and had a go, than 1-0 and gone out with a wimper. We only really looked dangerous when getting around the back, but that isn't possible on the left as Matt Lucas doesn't have pace or ability to beat a man. Was crying out for Nicholls on the right flank and Jones on the left and getting wide quickly. Unfortunately management didn't see that or didn't agree with that and we went out with a wimper.

aaaae
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Stu wrote:You'd never have thought we knew there was a 3rd round spot at stake here. Very disappointing.

That's another thing I can't get my head around. You'd think that the opportunity to play at Old Trafford, The Emirates, St James Park, Anfield, Villa Park etc was something that came round for these guys every week, not (posssibly) a once in a lifetime opportunity. They just didn't seem to give a toss.

aaaae
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:07 pm

moanin old git wrote:My mate at work had us on a seven team accumulator to win (fool).....all of his other predictions came good..lost him about £800 quid, says he's gonna 'get me' on Monday! :(

I had a one team "accumulator" that would have won me £22.50....I should have known better :oops: :cry: :)

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:19 pm

didnt go, but doesnt make sense to me that he didnt make some changes - leaving Nicholls on the bench and replacing RB with RB.
not complaining that he brought Pa on, but surely should have been aswell as Byfield, or if Byf was injured, whack Nicholls And Pa on with Deeney
as above, might aswell lose 2:0 as 1:0

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:10 am

Both Byfield & Deeney were muscled out of the game - I suppose Byfield was marginally more ineffective, so could not really complain about being subbed.
The game could/should have been saved after Parkin came on - contrary to what others say, I thought he added something to the attack, and was a worthwhile punt.
Pity that Jones also had an off-day - first, letting the ball squeeze past him when he was supposed to be defending the post for their goal ( although, to be fair, he did clear a later effort off the line ), and, second, letting their defenders also muscle him out of three possible scoring positions.
In the end, another feeble cup exit was down to attitude and application - Brentford as a team wanted to win more than Walsall.
[ An honourable mention for a fantastic tackle by Richards (!!!) in his own penalty area in the 2nd half ]

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:21 am

Im starting to find the cups a chore. Ive lost count of our feeble weak exits

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season