Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (A) F A Cup 2nd Round Satutday 28/11/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Re: Brentford (A) F A Cup 2nd Round Satutday 28/11/09.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:02 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Getting very worried regarding Hutchings and substitutions.

Yep the substitutions cost us the game today. We should have left Byfield on, put Parkin on for Mattis with him playing behind Denney & Byfield, Nicholls on for Weston and had a real go at them.

I would have rather us lose 3-0 and having a go than go out like we did with a 1-0 wimper.

Bringing Westlake in for Weston was a diabolical decision, it was crying out for Nicholls. What was Hutch thinking; goal difference matters in the FA Cup or something. Shocking substitutions & no plan B.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:22 am

I didn't go to last week's match so can't compare our two performances from direct experience but the overall domination Brentford had yesterday - apart from the last 15 minutes or so when we came into the game much more - suggests they learned more about us from the league encounter than we did from them.

I was hoping we'd carry on from where we left off against Oldham and prolong interest in our season through a cup run. I'm disappointed that we didn't seem up for it.

I can't understand Mattis being brought back after O'Keefe performed so well on tuesday, especially in the light of Hutchings recent remarks along the lines of 'If you get in the team and play well you keep the shirt'.

Neither Deeney or Byfield received any kind of service and we didn't use Jones to best effect. For me, he plays best when given a less rigid role than yesterday, when, as others have mentioned, he seemed to be parked out on the wing too much.

I just don't know how the ball ended up in the net for their goal, given we had two players on the left post as the corner was taken.

In hindsight, Parkin should have come on earlier as he barely had time to get into the rhythm of the game.
Last edited by mel58 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:56 am

In what will probably be yet another season of mediocrity the cup would have been a real boost to fans.Pity Hutch and the players did not see it that way.

Yet another first half no show.I really question the motivational and tactical skills of our supremo!If I were JB i'd give him a real roasting over this one.

Very very disappointing to say the least!

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:05 am

m&m wrote:In what will probably be yet another season of mediocrity the cup would have been a real boost to fans.Pity Hutch and the players did not see it that way.

Yet another first half no show.I really question the motivational and tactical skills of our supremo!If I were JB i'd give him a real roasting over this one.
Very very disappointing to say the least!

He won't though as he is delivering Jeff the desired mid table mediocrity & with the cup exit, another excuse to sell Manny Smith come January (if he needed another excuse).

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:27 am

Was in Cardiff yesterday for the Rugby so I didn't follow the match.

Very disappointed when I found out the result. I have been very optimistic the last few weeks and expected at least a draw.

Still looking forward to going on Tuesday.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:10 pm

very dissapointing again we miss out on the 3rd round ,

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:37 pm

I don't go for the theory they were up for it and we weren't.
They were just better than us, they shouldn't have been but after the first couple of minutes and the last 10 when we went to a 2/8 formation they were the better side.
I put it down to my last 3 away cup games when we have been knocked out by teams playing in red and white stripes.
Sheffeild Utd.
Stoke
Brentford.
Each game with a whimper.
Maybe thats the reason, red and white stripes are our bogey fa cup opponents

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:16 pm

moanin old git wrote:Great to see Ropes playing his socks off for Kettering, I had forgotten how many goals he used to score for us like that.

You must have a bloody memory, I bet he scored less than 10 goals in his 350-odd appearances or whatever it was, lol.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:09 am

Stu wrote:
moanin old git wrote:Great to see Ropes playing his socks off for Kettering, I had forgotten how many goals he used to score for us like that.

You must have a bloody memory, I bet he scored less than 10 goals in his 350-odd appearances or whatever it was, lol.

but he is an OIL TANKER BOARDED BY PIRATES.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:49 am

Stu wrote:

You must have a bloody good memory, I bet he scored less than 10 goals in his 350-odd appearances or whatever it was, lol.

8 goals in 340 appearances (+ 39 further appearances as substitute) for Walsall.
3 goals in 23 appearances (+ 1 further appearance as substitute) for Luton Town.
1 goal in 21 appearances for Kettering Town.

Total of 12 goals in 424 senior games.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Graydon48 wrote:I don't go for the theory they were up for it and we weren't.

Neither do I, it all comes down to quality. Against the likes of Stockport and Oldham, we're just about good enough to roll them over. Against any team with a modocom of quality, we struggle big time. Whatsmore, the manager can't or wont use the substitutions to his advantage - I've never seen him have a positive affect on a game with subs. The Wycombe game I dont really count because he shouldnt have started with Till, so the sub was just a like for like swap.

At half time on Saturday we were 1-0 down, nothing to lose. We hadnt looked like coming close to scoring, so I'd have done one of two things:

- Try and win the midfield battle by going 5 across the middle - we had O'Keefe on the bench, we know Bradley can play in the hole, or even Jones in the hole and Nicholls on the right. That way, we'd have got on the ball more, kept it more, and with Byfield upfront had someone with the pace and ability to hold it up.

OR

- Brought Nicholls on for Richards, put him and Jones down the flanks and gone for it

What did Hutchings do? Nothing until the 80th minute.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:06 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:I don't go for the theory they were up for it and we weren't.

Neither do I, it all comes down to quality. Against the likes of Stockport and Oldham, we're just about good enough to roll them over. Against any team with a modocom of quality, we struggle big time. Whatsmore, the manager can't or wont use the substitutions to his advantage - I've never seen him have a positive affect on a game with subs. The Wycombe game I dont really count because he shouldnt have started with Till, so the sub was just a like for like swap.

At half time on Saturday we were 1-0 down, nothing to lose. We hadnt looked like coming close to scoring, so I'd have done one of two things:

- Try and win the midfield battle by going 5 across the middle - we had O'Keefe on the bench, we know Bradley can play in the hole, or even Jones in the hole and Nicholls on the right. That way, we'd have got on the ball more, kept it more, and with Byfield upfront had someone with the pace and ability to hold it up.

OR

- Brought Nicholls on for Richards, put him and Jones down the flanks and gone for it

What did Hutchings do? Nothing until the 80th minute.

Of course not, as that's what his notes say "replace Byfield with Parkin on 80 minutes"!

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:05 pm

A friend of mine works in a certain London hotel. He text me to say he saw the team stay there sat night. Not entirely sure why they are staying the night instead of making a 2 1/2 hour coach trip home?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:19 pm

yoda wrote:A friend of mine works in a certain London hotel. He text me to say he saw the team stay there sat night. Not entirely sure why they are staying the night instead of making a 2 1/2 hour coach trip home?

Budget can't be all that badly damaged then.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:06 pm

Thats what I found so startling. We've seen from the accounts moneys tight so why hang around Brentford a night when we're done there?

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:05 pm

moanin old git wrote:
Stu wrote:

I didn't expect a Spanish inquisition! I only said it was good to remember the goals he used to score for us.....was
it REALLY that few? seemed to remember a Ropes goal being a tad more regular than that........Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...our main weapon is surprise and a fanitical devotion to the Pope our TWO weapons are..... :lol:

T'was only in jest...

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season