Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Tuesday 24/11/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Tuesday 24/11/09.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:38 pm

Deeney, Byfield, O'Keefe, Bradley, Smith and Jones completely raped em

Weston still annoys me at times but played well

Sansara and Richards were much improved

Ince and Hughes were solid

Good performance against a dreadful side .... I'd just like to say its a good job Jones's foot wasnt planted when that tackle came in. Would of surely ended his career the dirty northern barstewards

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:41 pm

tinned wrote:2 - 0 to the Saddlers.

3,123 in attendance.

Evo to finally snap in anger of Tape's constant yga coke drinking anf force a pint of Fosters down his neck.

Only the one :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:54 pm

I must say that I enjoyed the game. None of our lot played badly and we tried to play football (as opposed to hoofball) throughout. Richards was probably our weakest player but, even in his case, it would be quite wrong to say that he had a bad game. The selection of O'Keefe was a surprise but he was neat and tidy on the ball and grew in confidence as the game wore on. He now offers us another option.

In defence, Ince had nothing to do until the last 10 minutes; Weston was solid in the tackle and his short passing was good. However, his medium and long passing is truly awful! Smith and Hughes were dominant; Sansara had a sound game and is also growing in confidence.

In midfield, Jones looked lively out wide but I wish that we could get the ball to him more often. Richards lacks any pace over the first few vital yards but the really interesting performances came from Bradley and O'Keefe. Both played very similar rôles in the centre of midfield making themselves available for short passes out of defence and balls laid back from the front players. It is a very limited job but one which they both did well. It was very pleasing to see us actually playing THROUGH midfield instead of over their heads. I hope that as Bradley's confidence continues to return and O'Keefe's develops that one or both of them will be encouraged to push on with late runs into opponents' penalty-areas, supporting ahead of the ball and increasing our attacking options.

Up front, Deeney battled away and took his goals well, particularly the second, while Byfield was my man-of-the-match. His selfless work constantly tormented the Oldham defence. He deserved a goal for his display.

It is interesting to compare our current and previous managers. Hutchings has made some dreadful mistakes in signings, team selection, substitution and tactics BUT it seems that he is now learning from his mistakes and this is reflected in improved performances. Jimmy Muddle, on the other hand, despite having a stronger squad, continued to repeat his mistakes, time after time after time.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:55 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Sounded like we hardly got out of second gear - well done lads :D

No we didnt, and thats one of our failings IMO. We dont have the ability of successful sides to step it up when we need to. We're good enough to beat sides like oldham and stockport, but when under pressure, we struggle.

You were right a 6 weeks or more ago but after a buildling of confidence over the past 5 games, It'll be interesting to see how we fair against Soton and Milwall in a couple of weeks.

How did O Keefe show anything interesting tonight?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Another three points, and convincing at that, by the sounds of things.

I accurately predicted the attendance [I said 3,100-ish], but it does not stop it being a shocking turnout. Only 2,960 Saddlers - and that with a ticket offer and us being on a good run and handily placed just outside the Play Offs.

It certainly will give JB the opportunity and excuse to sell one of our young guns for the first 100k that he gets a whiff of. Although his propensity to do this in the not to distant past has led to the disastrous fall in crowds in the first place.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:04 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Another three points, and convincing at that, by the sounds of things.

I accurately predicted the attendance [I said 3,100-ish], but it does not stop it being a shocking turnout. Only 2,960 Saddlers - and that with a ticket offer and us being on a good run and handily placed just outside the Play Offs.

It certainly will give JB the opportunity and excuse to sell one of our young guns for the first 100k that he gets a whiff of. Although his propensity to do this in the not to distant past has led to the disastrous fall in crowds in the first place.

Certainly proves there's no point in reducing the ticket prices.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:07 pm

BathSaddler wrote: Only 2,960 Saddlers - and that with a ticket offer and us being on a good run and handily placed just outside the Play Offs.

Pathetic. thats league 2 territory. The club needs to do something, anything as a sign of goodwill

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:08 pm

Maybe people should turn up

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Theres a reason people arent around when we're a few points off the play offs

matt3454

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Maybe have student prices for starters.

Every other ground i've been to lately have student prices, yet we don't.

WS1
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:15 pm

philthesaddler wrote:good performance against another mediocre side. Surprised by the way we struggled to break them down once they were down to ten men.

Deeney took his goals well and we push up the table. I think the real test will come against southampton, if we can get 3 points against them, then we're really be in the mix.

Nice to see okeefe starting, but i was a little perplexed, hutchings has only seen fit to use him as sub once in 4 months of football...so we all kind of thought he must be well below par. In he comes tonight and he looks quite comfortable, and certainly no worse than bradley, so one wonders why he wasnt given a chance earlier in the season?

Attendance was, as i predicted, awful. 3200

Read Chris Huthings comments why O'Keefe has not been selected before, in case you can't find them his comment was "O'Keefe is learning in reserve games how we want him to play in a midfield role in the first team, it takes time but he will get his chance in due time"

Hope this helps you out Phil. 8)

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:20 pm

WS1 wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:good performance against another mediocre side. Surprised by the way we struggled to break them down once they were down to ten men.

Deeney took his goals well and we push up the table. I think the real test will come against southampton, if we can get 3 points against them, then we're really be in the mix.

Nice to see okeefe starting, but i was a little perplexed, hutchings has only seen fit to use him as sub once in 4 months of football...so we all kind of thought he must be well below par. In he comes tonight and he looks quite comfortable, and certainly no worse than bradley, so one wonders why he wasnt given a chance earlier in the season?

Read Chris Huthings comments why O'Keefe has not been selected before, in case you can't find them his comment was "O'Keefe is learning in reserve games how we want him to play in a midfield role in the first team, it takes time but he will get his chance in due time"

Is he not the finished article then? What a waste of money!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Chomper wrote:
WS1 wrote:

Well not really, not if he has potential, he's only about 20 aint he? Still got time to learn.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:34 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Chomper wrote:
WS1 wrote:

Well not really, not if he has potential, he's only about 20 aint he? Still got time to learn.

If how he played tonight shows his potential I think we have a player on our hands

Macca
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:35 pm

A good performance from the lads tonight, even tho Oldham are a poor side all they seemed to want to do was kick our players and this wasn't helped by the ref letting them get away with it.

The sending off was one of the most blatent attempts of just stopping Jones no matter what and if jones hadn't pulled out im sure that would have broken his leg.

When we actually got the ball down on the floor in the second half(yes, i know we were playing against 10 men) we still tore them apart.

Players wise;

Ince - Had nothing to do at all.

Weston - Solid, distribution was poor as per.
Smith + Hughes - Solid
Sansara - Fantastic game i thought. Confidence is growing, think Vincent might have a fight on his hands for his place back.

Jones - Took his goal well and tormented both there left backs.
Bradley - Back to his best. His ball that set up Deeney's 2nd was simply brilliant.
O'Keefe - Confidence grew after a shakey start. Was confitable on the ball and broke up play well.
Richards - Probably our weakest player. Distribution poor.

Deeney - Took both goals brilliantly and worked hard as per.
Byfield - Worked hard, his little touches around the corner always kept the defenders guessing. A class above at this level.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:39 pm

Felt very very comfortable once they went down to 10 men, though I thought we might have had one or two more goals in the second half. Jones and Deeney took their goals well, especially the third. The foul for the sending off looked horrendous from the F2G middle, and seemed as clear a straight red as you'll see. It just seemed so unnecessary, taking Jones out on the half way line, in virtually the same place that Byfield was taken out a few weeks ago (Exeter?). I can't imagine what he was thinking, or the size of the bollocking he'll have had from the Oldham boss tonight. Jones was fortunate indeed to come out of it unscathed, but the sending off and our second goal a minute or two later put us totally in control. Small crowd, but more atmosphere tonight than plenty of other home games this season.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Great result - delighted by it, but very worried by the crowd.

Phil -- From what I hear, O'Keefe had a very poor attitude when he first arrived at the club, and wasn't up to scratch.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:08 am

Good team performace & comfortable victory.

Great to see Dancing Kev back in action in the Family Stand.

motty
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:43 am

philthesaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Sounded like we hardly got out of second gear - well done lads :D

No we didnt, and thats one of our failings IMO. We dont have the ability of successful sides to step it up when we need to. We're good enough to beat sides like oldham and stockport, but when under pressure, we struggle.

I agree, I mean building a successful side with a pittance of a wage budget, A paper thin squad filled with mainly youngsters without even 30 starts to there name, Should be a walk in the park and as for the recent form 5 wins 1 draw and 1 loss. I just cant understand how hutchings AKA (tactically inept clueless fool) is still in a job with the lack of ability that other "succesful sides have to step it up when they need to".

Lets remember who we are, And how much we spend in retrospect to the "successful sides" please phil. :wink: :D

and just so im not speculating about how much the other teams spent, Every team above us spent money in the transfer window dare i say it?..... yes FACT, Infact bristol rovers spent the least and didnt they spend 200k on darryl duffy? swindon being second from bottom with the signing of billy paynter for a six figure sum.

We are competing in a very difficult money spending league this year and showing great progress, Which i for one find as a breathe of fresh air.So lets not put a downer on a 3-0 win and lets celebrate instead!!

UTS

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:14 am

i went to the game tonight, i thought we didnt really have to outplay them as such as they were a poor side ,granted they had there man sent off for a reckless challenge but even before that oldham were poor.

01 Ince 6- coped with what was put at him which was little , had trouble coming out to sweep up balls
02 Weston 7- good display
03 Sansara -6- out of sorts
05 Hughes -6 adequate
06 Smith - 6 few shakey balls but ok
07 Jones -7 solid display as usual
12 Bradley -6 decent passing and one good tackle
15 O'Keefe 6 finding his feet
20 Richards 7 bit off key with the crossing at times but decent
10 Deeney 8 my star man although jones got man of the match, anything attacking came through him
27 Byfield -5 got tackled and out muscled by hazell and generally quiet and eventually subbed

, till 5 brought on late
parkin-5 again a late sub
nicholls5 barely touched the ball

Adj

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:01 am

adjisaddler wrote:i went to the game tonight, i thought we didnt really have to outplay them as such as they were a poor side ,granted they had there man sent off for a reckless challenge but even before that oldham were poor.

01 Ince 6- coped with what was put at him which was little , had trouble coming out to sweep up balls
05 Hughes -6 adequate
10 Deeney 8 my star man although jones got man of the match, anything attacking came through him
27 Byfield -5 got tackled and out muscled by hazell and generally quiet and eventually subbed

, till 5 brought on late

Adj

Can't agree with those, adj. To suggest that Richards has a better game than Byfield is just plain daft, kiddo.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:23 am

Nice to see O'Keefe get a start and to hear some good comments about his performance.

Great result last night .

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:58 am

WS1 wrote:

As a proud stayaway I wasn't at our excellent win last night so I didn't see O'Keefe first full debut unfortunately. Nevertheless I have heard that O'Keefe has been impressing the coaching staff at the club and was likely to be heavily involved over the Christmas period. It seems he has got his chance sooner and certainly taken it. Well done O'Keefe and the rest of the lads.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:10 am

King Crimson wrote:
adjisaddler wrote:i went to the game tonight, i thought we didnt really have to outplay them as such as they were a poor side ,granted they had there man sent off for a reckless challenge but even before that oldham were poor.

05 Hughes -6 adequate

, till 5 brought on late

Adj

Can't agree with those, adj. To suggest that Richards has a better game than Byfield is just plain daft, kiddo.

I'd have to disagree about Sansara there,I admit I was a bit sceptical when he first came into the side,but for me he had his best game in a Walsall shirt last night.Granted he's a bit raw,but he never looked like getting beaten by his man,he's slowly starting to win me over.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:20 am

05 Hughes -6 adequate

, till 5 brought on late

Adj

What does 'out of sorts' mean?

With regards to Sansara, i think he's growing as a player very qickly indeed now. I thought he was brilliant against Brentford on Saturday.

I would like to add, i wasn't at the game last night due to playing football myself (and putting in an appalling performance i might add!) so i cant really comment but i think Sansara is going to keep Vincent out.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Exile wrote:
SaddlerCraig wrote:
Exile wrote:
SaddlerCraig wrote:Deeneys far from on fire I'm afraid he is doing better but not good enough at the min compared to Byfield

Awful, isn't he? :D

Did I say he was?

Did you miss my smiley?

You did say he's not good enough at the moment though. If scoring two goals and assisting another tonight in a 3-0 home win isn't "good enough", I wonder what is?

yeah I did sorry bout that.
I thought his 1st looked lucky to go in and as I said his second was great thanks to bradleys set up.
my problem is he can't get round players so often he just runs into them or the wrong way. Fair enough to the lad getting those much needed goals.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:48 pm

My lad thought Sansara was brilliant last night,

When will Walsall fans learn Give the kids a chance they all can't be Scott Danns

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Duke wrote:My lad thought Sansara was brilliant last night,

When will Walsall fans learn Give the kids a chance they all can't be Scott Danns

Indeed. His tackling was excellent. His only problem was being caught out of position a couple of times, but that's what he's got to learn.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Sansara had the best game in a Walsall shirt last night, some of the other peoples comments claiming he didnt have the best game is just plain laughable, O'Keefe, Sansara & Bradley were all brilliant last night

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:30 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Sansara had the best game in a Walsall shirt last night, some of the other peoples comments claiming he didnt have the best game is just plain laughable, O'Keefe, Sansara & Bradley were all brilliant last night

Har - I'm no Sansara lover but he did play well albeit against a very limited team.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season