Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport County (H) League 1 Saturday 14/11/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Stockport County (H) League 1 Saturday 14/11/09.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Today was a pretty average match. We never realy got going. Cracking free kick from Richards, who was my motm. The best i've seen him perform for us.
Byfield was also a joy to watch as was Jones.
Apart from the first 10 minutes of the second half we were pretty average.
Deeney was woeful today and I think Nicholls should start up top next week.

Overall, comfortable win. UTS!

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:30 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Excellent result at Bescot, Leeds held 0-0 by Swindon and MKD blitzed 5-1 at The Valley - a good day I'd say.

It's being reported on the Saddlers Live site that possession today was 72%:28% in favour of Stockport. :shock: Can those who've been there confirm if this could possibly be correct? Also, any news on the attendance today? Thanks guys.

They didnt play, because leeds had some players away on international duty.

Good result today, good to keep a clean sheet too! UTS

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:33 pm

If they actually had 72% of the ball then I'm Charlie Chan from Afghanistan.

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Sort of routine win. Even though Stockport had a lot of possession, they didn't create that much in the first half. a few flurries in the second, but there was always a body in the way. Thought Richards was good and helped Sansara, who looked nervous. Lots of decent performances, although distribution from both full backs was poor.

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:You lot had the worst view, I was level with it, and he got the ball - wait til you see it on TV later :P

No, it was a clear foul. I even called a yellow card.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Percie wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:You lot had the worst view, I was level with it, and he got the ball - wait til you see it on TV later :P

No, it was a clear foul. I even called a yellow card.

Same here

Zippy
Glitterati

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:04 pm

I thought Weston and Sansara were both very poor today.

Can't understand why it took 3 minutes to announce Richards goal.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Zippy wrote:I thought Weston and Sansara were both very poor today.

I agree, but Weston has at least a solidity that makes him look like a defender. Sansara has the balance of a young Julian Bennett, but without the attacking threat or the defensive nous. He is not a footballer.

Thought we played within ourselves today, but some of our better players played well enough to get the job done. Mattis, Byfield and Ince did well for me. Whilst he didn't have many shots to stop, Ince did well to command his area, and put himself between attacker and the ball.

Good goal from Richards. Bradley looked much improved.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:35 pm

Job done and credit to the lads today. Glad to hear that Bradley seems to have had his best game for a while, hopefully he can get back to where he was a couple of years ago during the DD unbeaten run

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:55 pm

Very comfortable win today, we actually played some decent football in parts. Bradley was absolutely superb, thought the ref was very harsh on him all afternoon as everytime he made clear tackles the ref was quick to blow his whistle for some reason. Also Richards was probably the best he's been all season with an unbelievable free kick. Byfield once again showed why he is so important to us and why we need to get him until the end of the season at LEAST.
Every player showed a decent performance today appart from Weston and Sansara who were both awful all game. My motm would have easily been Bradley but I'd still accept Byfield.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:40 pm

What did I say? A great challenge by Bradley as shown on TV! :P :mrgreen:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:43 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:What did I say? A great challenge by Bradley as shown on TV! :P :mrgreen:

Still disagree
Great play from deeney for that second

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:59 pm

much better!

Have been critical of bradley at times this season but he had his best game so far today. He got stuck in and played some nice passes. (def a foul for a goal though). Sansara started poorly but improved. Nice free kick from richards.

Thought stockport were very poor, 3 points and 3 wins on the bounce, UTS

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:31 am

Well done Richards. First time this season he actually looked liked he deserved his place in the team.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:58 am

saddlerJP wrote:Sansara started poorly but improved.

I don't think he did. All that happened was that after 30 minutes he stopped trying to pass to anyone but sideways to Hughes along the floor and so couldn't lose us possession. Similarly, his second half free kick (from our own half towards their box) was awful, and so Hughes took the next one, which created a real chance.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:59 am

Think that yesterday was just a professional performance, did what had to be done and that was it. Stockport IMO will go down-were just there to kick us about but to be fair, did have some chances.

And how nice it was for Mark Bradley to make his first appearance in 18 months!! :wink: In all seriousness, that was a superb performance and superb foul, i mean assist for goal.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:21 am

Play offs for the saddlers this season :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:43 am

What pleased me the most was the performance of Mark Bradley , as last he been given a run in the side and showing what a good player he is .

overall a comfortable win without getting out of first gear .

We must get Byfields contract sorted asap

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:46 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:What did I say? A great challenge by Bradley as shown on TV! :P :mrgreen:

I take it you are joking... at the risk of a whoosh - take another look and tell me how he could have made the ball move that direction with the way he takled! Definate foul... but his overall performance was much better so glad he got away with it.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Thought the first half was incredibly boring, with Richards superb freekick the only highlight.

There was more action in the first 2 mins of the 2nd half than there was in the entire first half. Deeney was unlucky not to make it 2nil when Fon williams padded his shot on to the post.

Thought Richards performance was much improved from Stourbridge, maybe Stourbridge and the fans reaction there gave him a rocket up his arse.

Got to remember though guys Stockport looked a very, very poor side. They had absolutely nothing upfront and they look like theyre going down without a fight, so im not reading too much in to this performance.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:34 pm

It's ok - I think a lot of people are keeping this win in perspective.

We have a fair team - nowt more and nowt less. Like it was said earlier in the wick, we need to pick up a fair few points from here to Christmas.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:38 pm

We will look back at the result and be happy with the three points, but the first half we were very much outplayed. They were passing better and quicker and looked as if they were going to turn us over. Then we put away one of the best free kicks I have seen in years at (the) Bescot.

Second half we were much better (the team talk must have been a goood one) - doing what they had in the first half: first time, quick passing football that showed them for what they are - a poor side if you put them under pressure. Lovely goal from Byfield. I thought him, Deaney and Jones all had a good afternoon. Ince made a stunning save late on. Three points. That will do!

We still lack a solid, centre-of-the-park, midfielder to hold the ball and distribute it accurately. Because of this we are using the wings (and leaving ourselves open at the back right and left) and, far worse, launching long hopeful balls from keeper and defense towards our hard-working but not very tall forwards.

Not got to a lot of matches yet this season - enjoyed the afternoon very much. Crowd was very poor (4100 - looked a lot less). Those that did turn up at least saw two great goals.

Oh - and that Gary Ablett is a dour-looking fella isn't he! Makes Colin Leel look like a happy bunny.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:59 pm

scott_powell wrote:Now thats more like the old Bradley!! Even though it was a definate foul for our second goal :)
Well done Richards too. Chased everything he could. Glad he listened to the fans at stourbridge

Scoot who cares mate we won, how many times do decisions go against us they all even themselves out!
I gave Matt Richards some deserved stick last week but he played well yesterday just wish he didnt pass it back and dither on the ball on occasions a few moves broke down yesterday because of that. Great to see Mark Bradley back to somewhere near his best, long may it continue. Thought the save Incey made at the end was top draw.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:08 pm

cyclothymic wrote:We still lack a solid, centre-of-the-park, midfielder to hold the ball and distribute it accurately. Because of this we are using the wings (and leaving ourselves open at the back right and left) and, far worse, launching long hopeful balls from keeper and defense towards our hard-working but not very tall forwards..

I agree that we could possibly do with another centre midfielder, but isnt that what the left and right midfielders are there for? A month or so ago (when nicholls and richards were starting right & left; and werent doing much) people were complaining that we werent using the wings enough. We need to spread the play right across the field.

Anyway, we got the right result and sounds like an good-ish performance! Glad to hear Bradley and Richards have improved!

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:52 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:
cyclothymic wrote:We still lack a solid, centre-of-the-park, midfielder to hold the ball and distribute it accurately. Because of this we are using the wings (and leaving ourselves open at the back right and left) and, far worse, launching long hopeful balls from keeper and defense towards our hard-working but not very tall forwards..

I agree that we could possibly do with another centre midfielder, but isnt that what the left and right midfielders are there for? A month or so ago (when nicholls and richards were starting right & left; and werent doing much) people were complaining that we werent using the wings enough. We need to spread the play right across the field.

Anyway, we got the right result and sounds like an good-ish performance! Glad to hear Bradley and Richards have improved!

I didn't quite word it right did I :D I love us using the wings, but we seem to be found wanting at the back when we do at the minute. I agree that we need to spread the play right across the field - only by doing this do we become unpredictable to the opposition. i got the feeling yesterday that Stockport picked up that we were focussing on wing play and (tried to) focus their attack down the wing where our attacks left them a gap.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Glad to hear it was a good solid win. At so many times in recent history, we have dropped points in games which should be routine. We did enough to win, and by all accounts, never looked under serious pressure not to take the victory. Onwards and upwards, lets hope we can get some momentum going.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:15 pm

I thought we played well :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:39 pm

3 points as expected. well done the lads.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:49 pm

who's performance today lost me a £1300 win on Ladbrookes!

they did me as well, only short price I put in to my acca and the only team not to win. DOH

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:54 pm

moanin old git wrote:
saddlerJP wrote:
who's performance today lost me a £1300 win on Ladbrookes!

they did me as well, only short price I put in to my acca and the only team not to win. DOH

Glad I was not alone, what a shower Eh! Not lost at home and Exeter not won away, nearly as certain a home win
as us gettin trounced at Leeds an Huddersfield! :wink:

Would have thought that was reason enough to not bet on it... :?

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season