Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

F A Cup 1st round Stourbridge (A) Saturday 7/11/09. KO 1pm

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
adjisaddler
Glitterati

Re: F A Cup 1st round Stourbridge (A) Saturday 7/11/09. KO 1pm

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:33 pm

yep exact same thing happened to me

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Same old iraqis, Always switching channels

Are you bayern in disguise!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:34 pm

Up till then we were doing okay, but wasting chances.

Should have out another 3 away since half time to ge honest. Bradley playing well, as is Byfield and Jones (had two great shot chances but fluffed both!)

Weston and Sansara still just hoofing the ball into the channels aimlessly though! :?

Could do with a second as they have had the odd chance and could sneak one.

bigste

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:35 pm

It would'nt have happened if sadam H was still around.. aparently he was a big Stourbridge fan !!

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:36 pm

The pictures were actually from Albanian TV. No idea why it's switched, but most likely a mistake on justin.tv's part.

UTS Legend

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Yes, it switched to the Bayern game after about 60 minutes - then had the audacity to ask me to pay for it!

Pity. It's not often you get to see Walsall live here in HK...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:49 pm

We need to settle again. Theyre pouding our defenders heads at the mo.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:57 pm

...and breathe...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:57 pm

1-0 final score

asimpson
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Fair play to Stourbridge, gave us a very good game. All about the result though in games like this, Up the Saddlers!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Phew 8) :oops: :)

Stephen

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Extended highlights on ITV tonight at 10.50pm :mad:

Got the job done, can't say fairer than that.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:41 pm

well done stourbridge

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Had a laugh inadvertably met some people from here I think deffo 1 former member who wasnt a fan of sheff :D

Happy with the result think Stourbridge may feel robbed and we were poor but in the end it's all about the result and as we were singing " we've made it to the second round we've made it to the second round" :D

star players for me today was
Ince ( kept us in with few saves especially goal line 1)
Netan Sansara ( Good game needs a game or two more and he will be on fine form)
Steve Jones ( Not quite the worldbeating performance but he did very well and his goal was superb and his record improves some more)
Darren byfield ( Not his best games but did well was unlucky once or twice and although the 1 guy seemed surefire against it hit him in a offside position for a disallowed goal)

Have to say poor officials though not just for us but for them.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Hutchings is cluless, his tactics are shocking and his team selctions are baffling to say the least, what has Richards done so far this season to warrant a place in the team? he is also one of the biggest bottle jobs i have ever seen in a Walsall shirt

As for the game yes it is about the result but we should have put 4 or 5 past them, its a good job jones was playing else I seriously think we would be looking at a replay right now.

Diehard

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Richards performance was an absolute disgrace, as was his attitude to the Walsall fans. When, for the umpteenth time he bottled out of a challenge near the corner flag in the second half, he was subjected to a barrage of comments from the Walsall fans. As he jogged away he turned back and shouted 'F*** Off'. His actions prompted Byfield to give him a sound rebuke. Well done Darren!!!!!

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Richards wasn't that bad today his attitude as mentioned was questionable but i'd say he did better with his pace and crosses then previous games, im not a big fan but he gets alot of stick he's becoming the new parkin.
I think Hutch should of done some subs earlier maybe switched up the mid but he's not clueless i mean thats a bit harsh surely.

Bradley was prob the worst player today I think we should loan him to someone let him improve and come back

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Typical Walsall vs lower league opponent. Take it to their level instead of trying to let their ability shine on.

Job done however and a few disappointed daytripping pikeys. Happy days.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:51 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:Richards wasn't that bad today his attitude as mentioned was questionable but i'd say he did better with his pace and crosses then previous games, im not a big fan but he gets alot of stick he's becoming the new parkin.
I think Hutch should of done some subs earlier maybe switched up the mid but he's not clueless i mean thats a bit harsh surely.

Bradley was prob the worst player today I think we should loan him to someone let him improve and come back

I dont think its harsh in the slightest, last week in the second half he played Jones in the hole behind the front two and worked a treat, so this week were back to the usual the two central players holding, a left winger who makes my Nan look quick, not once today did I see one of our central players go beyond the strikers, we only ever get in behind teams when Jones beats a man or Byfield runs the channels! He should have played Nicholls from the start. I shouldnt be moaning when we have won but we beat Stourbridge and have struggled.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Really enjoyable day. I enjoyed this game far more than our league games, because of the romance of the cup, the banter of the fans, the old style ground.

We started quite poorly, struggling to get the ball down and pass it, but as soon as we did, we started creating chances. The early exchanges were quite dirty, the ref being quite lenient on the Stourbridge players. Byfield was brought down in the penalty area for what looked like a clear penalty, but the ref didnt think so.

Jones scored a great goal just before half time when he cut in from the right but Stourbridge should have equalised shortly after when they had a free header when Clayton failed to claim a corner.

2nd half we started very strongly and really should have put the game to bed. Byfield and Deeney both had really good chances with Jones at the centre of everything we did.

After wasting all of these chances, Hutchings should really have made some changes to try and keep the momentum going, but he didnt and Stourbridge started coming back in to the game and they put us under a lot of pressure in the last 20 minutes, special credit going to Manny Smith who threw himself to block a shot that looked destined for the net.

Smith and Hughes were comfortable all afternoon, but the difference between our left and right wings was massive. On the right we had the quality to attack and defend, but on the left we were weak with Sansara struggling and Matt Richards having a truly, truly atrocious game, he really should never wear a Walsall shirt again. On two occasions he simply gave up chasing two balls he could have easily got to. The fans got on to him and he turned round and mouthed something at the fans in that corner. When Hutchings took him off there was a massive cheer.

All in all, we got the result we needed, looking forward to the draw now, we just need to be more clinical upfront and a central midfielder to replace Bradley would help as he was poor again.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=972zyLIw7to[/youtube]

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Great pics and picked a good moment for the video.

i enjoyed it the performance was dissapointing but the cup romance made it seem so exciting.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:49 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:Richards wasn't that bad today his attitude as mentioned was questionable but i'd say he did better with his pace and crosses then previous games, im not a big fan but he gets alot of stick he's becoming the new parkin.

Bradley was prob the worst player today
I think we should loan him to someone let him improve and come back

I'd have to disagree, Bradders did quite well today. Got stuck in and made it difficult for Stourbridge. He wasn't fantastic, but it was a solid performance from him.

As for Matt "Wendy" Richards, he is crud. He doesn't go for anything unless he is 100% sure he's going to win it. He can't attack, he's slow, always goes backwards and his corners rarely beat the first man and if they do, usually end up in the keepers hands.

First half was scrappy but that was expected.

Second half our quality shone through abit more. Main criticism was being wasteful infront of goal. There was to much dilly dallying and not enough conviction in our attacking play.

Anyway, at the end of the day it's job done against a scrappy and determined Stourbridge side.

MOTM: Steve Jones

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:53 pm

Firstly Stourbridge should be proud of themselves

Secondly we were average

Thirdly richards and sansara are dreadful

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Some videos I took:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC-7ao7qfQs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqK19woNh90[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmTTiCTLN-w[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8gZ69KgXw[/youtube]

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:28 pm

OK firs half - poor second. Very well done to Stourbridge, I thought they made it difficult for us, and but for some more clinical finishing, they could have earned a replay. It was nice to get excited about a game for the first time in ages... I look forward to a 2nd round tie tomorrow.... there's a novelty.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:34 pm

scott_powell wrote:Firstly Stourbridge should be proud of themselves

Secondly we were average

And Deeney is worse than both of them

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:40 pm

They really could of earned themselves a replay and we were lucky not to give them one.

Deeney wasn't dreadful but he was below par for sure today. I think bradley was improved but he wasn't improved enough for me today Wryley.

I think he gave a few great passes that deeny and byfield didnt seem to try for which was unfair on him so he wasn't all bad in my eyes he just could be better.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Secondly we were average

Funny lad you are

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Deeney worse than Sansara and Richards?? Are you serious. We know Deeney isnt the most skillful player in the world but with decent service he will get goals and unlike Richards doesnt bottle tackles and has respect fort the people that pay money to watch him every week.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:48 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Secondly we were average

Funny lad you are

He's right.... he was very poor today. It was crying out for Nicholls - his pace (like Jones and Byfield) would have scared them to death... came on way too late.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season