Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

F A Cup 1st round Stourbridge (A) Saturday 7/11/09. KO 1pm

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: F A Cup 1st round Stourbridge (A) Saturday 7/11/09. KO 1pm

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Firstly Stourbridge should be proud of themselves

Secondly we were average

Thirdly richards and sansara are dreadful

And Deeney is worse than both of them

Funny lad you are

He's right.... he was very poor today. It was crying out for Nicholls - his pace (like Jones and Byfield) would have scared them to death... came on way too late.

Deeney actually gave a lot of service to byfield and jones today .... he won almost every header and slipped some really nice balls through ... but no i must of imagined it

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:13 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Secondly we were average

Funny lad you are

He's right.... he was very poor today. It was crying out for Nicholls - his pace (like Jones and Byfield) would have scared them to death... came on way too late.

Deeney actually gave a lot of service to byfield and jones today .... he won almost every header and slipped some really nice balls through ... but no i must of imagined it

Indeed you did... well done for admitting your mistake. :wink:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Enjoyed it, comfotable, I thought. Jones and Byfield should have had 2 or 3 each!!!! Good old fashioned cup tie! Think we should have kept Deeney on, took Bradley off and put nicholls on the wing, dropped Jones behind the front two.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:52 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Enjoyed it, comfotable, I thought. Jones and Byfield should have had 2 or 3 each!!!! Good old fashioned cup tie! Think we should have kept Deeney on, took Bradley off and put nicholls on the wing, dropped Jones behind the front two.

Looking forward to seeing you on MOTD later ;-)

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Enjoyed it, comfotable, I thought. Jones and Byfield should have had 2 or 3 each!!!! Good old fashioned cup tie! Think we should have kept Deeney on, took Bradley off and put nicholls on the wing, dropped Jones behind the front two.

Check out the model poses for the corners!!!!

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:22 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:

You will miss it if you watch MOTD, they only got the Premiership!!! Try ITV Whitti!!!
That fame from Midlands Today looks to have gone to your head :wink: :D

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:31 pm

A very enjoyable day out, the football seemed to take second place to the event. I loved the uniqueness of the ground, the pork bap, reading the programme and mixing with not only the Stourbridge fans but also the friendly and down to earth Stourbridge officials before the game. Isn't it a pity that all games cannot be like this. I realise that the league structure doesn't allow such experiences anymore and accept that the match day experience can never be like the early 70's when I first started watching Walsall.

The actual game, a rather casual performance by Walsall although dominant for long periods lacked the killer touch with numerous chances falling to Byfield, Jones and Deeney only to be scorned by a combination of weak finishing or over ambitious and elaborate moves. I quite enjoyed watching Stourbridges simple but effective tactics, quick one twos, balls played rather optimistically down the the wings and shooting on sight regardless of position and sometimes ignoring players in better positions. The agricultural Slater, a rather tough looking character certainly didn't mess about when it came to challenges and I suppose at his level it is very effective. The referee appeared to dismiss these tactics with an exaggerated wave often appearing forgiving to their players as if there was some sort of handicap system operating although Reece Weston did his usual tough guy idiotic act the first time one of their players was late on the ball and it was no surprise to see him booked after a couple of rather clumsy and spiteful tackles in revenge for their audacity of the Stourbridge left winger attempting to win the ball.

I thought we should have had a penalty early on when the dangerous Byfield skipped past three players only to be scythed down in the area. Jones obviously thought he was playing against inferior opposition and he showed on numerous occasions the ease at which he could beat any player infront of him both with skill and speed off the mark until he got a little bored in the second half and just hung around waiting for someone to give him the ball however, he still was the most outstanding player for me in the match. I thought Hughes was both calm and controlling but tends to get caught out on the odd occasion when he ventures forward, he was booked for dragging back one of their players during the second half when we had committed too many players forward in a particularily dominant 10 min period.

The last 15 minutes were a little nervous, I was spared the detail due to my position on the touch line, a few shots, a save by Clayton and a penalty appeal added to the tension but eventually the final whistle went and we were through for the first time in years.

Roll on the draw for the second round, it's just like the olden days, a few pints after the game with some Stourbridge mates, a bag of scatchings and highlights on TV after a few glasses of wine, bliss :D

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:39 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Secondly we were average

Funny lad you are

Actually I agree with you Scotty, Deeney won most of the balls played in the air including the useless punts forward from Westons cultured punting foot. Ok he could have done better in front of goal but at least he was in the right place.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:

Check out the model poses for the corners!!!!

Model for what?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Cully wrote:A very enjoyable day out, the football seemed to take second place to the event. I loved the uniqueness of the ground, the pork bap, reading the programme and mixing with not only the Stourbridge fans but also the friendly and down to earth Stourbridge officials before the game. Isn't it a pity that all games cannot be like this. I realise that the league structure doesn't allow such experiences anymore and accept that the match day experience can never be like the early 70's when I first started watching Walsall.

Agree with that, I stood there thinking today how much I missed the old grounds like that, the banter of the crowd that you only get when it's standing, the atmosphere, the closeness to the pitch.

Most of all though, I really enjoyed it because it felt like the game meant something, which since the Money promotion season, and since Jeff Bonser sold Dann and Fox...has really been missing.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:57 pm

A really enjoyable day out.Good atmosphere and the right result even though we were made to sweat for the last 15 mins.Really we should have taken our chances better and should have won comfortably.

Just a few observations;

1.Why only 490 tickets for that terrace behing the goal.It could easily have held another 500 comfortably.It really is health and safety gone mad!

2.Why doesn't our manager see what we all see.The game was crying out for Nicholls much earlier on.hutchings worries me alot!

3.The attitude of Richards stinks.He refuses to chase down balls I could get --especially infront of his own fans and then mouths obsenities at the people who pay his wages when he gets some well deserved stick.Idiot!

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:01 pm

sorry forgot one;

4.Thier left winger -number 11 was far better than Richards.Don;t know his name but would be worth a look at imo.Caused problems all game.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Always good to break the first round hoodoo.

Well done the lads.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:17 am

Exile wrote:Always good to break the first round hoodoo.

Well done the lads.

Hear, hear.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:10 am

Well done to the ref seeing the two pen incidents on telly, especially the second one. I thought it was handball, but on close look it did infact twonk him in the face. Would of been the easy thing to do to give a penalty.

Ive only got the highlights to judge on, and the radio commentary but it seemed like even when they dominated they still only troubled us once or twice.

Nicholls was very unlucky. Jones goals was superb, it doesnt matter what level your playing at.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 am

SaddlerCraig wrote:Deeney wasn't dreadful but he was below par for sure today.

Met Troy's Dad on the train back to Brum (top bloke by the way) and he said he would be talking to Troy because "his head was somewhere else".

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:09 pm

very proffesional performance is how the press discribes the victory , that will do me glad the game is over and done with .
cracking finish from Jones

well done lads

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:20 pm

Duke wrote:very proffesional performance is how the press discribes the victory , that will do me glad the game is over and done with .

I agree. We were in control for most of the game and I agree with chayseys use of the word comfortable. Stourbridge had their moments but I can't say I was ever nervous like I have been many times watching us in cup ties like this.

Some good solid performances from players who didnt take the game lightly. Once again I was very impressed with Byfield. This is the kind of game in the past he wouldn't have been interested in but he seems to be taking his responsibiliy of being senior striker very well. Sign him up, but only on a 12 month contract so he hasn't got the security to not continue like he is.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Duke wrote:very proffesional performance is how the press discribes the victory , that will do me glad the game is over and done with .

I agree. We were in control for most of the game and I agree with chayseys use of the word comfortable. Stourbridge had their moments but I can't say I was ever nervous like I have been many times watching us in cup ties like this.

Some good solid performances from players who didnt take the game lightly. Once again I was very impressed with Byfield. This is the kind of game in the past he wouldn't have been interested in but he seems to be taking his responsibiliy of being senior striker very well. Sign him up, but only on a 12 month contract so he hasn't got the security to not continue like he is.

Pretty much agree with all that. Stourbridge gave us a couple of scary moments... but I thought we we in control throughout.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:44 pm

I also forgot to say how odd, but good it was to see Mark Kinsella standing with Walsall fans yesterday.

Also agree with m&m about the health and safety rubbish. That decent stand could have held 1000 Walsall fans easily. So fans who didn't get tickets have missed out and Stourbridge have lost out financially.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I also forgot to say how odd, but good it was to see Mark Kinsella standing with Walsall fans yesterday.

Also agree with m&m about the health and safety rubbish. That decent stand could have held 1000 Walsall fans easily. So fans who didn't get tickets have missed out and Stourbridge have lost out financially.

Do you think he is an ST holder and queued for tickets? Good to see him there.... and Walsall manager one day?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:I also forgot to say how odd, but good it was to see Mark Kinsella standing with Walsall fans yesterday.

Do you think he is an ST holder and queued for tickets? Good to see him there.... and Walsall manager one day?

Next one I reckon. And I'm sure he's a season ticket holder and queued!

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:38 pm

We never really got out of first gear, apart from Deeney who played to his best ability, Troy you've found your level in Stourbridge.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Banksy wrote:Deeney worse than Sansara and Richards?? Are you serious. We know Deeney isnt the most skillful player in the world but with decent service he will get goals and unlike Richards doesnt bottle tackles and has respect fort the people that pay money to watch him every week.

It's an opinion, my opinion. I have nothing against him as a man, he obviously tries his best. I think he believes the hype that he is actually a footballer, when in reality he has no idea about being a center forward. He should watch Byfield and see his movement off the ball. Deeney's is none existant. I could run around chasing balls all afternoon, and genuinely care about the result, doesn't mean I would be good enough. Deeney isn't good enough, in my opinion that is.

Of course he isn't one of the boo boys like Richards.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:03 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:We never really got out of first gear, apart from Deeney who played to his best ability, Troy you've found your level in Stourbridge.

Tosh.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Banksy wrote:Deeney worse than Sansara and Richards?? Are you serious. We know Deeney isnt the most skillful player in the world but with decent service he will get goals and unlike Richards doesnt bottle tackles and has respect fort the people that pay money to watch him every week.

It's an opinion, my opinion. I have nothing against him as a man, he obviously tries his best. I think he believes the hype that he is actually a footballer, when in reality he has no idea about being a center forward. He should watch Byfield and see his movement off the ball. Deeney's is none existant. I could run around chasing balls all afternoon, and genuinely care about the result, doesn't mean I would be good enough. Deeney isn't good enough, in my opinion that is.

I respect your opinion even though i think its a load of testicles

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:48 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

So Deeney's movement is good? Could've fooled me.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

So Deeney's movement is good? Could've fooled me.

The reason Deeney isnt one of the boo boys is becasue he tries, Richards was booed yesterday because he is a complete bottle job, i respect your opinion blazing infact you are one of the most amusing posters on here but Deeney is one of our better players all be it in a very average team.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:12 pm

There's no doubt he tries. I'd never get down on Deeney's workrate.

But compared to Byfield his movement is childlike.

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:27 pm

I was told by one of the senior stewrds that if there had been crush barriers then more would have been allowed in the stand behind the goal, health and saftey was the problem but then he told me 240 in the stand and 100 either side of the stand and 50 down the side of the touch line, but if it's raining all 490 in the stand !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's health and saftey for ya :?

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season