Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe Wanderers (A) League 1 Saturday 31/10/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
coventriansaddler
Glitterati

Re: Wycombe Wanderers (A) League 1 Saturday 31/10/09.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:29 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
coventriansaddler wrote:It is very funny reading pages 2 and 3 of this thread. A real lesson in passing judgment after the final whistle. Roll on next Saturday when we will doubtless stroll into the hat for the 2nd round of the cup!!!

Not sure of your point Coventry.

The comments regarding the midfield were justified. had we finished with the starting four we would have been hammered.

and ofcourse chester I was talking soley about the midfield comments! Read the pages and you will get the jist.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:33 pm

If I can be a bit sad and answer my own question, by my reckoning that's the first time we've turned round a two goal deficit since we beat Huddersfield 4-3 with a Matt Fryatt hat-trick and one from Paul Merson (what ever happened to him?) in January 2005. Don't ask me the last time we achieved the same feat away from home. We probably need Bernie for that!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:Is it a comeback, Tone?

Good result, but no more than you'd expect. The players and the manager deserve great credit for the comeback, but we shouldn't have ever been in that position. We HAVE to start playing for the full 90 minutes. I too jizzed and went on a David Pleat-esque jig around my flat when Nicholl's scored.

Me too. I think the lass underneath is wondering what is gooin on!

Woof, woof!!

SWS1

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:38 pm

Team choice and first half - Hutchings total Wally. :evil:
Second half and substitutions - Hutchings testical genius! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:39 pm

coventriansaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
coventriansaddler wrote:It is very funny reading pages 2 and 3 of this thread. A real lesson in passing judgment after the final whistle. Roll on next Saturday when we will doubtless stroll into the hat for the 2nd round of the cup!!!

The comments regarding the midfield were justified. had we finished with the starting four we would have been hammered.

and ofcourse chester I was talking soley about the midfield comments! Read the pages and you will get the jist.

Have done again and to summarise (from start of match)

Posts providing feedback from the commentary / factual information
Couple of views about Ince / Gilmartin (hardly surprising given the first goal)
A few digs / comments towards Hutchings
A few expressions of disappointment
Some references to jizzum (or was that page 4)
A prediction of a 4-2 win

Considering we were 2-0 at half time it was not that bad :)

SWS1

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:40 pm

Cully wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:Is it a comeback, Tone?

Good result, but no more than you'd expect. The players and the manager deserve great credit for the comeback, but we shouldn't have ever been in that position. We HAVE to start playing for the full 90 minutes. I too jizzed and went on a David Pleat-esque jig around my flat when Nicholl's scored.

Me too. I think the lass underneath is wondering what is gooin on!

Woof, woof!!

The lass underneath whom? :mrgreen:

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:42 pm

Great comeback today. At least it shows we do have some character in the side. Not sure when we last turned around a 2 goal defecit away from home. Closest I can remember is when we came back from 2 down to draw at Derby a few years ago when Zigor grabbed a last minute pen.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:13 pm

bangsection wrote:If I can be a bit sad and answer my own question, by my reckoning that's the first time we've turned round a two goal deficit since we beat Huddersfield 4-3 with a Matt Fryatt hat-trick and one from Paul Merson (what ever happened to him?) in January 2005. Don't ask me the last time we achieved the same feat away from home. We probably need Bernie for that!

That was one hell of a match, probably one of the best for sheer entertainment I ever watched. Great goals, great comeback, complete stranger hugging joy when the fourth went in.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:27 pm

Jorge14 wrote:I too jizzed and went on a David Pleat-esque jig around my flat when Nicholl's scored.

A bit of cleaning needed around your flat then? :wink:

Great comeback.

Not great to hear of an Ince blunder but does make me smirk when I think of all the anti-Gilmartin rubbish spouted by some.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:55 pm

bangsection wrote:If I can be a bit sad and answer my own question, by my reckoning that's the first time we've turned round a two goal deficit since we beat Huddersfield 4-3 with a Matt Fryatt hat-trick and one from Paul Merson (what ever happened to him?) in January 2005. Don't ask me the last time we achieved the same feat away from home. We probably need Bernie for that!

I remember a game against swindon at home vaguely, and Gary Birch (lol) scored a wonderful header in the last minute to make us win 3-2. Im sure we were down 2-0 then aswell.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Just back from the game. Quite how we won that I don't know, we should have been dead and buried by half time.

The start of the game was pretty even, despite it being obvious that the midfield was struggling. Then Ince had an Ince moment, where for a free kick 35 yards out Clayton decided to stand on the penalty spot ready to catch the cross....only for the player to have the vision and ability to loft it straight in, I don't think it was a fluke for a second. After that it was as though the heads went down, and for the rest of the first half we were really really crud. There 2nd was a good finish, although had anyone bothered to close him down and try and block the shot then it may have been different. There ginger striker (who clearly isn't as good as ours :D ) missed a good chance to make it 3 and then Hughes cleared one off the line. Hutch brought Jones on for Till just before 40 minutes but he didn't really have time to influence the match before half time.

However, after the break it was a different game. We started to at least look competitive which is something we hadn't been all first half. Taundry got injured, Nicholls replaced him and we finally had the midfield that should have started the match. We scored almost immediately, Jones finishing coolly from a 1 on 1. Again though they wasted chances and should have put the game to bed. The great save the BBC reported was Ince getting down low to save a shot relatively close to him. Jones had another screamer from about 25 yards that their keeper touched over for a corner, his only save of the game. We scored from the resulting corner, and it reminded me of the incident in the first half where Hughes cleared off the line with our keeper nowhere. This time though Hughes was involved again and smashed one into the top corner. Wycombe's heads dropped and for the first time you felt we could win it. They're useless ginger striker skyed once from six yards out and then Nicholls slid one in minutes later from a Jones through ball. Then we managed to run down the clock, although once we were in the lead you never felt Wycombe had it in them to come back.

So it was a good comeback but we can't hide from the fact that we should never have been in that position in the first place. All the midfield four that started the game were rubbish and this is a real concern. Bradley and Richards will probably get most of the stick, but Taundry and Till were equally rubbish. You can't really afford to carry one player in a midfield four but we were carrying four. Weston was slaughtered first half but looked a threat going forward after the break. The two centre halves played well considering they had no protection at all. Ince never really got chance to attone for his error as his only real save you'd expect him to make anyway.

MOTM was Byfield by virtue of the fact he played the whole match. Best player on the pitch though was Jones by an absolute country mile and he really should be first name on the team sheet.

Despite the win, if we play how we did in the first half next week then Stourbridge WILL beat us.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:24 pm

As the poet said..."just got back". Well this was one for the fans when the full passion of the barmy army aka the gurroles (remember them) was on full display. The team went off at half time to jeers, boos, hisses, and some freely given advice to Hutchings. And it was all justified. The first half was one of the most gutless performances I have ever seen from Walsall (and I have seen a number). Wycombe had all the play and things got steadily worse. They had a free kick in some harmless position near to the half way line. The bloke kicked it. Ince was standing near the penalty spot. 1-0 to them. I would have thought he would have turned to the fans to apologise but the didn't. Soon they scored again. They also missed umpteen chances. At half time the bloke next to me in the tea bar queue summed it up with the comment "what can you say".

Jones was now on for Till in the second half and things were different from the word go. We went for the ball, tried to play it along the ground. Deeney showed the way by collecting balls that had passed the goal line and placing them on the spot for their keeper. Jones made all the difference - he was immense and got his reward with a well taken goal. The pressure was on. But then it lapsed and the game was heading out of our control until in the 80th minute Hughes shot home from a crowded penalty area. Game on in a big way. The lads surged forward and it paid off when Nichols slotted home. The fans went wild and all the misery of half time was forgotten.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:30 pm

My first away game of the season, but little point saying much because Priestley's already said it!

Inexplicable team selection and inexcusable performance in the first half, from possibly the worst midfield I've ever seen for us (Richards playing as usual like a second left-back, Bradley chasing shadows, Taundry occasionally winning the ball and invariably giving it away straight away, Till looking as usual like he would struggle to get on the bench for a low-level pub team).

Fortunately Wycombe are clearly awful at putting the ball in the net (they had 16 shots in the game to our 5) - they could and should have had us completely dead and buried by half time.

At least in the second half we put them under some pressure (playing a Merson-style 4-3-1-2 formation, with Jones terrific in the hole behind the strikers) - understandably Wycombe still had a number of opportunities since we were pushing forward so often, but their finishing again let them down. We were massively fortunate that Taundry got injured since Nicholls coming on gave us additional forward impetus. And Bradley playing in the middle of 3 brought out the best in him - he seems so much more comfortable in that role.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:58 pm

by dinkydotsaddler » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:30 pm

So much to say about today's game!!! Firstly, I am a stay-away, and proud to be! I went today because JB won't be getting any of the money. If I'm honest I went not expecting much, I didn't think we would be dire but I didn't think we'd be great either. I certainly didn't expect what I got!!!!!! I watched MY team in the first half and could have cried. They were a team with no heart and no spirit. I thought, and said, JB has done it, he has ripped the heart from this club. The club won't come back from this. They looked despondent and uninterested. No surprise when we were 2-0 down, tbh a better team would have been 4 up. Unbelieveable. The boos at half-time were horrible to hear but deserved. I honestly thought it's not a case of losing but by how many. Wycombe must have thought the same.

Second half we appeared brighter, scored a goal but then seemed to lose the plot again. Then, I am totally lost as to what happened (well Jones & Nicholls obviously) it was a different side. It was a team with pride and passion and a team that managed to pass the ball to a team mate - which always helps. I am still almost unable to believe what I witnessed. At 2-1 I was praying Wycombe didn't get the 3rd that I was sure was coming. At 2-2 I was dreading the feeling of being cheated when their 3rd came, and at 3-2 I was still thinking 'I'll take the draw'. Such was the transformation that I am still in shock. It was so nice to walk away from that game and feel that Walsall was a team to be reckoned with by the end!!!!!

Sadly, it does not take away the level of hatred I feel for Mr Bonser who remains the reason I will not attend a home game, even if after today I trully want to. Today was fantastic and the first half was almost worth bearing to witness the second, however, let's not forget that today will not be repeated often. Should we be looking back at a 4-2 defeat we would all feel very differently and that could have happened. What will it take to make that excuse for a Walsall man walk away? Hutchings may well have made mistakes and the team may be at fault in part but I feel aiming the criticism at anyone other than JB simply looks at the symptons and not the cause!

The passion the team showed when celebrating the goals and at the end just shows that they do care but they too must feel at a total loss at the way the club is being run.

UP THE SADDLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[topic locked. Use the match thread - there's no excuse for being a stayaway from there. Using text speak in your header didn't make the decision any easier, mind. Mod]]dinkydotsaddler

Private message

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:09 pm

Not long back from the game, at the end of the 1st half i rang Scott Powell and told him it was the worst I have seen Walsall play, they were dire i dont think we put two passes together all half. 2nd half they were superb and showed a lot of bottle to go for all three points after levelling it up. I have been a Glmartin basher I must admit and I dont think Ince is that great either, I think we need a new keeper, would give Oxley a go next week.

The difference was Steve Jones he was immense today again , why he didnt start is beyond me and probably anybody who was there today. The fans deserved this we gave them a rollocking 1st half and rightly so but backed them to the hilt second half and was great to celebrate with the players at the end. Also special mention to Byfield who even when we were so poor still looked the best player on the pitch barring when jones came on.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:18 pm

Banksy wrote:I have been a Gilmartin basher I must admit and I don't think Ince is that great either. I think we need a new keeper, would give Oxley a go next week.

I will be very surprised if Hull City allow Oxley to become cup-tied.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:25 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Banksy wrote:I have been a Gilmartin basher I must admit and I don't think Ince is that great either. I think we need a new keeper, would give Oxley a go next week.

I will be very surprised if Hull City allow Oxley to become cup-tied.

Good shout, well the Stockport game if we still have him.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:30 pm

Well what a rollercoaster day. Up early and at Bescot by 8:30 to get a Stourbridge ticket, then got on the wrong train home and ended up in cannock so I had to run home to Great Wyrley inorder to get to the coach on time.

As for the match, first half you would not have believe we were a professional football team. We realy were that bad. There was nothing positive from the first half. We spent 45 minutes chasing shadows. The HT whistle was met by a chorus of boos and various chants about the performance (all deserved.)

Second half something changed. The players came out of the tunnel, way after the Wycombe players and were met by the traditional war cry of "Saddlers Saddlers Saddlers". Almost instantly it seemed the fans and players came together. We got one back through Jones and then seemed to go on from there. I haven't seen Walsall fans react so wildly to us scoring for a long time. When the third went in, it was crazy. We were all in it together as a club, not just fans and players, as one. When Nicholls scored, it was mental, everyone was going crazy, the bloke infront of me turned round and hugged me, pulling me forward and I smacked my leg off his chair.

What a day. It felt like the fans and players united together. That was the best away game in ages. I'm struggling to put it into words. I'm gobsmacked.

UTS!

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:34 pm

Hear hear! It was something else today! First half attitude really concerned me but when that 3rd goal went in it was like Cardiff all over again! AMAZING! So glad I witnessed it! No amount of description can really make anyone understand what happened today! Awesome!

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:36 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Well what a rollercoaster day. Up early and at Bescot by 8:30 to get a Stourbridge ticket, then got on the wrong train home and ended up in cannock so I had to run home to Great Wyrley inorder to get to the coach on time.

As for the match, first half you would not have believe we were a professional football team. We realy were that bad. There was nothing positive from the first half. We spent 45 minutes chasing shadows. The HT whistle was met by a chorus of boos and various chants about the performance (all deserved.)

Second half something changed. The players came out of the tunnel, way after the Wycombe players and were met by the traditional war cry of "Saddlers Saddlers Saddlers". Almost instantly it seemed the fans and players came together. We got one back through Jones and then seemed to go on from there. I haven't seen Walsall fans react so wildly to us scoring for a long time. When the third went in, it was crazy. We were all in it together as a club, not just fans and players, as one. When Nicholls scored, it was mental, everyone was going crazy, the bloke infront of me turned round and hugged me, pulling me forward and I smacked my leg off his chair.

What a day. It felt like the fans and players united together. That was the best away game in ages. I'm struggling to put it into words. I'm gobsmacked.

UTS!

Spot on wyrley about the fans and players being as one, if we can make it so its like that every week who knows what could be achieved.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:02 pm

top day. top strippers, pathetic 1st half and awesome 2nd half. Mossive :mrgreen:

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:09 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:top day. top strippers, pathetic 1st half and awesome 2nd half. Mossive :mrgreen:

Neil, we are not interested in this football nonsense.

We are patiently waiting for someone to give a detailed match report of the happenings inside the White 'Oss with marks out of ten for each performer and also whether anyone scored more times than the team on the pitch.

Can anyone oblige?

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:32 pm

Hughes' Goal:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDBPUf-8hVI[/youtube]

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:36 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:top day. top strippers, pathetic 1st half and awesome 2nd half. Mossive :mrgreen:

We are patiently waiting for someone to give a detailed match report of the happenings inside the White 'Oss with marks out of ten for each performer and also whether anyone scored more times than the team on the pitch.

Can anyone oblige?

:mrgreen: obviously i wasnt watching but the red head Russian bint apparently was awesome :mrgreen:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:48 pm

Best away game in a long time.
Luckily for the Supers, their No 9 was stupendously hopeless, otherwise Wycombe could have been out of sight after 60 minutes.
A few observations :
1. Even in the depths of 1st half misery, only 1 idiot decided to shout "Hutchings Out" .
2. Sansara was excellent as an attacking full back in the 2nd half.
3. In the 2nd half, Bradley made some passes that would not have looked out of place in the Premiership. He is such a frustrating talent at the moment.
4. Weston was atrocious in the 1st half - for whatever reason, he seemed afraid to make a tackle.
5. Taundry = no football brain.
6. Till x 2 < Jones.
7. Deeney is probably the finest ballboy in the world.
8. Wycombe - good ground, good stewards, good atmosphere, good fans.
9. The Ref - one of the most bizarre exhibitions I have ever seen. He seemed to suffer from severely delayed reaction to any incident.
10. As a season ticket holder who makes a 200 mile round trip to every home game, I wasn't in a position to get to the Bonks's today before going to Wycombe. As it turned out, I think I may have ended up with the best deal.

Mirek

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:06 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:

Can anyone oblige?

:mrgreen: obviously i wasnt watching but the red head Russian bint apparently was awesome :mrgreen:

dont suppose you accidentally recorded any of it to put on you tube for the ones that missed it as well ?

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:15 pm

Just got back, what an amazing match but all it does is cover up the cracks. i cannot comment on the first goal as we did not arrive at ground until 3.15 pm because asps magical football tours coach driver took us on a de-tour through west wycombe :mrgreen: But of what of the first half i did see was awful just awful, the team lacked spirit an passion and just didn't look bothered. the fans rightly vented their spline at half time and i was one of them, But the second half ,wow, o'connor must have stuck the but straight up their backsides as every single one of those lads wanted to win every ball and we deversed to win on that alone.

But why hutch does not pick jones is beyond me the guy changed the game, along with nicholls, and they both were major factors in the win. IMO Hutch looks like he has no clue and i feel he will not last until after xmas

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:39 pm

AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:Just got back, what an amazing match but all it does is cover up the cracks. i cannot comment on the first goal as we did not arrive at ground until 3.15 pm because asps magical football tours coach driver took us on a de-tour through west wycombe :mrgreen: But of what of the first half i did see was awful just awful, the team lacked spirit an passion and just didn't look bothered. the fans rightly vented their spline at half time and i was one of them, But the second half ,wow, o'connor must have stuck the but straight up their backsides as every single one of those lads wanted to win every ball and we deversed to win on that alone.

But why hutch does not pick jones is beyond me the guy changed the game, along with nicholls, and they both were major factors in the win. IMO Hutch looks like he has no clue and i feel he will not last until after xmas

Woff ur smelly shoe at me on a coach again an u shall not last until the m6! :wink:

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:44 pm

Mirek wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:

Can anyone oblige?

dont suppose you accidentally recorded any of it to put on you tube for the ones that missed it as well ?

What happens on tour stays on tour. :)

coventriansaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:33 am

chestersaddler wrote:
coventriansaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Have done again and to summarise (from start of match)

Posts providing feedback from the commentary / factual information
Couple of views about Ince / Gilmartin (hardly surprising given the first goal)
A few digs / comments towards Hutchings
A few expressions of disappointment
Some references to jizzum (or was that page 4)
A prediction of a 4-2 win

Considering we were 2-0 at half time it was not that bad :)

And so logically we arrive at the digs towards the manager. I did we consider the score at the time, but my point (of which you wernt sure of) was maybe rather than call the manager a bell end, wait and see what the final score is. Crystal?
:D

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season