Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe Wanderers (A) League 1 Saturday 31/10/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Wycombe Wanderers (A) League 1 Saturday 31/10/09.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:31 am

coventriansaddler wrote:And so logically we arrive at the digs towards the manager. I did we consider the score at the time, but my point (of which you wernt sure of) was maybe rather than call the manager a bell end, wait and see what the final score is. Crystal?
:D

If you're on about logic, your argument has a massive flaw in its own. The 'digs' towards the manager were on the basis of his team selection/tactics at the start of the game. Those tactics and personnel saw us go in at half time 2-0 down. So, were those comments, posted at that time, valid? I would say so. Hutch changed things with substitutions to rectify a situation of his own making. Does he deserve credit for that? Certainly. Did he receive it on here? Definately.

A little analogy: If I close my eyes while driving and hit a lamp post, writing my car off and then buy a shiny new one with the insurance pay-out, does that mean I wasn't a "bell end" at the time of my self-induced accident?

Anyway, more importantly, great win that clearly showed bucketloads of character. Time to build on it. This league's rubbish, and offers a chance of play-offs for any team that can perform half-decently on a consistent basis.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:05 am

AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:Just got back, what an amazing match but all it does is cover up the cracks. i cannot comment on the first goal as we did not arrive at ground until 3.15 pm because asps magical football tours coach driver took us on a de-tour through west wycombe :mrgreen: But of what of the first half i did see was awful just awful, the team lacked spirit an passion and just didn't look bothered. the fans rightly vented their spline at half time and i was one of them, But the second half ,wow, o'connor must have stuck the but straight up their backsides as every single one of those lads wanted to win every ball and we deversed to win on that alone.

But why hutch does not pick jones is beyond me the guy changed the game, along with nicholls, and they both were major factors in the win. IMO Hutch looks like he has no clue and i feel he will not last until after xmas

So it was down to O'Connor, not Hutchings then - how do you know that, Alex?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:14 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Hughes' Goal:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDBPUf-8hVI[/youtube]

Good clip of Willy Nilly & Col :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 am

Coventrian,

It is normal for people to look for someone to blame when there own feelings are affected. Some are more vocal (or quicker on the keyboard) and some reserve judgment or are less emotive. It's just life.

Last season it was Chris Palmer, unfairly in my view. Sam Parkin picked up that mantle this season but is not now getting a game.

Mullen got dogs abuse for his tactics and it would appear that Hutchings' tactics / team selections are suspect to many.

In hindsight you were right about waiting 'till after the final whistle, but then UTS would be silent on a Saturday afternoon. Yesterday the board was much busier during te match which I enjoyed. When is the blog coming back Exile? :)

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:18 am

chestersaddler wrote:In hindsight you were right about waiting 'till after the final whistle, but then UTS would be silent on a Saturday afternoon. Yesterday the board was much busier during te match which I enjoyed. When is the blog coming back Exile? :)

True. On this basis, why comment match-by-match at all, and not just wait for the end of the season? :idea:

:?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:19 am

Mossive day :D

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:21 am

King Crimson wrote:
coventriansaddler wrote:And so logically we arrive at the digs towards the manager. I did we consider the score at the time, but my point (of which you wernt sure of) was maybe rather than call the manager a bell end, wait and see what the final score is. Crystal?

If you're on about logic, your argument has a massive flaw in its own. The 'digs' towards the manager were on the basis of his team selection/tactics at the start of the game. Those tactics and personnel saw us go in at half time 2-0 down. So, were those comments, posted at that time, valid? I would say so. Hutch changed things with substitutions to rectify a situation of his own making. Does he deserve credit for that? Certainly. Did he receive it on here? Definately.

A little analogy: If I close my eyes while driving and hit a lamp post, writing my car off and then buy a shiny new one with the insurance pay-out, does that mean I wasn't a "bell end" at the time of my self-induced accident?

Anyway, more importantly, great win that clearly showed bucketloads of character. Time to build on it. This league's rubbish, and offers a chance of play-offs for any team that can perform half-decently on a consistent basis.

Absolutely spot on KC.
I just cant imagine how Walsall fans would have felt after the first 45 minutes yesterday.
Travelled all that why to see, from what I have read on the thread, a gutless performance.
2-0 down to the worse team in division 1.
Then 45 minutes later, all forgiven and the trip well worth it.

The signs are once again there though, hence why we will never ever, achieve anything with that donkey in charge of picking the starting 11.
Like you also clearly state this league is rubbish.

Conclusion: Donkey Hutchings as had enough games in charge now and everyone knows he is useless.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:11 am

Good win but for me the result just papers over the cracks in the walsall team. The white horse pub was quality :wink:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:34 am

Nicholls' Winner and the last 10 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHYx_O2Fu78

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:21 am

Most entertaining match for ages.

Second half stumbled upon by Hutchings, by using the players most fans would have playing from the start. Despite having nothing around him Byfield has been so impressive recently the way he's leading the line, even in the first half. He just needs that creativity and directness of Jones there with him.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:30 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Absolutely spot on KC.
I just cant imagine how Walsall fans would have felt after the first 45 minutes yesterday.
Travelled all that why to see, from what I have read on the thread, a gutless performance.
2-0 down to the worse team in division 1.
Then 45 minutes later, all forgiven and the trip well worth it.

The signs are once again there though, hence why we will never ever, achieve anything with that donkey in charge of picking the starting 11.
Like you also clearly state this league is rubbish.

Conclusion: Donkey Hutchings as had enough games in charge now and everyone knows he is useless.

to be fair we could have been 3 or 4 down in the first half. Wycombe were much the better side and we ran round like headless chickens! a really poor performance with no passion or commitment. The game only seemed to change when Nicholls came on. From then a spirited fighting game that made me remember why I am proud to be a Saddler :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:55 am

Did i see we attacked with relative movement and some pace for the the 3rd goal? :shock: Bloody hell.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:01 pm

to go two goals down to the worst team in the league says a lot .

fair play to the lads for turning it around . cannot understand why CH insists on starting Till .

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:12 pm

Duke wrote:to go two goals down to the worst team in the league says a lot .

fair play to the lads for turning it around . cannot understand why CH insists on starting Till .

I think it's because he has a certain sense of arrogance about his signings. Anyone can see Nicholls is better than Till.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:30 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Most entertaining match for ages.

Second half stumbled upon by Hutchings, by using the players most fans would have playing from the start. Despite having nothing around him Byfield has been so impressive recently the way he's leading the line, even in the first half. He just needs that creativity and directness of Jones there with him.

Byfied also needs a better striker alongside him than Deeney or Parkin for that matter.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Just gotto send a personal shout out to the lads yesterday. WHAT A DAY :D I got the last Stourbridge ticket, i got to see lots of strippers, im 22 years old 6 foot tall had the cheek to ask for a childs in Wycombe claiming i was 14 and the women in the turnstyle believed me :D the lads came back from 2-0 to win 2-3 and when i got of the mini bus in wednesbury i found a tenner on the floor infront of me brilliant. :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:11 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Just gotto send a personal shout out to the lads yesterday. WHAT A DAY :D I got the last Stourbridge ticket, i got to see lots of strippers, im 22 years old 6 foot tall had the cheek to ask for a childs in Wycombe claiming i was 14 and the women in the turnstyle believed me :D the lads came back from 2-0 to win 2-3 and when i got of the mini bus in wednesbury i found a tenner on the floor infront of me brilliant. :D

:lol: Awesome.

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:56 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:Just got back, what an amazing match but all it does is cover up the cracks. i cannot comment on the first goal as we did not arrive at ground until 3.15 pm because asps magical football tours coach driver took us on a de-tour through west wycombe :mrgreen: But of what of the first half i did see was awful just awful, the team lacked spirit an passion and just didn't look bothered. the fans rightly vented their spline at half time and i was one of them, But the second half ,wow, o'connor must have stuck the but straight up their backsides as every single one of those lads wanted to win every ball and we deversed to win on that alone.

But why hutch does not pick jones is beyond me the guy changed the game, along with nicholls, and they both were major factors in the win. IMO Hutch looks like he has no clue and i feel he will not last until after xmas

So it was down to O'Connor, not Hutchings then - how do you know that, Alex?

i don't know that it is just my belief that O'Connor is the one that sticks the boot in to the lads and Hutchings deals with the tactical side. look at the bench on match days on you will see what i mean

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:57 pm

latviancheese wrote:Did i see we attacked with relative movement and some pace for the the 3rd goal? :shock: Bloody hell.

There was some great free flowing stuff after Jones came on.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Did i see we attacked with relative movement and some pace for the the 3rd goal? :shock: Bloody hell.

There was some great free flowing stuff after Jones came on.

Good to know, the 3rd goal was fantastic on the highlights. Its just beggars belief he put Till in instead of Jones.

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Just gotto send a personal shout out to the lads yesterday. WHAT A DAY :D I got the last Stourbridge ticket, i got to see lots of strippers, im 22 years old 6 foot tall had the cheek to ask for a childs in Wycombe claiming i was 14 and the women in the turnstyle believed me :D the lads came back from 2-0 to win 2-3 and when i got of the mini bus in wednesbury i found a tenner on the floor infront of me brilliant. :D

If it had got queen's head on the front it's MINE :D :wink:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:40 pm

A few pictures that I posted on FF

Sorry about the quality of some, alot of jumping about was involved in the second half :D

At the start:

Jones' Goal To Pull it back to 2-1:

3-2!!!!:

Walsall fans singing

Full Time:

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:40 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:.............Byfield has been so impressive recently the way he's leading the line

So true, he's never played better for us than he is at the moment, in the first half yesterday he seemed to be the only one in midfield or attack who applied any method to what he did.

Talk about plumbing the depths and scaling the heights - the definitive match of two halves; apart from a sending-off or a broken leg things couldn't have been much worse for us in the first 45 minutes. We'd have been dead and buried if we'd been playing a clinical team.

The abuse directed towards the management team at half time was well-deserved.

Hughes equaliser was the highlight for me. I wasn't a fan of his at first but he's changed my opinion of him. I was really impressed with Sansara in the second 45 too.

The second half was so much better - we've just got to keep Jones fit all season now!! Great to have something to get excited about.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:46 pm

Good win - still can't see anything but mid table at best - to state the obvious if you look at our results we have won games against teams

24th
23rd
20th
17th
6th - the exception that proves the rule

and lost to teams

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
11th

our form screams mid table

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:05 pm

Well what a game of two halves.

The first half was the most dreadful, gutless, effortless, passionless first half ive ever seen ANY walsall team put in. Wycome would have been fully justified if there lead was by 5 goals at half time and not 2. The defence looked shaky and the midfield combination of Taundry & Bradley were so over ran they might as well have been in the changing room. Richards & Till were paceless, in-affective, slow and offered absolutely zilch. Ince's keeping for the first was dreadful and for the first half hour he looked absolutely clueless, nervous and not like his usual self. Thank god for Hughes clearance of the line in a mad scramble or else i think things would have gotten worse not better. Things were getting that bad near the end of the first half Hughes looked at one point like he was going to deck Bradley, he chased him down a good few yards and un leashed his fury. THANK GOD peter till took a slight knock and forced Hutch to change things, which to his credit changed things alot, he messed around with the midfield and formation and for the first time in his reign at the club made a change tactically & formation wise that changed the game. There was so much aggression aimed at the team from the stand during the last 10 minutes of the first half and my god they deserved it. I can only imagine how mad Hutch must have gone at the players during half time.

2nd half, we instantly looked brighter, byfield put a chance over the bar. We got a goal back through Jones after a decent ball from richards and things looked up. Still we road our luck, they could have scored another couple. We rarely threatened and looked as though we'd gone rubbish again. Nicholls came on for the injured Taundry. Jones had a cracking effort from 25 yards tipped over the bar, from the resulting corner Hughes scored a good goal from a centre back in the top corner and from then on there was only going to be one winner, a quality through ball from jones slid Nicholls in who finished fantastically from an angle. Que delirious scenes in the away end, mini pitch invasions the lot.

It was a refreshing site to see all the players ( particualrly Hughes & Byfield ) jumping into the fans and looking so happy that we'd turned things around, it showed that for once the players are bothered and there is effort in there.

Verdicts :
- Hutch still has plenty to answer for, when it comes to team selection anyway.
- Dwayne Mattis's job in our team is MASSIVELY under-rated, the centre midfielders in the first half we're so over-ran it was unbeleivable, neither could get a "mattis" like touch in.
-The players do actually care, just there quality isn't good enough to challenge for promotion.
- Mark Bradley, Marc Richards & Peter Till are 3 of 4 of the worst midfielders ive ever seen in my life.
- Wycombe are a decent family club, with a decent ground, in a decent area.
- We NEED to keep Steve Jones fit.
- Jeff Bonser is finally having his affect on the players, who probably realise themselves that they aren't good enough as a team to make promotion & we therefore settle for not bothering.

Things need to improve, ive never seen such a disgraceful first half. I can only imagine what a top half side would have done to us. At least the players showed fight and the passion for the fans in the second half.

UTS.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 pm

Sadders wrote:an essay.

Did it take you that long to type your post, or have you only just got back from the White Horse? :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:24 pm

LOL. First time ive had the chance since the match to give my opinions. :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:34 pm

Just watched the highlights on the beeb site. Most enjoyable! :D

Every clip of Jones shows him to be a danger and key to our attacking success - hopefully something someone else has noticed!! :wink:

And what a quality ball through to Nicholls for the third goal!!

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Sadders wrote:LOL. First time ive had the chance since the match to give my opinions. :D

It was worth the wait Sadders, top post.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:25 am

'Sadders' - good point about Mattis' value to the team; he might not be the complete midfielder but we really missed him.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season