Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 24/10/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Bernie
UTS Legend

Re: Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 24/10/09.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:45 am

Cheesebag wrote:Just got back...gutted to lose this one, dominated long periods in the first half, didn't think it was a penalty for then either, the ball went in the direction of Hughes tackle indicating he got the ball..

From the TV pictures it looks as if you are right and Hughes did get the ball, but it was still a clear penalty and a terrible choice from Hughes.

The forward had his back to the goals, was near the edge of the penalty area and was moving away from the goals so there was absolutely no need for Hughes to slide through him from behind in order to play the ball. Years ago you could get away with tackles like that if you played the ball, but since the 1970s the tackle from behind that takes the legs of the player along with the ball has been a foul whether or not the tackler wins the ball.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Bernie wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Just got back...gutted to lose this one, dominated long periods in the first half, didn't think it was a penalty for then either, the ball went in the direction of Hughes tackle indicating he got the ball..

From the TV pictures it looks as if you are right and Hughes did get the ball, but it was still a clear penalty and a terrible choice from Hughes.

The forward had his back to the goals, was near the edge of the penalty area and was moving away from the goals so there was absolutely no need for Hughes to slide through him from behind in order to play the ball. Years ago you could get away with tackles like that if you played the ball, but since the 1970s the tackle from behind that takes the legs of the player along with the ball has been a foul whether or not the tackler wins the ball.

Have to agree

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:15 pm

That was a completly ridiculous tackle, but it seemed to happen in slow motion, almost as hed made his decision to jump in about ten seconds ago, by which time the player had turned around.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Nailed on penalty, I'm afraid. What the hell he was thinking about, tackling his man from behind, running AWAY from goal, I have no idea.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:11 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:Is that 2 assists in 2 games now for Mark Bradley? Last week a complete flook, but this one looked like a good ball through to Byfield. :D

sorry ive just seen it again, the through ball wasnt as good as i though it was, bit lucky really :oops:

Still 2 assists in 2 weeks though :mrgreen:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:13 am

We dominated for long periods without having the real cutting edge that Jones bought us last week. Byfield was our only threat and his link up play was good, so what does Hutchings do when we're losing and need a goal to get back into it...take him off. CLUELESS. Take a defender or midfielder off and go 4-3-3 with Byfield still on, you clown.

I still don't think I've seen Till make a decent cross yet this season.

There was hardly anything between the sides and they are third, and that's been the same for most teams we've played. The standard of the league isn't good this season at all and with a bit less tactical naivety we could be where they are in the league.

Worst part of the day was the pathetic organisation of the shuttle buses from the town to the ground. Have they been taking lessons from WFC? There was a queue of us in town, including home fans that catch the bus regularly that were waiting until after 3:05, then not the expected two, but THREE turned up at once when only one was half full. By the time we had got the ground it was quarter past so after we had gone to the ticket office and walked round we missed the first two goals. :evil:

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:50 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Nailed on penalty, I'm afraid. What the hell he was thinking about, tackling his man from behind, running AWAY from goal, I have no idea.

Agreed penalty for sure.

Great finish from Byfield

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Never happy with a defeat, but we got exactly what we expected from this game - nil points. On the plus side it sounds like we played with a lot more compsure than we have been doing recently and with a coouple of minor tweeas could and should be doing well, rather than flirting with relegation. Well done the lads.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Just seen the highlights on the BBC website. Never a penalty. Hughes plays the ball clearly.
If that was Premiership level the referee would be dropped.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 325272.stm

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:37 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Just seen the highlights on the BBC website. Never a penalty. Hughes plays the ball clearly.
If that was Premiership level the referee would be dropped.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 325272.stm

Sorry, my friend, but, imo, it was a clear (and unnecessary) penalty. What's more, Hutchings and Hughes agree that it was, too!

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 am

Boss blames skipper for penalty loss

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/10/2 ... alty-loss/

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season