Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (H) League 1 Saturday 17/10/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
bangsection
Site Addict

Re: Exeter City (H) League 1 Saturday 17/10/09

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:34 pm

SWS1 wrote:
BTW - see? Sir Ray turns up and everything turns out lovely!

*Chants* "CAN WE PRAISE YOU EVERY WEEK?"

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Shame for Gilmartin, but it was nice to see a keeper dominate his box and coming for crosses which made me realise how wev'e missed Ince because that it still a down fall of Gilmartins game. Also good to hear Ince bark out his orders.
Until Gilmartin adds this to his game he still wouldn't be my first choice.
Yes we were crud first 30 mins, but so were MK Dons last week when we dominated 1st 25 min but couldn't score just like Exeter today.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Shame for Gilmartin, but it was nice to see a keeper dominate his box and coming for crosses which made me realise how wev'e missed Ince because that it still a down fall of Gilmartins game. Also good to hear Ince bark out his orders.
Yes we were crud first 30 mins, but so were MK Dons last week when we dominated 1st 25 min but couldn't score just like Exeter today.

Apparently it's the sign of a good team to win when you don't play well...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:Shame for Gilmartin, but it was nice to see a keeper dominate his box and coming for crosses which made me realise how wev'e missed Ince because that it still a down fall of Gilmartins game. Also good to hear Ince bark out his orders.

Apparently it's the sign of a good team to win when you don't play well...

:mrgreen:

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:58 pm

Interesting game in that they payed really well for 30 mins and yet we were leading after that. They must have been well hacked off to have been losing 2-0 at half time. Second half, i thought we were in control. Jones was excellent as was Byfield. Hughes and Smith did as did Mattis at times. We have a reasonable spine to the team but the wide areas, apart from Jones, are dodgy.

A word for the lady from behind me in the stand. As I was taking my seat, she went past me with a white box. It was quite flat, a bit bigger than A4. I didn't think too much of it but did wonder momentarily what might be in there. I happened to look round to where she was sitting after about 30 mins to see that she had a bag of photographs and the white box contained a photo album. She was sitting there arranging the photos into the album paying little heed to the battle on the greensward in front of her. I actually took a quick look to see if they were football pictures, but no, they were baby pictures.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:25 pm

How on earth did we win 3-0??!! That was a strange scoreline in a game where we could have been 3 down in the first ten minutes.

A little word for Hutchings, you need to get the midfield sorted!! Richards and Bradley are not working. Get someone in on loan and we could maybe give the top 6 a fight.

Steve Jones was outstanding!!

Great to see Sir Ray run onto the pitch considering hes just recovering from his operation. Would have been nice for him to do a lap of honour.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:07 pm

moanin old git wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:Win 3-0, attendance approx 4,500 given the WHG offer and the Sir Ray factor.

Only my second game of the season (Leeds being the other), but really looking forward to it to see Sir Ray again.

Not a hope in the proverbial matey, next time we will see over 4k at the Bezza will be the next home match after
Bonser resigns...........a long wait then!

I'd love to go along with everyones optimism about the result, but I believe our inabilty to actually SCORE goals will
let us down again 0-0 banker. :(

Firstly cracking effort priestley, secondly Steve (MOG), your eternal pessimism as ever, has a habit of biting you on the backside. you really need to get out of Yorkshire more often.

Enjoyed the game, as others have said after a shocking first 20 minutes we played some good stuff and scored some cracking goals.

Since the Norwich game when the predictable people made predictable snipes on here about Walsall games lacking shots, goals etc, our games are averaging three goals a game, shared equally between ourselves and the opposition. This side is nowhere near good enough to challenge the top six but at least they're getting us off our seats and giving us some value.

With Sir Ray skipping onto the pitch at half-time, a good footballing day to be a Walsall fan.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Enjoyable game. For the first 25 minutes Exeter had total control in midfield, and played great football. They passed the ball along the ground and should have scored. When we scored the Exeter fans sang "One Nil and you still don't sing." The FTG replied "One Nil, and we're playing Sh....". I don't think I have ever heard such an honest assessment of the performance.

Jones showed some real class and his goals changed the match completely. Can anyone explain why he was left out of the side for about seven matches when Till, Nicholls or Richards were preferred ahead of him?

It was great to see Ince back in goal. He makes a real difference. We now know beyond any argument that Ince is easily the better goalkeeper and that Gilmartin is just about an adequate deputy when Ince is unavailable.

In the Bonser suite - before Ray Graydon said a few nice words about how Jeff Bonser used to pick the team and tell him to leave Byfield out - Roy Whalley made his usual introduction. He was being brave since he was clearly unwell and it was difficult for him to speak. It looks as if he has Bell's Palsy, because the muscles down one side of his face had slipped. I have criticised various aspects of Whalley's performance at Walsall, but I do wish him well and hope that he makes a full and speedy recovery.
Last edited by Bernie on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Really entertaining game, for the brilliance of Jones, but not for the overall quality of the football.

At times we are truly awful, struggling to string a couple of passes together. Then, a bit of brilliance from Byfield, a low cross and we're one nil up. Then a bit of brilliance from Jones and we're two nil up, they get a man sent off softly and then a bit of luck and Deeney's through one on one, three nil.

With a bit more quality in the side, we could do the basics right, and we'd be a half decent side, trouble is the likes of Weston, Vincent, Bradley and Richards really aren't good enough for this league and they let us down.

Bradley huffs and puffs, but he's oh so poor, and oh so slow. The less said about Richards the better, some say he's a left back being played out of position, but im sorry, that doesn't excuse being seemingly incapable of finding another walsall player with a pass.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:54 pm

Jones's goal was classy. When was the last time you saw a player run at a defence at bescot :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:08 am

[positive mode]SO we soaked up the pressure of a desperate team, then threw it back when we needed to, running in to the dressing room comfortable 3-0 winners.[/positive mode]

Well done the lads!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:25 am

Surprised more hasn't been made of Mattis' contribution. Thought he was immense in the middle, and was the sole reason their relative dominance in the first half didn't turn into us being completely over-run. Jones, Byfield, Hughes, Smith, Mattis and in my view both full backs did their jobs relatively effectively - especially second half. But for me, the stand-out performances were Mattis and Jones. Different class.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:15 am

King Crimson wrote:Surprised more hasn't been made of Mattis' contribution. Thought he was immense in the middle, and was the sole reason their relative dominance in the first half didn't turn into us being completely over-run. Jones, Byfield, Hughes, Smith, Mattis and in my view both full backs did their jobs relatively effectively - especially second half. But for me, the stand-out performances were Mattis and Jones. Different class.

Surely that should be different 'clarse'!! :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:54 am

Reaction:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... -reaction/

I actually think we (and the midfield in particlar) were much better second half, after a change in tactics (not before time)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:56 am

latviancheese wrote:Jones's goal was classy. When was the last time you saw a player run at a defence at bescot :?

Exactly, look at horse faces' goal for Chelsea yesterday. SHOOT! more often, what's the worst that could happen.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:15 pm

First half scared the life out of me we were dreadful , apart from the very impressive Jones , For once at least the manager did something about it and we saw a much better second period.

Worried about Gilmrtin i have a lot more confidence in him than i do Ince .

Great to see Sir Ray run out what a man .

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 pm

good to hear he got a good reception .. a strange but great scoreline indeed

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:54 pm

I thought we were desperately poor well into the first half and, had it been a boxing match, the ref might have considered stopping the contest, and then ........... we scored ! How the hell that happened I just don't know, but it was the one and only thing of quality that we'd done in the game up to that point, and it was certainly very tough on Exeter - we had some poor finishing, some near-misses and Rene to thank for still being on terms at that time. I was just in the middle of texting my co-director (on hols) to tell him we were 1 up against the run of play and ............ we went and scored again! An unbelievable score-line and at half-time everyone around us was saying the same. Talk about "flattered by the score-line"??

Second-half we improved, but I thought Exeter were still the dominant team until the ridiculous sending-off. With one yellow already from the first-half, what on earth the Exeter player was thinking about as he barged/blocked Byfield, I just can't imagine. He was 35-40 yards from OUR goal, out wide-left, NO danger whatsoever, and if he looks at it on the video today, he'll be very unhappy with himself for getting himself sent off, but the second yellow was absolutely the right decision, he can have no complaints.

Up to that point I could see them coming back into it, but once they were down to ten men we took over and never mind 3, it could have been 5 or 6 and Jones was very unlucky not to get the hat-trick that he was clearly trying very hard for.

Over the whole game 3-0 flattered us, but over the last 20 minutes it didn't. I was another that thought Deeney was clearly offside when the ball rebounded to him - I was right in line with it - so I'm surprised to read above that the BBC programme shows him being played-on by the left back. I need to see that for myself, as I was so convinced at the time that he was offside. Regardless of that, Deeney put the shot away well from that 1 on 1 situation, but it was one of the few things I could praise him for in the game to that point.

I thought defensively we were quite solid, apart from the early exchanges when it looked as if Exeter were going to over-run us. However, I thought we lacked any ability to get the ball out of defence via the midfield and I got quite fed up of seeing the hoof-balls out of defence, particularly from Mark Hughes who signalled his intentions with a massively over-hit hoof into the Text stand immediately after the kick-off. There was no midfield, no constructive football being played, and I thought it was very poor stuff from us. In contrast, Exeter played the ball around man to man very nicely.

Once Jones took over the show we improved no end, and he was popping up here, there and everywhere and Byfield too was working hard with little support, while Deeney looked as awkward and clumsy as he ever did. Well taken goal from him, but IMHO the rest of his contribution wasn't impressive at all.

Manny Smith worked hard and his was a decent performance.

Despite Rene looking much better than the last time I saw him, and even after he'd made a few quite decent stops in the early stages, I was still happier when Clayton came on and showed us how to dominate the penalty area, which is a part of Rene's game that is lacking and still needs a lot of work. Rene must play though, as we are going to need him very soon when Clayton finally bows out of full-time league football.

At the end, a very pleasing result. At 45 minutes I was amazed we were ahead, at 60 minutes (-ish) I'd have given Exeter a chance of coming back, but by 90 minutes and with a bit more luck it might have been a much bigger score than three in our favour.

I just wish this game had given me the bug to come back on a regular basis, I tested it out but sadly it didn't, and I think we'll continue to struggle unless we learn to play for 90 minutes against 11 men ! :?

Oh, and it was great to be there to salute Sir Ray. As someone has already said, a lap of honour would have been nice, and I wish another 1,000 or so had turned up for him on the day, but at least there was an extra 600 or so inside the stadium for him.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:22 pm

Agree with most stuff put above. Rene did make one great save at 0-0 when it looked like the ball was nestling in the top corner, but he needs to learn that he has a mouth and there are times when he needs to use it. Was much more comfortable with Clayton on and the defence seemed to have more confidence in him.

I couldn't decide if the defenders were hoofing the ball because their passing is cack or because the central midfield was rubbish. I don't understand the praise of Mattis in much the same way I don't understand the criticism of Bradley and Richards. I thought they all performed to a similar level (infact Bradley edged it over Mattis IMO as he didn't keep recklessly diving into tackles and missing everything), although I appear to be on my own in that opinion.

Overall defence was solid, strikers linked up well with each other and Jones looks a class above anything else we have. Looked determined to get the hat trick and if it weren't for the Exeter right back heading one off the line he would surely have had it.

I have to agree with Geoff though, it didn't really give me the buzz to go back more often.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:41 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:Agree with most stuff put above. Rene did make one great save at 0-0 when it looked like the ball was nestling in the top corner, but he needs to learn that he has a mouth and there are times when he needs to use it. Was much more comfortable with Clayton on and the defence seemed to have more confidence in him.

I couldn't decide if the defenders were hoofing the ball because their passing is cack or because the central midfield was rubbish. I don't understand the praise of Mattis in much the same way I don't understand the criticism of Bradley and Richards. I thought they all performed to a similar level (infact Bradley edged it over Mattis IMO as he didn't keep recklessly diving into tackles and missing everything), although I appear to be on my own in that opinion.
Overall defence was solid, strikers linked up well with each other and Jones looks a class above anything else we have. Looked determined to get the hat trick and if it weren't for the Exeter right back heading one off the line he would surely have had it.

I have to agree with Geoff though, it didn't really give me the buzz to go back more often.

I wasn't very impressed by either to be honest, apart from a few decent touches here and there, but Mattis was certainly reckless on a few occasions and, with a more stringent referee, he could well have got two yellows and we too could have been down to ten men.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:06 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I thought we were desperately poor well into the first half and, had it been a boxing match, the ref might have considered stopping the contest, and then ........... we scored ! How the hell that happened I just don't know, but it was the one and only thing of quality that we'd done in the game up to that point, and it was certainly very tough on Exeter - we had some poor finishing, some near-misses and Rene to thank for still being on terms at that time. I was just in the middle of texting my co-director (on hols) to tell him we were 1 up against the run of play and ............ we went and scored again! An unbelievable score-line and at half-time everyone around us was saying the same. Talk about "flattered by the score-line"??

Second-half we improved, but I thought Exeter were still the dominant team until the ridiculous sending-off. With one yellow already from the first-half, what on earth the Exeter player was thinking about as he barged/blocked Byfield, I just can't imagine. He was 35-40 yards from OUR goal, out wide-left, NO danger whatsoever, and if he looks at it on the video today, he'll be very unhappy with himself for getting himself sent off, but the second yellow was absolutely the right decision, he can have no complaints.

Up to that point I could see them coming back into it, but once they were down to ten men we took over and never mind 3, it could have been 5 or 6 and Jones was very unlucky not to get the hat-trick that he was clearly trying very hard for.

Over the whole game 3-0 flattered us, but over the last 20 minutes it didn't. I was another that thought Deeney was clearly offside when the ball rebounded to him - I was right in line with it - so I'm surprised to read above that the BBC programme shows him being played-on by the left back. I need to see that for myself, as I was so convinced at the time that he was offside. Regardless of that, Deeney put the shot away well from that 1 on 1 situation, but it was one of the few things I could praise him for in the game to that point.

I thought defensively we were quite solid, apart from the early exchanges when it looked as if Exeter were going to over-run us. However, I thought we lacked any ability to get the ball out of defence via the midfield and I got quite fed up of seeing the hoof-balls out of defence, particularly from Mark Hughes who signalled his intentions with a massively over-hit hoof into the Text stand immediately after the kick-off. There was no midfield, no constructive football being played, and I thought it was very poor stuff from us. In contrast, Exeter played the ball around man to man very nicely.

Once Jones took over the show we improved no end, and he was popping up here, there and everywhere and Byfield too was working hard with little support, while Deeney looked as awkward and clumsy as he ever did. Well taken goal from him, but IMHO the rest of his contribution wasn't impressive at all.

Manny Smith worked hard and his was a decent performance.

Despite Rene looking much better than the last time I saw him, and even after he'd made a few quite decent stops in the early stages, I was still happier when Clayton came on and showed us how to dominate the penalty area, which is a part of Rene's game that is lacking and still needs a lot of work. Rene must play though, as we are going to need him very soon when Clayton finally bows out of full-time league football.

At the end, a very pleasing result. At 45 minutes I was amazed we were ahead, at 60 minutes (-ish) I'd have given Exeter a chance of coming back, but by 90 minutes and with a bit more luck it might have been a much bigger score than three in our favour.

I just wish this game had given me the bug to come back on a regular basis, I tested it out but sadly it didn't, and I think we'll continue to struggle unless we learn to play for 90 minutes against 11 men ! :?

Oh, and it was great to be there to salute Sir Ray. As someone has already said, a lap of honour would have been nice, and I wish another 1,000 or so had turned up for him on the day, but at least there was an extra 600 or so inside the stadium for him.

As a stayaway, you are not allowed to comment on the match thread :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:20 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:Agree with most stuff put above. Rene did make one great save at 0-0 when it looked like the ball was nestling in the top corner, but he needs to learn that he has a mouth and there are times when he needs to use it. Was much more comfortable with Clayton on and the defence seemed to have more confidence in him.

I wasn't very impressed by either to be honest, apart from a few decent touches here and there, but Mattis was certainly reckless on a few occasions and, with a more stringent referee, he could well have got two yellows and we too could have been down to ten men.

Look at where Mattis was committing those fouls, and you'll see the problem with our midfield.

Whilst I acknowledge that football is a game of opinions, to suggest that Bradley performed better than Mattis yesterday is quite frankly laughable.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:16 pm

Diabolical 1st 30 minutes. Exeter played nice one touch pass and move football but were completely inept upfront & thats clearly the reason there going to be down there. Jones's goals were excellent,especially the second & you could in the second half that filled him with confidence as he was dangerous right throughout the second period. Second was much better, particularly afteer around 55-60 minutes, we could have infact scored plenty more. Ince, Hughes, Smith,Mattis,Byfield,Jones were all excellent, Weston was good and Vincent was steady. The only dissapointments for me were Deeney, Richards and Mark Bradley who just seems to get worse everyweek.

MOTM candidates were Smith, Mattis and Jones.

Monsterous credit for mattis, who after scoring a cracking goal in the game against huddersfield with his left foot (weaker foot) he tried and equally good effort and was only inches away from scoring another corking goal, that and the fact he practically runs our midfield on his own, the mark bradley affect completely nullifies everything he does.

Considering he's been out for a week manny looked excellent in defence, barely lost a header and is completely rejuvinated in himself obviously, after playing like a complete muppet under mullen. Jones was probably the correct choice though, created a lot, scored to beautiful goals and could have scored 4 or 5 bar a couple of good saves from marriott.

Onwards and upwards hopefully, question is.. how many will we lose by at colchester next week? Oh the joys of mid table.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:17 pm

chestersaddler wrote: As a stayaway, you are not allowed to comment on the match thread :wink:

But I WAS there CS, for England and Sir Ray! :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Sadders wrote:Diabolical 1st 30 minutes. Exeter played nice one touch pass and move football but were completely inept upfront & thats clearly the reason there going to be down there. Jones's goals were excellent,especially the second & you could in the second half that filled him with confidence as he was dangerous right throughout the second period. Second was much better, particularly afteer around 55-60 minutes, we could have infact scored plenty more. Ince, Hughes, Smith,Mattis,Byfield,Jones were all excellent, Weston was good and Vincent was steady. The only dissapointments for me were Deeney, Richards and Mark Bradley who just seems to get worse everyweek.

MOTM candidates were Smith, Mattis and Jones.

Monsterous credit for mattis, who after scoring a cracking goal in the game against huddersfield with his left foot (weaker foot) he tried and equally good effort and was only inches away from scoring another corking goal, that and the fact he practically runs our midfield on his own, the mark bradley affect completely nullifies everything he does.

Considering he's been out for a week manny looked excellent in defence, barely lost a header and is completely rejuvinated in himself obviously, after playing like a complete muppet under mullen. Jones was probably the correct choice though, created a lot, scored to beautiful goals and could have scored 4 or 5 bar a couple of good saves from marriott.
Onwards and upwards hopefully, question is.. how many will we lose by at colchester next week? Oh the joys of mid table.

..... not forgetting the clearance off the line by their defender. Jones deserved a hat-trick, shame he couldn't quite get it.

Not so sure I agree about Hughes. I thought he was solid enough after the initial Exeter onslaught, but his only thought once he got the ball was to hoof it anywhere upfield, no thoughts of creativity at all. First time I've seen him though; is he always like that?

The thing I find odd is how we failed to come out of the blocks at the start of the match, and just allowed ourselves to be totally dominated. In that time Exeter weren't entirely inept as you've described them, in fact they had several very near misses and Rene made a couple of very decent saves. Without those the outcome might have been very different.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:18 am

I was very fortunate in that I arrived 20 minutes into the game. I was told how Exeter were clearly the better team so far and then witnessed Steve Jones put us two up by half time!

Good turnout by the Exeter fans I thought - they got behind their team well, too.

I went for a coffee after 25 minutes - to the kiosk at the far end of the 64446 Stand - only to be told they had sold out. When I told the bloke sitting next to me he remarked that they had none when he asked before the kick-off!! What's that all about?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:13 am

mel58 wrote:I went for a coffee after 25 minutes - to the kiosk at the far end of the 64446 Stand - only to be told they had sold out. When I told the bloke sitting next to me he remarked that they had none when he asked before the kick-off!! What's that all about?

None in the Stadium Suite kiosk before kick-off either, mel. We're obviously ordering stock as we need it. Freeze-dried coffee and powdered milk in plastic containers is hardly a perishable commodity, is it? Oh, and no "Yorkies".

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:59 am

A great result and I'm absolutely delighted for Jones who has been given a raw deal so far.
Goandwatchers, you were right and I feel very silly now as an arch stayaway.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:12 am

King Crimson wrote:
mel58 wrote:I went for a coffee after 25 minutes - to the kiosk at the far end of the 64446 Stand - only to be told they had sold out. When I told the bloke sitting next to me he remarked that they had none when he asked before the kick-off!! What's that all about?

None in the Stadium Suite kiosk before kick-off either, mel. We're obviously ordering stock as we need it. Freeze-dried coffee and powdered milk in plastic containers is hardly a perishable commodity, is it? Oh, and no "Yorkies".

Non in the FTG middle before the game either. Had to make do with a cup of PG tips. Tea with powdered milk! Yeeeuuuughhh!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:13 am

mel58 wrote:Good turnout by the Exeter fans I thought - they got behind their team well, too.

Yes I thought that too. Anyone know how many they brought?

I felt sorry for them having the long drive back to Exeter after that, but such is the life of a footie fan.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season