Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

MK Dons (A) League 1 Saturday 10/10/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: MK Dons (A) League 1 Saturday 10/10/09

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:35 pm

1-0 down cross from right and Easter scored from 2 yards. Bad defending down the left yet again.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Just noticed on BBC Live Vidiprinter that we now have 'goal event' and 'dismissal event' instead of just 'goals' and 'sending off'!!

It's PC gone mad!! :lol:

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Four Oaks Saddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:John Salako's covering the game on Sky Sports News. He's very impressed with us!

I'm loathed to speak too soon but it sounds like we've started pretty well, listening to the match on WM.

STOP IT!! :wink:

I'll keep my gob shut next time. :lol:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:
Four Oaks Saddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:John Salako's covering the game on Sky Sports News. He's very impressed with us!

I'm loathed to speak too soon but it sounds like we've started pretty well, listening to the match on WM.

Told you so!! :( :wink:

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:40 pm

Mick Kearns - "We have not seen enough from Mark Bradley yet in this game."

Paul Franks - "Walsall midfield not influential enough yet in the game"

Why cannot Hutchings see what everyone else can?

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:41 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Four Oaks Saddler wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:
Four Oaks Saddler wrote:

Told you so!! :( :wink:

Sounds like their 'keeper is playing a blinder. :wink:
Last edited by Four Oaks Saddler on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:42 pm

Bernie wrote:Mick Kearns - "We have not seen enough from Mark Bradley yet in this game."

Paul Franks - "Walsall midfield not influential enough yet in the game"

Why cannot Hutchings see what everyone else can?

He's probably too busy wondering what's going on in Finland! :wink:

Agree though, that it is very disappointing. Seems to be something of a stuck record and Groundhog day concerning our midfield at the moment.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:48 pm

We seem to have had only 27% possession, according to the BBC.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Oddly - Salako has just been on saying we've been the best team and Mattis and Bradley have been our best players.

Odd.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:14 pm

John Salako seems to think we've been the better side and are more than unfortunate to be behind.

Says Byfield is looking very dangerous but has missed 3 good chances, linking well with Deeney... Whilst he also says that Mattis and Bradley are playing very in midfield,a we're just lacking a cutting edge (again).

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Radio 5 Live has us as a featured match. First 30 mins we were all over them. Apparently even after the goal their keeper had to make 2 brilliant saves.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:25 pm

WM just said Bradley can only pass side ways and cant put a pass right today.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:27 pm

424 Walsall fans in attendance.

Franks: How many times have Jones and Richards got forward? Answer Nil.

According to Franks Bradley has done nothing in midfield. -- What a surprise. He has done nothing nothing in midfield for about 18 months.

About 75 minutes gone, plenty of poor performances - and Hutchings's use of substitutes? As usual he has no idea.
Last edited by Bernie on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Till on for Jones

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:46 pm

For Gods sake Hutchings get the other subs on and try something different! :evil:

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:02 pm

One shot on target in the whole 95 minutes!!!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:08 pm

John Salako thought we were "the better side" but, as ever, it will be interesting to read the reports of those who went.

Oh well, a win for Slovakia tonight will cheer me up.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:16 pm

bangsection wrote:John Salako thought we were "the better side" but, as ever, it will be interesting to read the reports of those who went.

I don't know what Salako's on, but not even Mick Kearns could find any positives after the game

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
bangsection wrote:John Salako thought we were "the better side" but, as ever, it will be interesting to read the reports of those who went.

I don't know what Salako's on, but not even Mick Kearns could find any positives after the game

Maybe he's a happy clapper.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Well I've just got back and it was a very disappointing performance in the end. For the first 25 minutes we completely dominated, MK hardly had a kick. Byfield was looking dangerous and their keeper had to pull off a couple of good saves. Then MK had a five minute spell, scored a soft goal and the game ended as a competive encounter.

Byfield did hit the post with a difficult chance in the second half but apart from that we hardly troubled them. One incident summed it up for me, at the end of the first half, we had a free kick about 35 - 40 yards out from their goal. It was clear this was going to be the last kick of the half and that we were going to put the ball into the box and try to scramble a goal - but (and this I really can't fathom) Clayton McDonald, the biggest guy on the pitch just stayed on the half way line and didn't bother to get into the box. Why?

The referee was utter crud. A complete homer. Gave them a free kick every time one of their players fell over.

Our two cenral midfielders played well below potential, Bradley giving the ball away far to often with passes to MK players, which meant we never really stood any chance of building up a head of steam, although our wide midfield players offered no threat either. In fact I can't remember a single cross from open play.

The game just seemed to lack any passion, although the Walsall faithful were in good voice throughout the second half. Maybe it's the effect of Milton Keynes, it sucks the very life blood from you.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Maybe I was hallucinating, but I'm sure that Byfield missed a gilt-edged chance, Bradley ( yes, Bradley ) then won the ball in their box and forced the keeper into an excellent save, and Bradley ( yes, Bradley again ) had another shot charged down - all in the space of a few minutes after their goal and before half-time.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Excellent first 25 minutes good passing football. Byfield missed a one on one and volley after a cracking move down the right and brillant dummy by deeney. Missed our chances and new it would cost us, they attack once and score after some dreadful defending down the left. Second half was as boring as it comes, although Byfield did somehow hit the post from a tight angle.

It's weird how our team is obsessed by playing football down the left when its as clear as day that the left hand side is crap and paceless. Jones touched the ball to his feet twice in the whole match, less than Nicholls did last week. Its no wonder our right wingers seem to be performingly like idiots, they aren't touching the ball. Its stupid attacking down our left, Vincent passes to Richards who realises he hasn't got the pace and passes square or backwards and Vincent doesn't have the pace to overlap as well as be defensively secure.

Hughes, Weston, Macdonald, Byfield and Troy did well, although Byfield should have scored at least 2.
Mattis did ok.
Richards was terrible and Jones barely touched the ball in his time on the pitch.
Vincent did okay defensively but cant attack for toffee
AND MARK BRADLEY is the worst football player ive ever seen. Cant pass,cant control, has no pace cant even complete a 10 yard sidewards pass. Disgracefully pathetic excuse for a football player.

MK dons were terrible they barely created anything.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:05 pm

moaning saddler wrote:Maybe I was hallucinating, but I'm sure that Byfield missed a gilt-edged chance, Bradley ( yes, Bradley ) then won the ball in their box and forced the keeper into an excellent save, and Bradley ( yes, Bradley again ) had another shot charged down - all in the space of a few minutes after their goal and before half-time.

That was before their goal.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Percie rang me after the game and said yet again Hutchings made some remarkably poor tactical decisions, a game between two poor sides..

He told me Hutchings should be sacked as he is clueless - I am starting to think similar.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:15 pm

For the first 20 minutes we played very well but poor defending by Vincent out wide and MacDonald in the centre led to a tap in for Easter. Byfield then missed a sitter and that was the end of the match. The second half was a non-entity.

We are definitely a team of the most one paced players I have ever seen. Weston, Vincent, MacDonald, Richards, Bradley and Deeney have only one gear and that is very slow. The team cries out for pace, but we are just plodders. A meandering Club with players of a silmiar ilk and a clueless dithering manager.

Quite how MacDonald gets into the side ahead of Mannie is beyond me. As we are probably just about good enough to stay up any money we are contributing to MacDonald's wages is a total waste of resources. This could be a season to blood the likes of Mannie and Griggs ready for next season.

Came away very disappointed, we should have got at least a point.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:36 pm

we were worth a point

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:16 pm

It's amazing how different people's view of a match can differ. Salako on Sky claimed at one point that in the second half that Deeney, Byfield, Mattis AND Bradley were all impressive. Also, he appeared adamant that we were the better team, played the better football throughout and we deserved at least a point. However, from some of the comments on here, they seems it that at least some of his comments may have been wide of the mark.

I didn't go to the game today but I always wonder whether some fans just remember the negative aspect of games (especially when we have lost) and forget the positives. I didn't expect much from today but was hoping that we would at least perform well which Salako seem to confirm.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:30 pm

But PS, it's not just fans opinions on here that go against what Salako said, it's also the match stats. We managed one shot on goal Ive read on here, and 27% posession.

Also on WM, they pretty much said we were dreadful in midfield and didnt threaten at all in the 2nd half. There's only Salako that says we were good, mind you, he does spend most of the game with his back to it :lol:

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:00 pm

True, but I do think sometimes people go to games with their minds already made up on certain players or the team itself. They then tend to forget the good bits of the game and just remember every little mistake.

I have been to many games before where I have thought a player has has a decent game only for that player to be slated on this board. Looking at the stats from today though, the possession % is shocking!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:04 pm

We had most of the possession throughout. We were pushing for most of the second half, our attacking play was just to pedestrian. We practically controlled the game for 25 minutes. So thoose stats are just ridicolous. Agreed about the shots on target though. We did however luck dangerous going forward at times in the first half. Second was non existant. God how much i wish we'd have kept Sofianne Zaaboub now, that or even better Lee Holmes.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season