Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle (H) League 1 Saturday 3/10/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Carlisle Saturday 3rd October

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:...and that's why we will finish mid table.

Unfortunate but we could have done with that win today, would have put us top ten.

Exactly
A disappointing draw against a poor team away from home, thats 1 win in 11 now for them away.
And they scored as many in todays game as they have in previous 4! Says something about our defence.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:...and that's why we will finish mid table.

Unfortunate but we could have done with that win today, would have put us top ten.

I agree

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:25 pm

BRADLEY IS CRAP

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Bradley was awful today - I dont know what has happened but he is a shadow of the player he once was.He was all over the place, no positioning, no tackles ,no creativity - awful.
I feel like its a defeat beacuse of the last minute equalizer.Byfield was again superb , dont know how the sponsors made Mattis MOTM.
We showed exactly our mid -table status, and thats how I expect it to stay.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Oh well disapointing to finish with a draw but walsall shall move on . UTS

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Another poor performance against another average team, and that is why we will struggle this season - because we cant beat average sides at home. God knowns what we're going to be like when a half decent side like Charlton roll up at the Banksss'ss''s

Our midfield was once again non existant, Richards was piss poor, so was Nicholls and Mark Bradley, jesus christ he was poor. Why doesnt he give O'Keefe a chance? Hutchings signed him?!?

Draw was a fair result though overall.

Im just quite frankly bored because this season is going to be one of the worst ive ever watched. The football is atrocious, the atmosphere has gone and the players are some of the worst I've ever seen in Walsall colours.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Disapointed. Should of won the game. But a boring game at that. I dont think th game deserved 4 goals. Nothin down left. Swap Richards with Jones. Bradley was rubbish. I would give O'Keefe ago. He cant be much worse. Mcdonald solid again. Hughes a bit dodgy, not as good as Smith.

One point is not good enough. Is this the start of another 6 months without a win at home? I should hope not.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:14 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Another poor performance against another average team, and that is why we will struggle this season - because we cant beat average sides at home. God knowns what we're going to be like when a half decent side like Charlton roll up at the Banksss'ss''s

Our midfield was once again non existant, Richards was piss poor, so was Nicholls and Mark Bradley, jesus christ he was poor. Why doesnt he give O'Keefe a chance? Hutchings signed him?!?

Im just quite frankly bored because this season is going to be one of the worst ive ever watched. The football is atrocious, the atmosphere has gone and the players are some of the worst I've ever seen in Walsall colours.

I agree... if I didn't have a season ticket with beer vouchers still in it, I would be tempted to become a stay-away... in fact, I am tempted. Truly shocking class of football served up yet again. Totally one dimensional.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Reading these early posts, I wonder why everyone has the knife into Bradley. Is it because our expectations of him are higher than for the others? Personally, I thought that he was the least bad of four bloody awful midfield players today. How was Mattis given man-of-the-match by the RAF sponsors? Their observational skills must be very poor! :twisted: Although he deserves credit for his part in the build-up to Byfield's goal, he cancelled that out by being at fault for both Carlisle goals. For their first, his error left Weston easily "skinned" by Robson and for the second he came off Kavanagh whom he was supposed to be marking to allow him to cross the ball unchallenged.

Bradley did not play well today but Mattis, Nicholls and Richards were all much worse. Mattis is a scrapper and battler and nothing more (but no better than Taundry in that rôle). Nicholls never got the better of the Carlisle left-back and as for Richards - WHY??? Obsessively left-footed and contributes nothing to the team play.

Having said all that, I will speak in defence of our midfield. The distribution of our back four, today, was universally dreadful - a style of aimless "hoofball", even worse than in the days of Dicky Dosh and Jimmy Muddle. In terms of ball-winning, they were quite sound (apart from Hughes in the first half) but, once they had possession, all we got was a big hoof up-field, over the heads of midfield, to no-one in particular - well no-one in a red shirt, anyway. Who is telling/coaching them to play in this appalling way? I think that we all hoped that Hutchings would try to introduce at least a touch of style or class into our play but our current style (or lack of it) would embarrass a Sunday morning pub team. Certainly, if McDonald thinks that he has a career in the Premier League ahead of him, playing like that, then he is due for major disappointment.

It's not new players that we need most of all, it's coaching, organisation and tactical discipline. Over to you, CH.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:24 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Another poor performance against another average team, and that is why we will struggle this season - because we cant beat average sides at home. God knowns what we're going to be like when a half decent side like Charlton roll up at the Banksss'ss''s

Our midfield was once again non existant, Richards was pee poor, so was Nicholls and Mark Bradley, jesus christ he was poor. Why doesnt he give O'Keefe a chance? Hutchings signed him?!?

I agree... if I didn't have a season ticket with beer vouchers still in it, I would be tempted to become a stay-away... in fact, I am tempted. Truly shocking class of football served up yet again. Totally one dimensional.

I agree also. This season is deffo last as a season ticket holder and possibly last of all until a new era dawns at Walsall. I can take multiple defeats as long as it's despite everyone at the club pulling in the same direction. What I can't stomach is a club going through it's death throes while a pension pot is topped up.

Last Sunday I realised I get more excited/nervous during my son's games than I do at any Walsall game. A few years ago I'd have NEVER predicted that. I just hope we can get new owners before this club just ceases to exist.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Reading these early posts, I wonder why everyone has the knife into Bradley. Is it because our expectations of him are higher than for the others? Personally, I thought that he was the least bad of four bloody awful midfield players today. How was Mattis given man-of-the-match by the RAF sponsors? Their observational skills must be very poor! :twisted: Although he deserves credit for his part in the build-up to Byfield's goal, he cancelled that out by being at fault for both Carlisle goals. For their first, his error left Weston easily "skinned" by Robson and for the second he came off Kavanagh whom he was supposed to be marking to allow him to cross the ball unchallenged.

Bradley did not play well today but Mattis, Nicholls and Richards were all much worse. Mattis is a scrapper and battler and nothing more (but no better than Taundry in that rôle). Nicholls never got the better of the Carlisle left-back and as for Richards - WHY??? Obsessively left-footed and contributes nothing to the team play.

Having said all that, I will speak in defence of our midfield. The distribution of our back four, today, was universally dreadful - a style of aimless "hoofball", even worse than in the days of Dicky Dosh and Jimmy Muddle. In terms of ball-winning, they were quite sound (apart from Hughes in the first half) but, once they had possession, all we got was a big hoof up-field, over the heads of midfield, to no-one in particular - well no-one in a red shirt, anyway. Who is telling/coaching them to play in this appalling way? I think that we all hoped that Hutchings would try to introduce at least a touch of style or class into our play but our current style (or lack of it) would embarrass a Sunday morning pub team. Certainly, if McDonald thinks that he has a career in the Premier League ahead of him, playing like that, then he is due for major disappointment.

It's not new players that we need most of all, it's coaching, organisation and tactical discipline. Over to you, CH.

BRADLEY WAS THE WORST PLAYER BY FAR!!

I think your observational skills are very poor to be honest.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Pedagogue... I normally think you are quite acurate... but you are wrong with Bradley... he was awful, and has been for the last couple of seasons, Hutchings and the the Welsh must see something I dont - as Louise says, he is a shadow of his former self where he looked so promising. Richards is poor - but at least he is always on the go and involved.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:34 pm

scott_powell wrote:BRADLEY WAS THE WORST PLAYER BY FAR!!

... in YOUR opinion! :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Bradley was anonymous today - don't get why Nicholls has escaped all of the ire, he was just as bad.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Pedagogue... I normally think you are quite acurate... but you are wrong with Bradley... he was awful, and has been for the last couple of seasons, Hutchings and the the Welsh must see something I dont - as Louise says, he is a shadow of his former self where he looked so promising. Richards is poor - but at least he is always on the go and involved.

Yep. Count me in the 'Bradley is wack' club/clique please.

Mattis made errors, but he was much better than Bradley. Sorry, Ped.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:39 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
scott_powell wrote:BRADLEY WAS THE WORST PLAYER BY FAR!!

... in YOUR opinion! :lol:

And the majority of the messegeboards :roll:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:45 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Pedagogue... I normally think you are quite acurate... but you are wrong with Bradley... he was awful, and has been for the last couple of seasons, Hutchings and the the Welsh must see something I dont - as Louise says, he is a shadow of his former self where he looked so promising. Richards is poor - but at least he is always on the go and involved.

Yep. Count me in the 'Bradley is wack' club/clique please.

Mattis made errors, but he was much better than Bradley. Sorry, Ped.

Har - he was cack. Mattis while making errors wanted the ball and battled.

Bradley ay had a good game since DD.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:55 pm

FBIG - I agree, Nicholls too has gone very off the boil... although I still think he is a better striker than midfielder.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:03 pm

12th place, superb -now we're there lets keep it going.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:11 pm

A lacklustre game distinguished only by some cracking goals from both sides.

Our first was the best bit of football I've seen us play this season - precise and swift passing and a great finish from Mr. Byfield. I hoped we'd get the message and learn from our success but that wasn't the case; still too much speculative long and high stuff for me.

What does Jones have to do to start a game?

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:13 pm

I left the ground today feeling like we had lost. Thought we were poor again. Vincent and Richards remind me of the Chuckle brothers. "to me, to you, to me, to you". At least in the second half Vincent overlapped to try and cross the ball. Vincent is worse than Boertien. We should have just kept him. Richards was poor but the worst player on the pitch was Bradley. Absolute rubbish. O'Keefe must be bad to be kept out of the side by Bradley. Taundry has his critics but he is so much better than Bradley. Hughes is not as good as Manny Smith. Is it me or when Hughes plays we seem to conceed 2 goals per game? If we had a half decent midfield we would be more resilient. A loan player (money withstanding) in the centre midfield would do us the world of good. Jury is most definately out on Hutchings. His win ration as a manager with all clubs is poor. That said, you can't polish a turd. He can only work within tight confines. Work in progress I think.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:20 pm

caldy wrote:I left the ground today feeling like we had lost. Thought we were poor again. Vincent and Richards remind me of the Chuckle brothers. "to me, to you, to me, to you". At least in the second half Vincent overlapped to try and cross the ball. Vincent is worse than Boertien. We should have just kept him. Richards was poor but the worst player on the pitch was Bradley. Absolute rubbish. O'Keefe must be bad to be kept out of the side by Bradley. Taundry has his critics but he is so much better than Bradley. Hughes is not as good as Manny Smith. Is it me or when Hughes plays we seem to conceed 2 goals per game? If we had a half decent midfield we would be more resilient. A loan player (money withstanding) in the centre midfield would do us the world of good. Jury is most definately out on Hutchings. His win ration as a manager with all clubs is poor. That said, you can't polish a turd. He can only work within tight confines. Work in progress I think.

Did you mean Ratio? Either works :mrgreen:

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:29 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
caldy wrote:I left the ground today feeling like we had lost. Thought we were poor again. Vincent and Richards remind me of the Chuckle brothers. "to me, to you, to me, to you". At least in the second half Vincent overlapped to try and cross the ball. Vincent is worse than Boertien. We should have just kept him. Richards was poor but the worst player on the pitch was Bradley. Absolute rubbish. O'Keefe must be bad to be kept out of the side by Bradley. Taundry has his critics but he is so much better than Bradley. Hughes is not as good as Manny Smith. Is it me or when Hughes plays we seem to conceed 2 goals per game? If we had a half decent midfield we would be more resilient. A loan player (money withstanding) in the centre midfield would do us the world of good. Jury is most definately out on Hutchings. His win ration as a manager with all clubs is poor. That said, you can't polish a turd. He can only work within tight confines. Work in progress I think.

Did you mean Ratio? Either works :mrgreen:

Yes. I meant ratio, was getting carried away when typing!!!!! Couldn't type fast enough.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:36 pm

I usually agree with Pedagogue, but not tonight.

Bradley has not had a good game for the club for nearly two years. If you ever try to watch out for him you will notice that he is hardly ever involved, when he is he never does anything particulary good, and usually gives the ball away. While Richards and Nicholls were also poor they were not as bad as Bradley. How does he get a game every week? He would not get a game for a decent club in the Blue Square.

But our tactics of Hoof-Ball were also appalling. We scored out first goal with a lovely piece of FOOTBALL playing the ball along the ground - but the rest of the game we just passed to the back four for them to hoof it in the general direction of the forwards. Not good enough Hutchings. While I always want Walsall to win, if we had held out today it might have let Hutchings think that he was doing well by getting us two wins in a row. We are not doing well and if we carry on like this relegation is not unlikely.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:40 pm

caldy wrote:...At least in the second half Vincent overlapped to try and cross the ball...

I mean no disrespect to a solid pro like JV, but it's a sad state of affairs when we are reliant on him to add an extra dimension to our attack.............where's Zigor Aranalde when you need him?!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:41 pm

mel58 wrote:
caldy wrote:...At least in the second half Vincent overlapped to try and cross the ball...

I mean no disrespect to a solid pro like JV, but it's a sad state of affairs when we are reliant on him to add an extra dimension to our attack.............where's Zigor Aranalde when you need him?!

I thought JV wasn't bad today. Added more as a winger today than Richards has all season!

NOTORIOUS_VIP

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:45 pm

how does richards stay in the side ahead ov Jones???

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:46 pm

nicholls and bradley played awful --- have not seen bradley put in a decent display for along long time , surely he shouldnt be starting ? I can see why Richards got released by Ipswich !!!

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:50 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
mel58 wrote:

I thought JV wasn't bad today. Added more as a winger today than Richards has all season!

Richards was supposed to be playing on the wing? That only heightens my confusion!

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:51 pm

We had a lucky win Tuesday & an unlucky draw today. Thats football in term of Div 1 obscurity.

Things will change in a year so when the current regime has gone.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season