Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle (H) League 1 Saturday 3/10/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Carlisle Saturday 3rd October

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Regarding Bradley - I just get the impression that there are many on this board whose minds are made up, even before the game. We saw it earlier in the season with Gilmartin. He could have turned in performances like Gordon Banks at his best and still some posters would have said "Gilmartin is rubbish - bring back Ince!". We have seen it, to a lesser extent, with Taundry and Sansara, in the recent past. We all have our favourite heroes and villains but let's give them a fair crack of the whip, eh? - particularly when dealing with our younger players. It looks like Nicholls may be next in line.

There is clearly a problem with Bradley and it is one which should be greatly concerning Hutchings and O'Connor. He played well for us under Dicky Dosh but has not done so under Jimmy Muddle and Chris Hutchings. He continues to play well and get better in the Wales Under-21 team. Surely we should be asking why? Could it be that, when he plays for Wales, he plays in a side of good footballers which doesn't just hoof the ball aimlessly upfield at every opportunity and, instead, actually plays through midfield - you know - like we briefly did today, to set up Byfield's goal?

In my earlier post, I did not say that Bradley played well, because he clearly didn't. What did puzzle me was the apparent vendetta against him on this board. Just saying Bradley was crap without suggesting why that may the case adds nothing to the debate. I don't get to as many games now and so I went with an open mind. I paid special attention to our midfield and Bradley in particular, having read so much negative comment on here, this season. IMO, Bradley contributed at least as much as Mattis and much, much more than Nicholls (a player whom I have always rated in the past) and Richards (of whom I have seen very little). The whole midfield quartet was poor but we must ask - why? I have suggested above that one major reason is the absolutely shocking lack of anything remotely approaching good distribution skills on the part of our back four (all four of them). Our midfield was constantly by-passed. Frankly, even Gerrard, Barry and Lampard would struggle in front of our back line.

This is down down to coaching and tactics - and we all know whose responsibility that is.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:03 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Regarding Bradley - I just get the impression that there are many on this board whose minds are made up, even before the game. We saw it earlier in the season with Gilmartin. He could have turned in performances like Gordon Banks at his best and still some posters would have said "Gilmartin is rubbish - bring back Ince!". We have seen it, to a lesser extent, with Taundry and Sansara, in the recent past. We all have our favourite heroes and villains but let's give them a fair crack of the whip, eh? - particularly when dealing with our younger players. It looks like Nicholls may be next in line.

There is clearly a problem with Bradley and it is one which should be greatly concerning Hutchings and O'Connor. He played well for us under Dicky Dosh but has not done so under Jimmy Muddle and Chris Hutchings. He continues to play well and get better in the Wales Under-21 team. Surely we should be asking why? Could it be that, when he plays for Wales, he plays in a side of good footballers which doesn't just hoof the ball aimlessly upfield at every opportunity and, instead, actually plays through midfield - you know - like we briefly did today, to set up Byfield's goal?

In my earlier post, I did not say that Bradley played well, because he clearly didn't. What did puzzle me was the apparent vendetta against him on this board. Just saying Bradley was crud without suggesting why that may the case adds nothing to the debate. I don't get to as many games now and so I went with an open mind. I paid special attention to our midfield and Bradley in particular, having read so much negative comment on here, this season. IMO, Bradley contributed at least as much as Mattis and much, much more than Nicholls (a player whom I have always rated in the past) and Richards (of whom I have seen very little). The whole midfield quartet was poor but we must ask - why? I have suggested above that one major reason is the absolutely shocking lack of anything remotely approaching good distribution skills on the part of our back four (all four of them). Our midfield was constantly by-passed. Frankly, even Gerrard, Barry and Lampard would struggle in front of our back line.

This is down down to coaching and tactics - and we all know whose responsibility that is.

If we had the management & coaching staff were the best in the world they wouldn't be at WFC.

That's just the way it is.; no hope until JB goes.
Last edited by Asps on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:09 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Another poor performance against another average team, and that is why we will struggle this season - because we cant beat average sides at home. God knowns what we're going to be like when a half decent side like Charlton roll up at the Banksss'ss''s

Our midfield was once again non existant, Richards was pee poor, so was Nicholls and Mark Bradley, jesus christ he was poor. Why doesnt he give O'Keefe a chance? Hutchings signed him?!?

Draw was a fair result though overall.

Im just quite frankly bored because this season is going to be one of the worst ive ever watched. The football is atrocious, the atmosphere has gone and the players are some of the worst I've ever seen in Walsall colours.

Agree entirely with the above opinion. Had high hopes for Bradders and Nicholls but they are both crap at the moment. It has all been said about Richards but I also feel that he wimps out most the time. Anybody else notice this or is it just me?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Regarding Bradley - I just get the impression that there are many on this board whose minds are made up, even before the game. We saw it earlier in the season with Gilmartin. He could have turned in performances like Gordon Banks at his best and still some posters would have said "Gilmartin is rubbish - bring back Ince!". We have seen it, to a lesser extent, with Taundry and Sansara, in the recent past. We all have our favourite heroes and villains but let's give them a fair crack of the whip, eh? - particularly when dealing with our younger players. It looks like Nicholls may be next in line.

In my earlier post, I did not say that Bradley played well, because he clearly didn't. What did puzzle me was the apparent vendetta against him on this board. Just saying Bradley was crud without suggesting why that may the case adds nothing to the debate. I don't get to as many games now and so I went with an open mind. I paid special attention to our midfield and Bradley in particular, having read so much negative comment on here, this season. IMO, Bradley contributed at least as much as Mattis and much, much more than Nicholls (a player whom I have always rated in the past) and Richards (of whom I have seen very little). The whole midfield quartet was poor but we must ask - why? I have suggested above that one major reason is the absolutely shocking lack of anything remotely approaching good distribution skills on the part of our back four (all four of them). Our midfield was constantly by-passed. Frankly, even Gerrard, Barry and Lampard would struggle in front of our back line.

Bradley is crud because he cant pass, cant jump, cant out strength anyone, cant read the game ... the list could go on and on. But what annoys me the most is that we know he can do all those things yet he isn't. Thats the main reason im so anoyed with his performances now. I really hope he proves me wrong and gets better rather than getting worse. Im not trying to look like a bradley hater because im not. I KNOW he has some great qualities ... problem is he just aint doing it anymore but i know it can change!

And i agree with what you say about Rene. He cant do anything right with some fans even when he plays well! Its okay for ince to miss kick everything and roll balls out the the opposition but as some as Rene comes out a second late yet still collects the ball its the worst thing in the world! They tried it with manny smith now they move to gilamrtin

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:47 pm

I'm sick of these idiots that ironically cheer everytime Renew picks up the ball from a back pass or whaterver. What exactly do you think he should be doing that he's not?

The precise nano-second their second goal went in a bloke by me was up off his seat barracking Rene. I suppose the two Carlisle players totally unmarked were Rene's fault? The precise nano-second the final whistle went he was up shouting that as him. I must miss things during games because I fail to see how the whole game was his fault.

:evil:

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Drawing that game wasnt Rene's fault but he is rubbish, doesnt command his area in the slighest and im not taking the exccuse hes still young, played enough games on the spin now to be a lot more talkative. Saying that Bradley and Richards are a lot worse, Stevie Jones has got to start and i cant wait till Taundry is fit again to play in the middle of the park! The manager should take his fair share of the blame today why when we were 2-1 up with a few minutes left and we were just hoofing it back to them didnt he get off his bakside and tell the players to get it down and keep the thing ile never know!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:36 pm

Taundry has to play in the middle, there is no energy.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:39 pm

latviancheese wrote:Taundry has to play in the middle, there is no energy.

Definatly if he's fit

boris the saddler

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:41 pm

I dae go today (gets ready to be shot down in flames) but I was personally quite chuffed with Hutch and o'Connor as a managenent team and with the signings we made, not least Baby Boy who is clearly a class above. Parkin looked worth a look and Richards has pedigree.

We should have beaten Swindon. We should have won today. With a bit more luck, and perhaps some better decisions from the manager I fully accept, we'd be sitting right in there in the top six. As it is we we mid table. Hardly a disaster is it? We've had some great times as fans in recent years...maybe we've been a touch spolit and expect too much for a small club with just 3,500 (+500 stayaways) fans ?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:04 pm

boris the saddler wrote:Parkin looked worth a look and Richards has pedigree.

I would agree that, on paper at least, given his past record at Swindon, Parkin was worth a look, particularly given our limited budget. However, on their message boards, the Ipswich fans were pretty well unanimous that Richards was rubbish and that they were well rid of him. Orient had a good long look at him on an extended trial, too, and they rejected him. That should have set a few alarm bells ringing.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:21 pm

In my opinion Bradley is suffering because he doesn't have a holding player behind him. In DD's reign, he was playing in a midfield three as far as I can remember and looked really good.

Today was the first time I had been for abot 10 months and I enjoyed the game. It wasn't a mastyerclass in the art of passing but we are League one after all. Wasn't overly inpresed with any of the midfielder but thought the defence were fairly solid. The lack of help in central midfield didn't help our centre backs, especially when Mark bridge Wilko came on as an extra midfielder.

One thing I picked up was the body language of Deeney and Byfield. They seemed to be rather naffed off when they didn't get the sort of ball they wanted. I thought they would know to expect long balls to chase. Fair enough if it was late in the second half when you've been running all game but surely not after 15-20 minutes.

I also thought Byfield should have looked up when almost 1 on 1 with the keeper deep into the second half. Deeney was free in the box and would of had a great chance to make it 3-1, instead Byfield chose to shoot and the game then finishes 2-2. Missed chances!!!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Chomper wrote:In my opinion Bradley is suffering because he doesn't have a holding player behind him. In DD's reign, he was playing in a midfield three as far as I can remember and looked really good.

Today was the first time I had been for abot 10 months and I enjoyed the game. It wasn't a mastyerclass in the art of passing but we are League one after all. Wasn't overly inpresed with any of the midfielder but thought the defence were fairly solid. The lack of help in central midfield didn't help our centre backs, especially when Mark bridge Wilko came on as an extra midfielder.

One thing I picked up was the body language of Deeney and Byfield. They seemed to be rather naffed off when they didn't get the sort of ball they wanted. I thought they would know to expect long balls to chase. Fair enough if it was late in the second half when you've been running all game but surely not after 15-20 minutes.

I also thought Byfield should have looked up when almost 1 on 1 with the keeper deep into the second half. Deeney was free in the box and would of had a great chance to make it 3-1, instead Byfield chose to shoot and the game then finishes 2-2. Missed chances!!!

What about their missed chances? Scott Dobie comes to mind ... was so bad its funny :lol:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Well that was crap. We conede late goals as such a regularity now that it doesn't really bother me anymore, its that expected. Mark Bradley is one of the most atrocious football players in the entire footballing industry, how he gets a game over my NAN is beyond me. Matt Richards isn't far off either. I thought Vincent did a better attacking job than Richards did. We used the left hand side so much that it was pure stupidity from the management not to have at least put Jones on at half time, someone with pace that could fully exploit the time and pace we were getting down the left. Nicholls was anonymous, but only because things went down the left and Weston didnt support him as much as Vincent did Richards. Its funny though isn't it, first half against Swindon we were attackingly excellent and we use Nicholls all down the right and he gets man of the match?.Gilmartin looked a nervous reck again and nearly cost us on a couple of occasions from his hesistancy, at least his kicking is good. I thought Mattis was generally pretty decent in the nitty gritty, he won plenty of tackles and the only reason we scored the first was because he pushed forward through the midfield ( something we've lacked for years) and then played a great CUTTING edge ball out to Richards, he won plenty of tackles and generally did well going forward, he was however at fault for the first goal, not so sure about the 2nd as it was up the other end. The DEFENCE looked very shaky today, it seems typical that when our attacking prowess is lacking our defence is brillant, yet when we finally start scoring goals we cant defend for toffee. The result was a fair on overall game play as they were much the betterside in the first half and BAR awful striking from Scott Dobie arguably could have been 2 up. On a plus note, thought we picked up in the second and deservedly took the lead. Byfield was excellent again, mattis decent and jones looked lively when he came on. Vincent i thought was pretty good as well. Maconald was the better of the 2 centre halves and keeping him for as long as possible is going to eb key as to how the teams does.

My starting line up next saturday?.

Ince
Weston Hughes Macdonald Vincent
Nicholls Mattis Taundry/O'keefe Jones
Byfield Deeney.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:24 am

Bernie wrote:I usually agree with Pedagogue, but not tonight.

Bradley has not had a good game for the club for nearly two years. If you ever try to watch out for him you will notice that he is hardly ever involved, when he is he never does anything particulary good, and usually gives the ball away. While Richards and Nicholls were also poor they were not as bad as Bradley. How does he get a game every week? He would not get a game for a decent club in the Blue Square.

I agree with that, and also Chomper's assessment that Bradley would appear to play best in a 5-man midfield. With the size of our squad, we cannot afford a central midfielder who is so tactically limiting. For me, a central midfielder must be either solid or creative. Bradley falls short on both fronts. Josh O'Keefe must be wondering why the manager bought him, and what Bradley has to do to allow him to get a chance.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:43 am

boris the saddler wrote:I dae go today (gets ready to be shot down in flames) but I was personally quite chuffed with Hutch and o'Connor as a managenent team and with the signings we made, not least Baby Boy who is clearly a class above. Parkin looked worth a look and Richards has pedigree.

We should have beaten Swindon. We should have won today. With a bit more luck, and perhaps some better decisions from the manager I fully accept, we'd be sitting right in there in the top six. As it is we we mid table. Hardly a disaster is it? We've had some great times as fans in recent years...maybe we've been a touch spolit and expect too much for a small club with just 3,500 (+500 stayaways) fans ?

Which game were you watching? If ever a team went away wondering how they hadn't won, it must be Carlisle. They should have had a nailed on penalty first half when Hughes held their forward back, Dobie missed the most open of open goals just before half time and they were victims of possibly the worst refereeing decision I've seen this season, when he didn't give the adavantage when they had a player away, clear and with only the keeper to beat, in order to give them a free kick in their own half! I wouldn't have complained if we'd lost 3 or 4 - 1 yesterday

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:13 am

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:18 am

I agree with nearly the comments above, but I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that our best player was sitting on the bench.

Manny Smith has played well in every match he has started this season - and been man-of-the-match in many of them. Hughes is OK as a reserve, but has some definite weaknesses as a defender. McDonald is fine defensively, but his passing is worse than that of Ian Roper on a bad day. We were told that Smith was fit, so unless he was not actually match fit and only on the bench in case of emergency (despite Hutchings saying a few weeks ago that he had five fit centre halves) then he should have started and we would have been a better team with him in the side.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:46 am

boris the saddler wrote:I dae go today (gets ready to be shot down in flames) but I was personally quite chuffed with Hutch and o'Connor as a managenent team and with the signings we made, not least Baby Boy who is clearly a class above. Parkin looked worth a look and Richards has pedigree.

3500 and 500 stayaways.
You are stupid afterall.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:47 am

Bernie wrote:I agree with nearly the comments above, but I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that our best player was sitting on the bench.

Manny Smith has played well in every match he has started this season - and been man-of-the-match in many of them. Hughes is OK as a reserve, but has some definite weaknesses as a defender. McDonald is fine defensively, but his passing is worse than that of Ian Roper on a bad day. We were told that Smith was fit, so unless he was not actually match fit and only on the bench in case of emergency (despite Hutchings saying a few weeks ago that he had five fit centre halves) then he should have started and we would have been a better team with him in the side.

Because, Bernie, Hutchings seems to work from the "Janet and John" book of football management and rule one is don't change a winning side. Personally, I don't subscribe to that, as it should read "don't change a winning side unless you have a good reason to do so"

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:49 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:3500 and 500 stayaways.
You are stupid afterall.

Yeah, because there are probably only about 100 stayaways.

:)

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:04 am

First half was poor from both teams.

Second half, we were decent in spells. When we actually got the ball down and passed it, we looked good. (How Jones's goal ame about). However, all to often we lump it and hope for the best.

Mattis deserved MOTM imo. Battled all the way through, touch tackling and got his foot on the ball to pass it. Shame the rest of the midfield decided to go walkies.

Bradley, a shadow of the player he was under Money. Seems to be lacking confidence for no reason. Time to give O'Keefe a go.

Richards. The weak link of the team. He realy is p!ss poor. No attacking sense what-so-ever. He can't pass, he can't shoot, he can't tackle, he can't cross, he's got no pace. Hutch, PLAY JONES INSTEAD!

The defence was decent yesterday all across the back. Only a couple of lapses in concentration which let us down.

Upfront, we seemed to struggle but that was down to the non-existant midfield. Did their best off scraps.
Nicholls, feel sorry for him. Give him the ball to his feet with a bit of space (like we did at Tranmere) and he'll cause problems. But once again today we just didn't give him the ball.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Zippy wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:3500 and 500 stayaways.
You are stupid afterall.

Yeah, because there are probably only about 100 stayaways.

I'm sure there is - in your world.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Have to agree with Bernie's comments regarding Mannie Smith.If fit which he must be if selected for the bench why didn't he start ahead of hughes who was poor yesterday?
Again I totally agree with most posters regarding Bradley and Richards.Bradley could not even find another red shirt with 10 yard passes and Richards is probably the most one footed player iv'e ever seen.
They are supposed to be professional footballers?It begs the question --what the hell do they do all week at our state of the art training ground?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:46 pm

m&m wrote:Have to agree with Bernie's comments regarding Mannie Smith.If fit which he must be if selected for the bench why didn't he start ahead of hughes who was poor yesterday?
Again I totally agree with most posters regarding Bradley and Richards.Bradley could not even find another red shirt with 10 yard passes and Richards is probably the most one footed player iv'e ever seen.
They are supposed to be professional footballers?It begs the question --what the hell do they do all week at our state of the art training ground?

To be fair, Hughes hasn't been "poor" the rest of the season and he is the Captain. If you were going to bring Smith back, then MacDonald would be the choice to go, on the basis of he is returning to Man City. However, I don't think Man City would have let him come unless he was virtually guaranteed to play, to get the experience.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Just seen a replay of the goals. Their equaliser was a very poor goal to conceed.a. the ball should have been smashed into row z when we had the chance to. b. He should never have been allowed to cross that ball. Where were the midfield? c.What was McDonald doing being so far out from the goal mouth, he was marking a square yard of empty grass.d.Hughes who I have said earlier is not as good as Manny should have got to that ball first. He wasn't watching the ball and got caught in two minds. When Manny is fit he has to start. Had Manny and McDonald been the defense we would have won, I'm sure of that.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Few poeple been knocking Hughes which i thinks abit unfair, our defence has no defensive cover from the midfield, apart from Mattis who trys his best but he cant do it alone, if you watch Hughes i think he's a good captain he trys his best to organise the team, remember these guys hardly know each other, we need Taundry back to give abit more tenasity in the middle, people are slating Richards but he's played most his carrear in the centre of the park and now his lack of pace i being badly exploited on the left with Vincent who has no pace either, Jones must start on the left at MK but i bet Hutchings wont, you expect when O'Conners Pal Till is fit Nicholls will be dropped too, how longs he out for ?

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:46 pm

I'm not knocking Hughes here, but in my opinion Manny should play ahead of him purely for the reason that Manny & McDonald seem to have a good partnership together.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Well sat was Mcdonalds last game wasnt it

scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Carlisle (H) League 1 Saturday 3/10/09

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:56 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Well sat was Mcdonalds last game wasnt it

Hutch said we've got him for another month at least

Previous