Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield (H) League 1 Tuesday 29/9/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Huddersfield Tuesday 29th September

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 pm

Oh yes i forgot to add to my little review .... That was nowhere near a penalty .... his arms where covering his chest and he couldnt move them out the way!

Who ever disagree's is wrong FACT!

Ref was awful tonight ..... gave us free kicks for no reason half the time

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Oh ar it was never a penno, did it even touch his hand :? :lol:

Who cares :mrgreen:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 pm

latviancheese wrote:Oh ar it was never a penno, did it even touch his hand :? :lol:

Who cares :mrgreen:

:lol: haha im not complaining .... just an awful decision

We need a bit of luck though :)

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Been up tonight, couldn't believe we got 3 points out of that game if i'm honest, the penalty to me was very harsh on Huddersfield but i'd have taken anything to get at least a draw today.

Rene - Steady with whatever came at him today, could do nothing about the goal was just stupid defending, made a top save towards the end.
Weston - Perhaps showed what Westlake lacks which is a cool head throughout the game and obviously experience but it will come for the lad.
Hughes & Macdonald - Both was reasonable solid just a very poor goal given to them, Hughes made 1 unbelievable tackle towards the end.
Vincent - Gives the opposition to much time and space, no pace, doesn't pass particularly well, i'd give Sansara a go imo.
Nicholls - Anonymous most of the game, had 1 bright 10 minute spell in the 2nd half.
Bradley - Absolute rubbish, didn't get involved with a single thing, completely different player to when we 1st saw him.
Mattis - Work hard,battle and scored a fantastic goal.
Richards - i think it's quite obvious now about how he played tonight lol, i don't think i've seen a performance as bad as his tonight by any player since watching Walsall, he nearly gifted them a goal.
Deeney - Didn't seem with it tonight, ran around but to no effect.
Byfield - Easily motm, ran his socks off and was the only player looking to create things.

Parkin - Ran around and caused a few problems and did well to set up Mattis for the winner, hopefully we get that of him more often.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Great result, and the sort I desperately hope can turn things around for us at home. The performance however, could only be described as patchy.

Why it took a dodgy penalty decision to get us to start playing though, I'll never know. We lacked ideas and more significantly, any bottle before that decision. Whilst I thought the back four looked fairly solid, Mattis was playing on his own in midfield and even he didn't get involved as much as he probably would have liked. On the plus side, Byfield's running allowed us to at least get sustained periods of time with the ball in their half. That came about by virtue of his pure effort rather than any service coming from those playing behind him though.

What disappoined me was the way Bradley, Nicholls, Richards and Deeney went through the motions before Byfield scored the penalty. We were never going to be able to pass them off the park, but not even looking bothered is inexcusable. Fortunately, they started to buck their ideas up once we'd scored which should now set a standard for future performances. I still maintain that Bradley doesn't contribute anywhere near enough to justify a place in the middle of midfield though.

As has been mentioned already, Parkin did well to nod the ball down to Mattis for the winner. He deserves credit for more than just that though. Having come on to the sound of jeers and boos from a fair few morons, he put himself about, made himself available for the ball every time we had it in midfield and crucially came up with a composed header to effectively win us the game. I wouldn't start him ahead of Deeney or Byfield at the moment, but he can offer us something different off the bench, which is what we need.

Hopefully, now we've ended that awful record at home, we'll start to play with a bit more courage and bottle.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:32 pm

A very pleasing result (a home win!) - but an abject performance until the last 15 minutes or so, especially from the midfielders, all four of whom were diabolical. Gilmartin made a couple of good saves, Huddersfield missed a couple of sitters, their fans will not be happy at all. Credit to Gilmartin, Byfield in patches and Super Sam Parkin, who showed more zip in his 10 minutes (or whatever it was) than any of our other players had showed in the previous 80. Hopefully the result will inspire us to go on a decent run.

I was particularly pleased to hear the level of tactical nous shown by Hutchings in his shouting from the sideline. When we had a corner, he was desperately trying to attract the attention of the corner taker (Richards), and when he eventually got one of our subs to make him listen, the truly radical thing that Hutchings had so urgently wanted to pass on was "Try to get it past the first defender!" Valuable advice indeed (though sadly not acted upon).

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
fensaddler wrote:Well b****r me sideways. Sheff will be so miserable - nothing to moan about. It'll be quiet on here tonight, all the trolls will be hiding under their stones. Up to 10th, and 2 points off the play offs, and a home win - and against Huddersfield! Who'da thought it?

We beat a team who had scored 1 goal in last 3 games. And totalled 2 points in last 9.
They have worst away record of top 11.
There as bad as us.
Anything but a win would have been a shocking result.

Fool

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:37 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
fensaddler wrote:Well b****r me sideways. Sheff will be so miserable - nothing to moan about. It'll be quiet on here tonight, all the trolls will be hiding under their stones. Up to 10th, and 2 points off the play offs, and a home win - and against Huddersfield! Who'da thought it?

We beat a team who had scored 1 goal in last 3 games. And totalled 2 points in last 9.
There as bad as us.

Fool

I am afraid all my statements are true, your the fool I am afraid!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:38 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
ShyTallKnight wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

There as bad as us.

Fool

You are a fool sheff

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:40 pm

scott_powell wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
ShyTallKnight wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

There as bad as us.

Fool

You are a fool sheff

In your opinion, but I am corect. FACT!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:46 pm

Your facts are right.

But you seem to forget they are top of the goalscoring charts and we are probably near the bottom. Yet we outscored them.

So stop being a miserable fool and enjoy the win which you probably didnt even see

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:05 pm

At the start of the season i thought that richards had a few good games in centre midfield....i really dont like him on the left! Steve Jones is by far the better choice imo!

Keep the same team for the next game but for richards in the centre for bradley and jones on the left!

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 pm

can't say i enjoyed it, can't help but be negative, on another day we'd of been hammered, think we completly got away with that one!! Thankful for the 3 points, but very unimpressed with bradley (scared little boy), richards (not a left winger in a million years). We need some quality in that midfield very quickly

Trying to put my postive hat on regarding the performance Rene was solid (i missed his save at the end some how but overall impressed with his kicking and claiming crosses, weston was back to somthing like his best and byfield was a class above!!

P.S
anyone see parkin trying to fight the floors to go when we scored, followed by booting the ball into the crowd.
Last edited by saddlerJP on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 pm

yoda wrote:Sam Parkin could have scored but knocked it on for Mattis - Bangor will be happy!

Not as happy as me 8) A great assist but no goal means another 50p owed by BB. So a true win/win

Well done lads tonight, not the best performance but 3 points.

Yes I saw Parkin's reaction to the winner( I have to he's my hero :P ) Strutted towards the home fans in the pot noodle stand giving it large & then got hold of the ball & booted it into the middle of the Walsall blue pop mossive. Av it. PMSL.

What's the betting Whalley announces discounted season tickets are availbale from tomorrow :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:41 pm

saddlerJP wrote:can't say i enjoyed it, can't help but be negative, on another day we'd of been hammered, think we completly got away with that one!! Thankful for the 3 points, but very unimpressed with bradley (scared little boy), richards (not a left winger in a million years). We need some quality in that midfield very quickly

Trying to put my postive hat on regarding the performance Rene was solid (i missed his save at the end some how but overall impressed with his kicking and claiming crosses, weston was back to somthing like his best and byfield was a class above!!

P.S
anyone see parkin trying to fight the floors to go when we scored, followed by booting the ball into the crowd.

Even if he was "fighting" as you put it, i dont blame him the reception he got was a complete disgrace and walsall fans should be ashamed.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:57 pm

I agree Latvian. Anyone who booed or jeered Sam Parkin should be utterly ashamed of themselves - scum.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 am

Great result, delighted for the fans that were there.

Walsall fans deserve it.

Those that still go, totally fair play, hope you had a great night.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:22 am

Agree with latvian, phil and WFC_Rob about the players. Nicholls, Bradley, Deeney and Richards were poor. Mattis, Gilmartin and the excellent Byfield were most worthy of praise, although the back four did a solid enough job.

Finally we've got the home form hoo-doo off our back. Whether we can build on this remains to be seen. Our creative options look incredibly limited, as shown by a lack of substitutions even when we were under the kosh.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:02 am

WFC_Jimmy wrote:At the start of the season i thought that richards had a few good games in centre midfield....i really dont like him on the left! Steve Jones is by far the better choice imo!

Keep the same team for the next game but for richards in the centre for bradley and jones on the left!

Completely agree

And the boo boys are complete jokes!

I loved Parkins reaction :D Good on him

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:16 am

scott_powell wrote:
WFC_Jimmy wrote:At the start of the season i thought that richards had a few good games in centre midfield....i really dont like him on the left! Steve Jones is by far the better choice imo!

Completely agree

And the boo boys are complete jokes!

I loved Parkins reaction :D Good on him

It shows that he certainly has something to prove and a passion that maybe is lacking. Now the question is what do you do on saturday. Parkin or deeney? Would deeney benefit by being dropped or would he react badly.

NOTORIOUS_VIP

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:14 am

i still cant see hw richards is getting into the team ahead of Jones! seems like hutchings has a lil favourite. he has no pace as soon as he gets the ball he gets rid straight away he hasnt got much composure on the ball and cannot beat a man!!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:17 am

Bristol Fan wrote:I was particularly pleased to hear the level of tactical nous shown by Hutchings in his shouting from the sideline. When we had a corner, he was desperately trying to attract the attention of the corner taker (Richards), and when he eventually got one of our subs to make him listen, the truly radical thing that Hutchings had so urgently wanted to pass on was "Try to get it past the first defender!" Valuable advice indeed (though sadly not acted upon).

If that's tactical nous, then there were 3000 tactical geniuses in the crowd last night, 'cos everyone knows you need to get it past the first man. Trying a front post flick on occasionally is fine, but not every time.

How about Westons freekick towards the end? Shocking or what? About 10 yards closed to the goal than a corner, and it didnt even land in the penalty area. muppet.

benbo85

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:37 am

yes parkin

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:40 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:I was particularly pleased to hear the level of tactical nous shown by Hutchings in his shouting from the sideline. When we had a corner, he was desperately trying to attract the attention of the corner taker (Richards), and when he eventually got one of our subs to make him listen, the truly radical thing that Hutchings had so urgently wanted to pass on was "Try to get it past the first defender!" Valuable advice indeed (though sadly not acted upon).

If that's tactical nous, then there were 3000 tactical geniuses in the crowd last night, 'cos everyone knows you need to get it past the first man.

That was kinda my point!

You have to wonder what we do in training all week. It certainly doesn't seem to involve any set pieces. Our corners and free-kicks are awful and just how many more games are we going to go before one of our forward players actually moves a yard or two when we have a throw-in in the opposition's half?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:47 am

Parkinho!! Get in!!

Fantastic to finally win at home and break that ridiculous non-winning streak and anyone booing our own players should be thrown out of the ground.

PS - Sheff you seem to be confusing your dislike for JB (which I share) with a dislike of the team. As a supporter you should be pleased that we won.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:06 am

I wouldn't start with Parkin yet, give him 30 mins at the end of the game v Carlise, he looked sharp when he came on yesterday and hungry to prove people wrong, he looked like a useful option to come off the bench to give us a new dimension, wouldn't say he proved his critics wrong but he started. Agree with everything you say regarding the booing, disgracful

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:22 am

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:04 am

philthesaddler wrote:
How about Westons freekick towards the end? Shocking or what? About 10 yards closed to the goal than a corner, and it didnt even land in the penalty area. muppet.

That was the point when i started to laugh. The man can only deck it down the line aimleslly, mind you i thought he was pretty solid last night.

As for the next match, im not sure who'd id start, i would say Deeney but he couldnt even be bothered to chase it last night, so what is the point of him?

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:21 pm

after reading a lot of negative posts on here about the catering side i was surprised that i was served rather quickly and thet they still had balti pies on sale. Smaller than original ones i remember but very nice all the same

Macca
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Last night was my 2nd match of the season. We were poor but somehow we got the win. The way were playing is like sunday league football pass the ball a couple of times then launch it. Very Mullen like.

Richards was awful, the man can't pass a ball. How he's in the team over Jones i don't know. Bradley as i said after the leeds game isn't going to make the grade, the game just passes him by. O'keefe needs to be given a go. It also looks like Parkin has lost alot of weight from when i saw him last. Hopefully this will make him more mobile.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season