Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield (H) League 1 Tuesday 29/9/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Huddersfield Tuesday 29th September

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Looks to me as though Hughes rather than Vincent was the last man, Bern.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:28 pm

King Crimson wrote:Looks to me as though Hughes rather than Vincent was the last man, Bern.

Agreed, its very tight. He might be half a yard offside.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:21 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Looks to me as though Hughes rather than Vincent was the last man, Bern.

Agreed, its very tight. He might be half a yard offside.

Very tight indeed. So tight in fact, that I don't think it's fair to put their goal down to a linesman's mistake.
We keep playing a dangerous game at the back when we defend a really flat, high line. Had Alex Revell actually looked like he had half a clue for Swindon against us, he'd have bagged a couple of goals from our poor defending too.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:31 pm

I was not his greatest fan, but it looks as if we could do with a visit from Richard Money to organise our defence again. If Hutchings and O'Connor intend to keep this high offside line with no close marking or cover for much longer then, just when we are starting to show a bit more going forward, we are going to be shipping a lot of goals.

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:39 pm

why all this tosh about robinson being offside? Hughes was level with him thats ONSIDE -- like several people on here I think we got lucky with the pen, saying that I do feel Deeney was fouled in the first { didnt dive} so things even out I suppose .

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:44 pm

thickkearns wrote:why all this tosh about robinson being offside? Hughes was level with him thats ONSIDE

If Robinson was level with Hughes then the darker line must be parallel to the half way line. :?: I had assumed that the thinner line is more likely, which would put Robinson just ahead of Vincent, but well clear of Hughes, McDonald and Weston.

You can play around with lines, but I don't see how you could put a convincing line parallel to the half way line that has Robinson and Hughes level.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:49 pm

18 inches at most. Hardly surprising that he got it wrong though - the fella was quicker than quicksand.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Just out of interest regarding the deeney first half penalty incident. Always intersting to see what the oppo fans think.

http://www.thefootballforum.net/forums/ ... pic=175685.

Even they agree the first half deeney incident was a penalty and that it was only justice for us to get a penalty in the second

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Wasnt a penalty, just a foul and freekick ouside box imo

I dont know why we persisted with the offside trap it was about as good as a chocolate tea pot.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:32 am

Bernie wrote:
thickkearns wrote:why all this tosh about robinson being offside? Hughes was level with him thats ONSIDE

If Robinson was level with Hughes then the darker line must be parallel to the half way line. :?: I had assumed that the thinner line is more likely, which would put Robinson just ahead of Vincent, but well clear of Hughes, McDonald and Weston.

You can play around with lines, but I don't see how you could put a convincing line parallel to the half way line that has Robinson and Hughes level.

Nice to see that you are not taking the angle of which the assistant referee would have seen and taking it from the roof of the stand distorts the angle even further. You cannot tell if he is on or offside from there as the shot is not in line with play.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:40 am

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Nice to see that you are not taking the angle of which the assistant referee would have seen and taking it from the roof of the stand distorts the angle even further. You cannot tell if he is on or offside from there as the shot is not in line with play.

Sorry, mate, but just seen it on bbc.co.uk and he was well off!

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:06 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Dynamo Zuffle wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Did you see it from the angle of the assistant referee Neil? I doubt it very much the TV cameras distort it I state that you cannot tell that the player is on or offside from that angle.

As a referee myself I doubt any official would call it as off side from the angle the BBC are showing it.

Sorry, mate, but just seen it on bbc.co.uk and he was well off!

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:23 am

Bernie wrote:

I think you've got your lines wrong... If you copy the halfway line, and drag and paste it accross to the last defender (bottom of the screen), you will see that its a much tighter decision.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:21 pm

He's off

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:19 pm

At least we seem poised to win the impromptu game of tag that sprang up on the half-way line. This sort of thing used to happen during my son's Saturday morning game, but about a year ago when most of the players turned five they managed to start focussing on the football. I would say the bloke lying on his belly is definitely ON, or certainly about to be.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:18 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:At least we seem poised to win the impromptu game of tag that sprang up on the half-way line. This sort of thing used to happen during my son's Saturday morning game, but about a year ago when most of the players turned five they managed to start focussing on the football. I would say the bloke lying on his belly is definitely ON, or certainly about to be.

:D

So the mystery of why Bradley hardly ever touches the ball is explained - he is playing tag.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:29 am

Bernie wrote:So the mystery of why Bradley hardly ever touches the ball is explained - he is playing tag.

He's hoping to take the title as Club Champion. There's been a vacancy since Dean Keates left. :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:51 am

Bernie wrote:I was not his greatest fan, but it looks as if we could do with a visit from Richard Money to organise our defence again. If Hutchings and O'Connor intend to keep this high offside line with no close marking or cover for much longer then, just when we are starting to show a bit more going forward, we are going to be shipping a lot of goals.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season