Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield (H) League 1 Tuesday 29/9/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
yoda
Site Addict

Re: Huddersfield Tuesday 29th September

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Sam Parkin could have scored but knocked it on for Mattis - Bangor will be happy!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 pm

heeeeheeeeeeheeee get in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

Good performance too - well done

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:41 pm

Well b****r me sideways. Sheff will be so miserable - nothing to moan about. It'll be quiet on here tonight, all the trolls will be hiding under their stones. Up to 10th, and 2 points off the play offs, and a home win - and against Huddersfield! Who'da thought it?

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:41 pm

From 1 point off the drop to 2 points off the playoffs :?

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Cracking result.

Im away for the next two matches, might be in automatic places when I get back :twisted:

NOTE TO ALL PARKIN BASHERS- He got an assist. :wink:
Last edited by Jockey on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:48 pm

Cor blimey O'Reilly, shiver me timbers, and who'd have thought it?

A very unexpected win, but very very welcome and much-needed. Of the two home games, I expected nowt tonight and maybe a win on Saturday vs Carlisle, so what goes and happens? WE win, and Carlisle get an unlikely point at Leeds!

Now we need to make sure we don't waste this result when we play Carlisle on Saturday, and follow up with a second home victory - everything crossed for that!

Albion get stuffed at Barnsley too - it's a funny ol' game. :D

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Sweet!

Bet Mattis loved that, ex terrier .

Get in Nice one Saddlers!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Well done the lads. The 2,830 Saddlers who were there certainly deserved it.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:58 pm

1st time in the ground for a long time. Well i enjoyed the game. My voice is a little hoarse. Had a good sing. Not exactly like the old time's but i enjoyed it non the less. Even wore my old signed choice personnel home shirt on for a little nostalgia. And a win to boot. Just a pity about the 4 fifa pro licenced coaches stood behind me giving it what not and even booing parkin when he came on.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:05 pm

stonesaddler wrote:1st time in the ground for a long time. Well i enjoyed the game. My voice is a little hoarse. Had a good sing. Not exactly like the old time's but i enjoyed it non the less. Even wore my old signed choice personnel home shirt on for a little nostalgia. And a win to boot. Just a pity about the 4 fifa pro licenced coaches stood behind me giving it what not and even booing parkin when he came on.

Idiots. I bet they felt daft when he set up the winner

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Jockey wrote:
stonesaddler wrote:1st time in the ground for a long time. Well i enjoyed the game. My voice is a little hoarse. Had a good sing. Not exactly like the old time's but i enjoyed it non the less. Even wore my old signed choice personnel home shirt on for a little nostalgia. And a win to boot. Just a pity about the 4 fifa pro licenced coaches stood behind me giving it what not and even booing parkin when he came on.

No we didnt boo him, we booed the decision. Taking on Byfield that won MOTM easily. Best player on the pitch. It took till the 75th min to make a sub.

Well done to Parkin, came on, ran his socks off and got an assist.

Well done walsall!

The future looks bright :|

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:11 pm

Jockey wrote:

Funnily enough they left not long after.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:13 pm

fensaddler wrote:Well b****r me sideways. Sheff will be so miserable - nothing to moan about. It'll be quiet on here tonight, all the trolls will be hiding under their stones. Up to 10th, and 2 points off the play offs, and a home win - and against Huddersfield! Who'da thought it?

We beat a team who had scored 1 goal in last 3 games. And totalled 2 points in last 9.
They have worst away record of top 11.
There as bad as us.
Anything but a win would have been a shocking result.

motty
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:15 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
Jockey wrote:

No we didnt boo him, we booed the decision. Taking on Byfield that won MOTM easily. Best player on the pitch. It took till the 75th min to make a sub.

Well done walsall!

you booed as a player came on? Go an support the wolves please you would fit in.PATHETIC

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:15 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
fensaddler wrote:Well b****r me sideways. Sheff will be so miserable - nothing to moan about. It'll be quiet on here tonight, all the trolls will be hiding under their stones. Up to 10th, and 2 points off the play offs, and a home win - and against Huddersfield! Who'da thought it?

We beat a team who had scored 1 goal in last 3 games. And totalled 2 points in last 9.
There as bad as us.

Are you on drugs Sheff?? OK their form hasnt been great but they spent over 1.2m quid in the summer and have one of the most fearful striking partnerships in the leage. Beating Huddersfield tonight is our biggest achievement of the season so far.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:18 pm

just got back, taking off byfield was ridiculous, but in the end it worked as Parkin set up the winner.

Gilmartin - was the match winner tonight, what a ridiculous save at the end, and eased pressure with catches. Ince is nowhere near the team at the moment.
Weston - kept hoofing the ball again, but had a good game imo.
Vincent -too slow, but not all that bad.
Macdonald - Beast, but caught out of place a few times with our completely useless offside trap.
Hughes- As above but cant head a ball.
Richards- The worst player ive seeen in a long long time at walsall, he might have a decent left foot butt hes absolutley USELESS.
Nicholls - Forgot he was playing until he had a bright spell towards the end, in which he played well.
Mattis - better of an awful midfield, good strike at the end.
Bradley - Awful awful awful. You see he can do it for about 30 seconds in each half, then he dissapears again.
Deeney - Huffed and puffed but largely crap.
Byfield- Deserve MOTM, only player with any real pace, only player with any skill.

Subs

Parkin - actually had a bright ten odd minutes, the manager has got him all wrong. Feet, not head please.
Jones- Timewasting sub, should of been on earlier mind.

Im still not very convinced by Hutchings, we needed a sub way way earlier, bradley off and richards off for jones or similar. Huddersfeild murdered us at times because they had pace. We also didnt keep the ball for more than 2 minutes because of this insistence of hoofball, when it doesnt work because Deeney cor head a ball. We were crying out for a sub, he reminds of mullen, everyone can see it but him.

Overall, a crud game, but actually quite entertaining at the end. Not the worst atmosphere either. I dont care about Bonser, ive actually enjoyed myself tonight.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Despite the win, that was a dire performance.

Richards was atrocious, Bradley was so anonymous he didnt deserve to have a name on his shirt. Nicholls was poor, Mattis battled. Overall, the midfield was simply dreadful.

The service to the front men was poor all night.

Thought Huddersfield were quite poor given their league position.

2nd half we had one shot, and that went in. Good goal, but then we did our very best to commit result-suicide, 'comic defending' doesn't come close to describing it.

Attendance was 3,400, with probably 3-400 from Huddersfield so that was poor also.

3 points but the signs aren't very good.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:22 pm

caught_u_red_handed wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
Jockey wrote:

Well done walsall!

you booed as a player came on? Go an support the wolves please you would fit in.PATHETIC

No i didnt boo, im saying we as in supporters like some booed.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:23 pm

Just back from the game and we were lucky, VERY lucky, were awful at the back at times and the midfield is just as bad, why Hutchings took Byfield off was crazy, que the loud celebration when he was giving the man of the match award even after being off the field for 5 to 10 mins, even after we'd scored Richards nearly singled handedly gave them and equaliser. Who'd a thought Mattis would score the winner against his home team, he desereved it after putting a very good shift in tonite against a very tenacious Huddersfield midfield.

A very good win tonite, but make no mistake people we were lucky tonite, we need to beat Carlisle now to get the cofidence back and people will be talking about play offs agen. :lol:
Last edited by bleed_red_n_white on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:24 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

There as bad as us.

They was scoring for fun but had a bad run, it dont mean it was a easy game. But you wouldnt know becuase you never travel to see us play do you. :roll:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 pm

I just cant get over how awful richards is.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:29 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

There as bad as us.

They was scoring for fun but had a bad run, it dont mean it was a easy game. But you wouldnt know becuase you never travel to see us play do you. :roll:

1. I have better things to do with my money.
2. Ever tried getting from Sheffield to Walsall in 1 hour 15 minutes on the A38 at peak time. (We dont all live within 10 minutes, prat).

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:29 pm

latviancheese wrote:just got back, taking off byfield was ridiculous, but in the end it worked as Parkin set up the winner.

Gilmartin - was the match winner tonight, what a ridiculous save at the end, and eased pressure with catches. Ince is nowhere near the team at the moment.
Weston - kept hoofing the ball again, but had a good game imo.
Vincent -too slow, but not all that bad.
Macdonald - Beast, but caught out of place a few times with our completely useless offside trap.
Hughes- As above but cant head a ball.
Richards- The worst player ive seeen in a long long time at walsall, he might have a decent left foot butt hes absolutley USELESS.
Nicholls - Forgot he was playing until he had a bright spell towards the end, in which he played well.
Mattis - better of an awful midfield, good strike at the end.
Bradley - Awful awful awful. You see he can do it for about 30 seconds in each half, then he dissapears again.
Deeney - Huffed and puffed but largely crud.
Byfield- Deserve MOTM, only player with any real pace, only player with any skill.

Subs

Parkin - actually had a bright ten odd minutes, the manager has got him all wrong. Feet, not head please.
Jones- Timewasting sub, should of been on earlier mind.

Im still not very convinced by Hutchings, we needed a sub way way earlier, bradley off and richards off for jones or similar. Huddersfeild murdered us at times because they had pace. We also didnt keep the ball for more than 2 minutes because of this insistence of hoofball, when it doesnt work because Deeney cor head a ball. We were crying out for a sub, he reminds of mullen, everyone can see it but him.

Overall, a crud game, but actually quite entertaining at the end. Not the worst atmosphere either. I dont care about Bonser, ive actually enjoyed myself tonight.

Would agree with most of those. However towards the end i thought byfield was out of steam as he seemed to take an age getting back from offside position's and yes he ran his socks off but as the only outlet he needs to track back to an onside position. I feel the timing was right. Deeny should start to look over his shoulder if parkin pleases in the reserves.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:32 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

There as bad as us.

2. Ever tried getting from Sheffield to Walsall in 1 hour 15 minutes on the A38 at peak time. (We dont all live within 10 minutes, prat).

1. why support a club u see how many times a season? once?
2. Why dont you try to go to a match once every couple of months? wouldnt really hurt you.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:35 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

There as bad as us.

1. why support a club u see how many times a season? once?
2. Why dont you try to go to a match once every couple of months? wouldnt really hurt you.

1. Because I do, just like many other people do on this board. Got a problem with that?
2. I have better things to do with my money. I could have in fact go to Swindon match for nothing. But still couldnt be bothered. We have a donkey in charge and play useless football. (see above posts on thread in regards the useless football).

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:36 pm

Better than saturday as there were some re-deeming features. Byfield was excellent, his pace & touch are a fantastic asset to the team. Weston was very good and got forward as well, mattis put in a solid shift and had played well before his superb left footed strike. Gilmartin was very good, good kicking,good commanding for once & one brillant save near the end. Hughes and Macdonald were solid, but both got caught on a couple of occasions.

On another note. Richards did absolutely nothing right other than his cross, bradley leaves mattis exposed and makes his shift harder, by simply doing absolutely NOTHING. Vincent is paceless and got caught in no mans land for the goal and sadly troy was very poor. Nicholls was quiet, but did well near the end.

Thought huddersfield looked poor considering they were the top scoreers in the FL up until recently, but you can see that when they click they'll be a very good side, robinson was very impressive and took his goal well IMO.

Onwards and upwards now, another 3 points saturday please. This is Walsal lthough, so i shant be expectant.

:D

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:36 pm

Troy Deeney for me just doesnt look the part, ok he might not get the luck of the draw sometimes with chances, but for majority of the time he doesnt even look like he's gunna score, if he's gunna be our main man he need a presence alongside him, Byfield is a hell of an improvement though as is our best player at the moment but gets muscled of the ball way to easily sometimes, i still think we badly miss ether Jabo or Ricketts upfront.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Glad we got 3 points, but can think of very little to admire in that performance. MOTM - Rene Gilmartin for keeping us in it at the end despite the others trying to gift an equaliser.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Credit has to go out to rene tonight! He was superb! That save was top draw! Id like to hear what the rene haters think?

Richards was awful
Mcdonald was solid but is awful with the offside trap
Byfield was outstanding
Bradely was poor
Mattis played ok, good finish
weston played much better
vincent was steady
hughes was pretty solid
nicholls was non existant
deeney was ok

Parkin played well
Jones should of come on earlier

Average performance from us .... Huddersfield were poor

im happy :)

motty
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
caught_u_red_handed wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
Jockey wrote:

Well done walsall!

No i didnt boo, im saying we as in supporters like some booed.

Oh ok well i am a supporter and i certainly didn't boo.

Byfield isn't fully fit yet and Parkin quite clearly is.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season