Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 19/07/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 19/07/09

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:04 pm

First game of the season for me and I was really impressed with the standard of football on display.

There were many positives including the passing and movement, workrate and the shape of the team. With better finishing, and more importantly, better decision making with the final pass and we would no doubt be celebrating a comprehensive victory.

There were numerous times when a look up would surely have resulted in a different decision, but I think that this is a good problem to have.

As it turned out, instead we could easily have lost as Swindon had arguably the clearest cut chances (Hughes off the line, open goal miss at the start of the second half and a missed pen). From the F2G, I thought the first appeal (for the one he did not give) was a good shout and I am sure it must have influenced the ref to give the first penalty.

I did not think, however, that Hutchings responded too well when Swindon started to get on top. I assume Deeney took a knock. otherwise why change the front two? He may have been better to have replaced Bradley with fresh legs.

The pick of the players for me were Byfield, Westlake, McDonald and Nicholls. Of the starting eleven, only Bradley really disappointed.

I am not going to insult Parkin, but I do not see what he added to the team at all. He huffed and puffed but seemed to be a yard or two off the game.

I thought the atmosphere was helped by the decent number of away fans, but I noticed a big difference from my last visit to the Bescot.

All in all a very entertaining afternoon thanks to both teams trying to play good football.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Bernie wrote:
boris the saddler wrote:On today's performance we look like a top ten side.

I agree if the table is done on the first half. Second half we wasnt the best but thats all because of CH.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:18 pm

A game of two halves.

We should have been 1-0 up after 17 seconds and 4 or 5 by HT. However at the break we were only 1-0 up and it cost us.

First half, fantastic. They couldn't get near us and we played attacking football.

Second half, completely the opposite.

MOTM: Byfield. fantastic again, constant threat upfront.

As for their penalty claims:
1. Clear as day (but the ref didn't give it)
2. Definate penalty
3. Very harsh. Hughes slid to the ball and didn't intentionally handle it.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:A game of two halves.

We should have been 1-0 up after 17 seconds and 4 or 5 by HT. However at the break we were only 1-0 up and it cost us.

First half, fantastic. They couldn't get near us and we played attacking football.

Second half, completely the opposite.

MOTM: Byfield. fantastic again, constant threat upfront.

As for their penalty claims:
1. Clear as day (but the ref didn't give it)
2. Definate penalty
3. Very harsh. Hughes slid to the ball and didn't intentionally handle it.

The hughes pen wasn't harsh .... He slid in, both arms up, stopped a cross from getting into the danger zone, clear pen

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:42 pm

A very entertaining game --at last with many goalscoring opportunities for both teams.3/4-0 at half time would not have flattered us.

My issue is with our manager.Why the hell bring on that carthorse for Deeney?Even carrying a knock he could have won us the game!grigg would have been a far better option.If youv'e lost it youv'e lost it! End of!

Only by pure luck have we regained any goalscoring threat (Tills injury).Without this he would still be in ahead of Nicholls -bizarre!

It isn't that difficult Hutchings just play the best team.Very frustrating!

boris the saddler

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:35 pm

scott_powell wrote:
boris the saddler wrote:Good game, good performance, good atmosphere. A fair result between what looked like 2 decent sides.

We should have nailed it in the first half, we were outstanding. Baby Boy was a class above and they didn't cause us any real problems.

In such an open and entertaining game one goal never looked enough and so it proved to be.

But make no mistake, we are much improved. Swindon are a decent side and we will have too much for teams on that performance in the bottom third of the table.

Really enjoyed the excitement, some lovely football and a good atmosphere.

Annoying we didn't get the penalty at the end to snatch it, but overall, good.

The only negative thing I have to say is that Sam Parkin really is flob poor. Rather than slate him straight away I have waited to see if he improves. But its now clear he can't jump, his control is poor and he doesn't try particularly hard.

On today's performance we look like a top ten side.

Well done Mart and Hutch for taking us forward

Well done the fans for turning up and backing the boys

More please!

Atmostphere was below average & Hutchings took us one step back in the second half!

One superb half doesn't win a game!

Atmosphere - Hmm. Well, not sure what average is, but it was lively and loud where I was sitting. My daughter (8) said 'This is so loud dad, it's like people have got microphones!'. Or maybe that was just me shouting extra loud backing the lads (instead of moaning)

Game of 2 halves - yes your are right. But we played exceptional football for the fist 45, that must be a positive even for the negative people on here. I really enjoyed the skills, speed and incisiveness of our first half. A joy to watch.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:38 pm

boris the saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
boris the saddler wrote:Good game, good performance, good atmosphere. A fair result between what looked like 2 decent sides.

We should have nailed it in the first half, we were outstanding. Baby Boy was a class above and they didn't cause us any real problems.

In such an open and entertaining game one goal never looked enough and so it proved to be.

But make no mistake, we are much improved. Swindon are a decent side and we will have too much for teams on that performance in the bottom third of the table.

The only negative thing I have to say is that Sam Parkin really is flob poor. Rather than slate him straight away I have waited to see if he improves. But its now clear he can't jump, his control is poor and he doesn't try particularly hard.

More please!

Atmostphere was below average & Hutchings took us one step back in the second half!

Atmosphere - Hmm. Well, not sure what average is, but it was lively and loud where I was sitting. My daughter (8) said 'This is so loud dad, it's like people have got microphones!'. Or maybe that was just me shouting extra loud backing the lads (instead of moaning)

Game of 2 halves - yes your are right. But we played exceptional football for the fist 45, that must be a positive even for the negative people on here. I really enjoyed the skills, speed and incisiveness of our first half. A joy to watch.

Ok, Atmostphere was cack

Where was u sitting? Swindon end?

I agree thats the first half was a joy to watch though

boris the saddler

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:41 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:

I agree if the table is done on the first half. Second half we wasnt the best but thats all because of CH.

Maybe. But I think that is a bit harsh. Swindon are a good side and there was always a good chance they would come out at us in the 2nd half. They had quick and skillful players, no question. What did CH do wrong? What would you have done differently?

I think it was a case of two evenly matched sides, we totally dominated the 1st half and they were the better side in the 2nd. It;s football, it happens. It doesn't necesarily mean CH is a poor manager. The Deeney substituion was an injury I think.

I also think we were unlucky not to get a pen at the end. Byfield was in the area when impeded.

that said the first 'penalty' they didn't get looked nailed on to me...

boris the saddler

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:43 pm

scott_powell wrote:
boris the saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

More please!

Ok, Atmostphere was cack

I disgaree. I thought there was a good atmosphere, certainly the best for a while. I was downstairs behind the goal and loads of people were singing. Fair play to Swindomn, they backed their team really well and I think made a difference. Good game, some songs/noise it;s what football is all about.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:49 pm

boris the saddler wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Maybe. But I think that is a bit harsh. Swindon are a good side and there was always a good chance they would come out at us in the 2nd half. They had quick and skillful players, no question. What did CH do wrong? What would you have done differently?

I think it was a case of two evenly matched sides, we totally dominated the 1st half and they were the better side in the 2nd. It;s football, it happens. It doesn't necesarily mean CH is a poor manager. The Deeney substituion was an injury I think.

I also think we were unlucky not to get a pen at the end. Byfield was in the area when impeded.

that said the first 'penalty' they didn't get looked nailed on to me...

Well bringing Parkin on for deeney was a joke. Should of brought some legs on. Grigg? Jones?
Midfield needed to change. Should of gotJones on to run at em
Hutchings obviously told the players to sit back. Just plain stupid really.
I really do like hutchings, but he got it completely wrong in the second half. No plan b

And for the penalty claim the contact was outside the box and there wasn't much in it

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:52 pm

boris the saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
boris the saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

More please!

Ok, Atmostphere was cack

I disgaree. I thought there was a good atmosphere, certainly the best for a while. I was downstairs behind the goal and loads of people were singing. Fair play to Swindomn, they backed their team really well and I think made a difference. Good game, some songs/noise it;s what football is all about.

How can you disagree? I sit where all the singing starts in the lower floors to go. Im usually one who always sings. And it was below average. And average is pretty bad

NOTORIOUS_VIP

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:25 pm

i thought we played well in the 1st half, the weak link for me is matty richards, he has no pace whatsoever and cannot beat a man. why is Jones not playing?

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:30 pm

First game I've seen this seasons... Talk about a game of two halves.

1st - First 25 minutes, superb, high tempo, high back line, pressured them, attacked with pace, purpose and vigour. Went flat for 15 minutes then picked up the last 5... Overall, the front trio of Byfield, Deeney and Nicholls were fantastic, caused them all sorts of problems.

2nd - Complete opposite. No tempo, sat deep, sat off them and looked to defend. I give a lot of credit to Danny Wilson, his half time change was fantastic. He nullified the threat of Nicholls, meaning we had no outlet as Richards isn't a 'winger' or a 'wide midfielder', the introduction of MacNamee was superb. He caused Westlake some real problems and put him under pressure, he conceded one penalty and was look not to concede another. Could have seen red in my view for the penalty he conceded.

Hutchings seemed to have no idea how to react to their change in tactics, very disappointing. Obvious one was the introduction of Jones for Nicholls or Richards, make them think about a different threat. However I also feel for Hutchings as Jones aside, he had no obvious option to make a game changing substitution.

Then when Deeney is injured he brings on Parkin. In fairness to Parkin, he just isn't what we want or need. He is big and lumbering without being dominant in the air or the floor and his lack of mobility forced us to playing a 'hoof' game, from that point on we stood no chance. He should have, in hindsight, put Jones on the right wing and put Nicholls alongside Deeney, and concentrated on playing on the deck. From what I saw of Parkin, he isn't what we need and isn't what we want. Obviously he is low in confidence, but he doesn't suit our style and why on earth we signed him is beyond me.

We're lacking a presence in midfield I think, we lost that battle. We need someone to grab a game, a bit like Jon Douglas in the 2nd half today I thought.

Overall, frustrating, but we're a mid-table side and that was a mid-table performance.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks for the report Stu.
Sometimes there's nothing a manager can do if the oppo manager is really smart and rearranges things to snuff out your weapons and take advantage of your weaknesses for the second half.
Encouraging to hear the first half was quality....

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:54 am

scott_powell wrote:
boris the saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

More please!

Ok, Atmostphere was cack

Can we have a sponsors comment of the match please? Classic :mrgreen:

A good manager should always be able to do something that makes a difference, even if only a small one. Fair enough Deeney apparently had a knock but surely Jones would have been a better bet than Parkin, certainly in terms of working and worrying a tired defence. I don't know what CH has got against Jones but he doesn't seem to like him which as far as I am concerned is a pity cos he looks to me like one of if not the most creative player in the squad! Its CH's job to get that creativity working on the pitch.

Credit to Swindon though and it sounds like it was a good game. Gutsy performance against Norwich, played really well in patches against Tranny (admittedly helped by playing a team managed by John Barnes) and sounded like we played well first half today. Certinaly a lot better on the playing side than Accrington, Bury and Gillingham. All we need to do now is do it for an entire game, or heaven forbid 2 !

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:47 am

Stu's got it spot on. I remember Mullen standing statuesque for the final home game of the season when he did nothing as we threw away a 2-0 half time lead against Hartlepool to draw 2-2. They made changes at half time and we did nothing, even though to all and sundry it was clear that the game had turned, almost from kick-off. Their manager that day? Danny Wilson.

Asking Nicholls to defend against McNamee was a joke. Nicholls has quality, but steely defensive presence isn't one of them (as witnessed by at least two cases of wimping out of a tackle). Had he been fit, Taundry would have been an option to shore up that flank and provide Westlake with some protection. In any event, those substitutions, coupled with knocks to Deeney and McDonald, and Mattis being muzzled by a yellow card meant that, in my view, we were fortunate to escape with a point. Hutchings should have responded to Swindon's changes. He didn't. That's poor.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:08 am

Well it took 8 games, but finally made it to 12th place. Question is now....can we stay there.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:35 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:Well it took 8 games, but finally made it to 12th place. Question is now....can we stay there.

We was 10th last week :?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:37 am

matt-thesaddler wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:Well it took 8 games, but finally made it to 12th place. Question is now....can we stay there.

We was 10th last week :?

I know scary wasn't it? But we soon put that right.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:46 am

The referee was shocking yesterday, he turned them down a blatant penalty so gave them two to make up for the error, then bottled giving us one the 1st contact was outside the box but the lino flagged for a penalty. However Hutchings second half tactics cost us the game not the ref!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:31 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:I don't know what CH has got against Jones

Stu wrote:Obvious (change) was the introduction of Jones for Nicholls or Richards

Asps wrote:But Hutch won't play Jones because they've fell out.

Jones is injured.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm

I absolutely feel for a manager who has had all summer to sort it out but doesnt have any subs to make a difference in a game.
I thought thats why you had subs?
Absolute joke, once again Hutchings proves he is useless.
He certainly is getting that down to a tee!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:36 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

Stu wrote:Obvious (change) was the introduction of Jones for Nicholls or Richards

Jones is injured.

Fit enough to be on the bench

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Jones is injured.

So are you suggesting we have injured players on our subs bench? :roll:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:51 pm

King Crimson wrote:Stu's got it spot on. I remember Mullen standing statuesque for the final home game of the season when he did nothing as we threw away a 2-0 half time lead against Hartlepool to draw 2-2. They made changes at half time and we did nothing, even though to all and sundry it was clear that the game had turned, almost from kick-off. Their manager that day? Danny Wilson.

Asking Nicholls to defend against McNamee was a joke. Nicholls has quality, but steely defensive presence isn't one of them (as witnessed by at least two cases of wimping out of a tackle). Had he been fit, Taundry would have been an option to shore up that flank and provide Westlake with some protection. In any event, those substitutions, coupled with knocks to Deeney and McDonald, and Mattis being muzzled by a yellow card meant that, in my view, we were fortunate to escape with a point. Hutchings should have responded to Swindon's changes. He didn't. That's poor.

Agree competely - no pan B and it's now the third game running against Wilson up here that he's made changes and we've failed to react - twice with Hartlepool (Including Mullen's first game in charge the season before last) and once with Swindon. I've said that Hutchings is an improvement over Mullen, as Mullen was taking us down, but I'm now wondering whether Hutchings is capable of improving us, whih is what's needed.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:34 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:So are you suggesting we have injured players on our subs bench? :roll:

I wasn't suggesting anything, I was telling you a fact - he's carrying an injury. I don't know what emergency circumstances would necessitate him coming on, but unless we were absolutely desperate he would never have played. Just as he hasn't in any of the last 3 games, despite being on the bench.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Good first half, rubbish second half.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:15 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:So are you suggesting we have injured players on our subs bench? :roll:

I wasn't suggesting anything, I was telling you a fact - he's carrying an injury. I don't know what emergency circumstances would necessitate him coming on, but unless we were absolutely desperate he would never have played. Just as he hasn't in any of the last 3 games, despite being on the bench.

I'd question that. There have been matches this season where Hutchings hasn't used the full quota of subs, I think Brighton was one?

So why name an injured player, he obviously isn't fussed about filling the bench up if he hasn't got enough players? Further more, Hutchings didn't say he was injured after the game.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Banksy wrote:The referee was shocking yesterday, he turned them down a blatant penalty so gave them two to make up for the error, then bottled giving us one the 1st contact was outside the box but the lino flagged for a penalty. However Hutchings second half tactics cost us the game not the ref!

Sorry, going to pull you up on that one, the linesman did not flag for a penalty. The symbol for giving a penalty would be holding the flag across his chest, at no stage did he do this. He flagged immediately, but held it to indicate a free kick.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Well Hutch is no tactical genius that is for sure and as for his subs........................

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season