Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 19/07/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
saddlerJP
Glitterati

Re: Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 19/07/09

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:04 am

Even before the penalty that wasn't given you could see Swindon's plan was to target Westlake and they had him rattled, i'd have taken him off and replaced him with Western with 30 or so mins remaining, Bradley was once again missing in action, and should of been replaced by jones with richards moving into the middle during the 2nd half. Hutch did nothing making one forced sub bringing Sam "concrete boots" Parkin on, his substiutons have baffled me this season. Forget walsall 1 swindon 1 that was wilson 1 hutchings 0, completly changed swindon's approach in the second half and Hutchings did nothing to combat this

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:34 am

saddlerJP wrote:Even before the penalty that wasn't given you could see Swindon's plan was to target Westlake and they had him rattled, i'd have taken him off and replaced him with Western with 30 or so mins remaining, Bradley was once again missing in action, and should of been replaced by jones with richards moving into the middle during the 2nd half. Hutch did nothing making one forced sub bringing Sam "concrete boots" Parkin on, his substiutons have baffled me this season. Forget walsall 1 swindon 1 that was wilson 1 hutchings 0, completly changed swindon's approach in the second half and Hutchings did nothing to combat this

I can see a lot of teams doing that this season i have seen it happen to young players coming through .

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:22 am

Picked up where we left off at Tranmere then let it all slip away.... :(

On the issue of atmosphere....From the halfway line I heard the Walsall fans once.....pretty dire.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:47 am

The atmosphere is rubbish, has been bar the odd game since we lost the terrace, can't see it improving either, I sit lower tier and try my best but you get fed up of trying with only half a dozen joining in.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:32 am

saddlerJP wrote:Even before the penalty that wasn't given you could see Swindon's plan was to target Westlake and they had him rattled, i'd have taken him off and replaced him with Western with 30 or so mins remaining,

The trouble with taking off Westlake is that we have often seen Weston rattled when faced with a winger with pace and skill - and Westlake does not usually pass to row J of the stand.

Looking at the highlights http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm it is not all that obvious that either of the penalty shouts against Westlake were certain. I think that both players were looking for a penalty and went down with minimal contact. Hughes is complaining about the one given against him, but you can see that he was trying to block the cross - and since he stopped the ball it with his arm then that means it was a penalty.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Bernie wrote:
saddlerJP wrote:Even before the penalty that wasn't given you could see Swindon's plan was to target Westlake and they had him rattled, i'd have taken him off and replaced him with Western with 30 or so mins remaining,

The trouble with taking off Westlake is that we have often seen Weston rattled when faced with a winger with pace and skill - and Westlake does not usually pass to row J of the stand.

That was my attitude towards the suggestions during the game that Westlake should have been replaced by Weston too, Bernie.
Weston probably will be recalled at some point, but for about 12 months now I've seen little from him other than a lack of pace and absolutely shocking distribution. People can say what they like about McNamee putting us under pressure at the back, but not being able to keep posession of the ball when you've got it has the same effect.

As Stu said, the first 25 minutes was very good. I hadn't seen us start a match that well for a good few years, and we arguably should have scored after just 12 seconds.
The problem we've got is that we're not good enough when we haven't got the ball. Westlake, Nicholls and Bradley in particular don't have the awareness they probably should have in order to cope when the opposition are seeing more of the ball than we are. As a result, we see 9 of our 10 outfield players resorting to a retreat towards their own penalty area, and that further enhances the problem.
Byfield was in complete isolation for most of the second half, despite being our best player in the first.

The second half highlighted a problem which is difficult to prescribe a solution for.
Some criticise Hutchings for not doing enough tactically to resist Swindon's pressure. That however, requires players on the bench who can come on and make a difference.

Personally, I wouldn't underestimate the role Mattis plays in our side. King Crimson has picked up on it already, but that booking really did seem to stifle us. The 'in your face' nature of Mattis' game was taken away, and that makes a huge difference, particularly when he plays alongside Bradley who never seems to stamp any authority on the games he plays in my view.
We need someone to play alongside Mattis if we're going to stop these performances where we only play for 45 minutes. I'm not saying we could or should sign him, but Jonathan Douglas in their midfield looked the sort of player we're missing - someone who really can link defence and attack.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Bernie wrote:

That was my attitude towards the suggestions during the game that Westlake should have been replaced by Weston too, Bernie.
Weston probably will be recalled at some point, but for about 12 months now I've seen little from him other than a lack of pace and absolutely shocking distribution. People can say what they like about McNamee putting us under pressure at the back, but not being able to keep posession of the ball when you've got it has the same effect.

As Stu said, the first 25 minutes was very good. I hadn't seen us start a match that well for a good few years, and we arguably should have scored after just 12 seconds.
The problem we've got is that we're not good enough when we haven't got the ball. Westlake, Nicholls and Bradley in particular don't have the awareness they probably should have in order to cope when the opposition are seeing more of the ball than we are. As a result, we see 9 of our 10 outfield players resorting to a retreat towards their own penalty area, and that further enhances the problem.
Byfield was in complete isolation for most of the second half, despite being our best player in the first.

The second half highlighted a problem which is difficult to prescribe a solution for.
Some criticise Hutchings for not doing enough tactically to resist Swindon's pressure. That however, requires players on the bench who can come on and make a difference.

Personally, I wouldn't underestimate the role Mattis plays in our side. King Crimson has picked up on it already, but that booking really did seem to stifle us. The 'in your face' nature of Mattis' game was taken away, and that makes a huge difference, particularly when he plays alongside Bradley who never seems to stamp any authority on the games he plays in my view.
We need someone to play alongside Mattis if we're going to stop these performances where we only play for 45 minutes. I'm not saying we could or should sign him, but Jonathan Douglas in their midfield looked the sort of player we're missing - someone who really can link defence and attack.

Top post Rob.

When Deeney had to go off, I would have preferred to see Nichols pushed up front and Weston brought on as sub. He could have played just in front of Westlake & it might have staved off the relentless attacks down the Swindon left. Alternatively we could have brought Jones on. It was clear we had to do something there, but Hutch didn't react until long after the damage was done.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Asps wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Top post Rob.

When Deeney had to go off, I would have preferred to see Nichols pushed up front and Weston brought on as sub. He could have played just in front of Westlake & it might have staved off the relentless attacks down the Swindon left. Alternatively we could have brought Jones on. It was clear we had to do something there, but Hutch didn't react until long after the damage was done.

Fink Jones is injured mate, still i agree with what you say, but wasnt Mcdonald injured too & thats why Weston came on, whats happened too Manny?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:37 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
Asps wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Top post Rob.

think Jones is injured mate, still i agree with what you say, but wasnt Mcdonald injured too & thats why Weston came on, whats happened too Manny?

Jones was on the bench. Yes, Weston came on once McDonald was injured, but bringing on Parkin first was just a waste of a sub. We needed to do something on the Swindon left from 55 mins onwards. Assume Manny is injured or rested.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:03 pm

Asps wrote:Jones was on the bench. Yes, Weston came on once McDonald was injured, but bringing on Parkin first was just a waste of a sub. We needed to do something on the Swindon left from 55 mins onwards. Assume Manny is injured or rested.

I'd have brought Jones on, personally. He's of the same ilk a Nicholls as far as his style of play might be concerned, but actually tracks back and stops crosses. Surely if he was on the bench, he could have come on for 15 minutes?
As for Smith, I too heard he was injured on Saturday. Having said that though, given that he can only play at centre half, it probably wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that Hutchings could have left him out completely in favour of a bit more versatility on the bench.

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season