Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 19/07/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 19/07/09

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:08 pm

...And suddenly things are on the up! :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:14 pm

Attendance 4,148.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:24 pm

Is it July?

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Paynter misses penalty given away by Westlake according to BBC.

snapple
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:42 pm

WTF!!!

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Paynter scores second penalty, given for handball on Mark Hughes.

Howard Webb is the referee today :roll:
Last edited by Young_Tong on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Paynter has now scored from the spot. How many penalties do we want to give them :x ?

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:58 pm

1=1 FT

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:58 pm

1-1 at full time.

Keeps us firmly in midtable.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Would I have taken 1 point at the start of the game?
Yep!

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Disappointing, after a good first half.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:08 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:Go, Troy boy. Up to seventh, at mo.

Tumbled down to 12th in the space of a few minutes.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:08 pm

I would have taken a point from this game too, but still no home win this season and it's getting worrying. Having got our noses in front, and then missing chances to sew it up, it ends up as a major disappointment that once again we couldn't hang on.

I'm getting positively sick of hearing the expression "game of two halves" where it seems we only perform 100% for one of them. Once again today, as ever, and clearly we need to put full effort in for the whole 90 minutes.

Very interested to read reports from those who were there, to see if the match commentary was a fair reflection.

4,148 there apparently - with Swindon expected to bring a fairly good following, it seems RW's pathetic rallying cry received the response it deserved. Hopefully we can get a good 6-7k or more there for the Sir Ray Graydon presentation next month, and that might get the message through that the fans ARE around if the club gives them good reason to turn up.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:18 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I would have taken a point from this game too, but still no home win this season and it's getting worrying. Having got our noses in front, and then missing chances to sew it up, it ends up as a major disappointment that once again we couldn't hang on.

I'm getting positively sick of hearing the expression "game of two halves" where it seems we only perform 100% for one of them. Once again today, as ever, and clearly we need to put full effort in for the whole 90 minutes.

Very interested to read reports from those who were there, to see if the match commentary was a fair reflection.

4,148 there apparently - with Swindon expected to bring a fairly good following, it seems RW's pathetic rallying cry received the response it deserved. Hopefully we can get a good 6-7k or more there for the Sir Ray Graydon presentation next month, and that might get the message through that the fans ARE around if the club gives them good reason to turn up.

735 apparently, gs. That means only 300 or so took the club up on their offer.

SWS1

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:23 pm

What is it about us? Ever since Money left (no, I don't mean when Boner bought the stadium) we can't seem to hack it for two halves. It seems many other teams suss us out, change their tactics and thrive. Is this the case? Do we need a bit more INTELLIGENCE and guile from the manager??? We looked to have a decent bench today. No reason not to change tactics in response to the opposition. Disappointed.
:(

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Like i said on another topic, CH doesnt seem to know what hes doing. First half we we class but the second half they started betterand CH didnt change it. He brought Parkin on because of Deeney's injury but why not Grigg? I would of brought him on. My patients is startin to run thin with Hutchings now. Not lost in 5 but only 1 win. Not really the best of records. Not won at home since mid-march. But Hutchings has signed a new contract so he wont be leaving until the end of the season.

Im not saying CH out but he needs to change or we will be a boring mid table side.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Well Im afraid I am going to utter the ultimate Footy cliche because if ever a game encapsulated the phrase' 'a game of two halves' this was it. I feel like its a defeat because we should have been 4 - 0 up at half time and game over.
First half we were on fire, all over them.Passing intelligent moves, great fluidity and brimming with confidence.I thought please dont let us rue these lost chances and then half time came and of course things changed.
Yes Swindon were totally up for it and made changes.However we sat back way too much - Byfield did running with no -one up front at times with him.Nicholls so good in the first half was anonymous in the second and Bradley is just not at the races.Parkin just is no good - I counted one decent header and that was his total contribution.
Concerned with Deeney and Macdonald going off with injuries, hope its nothing too serious.
Plus points Rene played ok and played with confidence.Oh and the crowd did sing,occasionally!
We are still no where near a Play off Team and mid table mediocrity will be the best at this point we can hope for.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:05 pm

First half we were just awsome

Second half all i can say is hutchings got it completely wrong! Awful putting parkin on

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:08 pm

Not got much time but spot on Louise. I said at half time we were going to rue all those missed chances.

We sat further and further back second half and paid the price.

Why bring Parking Space on? Useless lump of ****. Noticed he went and applauded the Swindon fans at the end, if they love him so much they can take him back down there.

Will we ever win at home again?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:14 pm

scott_powell wrote:First half we were just awsome

Second half all i can say is hutchings got it completely wrong! Awful putting parkin on

Agree completely. Il give Hutchings untill after the Exeter game (17th october) if we havnt improved by then, then for me it will be Hutchings out.

It will be intresting that to see if we offer Byfield an extension that he deserves, if we offer Roberts a new contract at the end of the season that he doesnt deserve and if we offer Parkin a contract.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Very disspointing ending to a game that started well for the saddlers.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:03 pm

scott_powell wrote:First half we were just awsome

Yes Hutch got his subs utterly wrong again today.

We were being murdered down the left wing, so what does Hutch do? He brings on Donkey King - Parkin a Klondyke mine of a footballer.

Nicholls should have been pushed up front & Weston brought on for Deeney, By the time Weston did come on it was far too late - damage done already.

Richards was worn out and Jones should have been on, we'd lost the midfiled battle after 55 minutes.But Hutch won't play Jones because they've fell out.

Crass stupidity from a manager with experience in every division.

At least I saw Cyclo for a chat ,which was nice.
Last edited by Asps on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:05 pm

a game where we have thrown 2 points away for me but then we luckily held on for 1

first half was like a breath of fresh air to what weve been watching of late.
we got at them from the first minute and should have been 2 up in the first 5 minutes.
was nice to see the corner count rising quickly and a thorouglly deserved goal deeney latching onto a mistake by a swindon defender.
we played as though we were riding high of confidence and spawned chance after chance.
wasnt too worried at the time as we looked so comfortable i thought it was only a matter of time until the 2nd goal came.
half time and was very pleased with what id seen.
second half started and swindon started off on a mission.
was wave of attack after wave of attack and we were defending well.
then there was a push on their man in the box and i thought a certain penalty but the ref let us off the hook.
no sooner had we escaped that then he gave a penalty which i couldnt see if it was or not
the ball hit the post and rolled out for goal kick. then i thought the luck was with us.

then out the blue another penalty which again i couldnt see then they scored making it 1-1

earlier parkin came on for deeney and we seemed to just lob the ball over the top yet again and cut out both the wingers.
then came a decisive moment on a rare breakaway attack for walsall byfield looked clean through in the box when he was tugged back.
the linesman originally gave a penalty but the ref went over to talk to him.
he then after a lenghthy discussion changed the decision to a free kick 3 yards outside the box.
in my opinion an unbelievable decision which proabably cost us a chance to win the game.

the match petered out with 5 mins of injury time and all in all a feeling of frustration that we hadnt killed them off in the first half.
another wait for our first home win since leeds in march but were definatly better than a few weeks ago although parkin is not a footballer at all and id look at loaning him out as he needs some confidence back before id even put him in our threadbare squad.

good following and noisy from swindon we were pretty quite at times but hardly suprising with what we witnessed 2nd half.

one little point as we entered turnstyle my mate ripped his ticket out his season ticket book.
then some old steward barked at him thet he would need his book.
i replied we have our books were season ticket holders and then he went on vollying abuse at us that if we ever did that again we would be refused entry

another piece of walsall p.r that needs addressing as im pretty fed up with being treated like scum as ive been a season ticket holder for numerous years and queued at same turnstyle since ground was built.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:11 pm

It all started off so well.

Gilmartin: Did nothing wrong, kicking was better, but overall he was somehow still not really convincing.
Westlake: Fine in the first half and supported the attacks well. Question marks about his defending in the second half - could have given away two penalties.
Hughes: Fine.
McDonald: OK, but did not look extra special.
Vincent: OK defensively but adds nothing at all going forward. Our left side was weak partly as a result.
Nicholls: Looked really good in the first half - but he still freezes in front of goal - unless he can keep his head when given a chance he will struggle.
Mattis: Useful, played well throughout.
Bradley: OK, but not in the game enough.
Richards: Why is he on the wing? He cannot beat a full back, has no pace, and no class. Jones did OK on the left earlier in the season.

Subs:
Parking: Static and clueless.
Weston: Not called upon to do much.

Hutchings: Better team selection at last - but with Richards preferred to Jones there is still at least one issue unresolved. No idea how to change things in the second half when Swindon were on top.

boris the saddler

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:32 pm

Good game, good performance, good atmosphere. A fair result between what looked like 2 decent sides.

We should have nailed it in the first half, we were outstanding. Baby Boy was a class above and they didn't cause us any real problems.

In such an open and entertaining game one goal never looked enough and so it proved to be.

But make no mistake, we are much improved. Swindon are a decent side and we will have too much for teams on that performance in the bottom third of the table.

Really enjoyed the excitement, some lovely football and a good atmosphere.

Annoying we didn't get the penalty at the end to snatch it, but overall, good.

The only negative thing I have to say is that Sam Parkin really is p!ss poor. Rather than slate him straight away I have waited to see if he improves. But its now clear he can't jump, his control is poor and he doesn't try particularly hard.

On today's performance we look like a top ten side.

Well done Mart and Hutch for taking us forward

Well done the fans for turning up and backing the boys

More please!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:42 pm

boris the saddler wrote:Good game, good performance, good atmosphere. A fair result between what looked like 2 decent sides.

We should have nailed it in the first half, we were outstanding. Baby Boy was a class above and they didn't cause us any real problems.

In such an open and entertaining game one goal never looked enough and so it proved to be.

But make no mistake, we are much improved. Swindon are a decent side and we will have too much for teams on that performance in the bottom third of the table.

Really enjoyed the excitement, some lovely football and a good atmosphere.

Annoying we didn't get the penalty at the end to snatch it, but overall, good.

The only negative thing I have to say is that Sam Parkin really is flob poor. Rather than slate him straight away I have waited to see if he improves. But its now clear he can't jump, his control is poor and he doesn't try particularly hard.

On today's performance we look like a top ten side.

Well done Mart and Hutch for taking us forward

Well done the fans for turning up and backing the boys

More please!

Atmostphere was below average & Hutchings took us one step back in the second half!

One superb half doesn't win a game!

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Bradley must be playing in the last chance saloon now , for me he was never in the game even when we played so well in the first half. Parkin must be the worse signing for sometime, he is dreadful . Why is it everytime we play it lasts 45 mins only..!! the second half some of them dissapeared from the game !!

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:54 pm

First half was great to watch with enthusiastic, one-touch, classy stuff. Should have been at least 4-0 up at half time. They were obviously going to come out and have a go and we had too many who disappeared. Disappointing, as we were so much better than them over the 90 mins. The final straw was the jackass referee not sending off their defender when he pulled Byfield back at the end of the game. He just completely bottled it.

Positives to take form today were many compared the 0-0 with Gillingham.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Really dissappointed we didn't win. The first half was like watching Brazil. The second half was like watching The Wheatsheaf. My problem with todays performance does not lie with the players it lies with the management. No plan B, no awareness that they were walking through our midfield withease. That needed to be bolsted within the first 10 mins of the second half. Ok we missed lots of chances in the first half but the managers lack of tactical awareness lost the game in my opinion. Byfield and Deeney were really good. Thought we missed Manny today. Bradley was poor, lacking in confidence. Parkin is a conference player at best. It worries me that CH signed him, what was he thinking?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:02 pm

boris the saddler wrote:On today's performance we look like a top ten side.

I agree with you, assuming that you mean top ten of the fourth division.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season