Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 12/9/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
loop
UTS Veteran

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 12/9/09.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:59 pm

YES !!!! UTS :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

red until im dead

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Well done boys

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Well done lads. All we needed was a bit of creativity up front and in midfield.

Let's hope that Parkin and Till have a nice long holiday.

Where are all the Troy Deeney haters now?

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:03 pm

WELL DONE LADS!! :D

Walsall_fan1992
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Gutted i didn't go now.

John Barnes is a managerial genius, he managed to conceed three goals against Walsall :D

Nicholls assist for Deeney, keep him in!

Get in lads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UTS!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Much better, although we must have been helped by a 17 year old substitute goalkeeper making his debut for the Trannies in the second half.

UTS

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Till said on his facebook status he's got a torn hamstring.

Great result boys, three goals away from home and a win.

Only negative we conceeded two against a poor Tranmere side :mrgreen:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Onwards and upwards for the super saddlers

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:26 pm

I think we am finally turning the corner. 3 goals awat from home and only conceded 2 goals in 3 games.

Hope we can carry this on with a win at home to Swindon next week.

Well done lads!!

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Well done Walsall.!!!!!!

Hope our "FANS" can say the same.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Not bad :)

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:57 pm

Let face it, if we couldnt beat Tranmere we couldnt beat anyone! :roll:

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:09 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Let face it, if we couldnt beat Tranmere we couldnt beat anyone! :roll:

Do you only moan? Dont matter who we beat 3 points is 3 points.Like i said before, some fans are never pleased!

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:21 pm

I'm prepared to do motivational speeches on radio more often given last two performances following my gambit on WM.

Well done-expected nothing out of these two games and got four points-what do i know!!!??

And thank God that Nicholls got his chance!!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:27 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Let face it, if we couldnt beat Tranmere we couldnt beat anyone! :roll:

Do you only moan? Dont matter who we beat 3 points is 3 points.Like i said before, some fans are never pleased!

Do you only moan about people moaning?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:33 pm

scott_powell wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:

no just about sheff because all he does is moan

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:35 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:

no just about sheff because all he does is moan

I've seen a few of your posts and you moan about everyone else moaning. Gets a bit boring to be honest

Away from that though it's a great result today :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:36 pm

Poor first half, Asps and Blazing went to get a drink and up popped Byfield to slot it in :D It took Blazing so long to find the ground that he is probably still driving round now trying to find his way out of Birkenshed, get a sat nav you wally :mrgreen:

Much better 2nd half. Scored early then had a really good spell and could have got another. There second was an absolute screamer. Wasn't looking good for a while then Nicholls got away down the right, skinned their defender, he had so much time it would have been easy to make a mess of it but he waited and waited then perfect cross and GET IN!

Most of our players played ok, second half anyway. Vincent seems to have trouble passing to a Walsall player, so did O'Keefe when he came on. But we did look dangerous in spells, Byfield was class. Hopefully we won't see PaLarkin or Till in the team for a while. Still can't understand why Jones isn't playing, I thought Richards was pretty anonymous agin.

Mrs Asps keeps up her record of never having seen us lose, so someone has to make sure she goes next week!

Can we play a team managed by John Barnes every week please? Their fans were demonstrating outside shouting Barnes out, which sounded uncannily like Bonser out, well it did when we walked past them anyway :D

10th in the league, Bonser will be getting nervous. Expect Clayton McDonald to be sent back to Man City Monday and Byfield to be released

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Just got back. Cracking game,result & atmosphere.

First 40 minutes was very poor, no creativity, no idea & incredibly boring play. They had one chance that was debatably offside and scored it.
Then from nowhere a taundry snap shot, keeper spills - byfield taps in 1-1.

Then as i sat down for the second half i though, god another bore draw?.

Oh how i was wrong, the 1st 20 minutes of the half was ne of the most dominant, attacking, CREATIVE performances i've seen since we beat Doncaster back under DD. Deeney scored a volley from close range after good work from nicholls down the right and we just kept pouring forward and forward. We had 4 or 5 corners in a row, deeney got a bullet header to one only for the keeper to pull of a fantastic close range save. World class IMO. Then as "expected" having not taken our chances, tranmere go up the other end and with there only real chance scored a deflected rocket from about 35 yards. Great, i was expecting the worse then and tranmere piled the pressure on. From nowhere, nicholls used his pace an sprinted onto a lose ball before skipping round a challenge and squaring for deeney to tap in at the back post. CUE wil celebrations. Walsall HAD scored 3,yes THREE away goals. We had to defend after that, but we rode the storm well an had it not been for good goalkeeping deeney would have had a hatrick, one on one with the keeper, the keeper pushed it around the post.

3 points & an eventful game.

Solid performance & for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half, creativity in abudance.

Thank god nicholls finally got a game, no player on the pitch in a walsall shirt would have beaten goodison to the ball an skip past him to square for deeney, hopefully hutch sticks with a winning team.

Deeney was excellent today, won headers galore, could and should have scored 4 goals bar superb goalkeeping. Looked back to his best.

Mattis was industrious in CM & won all the tackles required of him. Taundry did well as well today before going off injured.

Solid team performance, goals & creativity. Keep it up.

UTS.

SWS1

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Great result. Really good to see us keep fighting for the points. OK so Tranny not a good team but we might have turned a corner...
Funny old game - defence been great recently, attack, er, not prolific. Today, ship two goals but the forwards come good.
Funny old game, David.
I'd love to win 3 - 2 every week.
:D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:02 pm

Good result, but early on I was worried after we managed to donate a soft goal to a Tranmere side that probably needed just that sort of thing to happen, to give them some encouragement to press on for a rare win. Thankfully, it didn't happen that way

Anyway all worked out well in the end, and looking at the table we certainly needed those three points. Can't do better than three points. Now we need to press home that advantage with three more at home next weekend, and get the home form on track.

Let's hope this is a turning point. :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:05 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

How can Sheff's words be described as "moaning"? He simply reinforced the view that this was a win we should have expected, as Tranmere are on a really bad run. Simples!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm

Don't really see why we should of "expected" to win today? You have to beat whats in front of you, we did. And we played some good attacking football at times for a change. Credit where its due today.

Highlight of the day? One of our first goals in living memory? Nah, definately hearing Asps squeel like a Banshee when Mrs Asps was pulling his nose hair out in the pub after :mrgreen:

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:14 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Much better, although we must have been helped by a 17 year old substitute goalkeeper making his debut for the Trannies in the second half.

UTS

keeper was not at fault for our two second half goals, infact he made two very good saves one late on from troy, the other midway 2nd half from a header, not sure whos

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Football's a simple game isn't it? Play Nicholls, Nicholls skips down the right and beats his man, twice, crosses to Deeney, Deeney scores. So, we've been saying play Nicholls on the wing because he's the only player in the side with enough creativity and pace to do that, and hey surprise, surprise, he does. And, many have been saying that if only we could land some crosses with Troy, he'd be banging them in, and hey, surprise, surprise...

Whoever it was, BTW, that said this wasn't going to be a win to nil, since Tranmere had scored, but also shipped a lot of goals, was bang on. We threatened this at Norwich, but just weren't getting past the last man to get the crosses in - its been coming, if ever we put Nicholls on. And the confidence for our strikers will come flooding back...

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Totally agree Fen.The sooner manager gets rid of his 2 big mistakes (Till and Parkin) the better.but will he?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Walsall win

Wolves & Stoke loss

Great day all round :mrgreen:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:02 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Walsall win

Wolves & Stoke loss

Great day all round :mrgreen:

Deeney deeney :D

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:25 pm

I felt we played well in patches today which was enough to beat a pretty poor side. In fact we could have won by more if their reserve keeper (who must have been about 13) hadn't pulled off a couple of great saves to deny Deeney getting another couple on top of his much deserved brace. Would have been great if deeney had scored in the last minute to complete his hat-trick having scored all three in front of the Walsall fans.

It's always great to win away, but I'd say that in parts today we were far poorer than we were at Norwich last week and as a game it was technically weaker than last weeks game. But who really gives a monkey's? We won and scored three with our two centre-forwards grabbing the goals.

Deeney was brave,strong and worked his rocks off. I thought Byfield went off the boil second half, seemed to be in a right strop about something. The two centre-halves played well again and shackled Ricketts to the point that Ricketts only threat became the pointy bits in the middle of his arms doing some real damage.

Our away form looks very good given where we've been so far. Two games to come at home. Four points and we'll be established in the top half, but I do have misgivings about our ability to do that given that "fortress Banks's" has become an oxymoron of "long shorts" proportions.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:47 pm

First 44 minutes were dreadful........yet we still managed to go in level thanks to a bit of luck with a spilt snapshot falling into Byfields path.

2nd half was a different story.... we attacked them in patches and really had them on the rack. Deeney was my MOTM, never stopped running and really should of had 3 or 4 goals.

Well done again, not as good as Norwich performance IMHO, but we came away with the right result against a poor team.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season