Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 12/9/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 12/9/09.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:04 pm

windowman wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Much better, although we must have been helped by a 17 year old substitute goalkeeper making his debut for the Trannies in the second half.

UTS

keeper was not at fault for our two second half goals, infact he made two very good saves one late on from troy, the other midway 2nd half from a header, not sure whos

Thanks for the feedback, windowman. Without the rookie, Deeney could have had 4 :shock: !

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:28 am

The first half was poor from us. We let Tranmere at us, failed to close the down which put pressure on our selves. Tranmere deservedly took the lead through Shuker even though he did look offside. When they scored I think most Walsall fans thought here we go again and expecting a poor match and another defeat. How wrong could we be? Last few minutes of the first half we came alive. Nicholls flashed a shot wide from the edge of the area. A few minutes later we equalised when Taundry found a yard of space and drove the ball towards goal, the keeper spilt and Byfield was on hand to tap in. For the last minute or so of the first half we carried on attacking and Deeney was denied by the keeper.

We started the second half off even better than we finished the first. We kept the ball, knocked it round with purpose and attacked. It was by far the best we've played this season, Tranmere couldn't get near us. And as the run of play was going, we took the lead through Deeney. We carried on in a similar fashion until they equalised (which i missed whilst popping to the loo, but I was told it was a wicked deflection :( ) The match evened out abit then, but Nicholls was an ever threat on the righ with Deeney & Byfield causing problems up top. We retook the lead when Nicholls burst down the right taking on Goodison(?) before cutting inside and laying it on a plate for Troy to tap in at the back post. It could have easily been 4 or 5. As mentioned by others Deeney had a good header saved and missed a one-on-one.

Overall, very good win away from home. We showed fighting spirit after going one down and when they pegged us back. Deeney, Byfield & Nicholls were out best players by far, I'd give MOTM to Deeney.

Gilmartin: Solid as he has been lately. Didn't realy have much of a chance with either goals.

Westlake: Very good, Weston will struggle to get back into the team with Westlake's current form.
Smith: Not his best of matches, struggled at times (especially in the air vs Ricketts), but still solid for most the match.
McDonald: Fantastic again. We should try and extend his loan deal.
Vincent: Nothing special, but did the job required of him well

Nicholls: Poor most the first half, but showed why he should start in the 2nd. He was a constand threat and Tranmere couldn't cope with him.
Taundry: Decent. Looked to get forward and passed the ball well.
Mattis: Same old same old. Tough tackling and gives the midfield that bit of grit.
Richards: Indifferent. Decent at times but useless at others. Jones should start on the left instead of him.

Deeney: Fantastic, ran and ran, but was also a constant threat. Deserved his 2 goals. MOTM
Byfield: Fantastic aswell. He looked good, ran at the defence causing problems. Nice to see him get his first goal.

SUBS
O'Keefe: Decent. Didn't have alot to do but most of what he did do was good.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:34 am

Great stuff, well done the lads!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:46 am

Good result, albeit against one of the divisions most inept combinations of the moment. Lucky we didn't play them after Barnes gets booted. :wink:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ll-review/

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:40 pm

A few pictures:

Walsall Fans:

1-2:

2-3:

FT:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:00 am

Green Arrrrmy!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:21 am

The bloke directly behind me that started the green army chant first time round gave the best impression of the "green army" advert yet. Quality.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:57 pm

How many would you say we took?

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:05 pm

Sadders wrote:The bloke directly behind me that started the green army chant first time round gave the best impression of the "green army" advert yet. Quality.

Ha, that would of been me! I'm famouuuuussss

Grreeennn aaarrrmmmyyy!!!

And I'd say we took about 250?

Percie
Glitterati

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:59 pm

I like how no ones noticed Rod McDonold in the crowd!

On the second picture down, in the middle on the right hand side. I was actually sitting next to him but you can't see me because my mates heads in the way lol

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Percie wrote:I like how no ones noticed Rod McDonold in the crowd!

On the second picture down, in the middle on the right hand side. I was actually sitting next to him but you can't see me because my mates heads in the way lol

oh yeah you can see half his head. I think hes comin onto the pitch vs swindon this weekend.

What was the attendence?

PT
Site Addict

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:03 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

oh yeah you can see half his head. I think hes comin onto the pitch vs swindon this weekend.

What was the attendence?

Was about 4,800 - pretty poor for them.

Whilst not being on any of these pics, I made my first appearance on the BBC for years on Saturday night as my jeans and T shirt were clearly seen celebrating goals 2 and 3.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:42 pm

PT wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:

What was the attendence?

Was about 4,800 - pretty poor for them.

Whilst not being on any of these pics, I made my first appearance on the BBC for years on Saturday night as my jeans and T shirt were clearly seen celebrating goals 2 and 3.

My feet and legs were seen doing a sideways shufflle at the top of the stairs behind the goal when the 2nd went in

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Thought it was him. Last saw him at Banks's last season when we had the Allstars V Easy fit 11 match.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Asps wrote:

Thought it was him. Last saw him at Banks's last season when we had the Allstars V Easy fit 11 match.

Sooner have an All Fit XI. :D

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season