Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Norwich City (A) League 1 Saturday 5/9/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Norwich City (A) League 1 Saturday 5/9/09.

Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:17 am

Journey was terrible. M6 from junction 4-6 was closed! Anyway back to the match.

Good solid performance but i think we need to work on the left flank.

Gilmartin- Didnt have to do much but what he did have to do, he did well.
Westlake- Another great match by him. Didnt do nothin wrong but he needs someone better than Till (i.e Nicholls) down the right to give him an option.
McDonald- Great player. Put in a great tackle on Holt. I think he saved us a couple of times.
Smith- Another floorless performance. Strong in the air again.
Vincent- Not the best of performances in the second half, but in the first he did ok.
Till- Useless. He dont know how to get back the left back. I much prefer Nicholls.
Mattis- Good performance but he needs someone to the side of him to help him.
Taundry- Didnt put a pass right all match.
Richards- Had a great chance to score (of Byfields cross) and he didnt really impress me yesterday.
Deeney- Worked hard again, him and Byfield still need work, but you can see a good partnership in them both.
Byfield- See Deeney. He is still trying to get match fit.
Parkin- Did ok but he lost out on a couple of headers.
Nicholls- Came on, ran his socks of, match finished. Didnt really touch the ball

The ref was terrible. I think Norwich,Leeds,Charlton and Southampton will be like the big 4 in our league. The referees wont want to give anythin againt them when they am at home because of the big crowd.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:50 am

Gilmartin- Played well. Didn't put a foot wrong, certainly playing with confidence. I'd start him at Tranmere.
Westlake- Another good performance defensive wise but needs more confidence when pushing forward.
McDonald- The beast. Seemed that either him or Manny was there everytime Norwich threw anything at us.
Smith- Same as McDonald, fantastic.
Vincent- Solid for most the match
Till- Did put in a couple of decent crosses but msot were over hit. He also take too long to get the ball in and tries to take the defender on about 10 times. All he has to do is get half a yard and cross.
Mattis- Solid, battling performance as per.
Taundry- Ran and ran, but kept falling over and giving away possesion. The heart was there just not the application.
Richards- Woeful. Worst of the lot. Everytime he got the ball he turned backwards. GO DOWN THE WING!
Deeney- His partnership with Byfield is slowly growing. Looked alot better than other matches. Ran and ran as usual and played well
Byfield- Class act. Confident, quick and a handful for defenders. Shame his 'match sharpness' isn't there or he would have scored, once maybe twice.

Parkin- Poor in the air but actually looked decent when he had it to his feet. He even took on two Norwich players :o
Nicholls- Should have been brought on 20 minutes earlier in place of Till. Didn't get a chance to make on impact.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:16 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:Journey was terrible. M6 from junction 4-6 was closed!

At least you were nearly home by then! :wink:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:00 pm

A cracking result. We could have won & it felt like a victory. We need to sort the midfield, Till, Taundry & Richards aren't good enough, give O'Keefe and Bradley a try.

Deeney & Byfield up front has to be the partnership from now on. The goals will come as Byfield gets match fit. At least Hutch seems to have realised that hoofing the balls up to Parkin doesn't work and I give him credit for that.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:34 pm

A point against a mid table team, who had conceeded 12 goals in previous 5 matches.
Superb!
:roll:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:45 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:A point against a mid table team, who had conceeded 12 goals in previous 5 matches.
Superb!

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:28 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:A point against a mid table team, who had conceeded 12 goals in previous 5 matches.
Superb!

Well they am one of the promotion contenders and won there last 2 games. Theres always one fan thats never satisfied :roll:

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:03 pm

Superb!

Silly Billy :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:37 am

matt-thesaddler wrote:
Superb!

Well they am one of the promotion contenders and won there last 2 games. Theres always one fan thats never satisfied :roll:

He's as much a fan of Walsall as he is of Liverpool.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:
Superb!

He's as much a fan of Walsall as he is of Liverpool.

:lol: :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:50 am

matt-thesaddler wrote:
Superb!

I agree with Sheff. OK so a point away is fine, but the fact that it was Norwich does not make it something special. Norwich are in Div 3 on merit, have not splashed out to any degree in the close season and have not set the league alight so far.

The defence is looking good but without goals we are at best going to be a lower half team. 4 games without a goal is a real worry.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:29 pm

By the by - I know someone who says Delia Smiths daughters are as infamous as her at carrow road - apparently they get up and dance when the crowd are loud. :shock:

He says they used to be on match of the day a lot doing it, but I cant find anything on youtube or even google. Anyone know anything?

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:43 am

Nope. Apparrently this is rubbish.

She's got nieces who sit with her, but i'm not aware of any jigging going on.

:?

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season