Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (H) J P Trophy 1st Round Tuesday 1/9/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Bury (H) J P Trophy 1st Round Tuesday 1/9/09

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:03 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Oh my God. :roll:

Still I'm sure there are plenty of positives to take out of the game :lol:

The time is ticking on the new management.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:03 pm

This club is a total embarrassment to the town and the once proud history of the club.

Is there anyone outside Wallets unsound mind that still thinks this club is transformed from 20 years ago??????????

How long will we continue to let these bumbling idiots run our club like this? THEY ARE NOT FIT TO REPRESENT OUR CLUB.

We're sinking quicker than the Titanic and the captain of the ship won't even believe there's a leak.

Wallet, you once stood shoulder to shoulder with the fans in defence of our club. What you've since overseen should make you ashamed. How do you sleep at night?

Scooby
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:15 pm

We are out of the first two cups of the season, at the first hurdle, to lower league opposition, and its only September 1st!!!! We aint scored a goal of our own in open play in 6 or 7 games and our attendances are falling away massively (tonight's crowd was only swelled by freebies and a good Bury following!)
There is only one thing that can cheer me up now. Please JB and the rest of your cronies, walk away and let us start again!
I WANT TO BE PROUD OF MY CLUB AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Christ!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:18 pm

tinned wrote:This club is a total embarrassment to the town and the once proud history of the club.

Is there anyone outside Wallets unsound mind that still thinks this club is transformed from 20 years ago??????????

How long will we continue to let these bumbling idiots run our club like this? THEY ARE NOT FIT TO REPRESENT OUR CLUB.

We're sinking quicker than the Titanic and the captain of the ship won't even believe there's a leak.

Wallet, you once stood shoulder to shoulder with the fans in defence of our club. What you've since overseen should make you ashamed. How do you sleep at night?

Probably by watching some bedside footage of the pretend football.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:21 pm

Totally predictable (just as I predicted on the attendance thread).

How embarrassing, out of these two competitions first round against lower league opponents two seasons running. Will JB ever put 2 and 2 together and come out with the answer FOUR?

Even at this early stage the writing is well-and-truly on the wall that we could be heading for the relegation places, while little is being done to arrest the decline! :evil:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Jamelia will save us!!

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Shocking!!

Only positive to take...we havent conceeded a goal in two games :mrgreen:

Louise
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Well I've just arrived back from the Match and at least it was a 100% improvement on Saturday.We had more shots in the first ten minutes tonight than the entire Match on Saturday. Although it still worries me that we havent scored from open play for eons.
Positives, Byfield played for nearly 90 minutes and played well - McDonald looked strong and steady.
Gilmartin did ok - didnt have an awful lot to do.
We showed more endeavour and desire but no bite up front and Deeney really doesnt look full of confidence.
Oh and no hot food from one kiosk til Half time , and then it ran out quickly!!!

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 pm

well well well

what a load of old tosh once again.

byfield looked quality in a very poor side but apart form that we had nothing to offer.

where do we go from here

who do i blame?
maybe its me perhaps im askimg too much to think we could beat a league 2 side at home maybe i shouldnt have expected that

very depressed tonight very depressed and cant see any light at the end of tunnel

we could have 100 managers in 3 years and they wouldnt turn that lot round we are doomed

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Well, what a load of excrement that was! Is this the way to attract back the thousands of fans that Walsall have lost over the last few years? (That was a rhetorical question - we all know the answer).

A team totally bereft of ideas and imagination. One shot actually on target (84th minute - a Deeney effort straight at the goalkeeper). One tactic - big boot out to Byfield waiting on the left wing (a tactic constantly shouted out by Hutchings). Byfield had two players marking him, all match, so did we have a Plan B? Did we b*****ks!

Gilmartin - did nothing wrong despite being on the wrong end of some very poor back-passes. Could do nothing about the penalties.

Westlake - calm and assured in all that he did. As soon as he has the self-confidence to develop the attacking side of his game, he will be sold to pay off another chunk of Bonser's debt.
Smith - same as Westlake. Kept Bishop "in his pocket" all evening.
McDonald - Good début but, on the other hand, if you're a captain of the reserve team of a big Premier League club, then we should expect nothing less.
Vincent - steady. Went off injured during second half. Richards dropped to left-back and Jones came on, on the left wing.

Till - useless, the worst Walsall player, contributed nothing, yet got the sponsors' man-of-the-match!!!! Do they ever drug-test these sponsors?
Mattis - battled away but with little class or creative flair.
Taundry - see Mattis
Richards - largely anonymous. I expected more from him, wide left. Gave very little service.

Deeney - the usual Deeney, bags of "huff & puff" and no real skill and no understanding of where to run - and when.
Byfield - easily our best attacker. Bury were s**t-scared of him. He needs a few games to sharpen up as he delays his shot just that fraction too long.

Jones - replaced Vincent (see above)
Nicholls - replaced Till (much too late)
Parkin - replaced Byfield and then proceeded to miss that all-important penalty. :evil:

I just cannot see where a goal is coming from. The tactics (joke) were poor and H & O must carry the responsibility for that.

Jones, Taundry, Deeney and Richards scored their penalties while Parkin hit the post with his. Bury scored all 5 of their penalties and probably just about deserved their win in that they were slightly less bad than we were.

Attendance:- 2,314 and in view of a fair following from Bury, I guess less than 2,000 Saddlers. I hope you're proud of your achievement, Jeff.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 pm

SSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walsall fans overreacting ridiculously early? That doesn't sound right? We are usually such an optimistic bunch!

Some of you seriously need to get a grip. OK things with the club aren't great, but talk about getting caught up in the moment!

Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Waste of time.

A few observations;

Peter Till is rubbish.

Nicholls is completely out of favour at the moment for some reason. Quite disappointing as he was what the game could have done with.

No creativity coming from the midfield at all.

Defensively we look solid - McDonald looks good. Byfield also worked hard up front. Not sure what is up with Deeney at the moment but he was a shadow of the player from the end of last season - the lack of decent service contributes to this.

Parkin, well well well. He was bought on for the penalty shoot out and then missed his penalty! Back in the starting line up on Saturday though I bet!

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 pm

we're shocking!! No creativity at all, league table is going to look a lot worse after Saturday as well

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Agree with Louise that it was a better game than Sa - not sure 100% better though? The only real positive were the fact that McDonald looked great in what looks like a decent defence (albeit against poor opposition in the last 2 games). I thought Byfield had a good game and was hungry for the ball. Why Nicholls isn't getting a chance ahead of either Deeney or Till I really don't understand.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:54 pm

Gilmaritin - Had nothing to do. Kicking was good. One bad kick from a sloppy backpass to his weaker foot

Weslake - Solid and ok
McDonald - BEAST!
Smith - Solid as usual
Vincent - Did his job

Richards - Played well. Slotted into left back well
Taundry - Worked hard and his passing was decent
Mattis - Solid. Made some great crunching tackles
Till - Played ok.. But come on, GET NICHOLLS STARTING THERE! .. Didn't deserve man of the match

Byfield - Passing was very sloppy but looked lively when he wasn't offside
Deeney - Typical Deeney

subs

Jones - Average
Nicholls - Not enough time
Parkin - Not much time on the pitch but won a few decent headers

Main positive is the defence. McDonald and Smith Bishop in thier pockets all day. I like the depth we have at centre back now

Overall the performance wasn't bad, just annoying!

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Agree 1933 --Something is clearly wrong with Hutch and Nicholls.How the hell can he favour Till over Nicholls?

The sponsors were in a box and whooped and cheered when Till was announced as MOM.--The Till family box by any chance?

If I were Alex Nicholls i'd put in a transfer request.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:02 pm

I had the chance of a freebie tonight and stopped at home instead. I think I made the right decision.

At the moment I'm not sure when I will be going again. I could use the fact I am visiting my dad in hospital most nights and weekends as a reason but in all honesty why waste £30 plus two or three times a month when getting no enjoyment in return? The only thing I think I will miss is the pre match pint in the Saddlers Club.

sj
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:08 pm

God--- is it really this bad?? And I'm not a believer :?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:08 pm

m&m wrote:Till over Nicholls?

Perhaps the same reason Mullen preferred Palmer over Boertien.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:10 pm

stefano123 wrote:SSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walsall fans overreacting ridiculously early? That doesn't sound right? We are usually such an optimistic bunch!

Some of you seriously need to get a grip. OK things with the club aren't great, but talk about getting caught up in the moment!

Or we could all pretend everything is fine. We could also wait until February and fake sock that we're points adrift at the bottom of the table. "How did we get here?" we could all ask.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:I had the chance of a freebie tonight and stopped at home instead. I think I made the right decision.

At the moment I'm not sure when I will be going again. I could use the fact I am visiting my dad in hospital most nights and weekends as a reason but in all honesty why waste £30 plus two or three times a month when getting no enjoyment in return? The only thing I think I will miss is the pre match pint in the Saddlers Club.

You got there eventually Dave, even if it took you 17 months more than me (in fairness, it took ME two years after my older brother gave up!) :)

Hope your Dad will be OK mate.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:14 pm

Till got a very hearty round of applause. 2,000 odd saddlers seem to disagree with you (though I havent made my mind up on anyone except Parkin yet)

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:16 pm

yoda wrote:Till got a very hearty round of applause. 2,000 odd Saddlers seem to disagree with you (though I haven't made my mind up on anyone except Parkin yet)

Perhaps they were glad to see the back of him? :mrgreen:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:18 pm

stefano123 wrote:SSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...... and some people are unbelievably complacent, and THEY need to get a grip too.

This is serious you know ! This doesn't sound like bad luck, these are poor performances I'm hearing and reading about, and something serious needs to be done to change the whole mindset of the players at the Bescot.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:27 pm

Aren't great??-talk about the understatement of the century.

I can't see the way out of this at the moment. Was hoping that Grigg might have got a chance tonight but instead we plundered the same halfwits that didn't perform saturday and surprisingly, they didn't perform again.

It's going to be a long old winter!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:30 pm

First of all ,that was better than saturday. We had more shots, we still however didnt create one proper chance. Byfield worked hard and will be a good asset when fully fit. Mattis was solid & always puts himself about, a good replacement captain when hughes isnt on the pitch. Smith was excellent again, westlake decent & Macdonald looked very good, especially in the first half.

Peter till is rubbish, cant beat a man nor cross, even if he does work very hard.
Sam parkin, is just sam parkin.
Vincent still doesn't do much for me & richards doesn't seem to have much of an impact either.

The "footballing"side of things is okay, but we will continue to struggle scoring goals when all we do is pass square and back,square and back. Its like we have a team full of stephen hughes?..

The biggest mistory of the night for me..WHY DID ALEX NICHOLLS NOT START?..never mind only have the insult of 2 minutes, he should be starting, till is absolutely crud. I just cant understand it, i can only imagine how alex feels.

Impressed with tonights attendance. That was at least one of the very FEW re-deeming factors.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Sadders wrote:

Impressed with tonights attendance. That was at least one of the very FEW re-deeming factors.

And Gilmartin. He had long periods of doing nothing then did well when needed (a good quality in a keeper). Did well against there freekick at the end of the first half.

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Tonight was pretty poor. we should of won but we didn't and we now must move on.

Byfield looks quality he brings something different to the team

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:36 pm

A load of rubbish. Hutchings has reversed the defensive failings we suffered under Mullen but in doing so we have removed every ounce of attacking quality. We rely on long balls and the hope of flick ons (but bizarrely the long balls were targeted at Byfield, so we had the same problem as we've had all season with Parkin - when he wins the flick-ons, Deeney's nowhere to be seen because he doesn't have the positional awareness to play that role - if we're going to play long balls then do them to Deeney for Byfield to run on to), with Plan B being to get the ball to the so-called wingers. Richards was more like a second full-back and Till is not blessed with any ability.

If we still had Sofiene Zaboub then he'd be our best player. It may have been an admirable stand by Hutchings to withdraw the contract offer after he went for a trial elsewhere, but I wonder if there's still time to reverse that decision. Our only hope is that when he regains match sharpness Byfield will be able to create some goals from nothing, because he certainly can't rely on his teammates creating any for him.

Pointing out how much we miss Ricketts seems so obvious I won't bother making it.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season