Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (H) J P Trophy 1st Round Tuesday 1/9/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Bury (H) J P Trophy 1st Round Tuesday 1/9/09

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Of course Hutchings and O'Conner deserve criticism, it's their team, admittedly with very limited funds, and their tactics which has nothing to do with budgets.

Only Jones and Hughes have shown me anything of the signings so far and I also think Byfield is a vast improvement (not difficult). Replacing Ricketts and Zaboobie with Till and Parkin was a real masterstroke :roll:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:12 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
PeruSaddler wrote:
stefano123 wrote:I keep hearing about the "lack of creativity" and "bad signings" but seriously how can Hutch bring in quality players with the awful budget he is given? Those who are that naive are the ones devoid from reality not those who chose to be objective in their judgement of the current squad.

It's not just "bad signings", it is the inept use of the talent at hand. Keeping Nicholls on the bench when it was crying out for some spark is criminal. That has nothing to do with the budget.

I certainly agree that Nicholls is a better option than Till, but that is far more to do with how poor Till is than how good Nicholls is.

The fact that there is a groundswell to get Nicholls in the side [and I mean this with respect] is more a reflection of the paucity of talent available than it is the footballing ability of the player concerned.

It's not about who he picks and who he doesn't. It's about how he asks whoever is on the pitch to play. That ought to be some reflection of their strengths and weaknesses, not totally independent of them.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:14 pm

Last night was shocking, and a bit less shocking than Saturday. What I would do for a players such as Rammell,Ada Viviash,Pointon,Barras,Keates,Wrack,Walker,Pedro,Jorge,Zigor,Roper,Brightwell,Samways ...... a group of players who had some passion and fight while playing for Walsall. The players off today seem not to care, apart from maybe a few. We lack a leader, we lack a team togetherness.

I cannot see when we are going to score from next, people moaned about the past but this is the worst Walsall team I have seen for a while.

Still in shock

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:56 pm

A number of posters have made reference to the low budget which will soon be taken as FACT on here.

Where is the evidence to suggest that Hutchings budget is radically worse than those of Dosh (Div 3) and Mullen? Compare the bench on Saturday with that at Tranmere last season (Mullens last game in charge)

It is normal for Walsall to have a lower budget than many of their rivals when competing at Div 3 or higher. With the money / big teams in Div 3 now we are, admittedly falling further behind the leading pack.

It is making the most of the resources which differentiates the good manger from the rest....so far Hutchings' record suggests that he is no great shakes (based on 2nd half of last season / start of this).

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:02 pm

I sat right behind the Home Dugout last night, due to the unavailability of my usual Seat and boy was it an education or to be more precise an insight and I am now v worried!
From my perch in the floors to go i used to think the Management were barking out orders based on tactics and the game - now i realize they just shout the names of the Players endlessly and the only tactic I heard was to get the Ball to Byfield who immediately had 2/3 men on him!
There was no Plan B -trust me I heard every word.
Pedro is right, the Players didnt seem bothered at all about loseing.They walked off ,most of them smileing and laughing - I certainly wasnt.It might have been just a Mickey Mouse Cup, but its money in the Coffers , a gteed end trip to Wembley and a much needed Confidence boost to the Club.
I am for the first time questioning the Management based on what I saw and heard with my own eyes, I am seriously concerned.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Having read the messages above, I am stunned that we have a few people saying last nights performance was an improvement.
These people are obviously totally devoid from reality and are the sort of people that would find good in the total bad. PATHETIC you are.
All this rubbish about us playing 2 promotion favourites, yet look at the other teams we have played!
Look who we have been knocked out the cups by!
We are a 4th division outfit with a conference division management duo (at best).
Oh, and believe me, finally the fans who have attended matches and stuck by this joke of a boardroom set up, have also at last realised the club couldnt give a sh*t about them.
I and many others realised many moons ago, but hey, it final is getting there with others!

So you were there last night and Saturday then?

I have a lot better things to spend money on then this load of complete and utter tosh.
I did buy a ticket yesterday though..... For the Premership darts in Sheffield next April. I will be entertained for 4 hours and will see people on the stage WANTING TO WIN and trying their very best in order to do so!
You see you dont get that at Walsall FC anmore, do you Gary?

Oh and Gary, I note you pick my post out of all the people who did not attend yesterdays and or Saturdays matches?
Why is that Gary?
Perhaps because you are a NO HOPER who as nothing better to do?
Oh except line the pockets of super JB aye?
:lol: :lol:
You are such a laugh poor Gary.
Never mind, life goes on, and I am sure one day you will get one! :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. FACT

I picked your post trying to differentiate between last night's and Saturday's performances. You are a stayaway so how can you compare the two. Neither were good but everyone I have spoken to agrees that last night was a better performance than Saturday's. FACT

Bless you that you care so much about my life, Simple. But i've got one a lot better than being a poor wind up on a site of a club you no longer support. FACT

I'm Super Simple Simon and these are my super detecting skills.

http://upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29140&hilit=monday

Bye Simon xxx

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:02 pm

But wasnt we playing a 4th divsion team last night and not a 3rd divsion team?
So forgive me for asking, but wouldnt you expect a "better" performance when you are playing a team "worse" than you?
I mean Bury, are absolutely setting the 4th divsion alight arent they?
What is it 6 points from 15 and in 18th position!
They must be good Gary! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You have no football idea whatsoever, stick to playing with yourself Gary, you will be a lot more at home.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Louise wrote:I sat right behind the Home Dugout last night, due to the unavailability of my usual Seat and boy was it an education or to be more precise an insight and I am now v worried!
From my perch in the floors to go i used to think the Management were barking out orders based on tactics and the game - now i realize they just shout the names of the Players endlessly and the only tactic I heard was to get the Ball to Byfield who immediately had 2/3 men on him!There was no Plan B -trust me I heard every word.
Pedro is right, the Players didnt seem bothered at all about loseing.They walked off ,most of them smileing and laughing - I certainly wasnt.It might have been just a Mickey Mouse Cup, but its money in the Coffers , a gteed end trip to Wembley and a much needed Confidence boost to the Club.
I am for the first time questioning the Management based on what I saw and heard with my own eyes, I am seriously concerned.

Very worrying :(

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:09 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:But wasnt we playing a 4th divsion team last night and not a 3rd divsion team?
So forgive me for asking, but wouldnt you expect a "better" performance when you are playing a team "worse" than you?
You have no football idea whatsoever, stick to playing with yourself Gary, you will be a lot more at home.

I compared the two performances, Sheff. I didn't compare the teams. Learn to read Sheffyboo.

Looks like your fiance will have fun for the rest of her life if this is how retarded you are (or the 13 months it'll take her to find a real man at work.)

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:10 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:But wasnt we playing a 4th divsion team last night and not a 3rd divsion team?

Since when does league positions or recent form matter in cup games.

As Burnley proved last season :D

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Terrible but better than saturday. We cant get through a league two defense. They didnt have the worst defence but we are a league 1 team so we should be able to beat a average league 2 side.

Defence was solid. McDonald seems a very good player. The midfield did ok but i think Richards holds the ball to long. In the fisrt half Byfield made a run down the left wing but Richards held onto it to long. Deeney gave 100% again but he needs to get a couple of goals. Byfield needs to shoot more but he tried hard and caused there defence trouble. A couple of goals cant come soon enough for him, or for the team.

CH needs to bring a creative midfielder in soon. He needs to have a good look at Till. He is too predictable, Nicholls is much better.

I think our patients will soon start to run out for Hutchings. Il give him a month and if things dont improve then he will be under presure. To be fair to him hes had a hard first month in the season, it will be intresting to see how we do against Norwich.

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:51 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
I think our patience will soon start to run out for Hutchings. Il give him a month and if things dont improve then he will be under presure. To be fair to him hes had a hard first month in the season , it will be intresting to see how we do against Norwich.

Hard start? We've played seven teams so far; the top two in our division, plus five teams below us in the division/league. So far we've beaten only one of them and couldn't score in a brothel.

God help us when we do play more good teams.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:55 pm

If the person that owns the club doesn't care about the football, but does care about his financial self-interest, and also treats the paying customers with absolute contempt, why should it be surprising that the employees of the company that he owns and runs (from the CEO to the manager,the players to the ticket staff) do likewise to varying degrees??

The manager has no agenda or medium term plan set out, other than to muddle through and keep us up.

The players have no long term future at the club, emerging ones will be sold to the first bidder, others are usually on one year contracts or loan deals. Fostering a team ethic in that environment must be nigh on impossble.

The admin staff have all heard their leaders talk about fans being divorced from financial reality, how the fans are rubbish for not getting behind the team, how fans simply moan and whinge on fringe messageboards. Its "them and us", and for "them" the hand that pays the wages is what matters (understandably).

The whole mentality of the club, from top to bottom, needs to be metaphorically weeded out and done away with, and that simply isn't going to happen with Bonser and Wallet in charge. Its Bonser that picked a fight with the clubs' supporters, at a time when the majority were actually happy with the direction the club was moving, and some were trying to build bridges with the club to help it. It was through shear arrogance that he couldn't help himself.

Like the shudder of the tea-cups on the Titanic as it brushed the ice-berg, Walsall Football Club was stricken from that moment on.

A club is nothing without its supporters, the business may survive, but the football club won't, or indeed isn't.

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Isn't there a darts website that Sheff can go on instead of bothering us lot?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
PeruSaddler wrote:
stefano123 wrote:I keep hearing about the "lack of creativity" and "bad signings" but seriously how can Hutch bring in quality players with the awful budget he is given? Those who are that naive are the ones devoid from reality not those who chose to be objective in their judgement of the current squad.

It's not just "bad signings", it is the inept use of the talent at hand. Keeping Nicholls on the bench when it was crying out for some spark is criminal. That has nothing to do with the budget.

I certainly agree that Nicholls is a better option than Till, but that is far more to do with how poor Till is than how good Nicholls is.

The fact that there is a groundswell to get Nicholls in the side [and I mean this with respect] is more a reflection of the paucity of talent available than it is the footballing ability of the player concerned.

It's not about who he picks and who he doesn't. It's about how he asks whoever is on the pitch to play. That ought to be some reflection of their strengths and weaknesses, not totally independent of them.

I take your point, but the fact that we are clamouring for Nicholls, when he has hardly set the world alight, says it all for me.

When he came on at Charlton to replace Till, it really was a chance for him to assert his claim, but he did'nt - he was awful. He even lost possession in a promising-ish attack that resulted in Charlton's second goal. Only one match, I know, but it hardly instills confidence, whatever style of play and his role in it the management choose. If you have'nt got the application, then the rest is irrelevant.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:23 pm

Shocking and awful

mel58
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:29 pm

The one encouraging factor for me in relation to the squad we started the season with was that we appeared to have more pace within the team - Parkin and Hughes excepted - than in recent years. But we seem so ponderous and one-paced in our build-up play that this is of no benefit to us. We hardly managed to turn their defence at all last night. Mattis seems to be the only solid presence in midfield whilst others run around busily but with no seeming direction and to little effect. We do not appear able to impose ourself upon a game.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:15 pm

mel58 wrote:The one encouraging factor for me in relation to the squad we started the season with was that we appeared to have more pace within the team - Parkin and Hughes excepted - than in recent years. But we seem so ponderous and one-paced in our build-up play that this is of no benefit to us. We hardly managed to turn their defence at all last night. Mattis seems to be the only solid presence in midfield whilst others run around busily but with no seeming direction and to little effect. We do not appear able to impose ourself upon a game.

No, and that stems back to what I've said about our side looking good on paper and with regard to their repective abilities, but it just not working.
Take Richards and Mattis for example. Both are good players ability-wise, but neither seem to give us that cutting edge through the middle. Then you look past those two and we have Bradley, Taundry & O'Keefe - all of whom have shown little impact defensively or offensively.

I suppose what I'm saying is that perhaps we should be looking to replace players we have who can do a little bit of everything with ones who may be a little more one-dimensional, but who at least have some ability to cause other teams problems.
To give things more balance in midfield, I'd look to sign a midfielder who likes to get forward through the middle, then play Mattis just in front of the back four, with Jones and Richards wide.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Pedro wrote:Last night was shocking, and a bit less shocking than Saturday. What I would do for a players such as Rammell,Ada Viviash,Pointon,Barras,Keates,Wrack,Walker,Pedro,Jorge,Zigor,Roper,Brightwell,Samways ...... a group of players who had some passion and fight while playing for Walsall. The players off today seem not to care, apart from maybe a few. We lack a leader, we lack a team togetherness.

I cannot see when we are going to score from next, people moaned about the past but this is the worst Walsall team I have seen for a while.

Still in shock

Good aint he Bonser ? :wink:

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season