Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 29/8/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Re: Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 29/8/09.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:41 pm

zero attacking potential, never looked like scoring!

hutchings needs to make a change and that won't come through a past it 32 year old. Get Grigg in the team, give the kid a chance and see if the young legs can take advantage of any of the older league 1 defenders lacking pace.

Something needs to be changed anyway. Westlake has come in and done well at right back so might be worth trying Grigg and Adkins also to see if they can add anything. If anything they will be more hungry than some of those in our squad just looking to sustain some income now that their careers are coming to and end!

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Oh dear, Ive come home to watch some Paint Dry that will be more exciting than what Ive sat through today.
Woeful, I thought at the start of the Season it could be a long tough one now I know its gonna be.
We have problems,that need addressing now.There is no cohesion at all in the Team
Gillingham were poor and if we cant put them to the sword at home then we are in deep trouble.
By my reckoning it was 40 minutes before the first real shot on goal, which the Crowd cheered as if it was a goal.
No creativity, no pass and move for each other and no real bite up front.
Manny Smith deserved Man of the Match for his last minute tackle that saved us .
If we carry on playing like this we are relegation fodder and the gates will go even lower.
Im going on Tuesday in the hope that its got to get better!!

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:48 pm

That was dire!

It's going to be a long, hard season.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Crud game but one thing has been confirmed!! Manny Smith is my hero :D

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:49 pm

WM Bloke put it best..
We are a club on our knees.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:51 pm

Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:31 pm

That was the most pathetically awfully crap desperate dire, quality lacking performance at home i've seen in a VERY long time. Parkin is beyond useless get rid and NOW. Smith, Mattis, Westalke & Ince were okay. Jones did something positive backed by something negative which was highly frustrating. Deeney was quiet and back to his old DD ways. Byfield has pace thankfully. If im honest i'd be starting alex nicholls, till tried hard and works well but cant beat a man like nicholls can. Richards did okay, but isn't creative & is rather paceless.

If we can get byfield scoring and some creativity we have a hope as the defence is GENERALLY solid, but we need to start creating chances for the strikers you could buy £10M worth of player, if they dont get the service they require they shant score.

Its going to be a long hard season. Relegation wouldn't surprise me.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:37 pm

well where on earth do you start with that pile of drivvle.
went to charlton last week and football was uninspiring long ball with no end product or quality but at least that was better than todays utter shambles.
theres nothing positive i can take out of todays game except that we didnt look like conceding really as gillingham are on a par with us.

we have no width no pace and no invention at all.
sam parkin is as bad as player as i have seen down there for many a year
i would say tommy mooney without the goals!!

in the second half i went form frustration to laughter as i just couldnt believe what i was seeing in front of my eyes
even the assistant ref gave a throw in when ball was still in play.
altogether with injury time they have robbed me of 99 minutes of my precious time today and i would rather have gone shopping with the wife.

then the embarrasment of the crowd 3331 thats when it sank in that its all over for walsall
we have nowhere to go under current chairman and setup.
i would rather take administration now with the 10 points and probably relegation if it would eventually remove the cancer out of the club otherwise known aqs geoff bonser.

there is no way on earth he can be a fan of the club and put up with the i would call lower conference performance of our team today.
i am embarrassed to be associated with the club after todays shocking trudge round the pitch.

i would have them in tomorrow and make them watch a replay of that of which i would have fallen asleep to if i had to watch all over again.

make no bones about it that performance will not get the fans running back and you can hardly blame them.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Dear oh dear, got back to the caravan after a nice day out, to be met with the news of a 0-0 bore draw. Now, reading the reports from those who had the misfortune to be at Bescot today, it seems that we were awful and are already looking like relegation candidates, with gates dropping even further than before. If we can't beat Gillingham at home, what the hell is in store for us?

What was that old saying of "while Rome burns? Bonser, get your finger out and make it worthwhile us coming back, before it's all too late! :evil:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Wednesbury, I'm now fully with you. I'd rather take administration and start again than continue to watch this slow, painful, desperate death we ware currently going through.

That WAS THE MOST pathetic football I've ever witnessed. The joke about watching better football on King Georges, Bloxwich is no longer a joke. I HAVE watched better games there. Clueless, totally clueless.

3,000 Walsall fans there? Bonser, Whalley it's time to admit YOU are the problem in the lack of crowds and leave NOW. Club transformed????? You ought to be ashamed of those comments.

Parking Space is the biggets wate of space since ..... well actually he's just the biggest waste of space I can remember.

Relegation boys and girls. Prepare for it.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:51 pm

Dross.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Awful

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I think sadly we are witnessing the killing of our once proud football club.

We will get relegated.

3300 was the attendance today, 300 down from the Southend Game.

Whalley needs to resign, Bonser needs to sell the club else we will go sub 3000 crowd wise, get relegated and then never be able to climb back up again.

So the game - we were awful. Boring long ball rubbish football. They were all cack bar Mannie Smith.

There is no desire, no flow, they are lost as soon as they get past the half way line. If you cannot score goals you will struggle, we must have had about 4 shots all game, with one or two on target, but nothing troubled their goalkeeper at all. Gillingham were a poor side, but we were worse. That is the worst home performance I have seen in years.

The club is dying folks, and the powers that be are doing nothing about it.

And people will still question your comments Daz!

They are mental and haven't got a clue about football then. Ergo, like the way our football club is run.

So I'm mental then Daz ?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:57 pm

Gillingham were complete rubbish in most positions, but they were better than us because in their number 10 Simeon Jackson they had a forward player with pace and skill. He is at the age of 22 a proven 20 goals a season striker in this league. Gillingham invested £150,000 in him in the January 2008 transfer window. What pity we did not have any cash at that time from sales so that we could have brought him to Walsall.

That reminds me. A year ago this weekend we won 5-1 thanks to hat-trick from a player with pace and skill. We were fifth in the table with a squad that was capable of the play offs. Now we are 17th, have no players with pace and skill, and have a squad capable of relegation.
Last edited by Bernie on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Bernie wrote:Gillingham were complete rubbish in most positions, but they were better than us because in their number 10 they had a forward player with pace and skill.

That reminds me. A year ago this weekend we won 5-1 thanks to hat-trick from a player with pace and skill. We were fifth in the table with a squad that was capable of the play offs. Now we are 17th, have no players with pace and skill, and have a squad capable of relegation.

Exactly, we're heading precisely where we've been heading fairly consistently ever since Bonser put the brakes on ambition and, as a result, Richard Money left us. :evil:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Did I say this would be a meaningless pile of poo between two teams that shouldn't be allowed to charge admittance money?

Yes I did.

Was I proved right (yet again)

Yes I was.

End of argument.

Glad to see only 3000 people were conned this week, hopefully soon be down to zero.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:27 pm

Pedro wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I think sadly we are witnessing the killing of our once proud football club.

We will get relegated.

3300 was the attendance today, 300 down from the Southend Game.

Whalley needs to resign, Bonser needs to sell the club else we will go sub 3000 crowd wise, get relegated and then never be able to climb back up again.

So the game - we were awful. Boring long ball rubbish football. They were all cack bar Mannie Smith.

There is no desire, no flow, they are lost as soon as they get past the half way line. If you cannot score goals you will struggle, we must have had about 4 shots all game, with one or two on target, but nothing troubled their goalkeeper at all. Gillingham were a poor side, but we were worse. That is the worst home performance I have seen in years.

The club is dying folks, and the powers that be are doing nothing about it.

And people will still question your comments Daz!

They are mental and haven't got a clue about football then. Ergo, like the way our football club is run.

So I'm mental then Daz ?

If you still steadfastly believe that Bonser is good for this club then I'm afraid, yes, you must be be.

Oh, by the way, no balti pies, no hot-dogs, only one kiosk open upstairs, one carpark closed. What does that say (to those that accept the obvious)? A club dying in my eyes :(

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:40 pm

the funny thing is that against leeds on what will be our only crowd over 5000 this year we had 1 kiosk open for food and drinks
today in the morgue we had 2 kiosks with no more than half a dozen in any queue at any time.

then i had to queue 30 minutes to redeem my free cup ticket with 4 people behind the counter in club shop and only 1 serving and cussing the customers for maoning about the wait as the other 3 idly watched her fiddling with yet another broken ticket machine.

everything at the club is rotten from the top down and it makes me chuckle as when at the meet the manager meeting i asked hutchins where he saw this club in 5 years time
his answer was there was no reason with the team he has that we couldnt be another wigan or fulham and end up in the premiership!!!
what an absolute joke we will only be in the conference premier!

joke joke joke all the way through the club and i might watch that tinpot dry at tuesdays match as it will probably be more entertaining.

21 years supporter very very frustrated disillusioned and wouldnt really care what happens anymore and i certainly most defrinatly wont be renewing my season ticket for league 2 next season.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:41 pm

tinned wrote:Wednesbury, I'm now fully with you. I'd rather take administration and start again than continue to watch this slow, painful, desperate death we ware currently going through.

That WAS THE MOST pathetic football I've ever witnessed. The joke about watching better football on King Georges, Bloxwich is no longer a joke. I HAVE watched better games there. Clueless, totally clueless.

3,000 Walsall fans there? Bonser, Whalley it's time to admit YOU are the problem in the lack of crowds and leave NOW. Club transformed????? You ought to be ashamed of those comments.

Parking Space is the biggets wate of space since ..... well actually he's just the biggest waste of space I can remember.

Relegation boys and girls. Prepare for it.

Interesting that you say that, tinned. I was speaking to a mate of mine who knows someone who supports Halesowen Town. They have substantial debts and the fans hate the owner. There is currently a boycott of home matches - they usually average around 400 and had an attendance of only 101 today. The aim of the boycott is to try and put the owner in such a position as to force the club into administation and a change of ownership, even if this means going down a league or two to begin with. Our position is somewhat different, as we have an owner who actively wishes to avoid administration in order to get back all the money he is owed, but continuing crowds at the level we are seeing simply has to 'force the issue' at some point.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Awful, no other word to explain it. Huthings really needs to open his eyes and see how bad we played. Just like Bangor said, at this rate we will get relegated.

Ince- Good game for the big man. Didnt have to do much but what he had to do, he did well.
Westlake- Played well. Seems like he will be a very good player when hes older and has experience.
Smith- Easily MOTM. 110% again, cant fult him.
Roberts- Did ok but took another knock so hes out for another year.
Vincent- Bit risky at times.
Till- Dont rate him. He didnt seem like he knew what to do half the time but hes starting to get down the wing abit more now.
Mattis- Quiet game.
Richards- Put himself around but didnt really shine for me.
Jones- Did ok, seems like a good signing but needs to cross abit more.
Deeney- 100% again, cant fult him but hes not getting the service.
Parkin- Awful, dont deserve to play.
Weston- Didnt really have much to do when he came on.
taundry- Did ok, i would start him on the wing next week, not Till
Byfield- Good to see him back, did ok and put himself around abit. Him and Deeney could do well upfront but they need the service to do anythin in this league.

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 pm

and the gents loos effing stink

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:06 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Glad to see only 3000 people were conned this week, hopefully soon be down to zero.

Im a fan of your posts in general but this is a bit harsh.

Macca
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:08 pm

That was probably one of the worst performances that i have ever seen.

Peter Till and Sam Parkin are useless.

Steve Jones looks like the only player who actully wants to go forward.

Manny Smith will be sold in January if he carrys on this form.

This performance won't be bring me back to the Banks's for a while when i have to pay 20 quid to watch that rubbish.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:24 pm

Macca wrote:That was probably one of the worst performances that i have ever seen.

Peter Till and Sam Parkin are useless.

Steve Jones looks like the only player who actully wants to go forward.

Manny Smith will be sold in January if he carrys on this form.

This performance won't be bring me back to the Banks's for a while when i have to pay 20 quid to watch that rubbish.

Lucky you, iv got a season ticket :roll:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:29 pm

yoda wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

Im a fan of your posts in general but this is a bit harsh.

I agree!

But it depends on how you read it - zero people that are conned or zero people in attendance of the game!!

One interpretation is quite positive and the other pretty negative and a sad thought! :? :mrgreen:

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 pm

I'd be interested to know - if offered what you paid pound for pound on the remaining games - how many season ticket holders would give there tickets back?

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:33 pm

yoda wrote:I'd be interested to know - if offered what you paid pound for pound on the remaining games - how many season ticket holders would give there tickets back?

I would yes. I'd happily continue going to the Saddlers Club and then go home at 3. I can stomach us failing but I can't stand us failing to even try. Today I realised my prophecies of doom at Walsall were wrong - it's a LOT worse than even I predicted :(

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:41 pm

An awful game played out by 2 awful teams.don't be surprised to see both in the bottom 4 come May.

Both Parkin and Till are no better than southern league players.The manager can surely see this?As he signed them I guess he's hoping against hope that they come good.They won't!

Macca
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:44 pm

yoda wrote:I'd be interested to know - if offered what you paid pound for pound on the remaining games - how many season ticket holders would give there tickets back?

20 quid is a rip off. You can go and watch Premeirship football for that at Villa. The fact that they don't do any student discount's is plain stupid in it's self.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Im a stayaway and for some strange reason decided to go today......dear me that was cack.

Vincent, Till, Deeney and Parkin were all barclays today. Something needs to happen at this club and FAST. I feel sorry for Hutch and O'connor because I think they are the people to take this club forward its just a shame I feel their arms are well and truly tied.

We need to give the fringe players a chance on Tuesday

Ince
Westlake Smith Hughes Richards
Nicholls Bradley O'Keefe Jones
Grigg Byfield

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season