Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 29/8/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
caldy
UTS Regular

Re: Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 29/8/09.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:57 pm

yoda wrote:I'd be interested to know - if offered what you paid pound for pound on the remaining games - how many season ticket holders would give there tickets back?

I would give mine back now. I nearly didn't renew for this season but thought that CH might play some decent football. On today's display how wrong was I?
If that's the best we can do then relegation is a cert. At least under Mullen we scored a few goals. (before anyone says anything no I don't want Mullen back).
CH has nowhere to hide this season, it's his team and tactics. The worst performance of last season came under him with a 5-0 thrashing at home against Brizzle, in my opinion the standard of football has just got worse this season. When CH and MoC took over you could hear them from the dug out whistling and barking orders, now you hardly hear anything. I think that in it's self is worrying. No passion, application or effort. Very poor. I don't thnk another change in management will solve anything, quite the opposite, CH and MoC need time to create a stable platform for WFC. That platform can only be created properly when Bonser and Whalley go and the sooner the better. Today was a game where too many players went missing. That is the problem with signing the type of player we do, it's just another pay packet to them. I say give the kids a chance because on that showing we have nothing to lose and at least we will see effort and passion.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:28 pm

Jockey wrote:Im a stayaway and for some strange reason decided to go today......dear me that was guano.

Vincent, Till, Deeney and Parkin were all **** today. Something needs to happen at this club and FAST. I feel sorry for Hutch and O'connor because I think they are the people to take this club forward its just a shame I feel their arms are well and truly tied.

We need to give the fringe players a chance on Tuesday

Ince
Westlake Smith Hughes Richards
Nicholls Bradley O'Keefe Jones
Grigg Byfield

I agree with the sentiment, but I think it would be harsh to drop Mattis, who at least looked bothered. He won't create, but I'd argue that without him we'd have been completely over-run. I'd be inclined to stick Richards on the wing (where he looked useful pre-season), Jones up front (because he can't do any worse than what we've got).

I'd go:
Ince
Westlake Smith Hughes Vincent
Nicholls Mattis O'Keefe/Taundry Richards
Jones Byfield

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:01 pm

No ideas or guile today.

Defence...Westlake and Smith, next two players to make us some money. Roberts, no timing no judgement.

The left flank - Vincent, for an experianced pro his judgement and passing is shameful. Jones, full of ability, doesn't get to the touch line, 30odd, hasn't got the legs to go in behind them where we need the wingers to go.

Center Mid - They do okay to be fair. Mattis fine. Richards clearly has a left foot and a bit of pace..play him down the wing. or at left back.

Right Midfield - Till, how on earth he gets picked ahead of nicholls or taundry beggars belief. run of the mill lower league midfielder.

Strikers - Parkin, was the best ive seen him today he was still like a subbuteo player. Deeney has come on so much, his touch is a million times better but his work rate dropped today.

What we need.

Nicholls - Pace and Energy.
Taundry - Pace and Energy.
Bradley - Footballing Brain.

Westlake - Weston - Smith - Richards
Nicholls - Mattis - Bradley - Taundry
.........Deeney......Jones...........

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Jockey wrote: We need to give the fringe players a chance on Tuesday

Ince
Westlake Smith Hughes Richards
Nicholls Bradley O'Keefe Jones
Grigg Byfield

Thanks to the wisdom of the football league you couldnt play this team. You need at least 6 players who have started the majority of games played in there correct positions.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:09 pm

tinned wrote: I can stomach us failing but I can't stand us failing to even try.

Tinned, that is spot on. It's exactly why I stopped going to matches around March 2008 following the post-Fox/Dann capitulation, and nothing seems to have happened since then to address the situation or even remotely change my mind.

If anything, the situation seems to be getting steadily worse this season, and we've even failed already to win at home against two of the teams who we can expect to hang around the lower reaches of the division with us this season. It's early days, but these points we've lost at home could prove vital next May.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Just got in. Put off going to get my son from Wales to go today-the five hour round trip was thoroughly more entertaining.

I just don't know what to say other than what has been said before. No urgency, creativity, passion: Complete toss!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:36 am

So much for early season optimism. We've gone from needing a creative midfielder/striker who can put it away to needing creativity, passion, belief and some basic ball skill.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:16 am

I can't understand those who say there wasn't any effort or willingness to try. There was plenty of huff and puff today.

The problem is there is no quality at all in the important parts of the pitch.

The one thing I expected from Hutchings appointment was an improvement in the general quality of players who may be attracted to the Club by his 'name' and his past Clubs. He has attracted zilch in terms of quality.

He seems to have signed the same dross that attracted Mullen's interest. To me Richards, Till, Parkin and Vincent have all been very disappointing so far. I'd rather put a kid from the reserves in than play them.

I suppose some will blame Bonser for not providing sufficient funds. Whatever funds are available have not been managed well enough and Hutchings has been a major disappointment and he doesn't seem to have the abilities to manage at this low level.

I'd rather save a wage and make O'Connor manager for the rest of the season. The way attendances are going, I expect this to happen before Xmas anyway.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:14 am

same old , the warning sign were there for me against Southend , we create nothing , we have nothing upfront

message to Hutch and O'connor

It ain't working

caldy
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:22 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:The one thing I expected from Hutchings appointment was an improvement in the general quality of players who may be attracted to the Club by his 'name' and his past Clubs. He has attracted zilch in terms of quality.

Whatever funds are available have not been managed well enough and Hutchings has been a major disappointment and he doesn't seem to have the abilities to manage at this low level.

I'd rather save a wage and make O'Connor manager for the rest of the season. The way attendances are going, I expect this to happen before Xmas anyway.

I agree with all of your points above. To say to the press he has funds available and to sign the players he has is very worrying. On yesterdays display what has Nicholls got to do to get a game? Taundry would add energy which is something we are badly lacking. The passing moves we make look good when they come off but going sideways doesn't get you goals. MoC would give the kids a go (I think), if we did this it might give a few a kick up the back side.

How much longer are we going to have to watch this tosh?

On another point, does anybody else think that the pitch is looking worn and very heavy? A few times at our home matches the ball just slows right up, last season it was a good surface. If so is this deliberate because a. No money to maintain or b. CH wants the pitch slower because we have no pace?

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 am

I noticed Barnsley have sacked their Manager, perhaps Hutchings will go there, he still lives up that way so i`m told

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:I'd rather save a wage and make O'Connor manager for the rest of the season. The way attendances are going, I expect this to happen before Xmas anyway.

No chance. The amount of managers we've been chewing through this one's a make or break. Don't think anyone realistically expects promotion now, apart from Roy "tilt for the top" Whalley when he parrots Uncle Jeff's increasingly rubbish soundbites. That hurdle removed, the only expectation is survival - a good old relegation battle, and what better way to unite the fans than to sell the team out from under the manager in January and still survive? :mrgreen:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:44 am

Yoda, it may be harsh, but I have more empathy with paying supporters than I do with the farce that masquerades as Walsall FC. Its a crying shame that good, decent supporters are being ripped off in my opinion. There were 3000 less people there yesterday than for the same fixture 6 years ago, which was on a Monday night live on Sky and that was our LOWEST attendance that season!!!! That's how bad things have got. Bonser doesn't even pretend anymore, Whalley thinks everything's great.

Don't talk as though this is Walsall FC, it isn't. ITS PENSION FUND FC, end of.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:19 am

clawtheolder wrote:I noticed Barnsley have sacked their Manager, perhaps Hutchings will go there, he still lives up that way so i`m told

Living in Shareshill so i'm told, just around corner from JWB

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:31 am

We should be like that Newcastle fan a few years back who tried to have them under the trade description act for being a football club, in my 20 odd years of following Walsall i can't remember too many games of such poor quality :( .
I can't see where the next goal is coming from, never mind a win

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:22 pm

Mullen like rubbish.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Mullen like rubbish.

Humm ,Mullen lost the dressing room very early in his reign . can't help but think had Hutch done the same

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:02 pm

i still cant see how people can back Troy Deeney after yesterday, he contributes to nothing, him & Parkin are quite frankly awful, so he's scored what 14 goals in about what, 2 an half too 3 years, its not good enough him & Parkin should be dropped and give Byfield & Nicholls a run, everyone deserves there chance an Troy deserved his, but he's served it now and Nicholls deserves him shot upfront, Byfield did more in 20 mins what Deeney & Parkin have done together so far this season. If i was Nicholls id end up leavin us, he must be so frusted on the bench all the time.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:There were 3000 less people there yesterday than for the same fixture 6 years ago, which was on a Monday night live on Sky and that was our LOWEST attendance that season!!!! That's how bad things have got.

THAT is a truly terrifying fact, geordie. :(

Glitterati

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Terrible performance.

Roberts went off injured again - what benefit is he to us really, he's not that great when he plays. We should have kept Ian Roper.

Richards hasnt done anything to impress me yet. I'm keen to see him starting on the left wing.

Till offers nothing at all - Nicholls should be in the team.

Deenery doesnt look that interested at the moment and Parkin is less than impressive.

I was hopeful Hutchings would do a decent job this season but the performances so far have been pretty bad. The players won't even have a shot on goal so what chance do we have!!

Griff

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

The only "excitement" yesterday was part of the roof falling off the TXT Health stand :roll:

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:03 pm

Griff wrote:The only "excitement" yesterday was part of the roof falling off the text Health stand :roll:

Pity it didnt hit Jeef on the way down

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Griff wrote:The only "excitement" yesterday was part of the roof falling off the text Health stand :roll:

Well I hope the club's chief executive is going to complain to the landlord.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:20 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:There were 3000 less people there yesterday than for the same fixture 6 years ago, which was on a Monday night live on Sky and that was our LOWEST attendance that season!!!! That's how bad things have got.

THAT is a truly terrifying fact, geordie. :(

Just to back up this in full:

2003/4 - Gillingham [H]: 6,395 [6,202 home,193 away]

2009/10 - Gillingham [H]: 3,331 [3,074 home, 257 away]

:shock:

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:42 pm

We were a shower of shite in that game, i haven't seen a worse game for a long long time. I feel sorry for the Gillingham fans, spent how many hours to get there and back to watch that! It's a good job i only live 15-20 mins away!

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:04 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:

Didn't he once suggest that we moved out of Fellows Park because it was falling down? :D

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:41 am

Exile wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

Didn't he once suggest that we moved out of Fellows Park because it was falling down? :D

Ahhhh, the spontanious collapse of the Cowshed story. You know, three months after Bescot opened, 6 months after Fellows Park was closed, and several weeks after deconstruction of the old ground began.

You would think that this is where being a tennent rather than an owner occupier would really show its worth. I will bet anyone, any money that Walsall FC pays for any repairs necessary as a result of Saturday's incident, and the rent payments wont miss a beat.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:32 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

Ahhhh, the spontanious collapse of the Cowshed story. You know, three months after Bescot opened, 6 months after Fellows Park was closed, and several weeks after deconstruction of the old ground began.

You would think that this is where being a tennent rather than an owner occupier would really show its worth. I will bet anyone, any money that Walsall FC pays for any repairs necessary as a result of Saturday's incident, and the rent payments wont miss a beat.

It's probably written in very small print somewhere as a condition in the contract. :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:56 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:It's probably written in very small print somewhere as a condition in the contract. :roll:

Bonser's pension fund lawyer probably never wrote:Clause 13.2.3(b): The one who smelt it dealt it

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:00 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

You mean a structure fell down after the start of it's demolition?

Bloody hell, whatever next for the genius of Whalley to suggest? Paying £200,000 for land being more expensive than a £3m rent per chance?

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season