Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 29/8/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 29/8/09.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:26 pm

Not only had demolotion commenced but the day before the "collapse" fires had been set to help undrmine the structure. Much of the steelwork from the corner of the Hilary Street end had already been removed. It wasn't possible to make an exact judgement as to the timescales of how the structure of the cowshed roof would behave because Fellows Park had been constructed, and repaired in a piecemeal fashion over the years.

Reason I know this, my brother worked on the demolition, and I was working in Oldbury and living in Pelsall at the time, so I often stopped by the old ground to pick him up after work. I can vividly remember the site of the cowshed roof collapsed, and the subsequent clearance work that took place over the weeks following. Coincidently, my brother also worked on the demolition of the old sewage works that pre-dated Bescot, and the old Gas (water) works?? that I think was touted as an alternative site for a staium on Green Lane.

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season