Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Athletic (A) League 1 Saturday 22/8/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Charlton Athletic (A) League 1 Saturday 22/8/09.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Till off
Nicholls on

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:31 pm

2-0

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:31 pm

All over bar the shouting

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Coming into it alot more in the last 5 mins.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:38 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:Coming into it alot more in the last 5 mins.

Bit pointless when you're 2-0 down isn't it ?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:

Atleast we am putting effort into it and not giving up. No pleasing some fans is there :roll:

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:43 pm

so why didnt they put th effort in to begin with, were facing a relegation battle this year.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:44 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

Atleast we am putting effort into it and not giving up. No pleasing some fans is there :roll:

How can you be pleased by losing 2-0 and turning up for the last ten mins of the game ?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:46 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:so why didnt they put th effort in to begin with, were facing a relegation battle this year.

They might of been but Charlton started much better than us. With the fans we hav got we dont deserve anythin'.

Parkin hit the post. I bet someone will still moan about him.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:48 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

How can you be pleased by losing 2-0 and turning up for the last ten mins of the game ?

Did i say i was pleased? I said atleast we am putting effort into it, not im happy to lose 2-0 aslong as we tried for 10 mins.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:49 pm

I've said it once and i'll say again the weakeak is Deeney, drop him and play Nicholls instead, why are we playing a pasing game with 2 slow target men upfront its school boy stuff.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:51 pm

I have a very bad feeling , that if we do not strengthen with another midfielder and striker - then we are going to struggle. Goals win you games.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:52 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:I've said it once and i'll say again the weakeak is Deeney, drop him and play Nicholls instead, why are we playing a pasing game with 2 slow target men upfront its school boy stuff.

How can you moan about Deeney? If you ask me hes one of our best players. Him and Nicholls are the same type of player. He gives 110% week in week out. How can you moan about that?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:53 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:I've said it once and i'll say again the weakeak is Deeney, drop him and play Nicholls instead, why are we playing a pasing game with 2 slow target men upfront its school boy stuff.

How can you moan about Deeney? If you ask me hes one of our best players. Him and Nicholls are the same type of player. He gives 110% week in week out. How can you moan about that?

I don't think anyone is questioning his effort - they are questioning why he isn't getting into goalscoring positions this year? Is it the team not suited to him..or him not suited to the team ?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:55 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:

and if you ask majority of the posters on here your judgemen of football players is chronic :lol: , just because he gives his 110% (which quite frankly gives the team nothing) it doesnt mean he should play, as daz said above goals win you games not giving your all and what we need is GOALS
Last edited by bleed_red_n_white on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:57 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:Parkin hit the post. I bet someone will still moan about him.

I am not going to moan about a performance I have not seen, but he is paid to get the ball between the posts.

As for Deeney, he is not great, but he is far better than Parking or Nicholls. I will happy to see him dropped when we have two better forwards at the club.
Last edited by Bernie on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:58 pm

All over. We need to hope there are 4 worse teams than us or we are looking towards a disappointing season in the bottom 4.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:03 pm

Bernie wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:Parkin hit the post. I bet someone will still moan about him.

I am not going to moan about a performance I have not seen, but he is paid to get the ball between the posts.

As for Deeney, he is not great, but he is far better than Parking or Nicholls. I will happy to see him dropped when we have two better forwards at the club.

I totally disagree mate i think Deeney is our worst striker, i dont mind if eithr Parkin or Deeney is dropped you cant play those together upfront you need pace with one of them and thats what Nicholls has.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:08 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:I totally disagree mate i think Deeney is our worst striker, i dont mind if eithr Parkin or Deeney is dropped you cant play those together upfront you need pace with one of them and thats what Nicholls has.

I have only seen Parking in the home matches, but he was far worse than Deeney in both of those matches. What exactly are his strengths? Let me see: he cannot head the ball; he cannot hold the ball up; his touch is poor; he has no pace; he does not link well with other players; he does not work particulary hard? We have not seen him create any chances - so what do you think he brings to the team?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:12 pm

Bernie wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:I totally disagree mate i think Deeney is our worst striker, i dont mind if eithr Parkin or Deeney is dropped you cant play those together upfront you need pace with one of them and thats what Nicholls has.

I have only seen Parking in the home matches, but he was far worse than Deeney in both of those matches. What exactly are his strengths? Let me see: he cannot head the ball; he cannot hold the ball up; his touch is poor; he has no pace; he does not link well with other players; he does not work particulary hard? We have not seen him create any chances - so what do you think he brings to the team?

hasnt created any chances are you serious, what about the Southend penalty, he made it and scored it

and if you read my last post i said i dont care which one of them is dropped but you cant play them together, the pair on em are far to slow, how many times have we seen till or jones fire crosses over with nobody there

H

Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Some "Fans" need to get real; losing away from home to Charlton is honestly to be expected - there is no disgrace whatsoever in that. If we re getting hammered at Home by Exeter, then yeh have a moan by all means but otherwise please try to have a sense of perspective.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:19 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:hasnt created any chances are you serious, what about the Southend penalty, he made it and scored it

The Southend penalty was made by Deeney, who controlled a difficult ball, turned well and passed it to Parking. All Parkin did was miscontrol his first touch on the ball and knock it harmlessly towards the goalkeeper, he would have had no chance of reaching it so it was a bit of luck when he fell over after being fouled. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 200555.stm Deeney also made the assist for our first goal in that match.

The Express & Star verdict on the Walsall performance is very damning. http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/08/2 ... 0-verdict/ Walsall "surrendered in the tamest fashion" and "never looked likely to trouble the scorecard despite Mark Hughes having a goal disallowed for offside". The first half "had all the pace of an 80-year-old geriatric".

The only goal we have scored in open play this season was the own goal at Brighton.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:34 pm

H wrote:Some "Fans" need to get real; losing away from home to Charlton is honestly to be expected - there is no disgrace whatsoever in that. If we re getting hammered at Home by Exeter, then yeh have a moan by all means but otherwise please try to have a sense of perspective.

I agree with this. In our opening 4 league games we have played two of the favourites for promotion (Leeds and Charlton), and southend who arennt a bad side either, and Brighton. From the Leeds and Charlton games we could have expected to lose as they are the best teams in the league, getting anything from them would be great. The southend game/result may have been different had Mattis not got sent off, but at least we scored late on it that game rather than conceding and going on to lose. We should not moan about losing the games we have done so far (except accrington), but i do think we need a new striker. And out of Parkin and Deeney, i would drop Parkin and put Nicholls in (if we dont get a new striker who scores regularly). At Accrington Parkin was useless and from what ive heard from the other games, and Deeney looked lively when he came on. People will say that he Parkin has scored more this season, but im sure Deeney could have scored two penalties too.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:35 pm

Just got back and not a happy man. We used the same tactics in the first half as we employed at Brighton. Then, we kept the ball, today, Charlton kept the ball and eventually scored...so the plan did'nt work. What troubled me though was the total lack of any pressure on the opponents goal in the first half. The goal was a scrambled affair and Jones had a right "go" at Ince. Jones was taken off at half time. I wonder whether further words were exchanged in the dressing room? There was some attempt in the second half to retrieve matters but to no effect. Gloom :evil:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:37 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:so why didnt they put th effort in to begin with, were facing a relegation battle this year.

They might of been but Charlton started much better than us. With the fans we hav got we dont deserve anythin'.

Parkin hit the post. I bet someone will still moan about him.

I won't :lol: :lol:

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:50 pm

CALM DOWN DEARS.

We were down to ten men and drew with Southend and we gave Leeds a tough game. The only result where it didnt seem we troubled them much, was today and to be fair not many people will get much at the Valley this year. These three teams will be in the top 6. Time to worry is when we fail to beat Gillingham, Exeter and Wycombes of this league.

Judge the team after ten games. By then we will have played
Teams that will finish top 10 - Leeds, Southend, Huddersfield, Norwich and Charlton
Teams that will finish bottom half- Swindon, Gillingham, Tranmere, Hartlepool and Brighton

The season is not over after 4 games.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Agree that we need to keep things in perspective and losing to Charlton away is hardly a disgrace. What is worrying is, as Bernie pointed out, we have scored one goal from open play and that was an own goal :shock:

From what I have seen we are far too predictable, one dimensional and seriously lacking in pace and creativity. Hopefully we will however have enough to beat Gillingham next week at Fortress Bescot :D

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Bernie wrote:
The only goal we have scored in open play this season was the own goal at Brighton.

Wrong,you have forgot our first goal against Southend. Steve Jones header.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:56 pm

tape66 wrote:Wrong,you have forgot our first goal against Southend. Steve Jones header.

That was from a dead ball. Westlake took the free kick, back header from Troy, Jones nodded it in.

At Accrington Jones took a free kick, which was volleyed in by Nicholls. That also counts as a dead ball goal.

"Open play" means a goal that comes from open play, and not directly following a dead ball.

Our only goal from open play in our first five matches was scored by Andrew Whing at Brighton.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:00 pm

The point is of course, if we don't solve this problem - we will struggle - really struggle. Plus it will only make the home attendances dwindle.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season