Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds United (H) League 1 Tuesday 18/8/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
deanonev69
Glitterati

Re: Leeds United (H) League 1 Tuesday 18/8/09.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Exile wrote:...and on the plus side, no bookings. Well done the lads.

.....on the negative, we sold out of programmes. Got there at 7.15 and no sellers everywhere-went into the shop where the woman told me there was sellers down the away end!

She didn't look impressed when i said to her "do i look stupid?" (No comments please :wink: )

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:38 pm

caldy wrote:They had 19 shots to our 1.

And I think we only had one, maybe two shots against Southend. Our lack of firepower is really, really worrying.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm

Good performance on the whole, competed well and restricted Leeds to a handful of clear chances. Most of their other shots were from distance or well wide.

On tonights performance we will be difficult to beat but we definately need a striker as we had no real punch up front.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:41 pm

philthesaddler wrote:thats 6 goals conceded in the last 3 games and Im afraid we dont have enough going forward - like a lot of people have been saying since pre-season.

Two of those goals conceded against an almost dead cert for promotion, and four while we've had only ten men on the pitch. Don't think a leaky defence is a problem as long as we can keep the cards in the referee's pocket. Agree about a striker though. Still nearly a fornight before the transfer deadline.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks for that Phil!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:47 pm

Whitters wrote:Thanks for that Phil!

Same here, thanks for that! Seemed like a good atmosphere tonight.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:47 pm

A creditable performance without worrying their keeper - but to be fair, we restricted their chance well until very near the end. Never mind - I never expected anything from that game. Onwards and upwards.... still need a striker - I aint convinced about Parkin yet.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:50 pm

People know that im always first to criticise the Walsall team during recent years but for the first time in a while, Im happy with the performance but the result really gutted me. Yes Leeds are the best team in this league, they have the best players and the best fan base, but we had them fighting for every ball, every shot and every header.

OK the shots tally doesnt look healthy but it doesnt justify the game IMHO. Leeds had ridiculous efforts from way out the area that just didnt test Ince.

Hughes, Smith and Jones must take the credit tonight. Hughes looks immense and solid, whils Manny had his best game for Walsall. Jones caused Leeds trouble all night down the wing but he needs to be more consistent with his crossing.

Im happy tonight despite defeat and quietly confident that with an extra striker or a creative midfielder we could push into the top half, which would be a good season.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 pm

That was a thoroughly entertaining game. What football is all about.

Leeds deserved their win and i would suggest are certs for promotion. They displayed lots of quality on and off the ball and had they brought their shooting boots could've had a few more. However,Walsall displayed a lot of passion and determination against a high calibre outfit. Once again Manny Smith and Westlake were superb.

Although defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory i believe that, if we display the same determination and willingness to fight for every ball we will be ok this season. Yes, we need more quality but, that was a damn good effort.

Well done lads.

Also a special mention for Deeney. Previously i have doubted his ability but today and Saturday he demonstrated he can be a very effective player at this level. Work rate was fantastic. He ran himself into the gound even though he wasn't getting the ball as much as he would have liked. Well done chap.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:03 pm

Cracking game and atmosphere tonight.My Leeds fan mate thought that we deserved a point and that it was a good advertisment for league one football.
Yes they had more shots but we matched them for fight.
personally I thought Deeney was awesome tonight.Won everything and battled away non stop.Deserved mom but Smith was a credible choice also.
The only negatives were Till,Parkin and Bradley.I am also more than a little concerned that the manager could not see that Till was totally anonymous and did not get Nicholls on out right.
Although gutted that we lost I feel upbeat after that performance.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:05 pm

Just got in from tonights game, it was a decent performance and I thought we just about deserved a draw.

On the whole,we looked a solid unit,both at the back,where we defended sencibly,and in midfield where we worked hard.I thought Manny possibly could have done a little better with the second goal and tried to meet the ball rather than let it bounce,but it would be hard to critisize the lad after he was outstanding again,along with Hughes.Their partnership is looking very promising.

It is,however,obvious where our shortcomings are.Were just too one dimensional up top.Again,both Parkin and Deeney tried hard,but rarely did they look like breaking in behind their defence, apart from a couple of Deeney runs into the channels.Their just both too similar for my liking.It's obvious we need something different up there,wheather that be someone with pace,i.e. Nicholls,or someone who will drop off and play in that pace between the opposition defence and midfield.

We also seem to ignore our right side when we go forward.Jones had an excellent second half,but it seemed that everytime we went forward the ball went left,Till was in a decent amount of space a few times and was just ignored.It didnt help either with Richards going off.That effectively nullified any creativity from midfield.

ON the whole though,a decent performance,we should be too dissapointed.With bit of extra quality in the final third,we could have won,but I guess that costs money!!!!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:09 pm

m&m wrote: Till was totally anonymous

saddler_nic wrote:Till was in a decent amount of space a few times and was just ignored

Funny how people see things differently! :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Cracking atmosphere, decent game - excellent rearguard defensive performance.
Beckford looked VERY lively and probably deserved his goal, a clinical and confident finish.
Hughes, Smith, Jones & Westlake were excellent.
Vincent tends to do alot of hoofing but is generally solid.
Taundry & Till worked very very hard & both did a lot defensively.
However Mark bradley is absolutely cack & Sam Parkin is very very poor.

One thing that baffled me was - why on earth is Nicholls not starting or at least getting 25 minutes?.

We're in desperate need of some creativity, someone able to pick defences apart. We're fine at the back,much better than last season, we just lack upfront massively. Parkin isn't as good as jabo or ricketts individually never mind the both of them. A striker is a BIG MUST if we're to do anything more than a lower mid table finish.

Insane Saddler!

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:37 pm

What a superb game of football. As a unit the team played really well and I don't want to curse us but I think we'll be fine in this league. We might even surprise a few!

Leeds have got a very good squad and you can see why they should be there, thereabouts, come the end of the season. Beckford proved to be the difference in the end but the lads fought for everything and we were unlucky not to get a draw. The stats don't tell the true story for those who weren't there.

Special mentions for Troy, Hughes, Manny (was he fouled for Beckford's goal? To me it looked like Beckford was backing into Smith before he turned and shot?), Westlake, Taundry when he came on, and Jones, who I thought were all superb. Clayton's save in the first half was top draw as well. Till couldn't get into the game much as everything was played down the left in the second half in particular. Bradley seemed to be off the pace a little which was a slight disappointment. Parkin put himself about but everything he won seemed to go the opposite way to where Troy was going. There were encouraging signs that a partnership could work between them though given time. Another striker should be a priority still as people have said.

A final mention for the crowd. The support we gave the lads tonight was something I haven't heard for a long, long time at home. We even managed to mute the Leeds fans at times, which many teams have tried and failed! Lets keep it going boys and girls because its evident the lift it gives to the players.

UTS

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Unfortunately it was Manny's fault for the goal. He let the ball once and allowed Beckford the space to score. Unfortunate, cos he played so well bar that lapse of judgment.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:00 pm

People are saying we need another striker, which yes I agree with to a certain degree, but Alex is a striker, why not try him up front, and whats happened to Will Gigg? He looked really good when I saw him in pre-season.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:05 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:People are saying we need another striker, which yes I agree with to a certain degree, but Alex is a striker, why not try him up front, and whats happened to Will Gigg? He looked really good when I saw him in pre-season.

True. Maybe we need to try different partnerships, but if the window closes and that doesn't work, we're short of strikepower till Christmas. I'd hope Grigg gets his chance this season, but I'd be tempted not to blood him till later in the campaign.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:11 pm

I really enjoyed tonights game. Some great performances from us - Westlake, Jones, Vincent, Hughes, Smith and Deeney stood out for me.
I can't see how Ince can be blamed for their equaliser - it was a great move by them.
Pity that Beckford - who had played like a drain all evening and was most notable for his persistant, and frequently unpunished, fouling of Smith and Hughes - should have the opportunity for a great instinctive finish.
Who was it who put a header wide in the second half?
I'm disappointed that we had so few efforts on goal - though as someone else has noted, a lot of Leeds' shots were routine stuff for Ince to deal with and posed no real threat.
I remain to be convinced about Parkin - Jones' crosses seem to have the potential to be a potent weapon but it's not clicking between the two of them. I hope that will be rectified in the coming weeks.
As is so often the case, we seem to be just a few pieces away from being an impressive outfit.
Westlake seems as though he might be the next one off the 'Production line' - I hope he stays around long enough for the glue on the letters on his first-team shirt to dry!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:16 pm

thought we played well second half without really threatening. Deeney and Parkin may have worked hard but never really looked like scoring, although they didn't get much service. Worried that Deeney and Parkin are too similar to play together, the way both of them were out paced by their central defenders when chasing balls was embarassing at times.

Was crying out for Nicholls to come on and inject some pace into the frontline with 25 minutes to go, can't understand why he only got 5 minutes at the end. We seriously need a cutting edge and some creativity in midfield. What's happening with this O'Keefe? I thought he was supposed to be a quality attacking midfielder? If so why didn't he come on? If not why did we sign him? Inexperience cost us in the end, we should not have lost from being one up with a few minutes left, but I suppose with the average age of our team that's something we will have to get used to. Some very good performances, Westlake looks like he could be a very useful player. Thought the one bit of real class from us going forward was Jones when he won the penalty. Wish he hadn't though cos otherwise we would probably have got a point! Still when he scored the penalty at least I have seen Parkin touch the ball now, which is an improvement on his performance last Tuesday.

Oh well it was a good performance at times against a team that will probably get promoted but still galling to lose to those muppets, especially in the way we did. We still need a Sodje :wink:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:23 pm

I realy do think Leeds were lucky. They never realy looked like scoring if I'm honest. It took a moment of magic/luck to win the game. Our defence was superb, keeping Leeds out.

I have to say that we are lacking upfront. The amount of times Jones got into a crossing position but to find no one in the box was worrying.

Manny was superb for us. I thought the whole team was on the whole, just very unlucky at the end.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Same old , same old. Didn't go, but from the first few games it is clear we have exactly the same problems we had under Mullen.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:05 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Same old , same old. Didn't go, but from the first few games it is clear we have exactly the same problems we had under Mullen.

A Sodje is the answer, why cant CH see it?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:09 am

Toothless performance up front. Deeney didn't want to know and Parkin's a donkey.

Manny Smith got turned inside and out by Beckford for the winner, which spoilt his otherwise good performance.

Ince & Westlake were the stars for us.

Timing & nature of our last 2 substitutions was a disaster. An experienced manager like CH should know better. Deeney should have been replaced by Nichols much earlier. O'Keefe should have come on for the ineffective Taundry. Why take Jones off? We offered little after that.

Badly missed Mattis, but up front is the real issue, better off throwing Grigg in, Parkin's a pub team player. One of the worst centre forwards I've seen at Walsall. He makes Canerio look good.
Last edited by Asps on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Same old , same old. Didn't go, but from the first few games it is clear we have exactly the same problems we had under Mullen.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:19 am

Exile wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

are you trying to tell me something Exile? Bloody stay away :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:50 am

belgiansaddler wrote:are you trying to tell me something Exile? Bloody stay away :mrgreen:

Oy! I'll have you know I turn up to every game I can, and love lining Bonser's pockets while contributing to the playing side (copyright MMF 2008) :D

So, see you in 2013. :wink:

Mozza_saddler

Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:21 am

Very good game gutted we couldnt get a point from the game and all 3 would have been fantastic, oh well a lot of positives to take from the game.

Ince- Fantastic save to deny beckford, kicking woeful as usual other than that didnt really have to make a save.

Westlake- Another composed performance, looking like a very good prospect and rhys will have to work hard to get his place back.

Hughes/Manny- Working up a very good partnership together and a solid display frm both of them, manny in particular was outstanding tonight.

Vincent- Didnt get forward at all but was also pretty solid at the back and did what he had to.

Till- Didn't have the best of games tonight but i think the lad has potential and to be fair tonight we tended to use jones on the left more than till on the right.

Taundry- Decent battling display little creativity however.

Bradley- Didn't seem with it tonight, we know he can't tackle but just didnt look like bradley had much about him tonight, dissapointing performance.

Jones- Best performance so far from us, was a big threat to the leeds right back all night, showed good bursts of pace and won us the penalty.

Parkin- Scored a penalty again but think its unfair to write him off yet, didn't have much service tonight, did ok but nothing more than that.

Deeney- I was impressed with Troy tonight think he has improved a great deal and his first touch inparticular was quality.

TheWhite

Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:44 am

Leeds fan here....

I sometimes check out rival fan forums after a match to see how they think the game went. I've noticed a few of the usual "I HATE LEEDS", "DIRTY LEEDS", "LEEDS WERE LUCKY" comments, but in general it's nice to actually see some intelligent fans seeing things as they are. I'm honestly quite surprised at the boards you have here, they seem pretty active with a few thousand members, much better than some I have seen.

In regards to the game, I thought in quality terms it was pretty poor from both sides, we definitely had the best chances but if it had finished a draw I certainly wouldn't have felt hard done to. The atmosphere was superb for a relatively small gate, I think spurred on by a game that while lacking quality had plenty of fight. I totally agree with the comments in regards to you needing a new striker, I thought the big guy Parkin played very well against 2 central defenders who are normally pretty solid in the air. He seemed to be winning so many headers all night and I think if you'd had a quality striker with some pace running on to them you could have caused us massive problems.

I was hugely impressed by the young lad you have at the back, Manny Smith, he was excellent all night and I don't think Beckford/Becchio enjoyed playing against him. Steve Jones was impressive out on the wing as well, seems to have pace to burn and looks a very decent player at this level.

All in all a pretty enjoyable night, especially with us nicking it right at the end. My only problem was your stewards pre-match, they were shockingly poor and didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing.

Anyway, hopefully see you guys next year! (If you guys get promoted with us that is) :P

LEEDS, LEEDS, LEEDS!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 am

TheWhite wrote:Leeds fan here....

I sometimes check out rival fan forums after a match to see how they think the game went. I've noticed a few of the usual "I HATE LEEDS", "DIRTY LEEDS", "LEEDS WERE LUCKY" comments, but in general it's nice to actually see some intelligent fans seeing things as they are.

TheWhite wrote:I'm honestly quite surprised at the boards you have here, they seem pretty active with a few thousand members, much better than some I have seen.

TheWhite wrote:The atmosphere was superb for a relatively small gate,

TheWhite wrote:Anyway, hopefully see you guys next year! (If you guys get promoted with us that is) :P

Patronising git. :mrgreen: :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:56 am

TheWhite wrote:Leeds fan here....

I sometimes check out rival fan forums after a match to see how they think the game went. I've noticed a few of the usual "I HATE LEEDS", "DIRTY LEEDS", "LEEDS WERE LUCKY" comments, but in general it's nice to actually see some intelligent fans seeing things as they are. I'm honestly quite surprised at the boards you have here, they seem pretty active with a few thousand members, much better than some I have seen.

In regards to the game, I thought in quality terms it was pretty poor from both sides, we definitely had the best chances but if it had finished a draw I certainly wouldn't have felt hard done to. The atmosphere was superb for a relatively small gate, I think spurred on by a game that while lacking quality had plenty of fight. I totally agree with the comments in regards to you needing a new striker, I thought the big guy Parkin played very well against 2 central defenders who are normally pretty solid in the air. He seemed to be winning so many headers all night and I think if you'd had a quality striker with some pace running on to them you could have caused us massive problems.

I was hugely impressed by the young lad you have at the back, Manny Smith, he was excellent all night and I don't think Beckford/Becchio enjoyed playing against him. Steve Jones was impressive out on the wing as well, seems to have pace to burn and looks a very decent player at this level.

All in all a pretty enjoyable night, especially with us nicking it right at the end. My only problem was your stewards pre-match, they were shockingly poor and didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing.
Anyway, hopefully see you guys next year! (If you guys get promoted with us that is) :P

LEEDS, LEEDS, LEEDS!

It's not every day we have a cup final, give them a break :mrgreen: :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season