Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (H) League 1 Saturday 15/8/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Jockey
UTS Legend

Re: Southend United (H) League 1 Saturday 15/8/09.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Just realised that we didn't have a minute silence for Siir Bobby Robson today. Very disappointing.

All opening day matches had a minutes applause. It was the turn of the premiership this weekend, we did ours at Brighton

Walsall_fan1992
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:27 pm

I sat in the walsall bitesize stand i think its called anyway today for the first time in about 3/4 years, and being so close to the pitch gave me a different perspective on the game as i usually see it. I see how little time players have on the ball, the physicality of the game and how hard players work.

I thought the work the lads put in defensively, especially Jones was exceptional. Vincent and Westlake were brilliant and Westlake made one outstanding tackle at 2-1 which would have put the game beyond doubt. Not sure what happened to Ince, had a very big off day but still would prefer him over Gilmartin, although if he carries on playing like he did today, then my mind may change.

On the game, i thought first half we were very good, good passing and the defence was strong, but unfortuantly we always wanted to walk the ball in the net which was very annoying. Second half, the game changed after Mattis's (which i thought very harsh) sending off. He made only two miss timed challened the whole game and got booked for both, the second was very soft from my angle. Then the 'mistake' i thought we were going to blow it, but credit to the team for bouncing back and getting a well deserved point. Parkin tried hard but somehow seems somehow not to win headers, and has a lack of movement up-front which didnt help the team, was much better when nicholls came on.

Overall im optimistic, i think we have a good platform to build on, and i am looking forward to leeds on tuesday.

UTS

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:44 am

What baffled me was the managers tactics after the sending off Mattis had to go it was clearly a bookable offence.
Why did Parkin stay on the pitch he was never a threat until the penalty , had Deeney gone up front i feel we could have won the game without Ince's howler off course supose it all water under bridge .

I'm glad fans are starting to wake up the fact Ince is not as good as many make out and again his kicking is getting past a joke , Gilmartin should be given a run in the side but i doubt very much he will .

Of the new boys , very impressed with Hughes he a Smith my MOTM look very solid
Vincent just as i thought very solid left back , Richards some nice touches but to often just lofted the ball forward no real creativity . Jones look very nippy some excellent runs looks an handful . Till %100 effort but again didn't create an awful lot.
Parkin , won very litlle in the air , poor first touch seemed unable to jump very disappointing.

All in all not a bad performance certainly not a top 6 performance , very solid at the back , lacking in the creative department .

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:57 am

I think the problem with us, is we have no purpose in our play. We had a lack of it at Brighton, Accy & yesterday against Southend. When we get on the ball we just don't seem to have a plan. It's either a pass that gets us nowhere or a hoof to Parkin, who is rubbish in the air. We need to sort out a game plan. Get it down the wings and get balls into the box. When we did get it down and passed the ball, it seemed to always go backwards and then hoofed up.

We need purpose in our play. Not just hoof ball. Get in wide to Till, Jones, or whoever is on the wings. Get the fullbacks on the over lap so we can get crosses into the box.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:35 am

serioiusly if Mattis's second yellow is a booking players would never tackle anybody, it wasnt a bad tackle it had no malice. Football is becoming far too soft.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:46 am

Im not singling anyone out in here particularry, but what the hell do you lot see in Deeney, he's useless and should go back to laying bricks, why are we playing upfront with 2 suposid target men if were looking to pass the ball, drop Deeney and start with Nicholls and Parkin, i seriously dont now why were een tryingto make Deeney into a target man, he's what, 5"7 maybe 5"8, too small too slow, play nicholls and use his pace with Parkin, or play Nicholls and Deeney, just not Parkin and Deeney together, yesterday clearly proved it wont work.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:43 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Im not singling anyone out in here particularry, but what the hell do you lot see in Deeney, he's useless and should go back to laying bricks, why are we playing upfront with 2 suposid target men if were looking to pass the ball, drop Deeney and start with Nicholls and Parkin, i seriously dont now why were een tryingto make Deeney into a target man, he's what, 5"7 maybe 5"8, too small too slow, play nicholls and use his pace with Parkin, or play Nicholls and Deeney, just not Parkin and Deeney together, yesterday clearly proved it wont work.

Deeney if 5ft 11, so he's not small. He's not slow either. He's not the quickest, but nowhere near being slow.

And you're suggesting that we play Sam 'Can't head a ball' Parkin as a target man?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:57 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:Im not singling anyone out in here particularry, but what the hell do you lot see in Deeney, he's useless and should go back to laying bricks, why are we playing upfront with 2 suposid target men if were looking to pass the ball, drop Deeney and start with Nicholls and Parkin, i seriously dont now why were een tryingto make Deeney into a target man, he's what, 5"7 maybe 5"8, too small too slow, play nicholls and use his pace with Parkin, or play Nicholls and Deeney, just not Parkin and Deeney together, yesterday clearly proved it wont work.

Deeney if 5ft 11, so he's not small. He's not slow either. He's not the quickest, but nowhere near being slow.

And you're suggesting that we play Sam 'Can't head a ball' Parkin as a target man?

And your suggesting Deeney can!?

i was questioning why were are playing 2 target men when we are tring to pass the ball if you can read, especially when we have a much better striker in Nicholls, neithr Parkin or Deeney are a good.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:41 pm

I hadn't seen Deeney since his end of season good form, and to be honest I was quite disappointed - I don't remember him being in attacking positions or having a shot. Let's hope it's a one off.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:47 pm

tinned wrote:All the Gilmartin knockers keep bowing down at the feet of Ince. If I read one more time that we're going to lose 5 or 6 if Rene is playing then I will explode. Ince is a clown and he's not half as good as some of you lot claim. Gilmartin first choice now.

Parkin manages to jump about 6 inches shorter than he is. I gave him a 5.6 for the penalty. The artistic interpretation. From middle block 1 it was obvious it was a dive (Louise was just behind me and has the same opinion).

I thought Hutchings made a terrible decision when Mattis got sent off. Bringing Deeney back into midfield a leaving concrete boots up front on his own just totally finished us as an attacking force and handed the initiative straight to them.

Sorry, tinned, but I've now seen it on the box and it was a penalty. No doubts.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Wasn`t it Deeney`s header for Jones goal :?:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:22 pm

clawtheolder wrote:Wasn`t it Deeney`s header for Jones goal :?:

Yes it was

Frazy85

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:01 pm

I thought Deeney did very well yesterday, he set up a goal, he did all the chasing, infact he was doing two players worth as parkin hardly was chasing or winning balls in the air at all. Hes not going to get goals and chances if other players arent going to help him, and his position is upfront, dropping him back is not a good idea, had he played upfront on his own instead of parkin after the sending off he would have been chasing everything and who knows, but then again, we may not have got the penalty had parkin not been upfront.

Anyone else think Ince has put on weight considerably since last season? He looked shaky first half and then obviously the mistake in the 2nd half was awful, i still think he shouldnt be dropped, at least not yet, because his goalkeeping could prove to keep us up (or take us up?) this season. Westlake had a brilliant game, please dont drop him as soon as Weston is back because he was possibly the best player on the pitch. Smith and Hughes were very solid at the back, and Vincent i also thought had a good game. Till looked really good, Mattis looked good until the sending off, i definitely thought he should have been brought off early because you could see a red card coming, Richards looked comfortable but seemed to pass the ball around in defence too much instead of just clearing it in dangerous situations, and Jones looked a bit unfit at times i thought but a good goal in the first half. Parkin hardly won a header all game, the best thing he did was get the penalty at the end, but apart from that he made Deeney work twice as hard, who i thought played a good game as i said above.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:48 pm

I have to say that IMO, apart from Ince's mistake, that is the best i've seen Walsall play for a while, not all game, but in certain periods, there was more urgency than normal.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:25 pm

Rob_Walsall wrote:I have to say that IMO, apart from Ince's mistake, that is the best i've seen Walsall play for a while, not all game, but in certain periods, there was more urgency than normal.

:shock:

Were you watching the same match as me? We were shocking. Constant hoof ball. When we did try and pass the ball, we went backwards and hoofed it at Parkin.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Yesterdays game was one of the most boring performances i've seen by a walsall team in ages, there was barely a chance,not much creativity & far to much hoofball. If people think that was good, imagine what'll be made of when we do play well.

boris the saddler

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Well, despite the preditable negativity from the usual suspects who seem to love nothing better than moaning, this wasn't a bad performance in truth.

Walsall were solid at the back, largely dominated the midfield and looked tidy, trying to pass the ball (NOT as some have said playing 'hoofball').

This was flaggd up as a potentially a tricky game and yet we looked in complete control and in no danger until what was undoubtedly a harsh sending off...and then a complete blooper from Ince. It happens, get over it people! It DOES NOT MEAN we were cack. We were the better or 2 average sides.

So, let's try for once to keep it all in perspective shall we? Overall, yes we lack bite/attacking prowess. But there were many more positives than negatives:

Smith - truly superb, a worthy MoM won EVERYTHING in the air
Westlake - excellent, looked like a seasoned professional
Huges - solid enough, I like him
Till - tidy, even dangerous at times - not the waste of space some (as usual) branded him BEFORE he even played!
Jones - a threat, took his goal well
Richards - OK
Nicholls - came on and made an impact, looks quick, sharp and determined

The team - never gave up, came from 2-1 down to secure a draw!!! What's not to like?
The football - kept possession, tried to play not like Mullen hoof

The negatives:
Parkin needs to improve, sems to have poor control and clearly awful in the air. BUT made the penalty and saved the game. Thta's what he's paid to do folks!
Deeney - didn't look dangerous as far as I could tell, but give him time
We gernarlly lacked cutting egde, time will tell how big a problem this is

BUT, like it or not folks, this was a pretty tidy performance from a Walsall side that battled, looked organised and tried to play football until thown off course by what looked to me like a borderline decision by an otherwse excellent ref.

Can I apologise to all of the moaners who dominate this site - the Vare a VOCAL MINORITY, so many people just don't bother to post or visit these days because they are so heartily sick of the negativity/parnoia - but it just WAS NOT that bad!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:50 pm

In summary...

We were better than them in the first half and played to our strengths. Ince barely had a save to make, and the back four all looked solid. Westlake's composure given that it was his debut was a joy to watch.

Yet again we were let down by an experienced 'pro'. Both challenges were cast-iron yellow cards, so we had no right to complain.
The decision to play Deeney in midfield once we went down to 10 just meant we got completely overloaded. What must Bradley & O'Keefe have been thinking?

Definite penalty, which was well taken by Parkin despite a patchy performance from him in general. Nicholls did well to put him in the position to win the penalty.

They looked a pretty decent side, but lacked a bit of firepower up front.

All in all, could have been better but could have been a darn sight worse.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:51 pm

I think Parkin getting his first goal will give him confidence. Thats what i hope anyway.

White and Red Neck
UTS Regular

Location: "In a Land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields that was the Old South....."

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:58 pm

That was surely one of the worst displays of Third tier football served up at a home game. The performance of young Westlake and his co-defenders excepted (outfield!), I felt robbed having shelled out £36 in ticket monies, and then finding Hitchcock's North By Northwest was on TV, just rubbed salt into the wound. I'll be scanning the TV listings a little more carefully on future Saturdays.
Meanwhile, bring on Leeds.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:18 am

Hadn't intended to go but a last minute change of plans saw me n me Dad at the Bescot on Saturday.

For the 1st 60mins Southend didn't look like they'd score given another 60mins of play. 1-0 up and cruising. Till and Jones impressed, running at defenders in a way I haven't seen a Walsall player do for a while. As has been said before though, we had no end product. Parkin wasn't up to much, but I think it was largely the service he was getting. You could see him getting frustrated in the 2nd half and the umpteenth ball sailed a foot over his head.

After Mattis went (justified for me. Silly boy!) we didn't look like we'd crumble but Ince gifting them the goal rocked us more.

I'm so glad it was us picking up points in the 90+minute for a change but we deserved more. Southend were toothless. I walked away feeling optomistic but we need more fire power. Whether its just how the ball is delivered to them or fresh blood, something needs to be done.

OH, as a side point. How many throw-ins did we waste! Just threw it to their player or attempted to flick something on when between 2 Southend players! Needs some training ground time.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:32 pm

I can't believe there are people doubting the penalty! Absolutely 100% foul in the box.

I'd go as far to say if that was given against us i'd have no problem with it.

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Not sure if a match thread is the best place for people to be having a Rene .v. Clayton fight, but just for the record, Rene's kicking at Accrington was rubbish too, so perhaps that negates part of the anti-Ince brigades armoury,

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I can't believe there are people doubting the penalty! Absolutely 100% foul in the box.

I'd go as far to say if that was given against us i'd have no problem with it.

looked a clear pen to me .

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Banksy wrote:serioiusly if Mattis's second yellow is a booking players would never tackle anybody, it wasnt a bad tackle it had no malice. Football is becoming far too soft.

Do you understand the rules of the game? The second yellow was for persistent fouling, which was perfectly justified as even just a few minutes after his first card Mattis continued to make niggly fouls.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Do you understand the rules of the game? The second yellow was for persistent fouling, which was perfectly justified as even just a few minutes after his first card Mattis continued to make niggly fouls.

If the second booking was for persistent infringement of the laws of the game, rather than for unsporting behaviour then it was harsh. Mattis cautioned for his first foul on 24 minutes, and then committed just one more on 27 minutes before his caution for a foul after 59 minutes. Three fouls over an hour is not really persistent.

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season