Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Accrington Stanley (A) Carling Cup 1st Round Tuesday 11/8/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Accrington Stanley (A) Carling Cup 1st Round Tuesday 11/8/09

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:08 pm

stanley were hardly all over us????????? ok they were poor but ...............

i dont think we got the ball in their half 2nd arf, apart from that and the quality of thye barmaid in the crown i agree

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:15 pm

We scored with our only shot on target, with or without Weston on the pitch.

Desperately lacking fire power up front. We need to strengthen quickly. Peeps cried me down for questioning CH at meet the manager night last week, but tonight proves our squad ain't good enough. It should be when we have had 2.5months of close season to get it sorted and there is money left to spend.

Weston's 1st yellow was deserved, but he was unlucky with the second - he took the ball one foot slightly high, but took the man as well on a wet surface right in front of their bench. The Accy player went down like he'd broke his leg & the Accy bench come running on the pitch. You knew he was getting the red then & when he did their player got up an trotted off. The writing was one the wall, but with 10 men we should have done a lot better. We were poor, they should have finished us off, but hit the post mid second half.

Highlights of the night: -

Borrowing Belgiansaddler's coat

The Crown

The Crown's blonde bar maid.

£4.00 for a cheeseburger and chips in the ground

Stewards who were courtous and left you have a fag out back at half time

£2.00 for a bottle of Bud in the ground.

Abusing Wallet & fellow cronies through the ajar window of the portacabin dressing room upon exiting the ground.

Standing in the pouring rain on a terrace in a good old fashioned crap ground.

Seeing Willy Nilly's new Sean Connery grey beard

Not having to endure extra time and penalties.

Decent following of 220 Saddler - Fifth of the crowd

Roll on Saturday
Last edited by Asps on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:16 pm

Wendy Mumford wrote:We only won on Saturday at Brighton thanx to an own goal

And we've got knocked out the cup in the first round by a team in a lower division than us, in a match where we only score one goal, and had a player sent off in the first half. Same old Walsall, conceeding a losing goal in injury time.

I'm Affraid Lads and lasses, WE AM GOOOING DOWN!!!!

WE AM guano!

To be fair, your a bit silly.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:22 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:get a life mumford, we will have a cup run next season :mrgreen:

The only way that will happen is if we get a Sodje.

We need a Sodje. Everyone else has had one, why ain't we had one - its not fair.

We'd do well in the cup with Sodje. Any Sodje will do from any land of Sodje.

Come on Walsall get us Sodje.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:25 pm

Asps wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:get a life mumford, we will have a cup run next season :mrgreen:

The only way that will happen is if we get a Sodje.

We need a Sodje. Everyone else has had one, why ain't we had one - its not fair.

We'd do well in the cup with Sodje. Any Sodje will do from any land of Sodje.

Come on Walsall get us Sodje.

I agree, we are going no where without a Sodje. Bonser out !

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:33 pm

Poor result.

It is interesting to see many of people have commented and said the same thing over and over again over pre season and the first two games - we lack fire power. It is blindingly obvious we need another striker. We also need a creative midfield player else we will struggle I fear.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:35 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Poor result.

It is interesting to see many of people have commented and said the same thing over and over again over pre season and the first two games - we lack fire power. It is blindingly obvious we need another striker. We also need a creative midfield player else we will struggle I fear.

One word. Sodje. It's the future.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:40 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:stanley were hardly all over us????????? ok they were poor but ...............

i dont think we got the ball in their half 2nd arf, apart from that and the quality of thye barmaid in the crown i agree

Parkin shot just over after good work from Deeney - I think that was our only real effort on goal in the second half.

Stanley huffed and puffed but apart from hitting the post (with the aid of a deflection) they scored with two of their three shots on target. You'd expect 11 men to have more possession than 10 men but Rene's goal was hardly under siege - Stanley simply aren't that good - and I'd still have backed us to win with a full team.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:53 pm

Yes, we defiatley need another striker! Tonight Parkin did nothing really at all apart from have one shot (which i think was off target), he was crud! Also, Roberts isnt fully fit yet / Go injured again tonight...he was limping during the second half. Does anyone know why Hughes was missing?

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:55 pm

AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:typical walsall

Hutchings Out!!!!

Prick

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:57 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:You cant have players sent off in the first half under any circumstances, whatever the opposition.
Very disappointing.
Back to square one.

Shut up glory hunter !!!!
Go back to your cockney friends

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:59 pm

SWS1 wrote:Bollixed with added time knockout!
Guano!
Thank you, Rhys. You prat.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

looked in the mirror lately ?

[modded - content]

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:00 am

Wendy Mumford wrote:We only won on Saturday at Brighton thanx to an own goal

And we've got knocked out the cup in the first round by a team in a lower division than us, in a match where we only score one goal, and had a player sent off in the first half. Same old Walsall, conceeding a losing goal in injury time.

I'm Affraid Lads and lasses, WE AM GOOOING DOWN!!!!

WE AM guano!

[post deleted - content]

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:06 am

I was pretty dissapointed tonight. Like said above, we were comfortable first half. Took the lead and pressured Accy.
Then enter Mr Weston, already on a yellow, dangerously slid in (looked two footed) and the wet surface just made it worse. If it wasn't a 2nd yellow, it would have been a straight red.

Suprisingly I thought Rene played well. Dominant coming to claim crosses and made a couple of good saves. No chance with the goals. Good performance from him.

MOTM thought, for me, goes to Alex Nicholls by a country mile. At times it was almost as if he was playing Accy on his own. Always looked to attack the defence, scored a good goal and never stopped running. Fantastic performance from him.

I was dissapointed to see Hughes & Till had been dropped. But later learnt that Hughes has a knock to his hip and was therefor sitting in the stands. Don't know why there was no Till.

Overall, a dissapointing night. Weston needs to take a long, hard look at himself. Twice now he has been sent off for reckless challenges. The rain just added insult to injury for our fans. We realy do need more firepower up top.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:29 am

At least we lost away from home this year - though again to a 2nd division team who will struggle to make any impact in their league, again after we'd taken the lead and again had a senior pro set off in ridiculous circumstances.

What possessed Weston to make that challenge, out wide on the half-way line, having already been booked? He did get the ball and, in another footballing era, he probably would have escaped without punishment, but not these days.

Parkin also seemed more preoccupied with 'Letting the opposition know he was there' than linking up with his team-mates: as I didn't go to Brighton I was looking forward to seeing him play, but, on first view, I'm disappointed.

There's no lack of willing runners in the team but no threat up front. I was suprised that Parkin was not sacrificed following Weston's dismissal but Hutchings didn't feel the need to reorganise to that extent. I thought he was bound to go off in the second half when Deeney came on but, again, no.

Accy did what they do well and, though we weren't under great pressure, we never looked safe. I'm sorry for Mattis, whose mistake led to their winning goal, as he had a good game otherwise, and for Gilmartin who made two good saves and did his best to prevent their equaliser.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:55 am

Yet another disappointing exit from the League Cup, and after wondering how many we were gonna get initially, it all changed with the sending off. I still think it was harsh (the second yellow anyway), but as others have said he'd already been booked and as soon as the Stanley dug out got involved it was only gonna be one decision from the ref.

A proper shambles of an evening and lots of work still to be done.

Liked the gravy and chips though, but I could have done with finding out that alcohol was on sale a bit earlier in half time. I really needed a drink for that one.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:27 am

The reason we lost was because of Rhys Weston, he is a very selfish moron, as a person I reckon he's an idiot, club captain my ringpiece

Was nice to mix with the sub humans, there were some young Accy fans of 6 or 7 years old trying to get involed in some banter. they were greeted with what only can be decdribed as a sub human cretin with the following retort:

"eff off you c**t, go and grow some pubes"

UTTER SCUM

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:59 am

belgiansaddler wrote:accy mullered us 2nd half, if they had not been so poor they would have had a hatfull. westons sending off was debatable to say the least. even the stewards said he got the ball. after that i didnt even see us have a shot or a decent attack. apart from that i had a blinding night, the barmaid in the crown (and the comnpany) made it worthwhile, i said at 7.45 we should of stayed there :D

I often say that at 5 to 3 in the Saddlers Club :wink:

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:46 am

At least we can be confident of Rhys leading by example:

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/08/11/weston-warning-ahead-of-cup-tie/

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:59 am

Whatever Tyldesley_saddler said before he was modded, I agree with....

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:10 am

1041 - is this the lowest number of people ever to have watched our beloved team in a League/FA Cup/Carling Cup competition?
The people of Accrington should be ashamed of themselves.
Don't they know we're a big club and they should have come out in numbers to watch us?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:27 am

A tale of two halves without a doubt, but ultimately the match was lost for us by Weston. How can anyone defend that tackle? It was a 60-40 challenge in his favour, two players standing up going for the ball....until Weston decided to launch himself feet-first :shock: It was a coward's tackle. A "proper" player would have stayed on his feet and won the tackle (see Vincent 2nd half who put in some excellent strong challenges).

Despite the sending off, the 2nd half was extremely poor and we failed to string more than 2 passes together. Parkin and Jones were pretty anonymous all match. Deeney looked a world-beater when he came on compared to them.

Overall;

Gilmartin - good performance, handled well,kicked well most of the time, commanded his area, no chance with the goals. To be fair, if Ince had a game like this we'd all be saying how brilliant he was.
Weston - enough said. Not fit to be club captain
Vincent - very solid defensively, offers little going forward
Smith - very good performance, although lost his man for the winner
Roberts - looked shaky at times. I hope it's just a lack of fitness, I've seen him play much better for us
Taundry - not much impression at right midfied but I thought he had a good game at fullback
Richards - in and out of the game, sometimes looks classy, at other times seems incapable of playing a 5-yard pass
Mattis - superb performance, seemed to be everywhere, getting in good challenges. Just a shame he made the mistake that lead to the winner
Jones - very little contribution
Parkin - even less contribution. Was roughed up by their centre-half early on then clearlt didn't fancy it. Didn't win a header all night
Nicholls - a performance full of willing. Chased everything and looked dangerous at times, but was on his own most of the 2nd half
Sub, Deeney - looked a world-beater! Took players on, held the ball up well. I think it was just the comparison with Parkin that made him look this good though!

Hutchings - the jury's out as far as I'm concerned. His record in the end last season was little better than Mullen's. Whilst I'm sure he and O'Connor have more about them than our former manager, that has to translate into results. WE'll see how the season unfolds. I was reasonably optimistic....until I saw the team in action for the first time last night!

edit: Nice to meet moaninoldgit by the way :) Not much moanin being done (considering!) :D

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:31 am

Whitters wrote:1041 - is this the lowest number of people ever to have watched our beloved team in a League/FA Cup/Carling Cup competition?

I think that this might be a post 1945 record, but I have not checked this.

According to "The Complete Record of Walsall Football Club" the lowest league gate ever was 500 against Darwin on 2 September 1893 when we were in the second division and played at the Chuckery, the lowest at Fellows Park was 1,047 on 25 January 1926 against Halifax.

The lowest crowd ever to watch a first team match was just 23 paying spectators on a snowy day in January 1895 for a Staffordshire Cup tie against Burton.

The lowest at Bescot/Banks's is 2,045 against Maidstone on 30 March 1992.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 am

Bangsection provides a good summary of last night's game.

Until the sending off we looked fairly neat and tidy with the front two linking up well. It was my first game of the season, and what impressed me was the way we looked to get the ball forward quickly, but from midfield rather than the back four, as we often did last season.
Richards looked the best player on the pitch, and was about the only player composed enough to look for players in space out wide. His delivery from a free kick for the goal was spot on, and Nicholls finished well.

As has been said already however, things changed when Rhys 'club captain' Weston decided to ignore the rules of the game. The first challenge was as solid a yellow card as you're likely to see. Having done that however, when in an identical situation a few minutes later, he ploughed through the back of their bloke (who, incidentally was facing his own goal and posing no threat from right on the touchline). Whilst a large sectiuon of our fans were bemoaning the fact that he got the ball, he went to ground from behind, so had to go through their player to get it. I doubt that referee will have an easier red card decision all season.

After that point, our weaknesses began to show through.
For a while, we went 4-5-1 with Parkin as the lone striker. That didn't work - despite being a big bloke, Parkin isn't mobile enough to operate on his own up front. To be fair to Hutchings, we did then revert to 2 up front with 3 in midfield and looked better when Deeney came on, but that ultimately led to our midfield getting pulled apart as they worked a cross into the box to win it in the last minute.

In terms of individual performances, Gilmartin did everything that was asked of him, Vincent was very solid at left back, Mattis and Richards combined well on the ball, with Mattis in particular doing an awful lot of tackling and blocking to boot, and Deeney gave us more of an edge up front when he came on. Other than that though, we were all too easy to play against.
Roberts and Smith were solid enough for most of the game, but their distribution was poor and meant that we were under pressure at the back too often for my liking.
Taundry doesn't have the positional sense to play at fullback, which is disappointing given the fact that playing at right back was what got him in and around the first team in the first place.
Jones barely touched the ball, and it was difficult to work out why.
Nicholls ran them ragged at the back for the first 20 minutes, but did very little after that - suggesting that he may be better coming on from the bench rather than starting? Having to shift him into midfield didn't help matters - for the first 20 minutes, I thought we finally had an operational big striker - quick striker partnership.

Another season of self destruction in the Carling Cup.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:39 am

Well i went last night in the hope of seeing walsall win and go through to the 2nd round and it just didnt happen .
Gilmartin : I couldnt fault him for the 1st goal , the 2nd goal maybe he could of come and cleared it like he did when he smashed mullin , then again he had a free header so our defenders should of cleared it.
Weston : Well done rhys for leading by example and getting yourself sent off you idiot.
Smith : Did well and handled mullin until the goal when he or roberts should of not let mullin have a free header.
Roberts : Again did well like smith.
Vincent: Did ok
Taundry : Did well wide right nice passes and touches on the ball suffered a bit when moved to right back.
Mattis : Our best player on the night in my opinion thought thats nothing to write home about.
Richards: Did ok good on the ball but faded when we went down to ten men .
Jones : Saw nothing from jones the entire time he was on the pitch might not be match fit yet or he could be injured i dont know.
Nicholls : Looked very bright upfront and scored a good goal with a good finish wasnt as effective when out wide right and still worked down that side.
Parkin : Did hardly anything during the game and nicholls won more flick ons and held the ball up more times he was upfront that parkin did in 90 minutes.
Deeny : Did ok should of started.
On positive note i got a picture with our new skipper mark hughes , i saw willy nillys new george clooney style beard.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:02 am

we need a sodje, i bloody laughed for about ten minutes at that this morning :lol: , quality.

It was a bad result, but i really dont care about this cup, we're never gonna do all that well in it, and its nowhere near as financially beneficial as the Fa cup, so im not all that bothered.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 am

Alot of people seem to be panicing a lil here, we wernt the only team to lose disappointly, Derby lost at Rotherham, Hereford beat Charlton, Sheff U lost at home to Port Fail, Colchester lost to Orient, Mk lost 1-4 at home to Swindon, me personally i'm not bothered about this cup and I doubt many of our players were either.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:33 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Alot of people seem to be panicing a lil here, we wernt the only team to lose disappointly, Derby lost at Rotherham, Hereford beat Charlton, Sheff U lost at home to Port Fail, Colchester lost to Orient, Mk lost 1-4 at home to Swindon, me personally i'm not bothered about this cup and I doubt many of our players were either.

It showed that the players were not bothered about the game last night

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:53 am

Pictures on the Accy website:

http://matchpics.fotopic.net/c1739291.html

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:05 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:me personally i'm not bothered about this cup and I doubt many of our players were either.

1984 and all that? Certainly one of the top three highlights of my 40 years of being a fan of the Saddlers, along with the two Graydon promotions.

Or is it just a defence mechanism after a game is lost, "well I wasn't really bothered anyway".

If our players weren't bothered I'd be staggered and I'd suggest they should find another profession.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season