Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Accrington Stanley (A) Carling Cup 1st Round Tuesday 11/8/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Accrington Stanley (A) Carling Cup 1st Round Tuesday 11/8/09

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:25 am

Jockey wrote:Spot the drenched UTS'ers. Even Asps moped Evo's head :lol:

Look at the UTS'ers doing the YMCA :wink:

Well that's me with my head under the P of kipax in the third of these three. Next to me is Junior Fensaddler, Mrs Fensaddler and father in law Fensaddler. I hadn't quite grasped what a doghole of a ground it was until I actually got in there. Telford's prior to redevelopment was better, and Willenhall probably have better facilities. Its no good in this day and age having a league ground which can't offer either seating or covered accommodation as an option for visiting fans. Still the parking was convenient and the catering significantly better than as Bescot. As for the performance - well, we barely turned up, didn't look all that bothered, frequently struggled to find any shape, but would have won against a very limited Accrington side had we kept eleven men on the pitch.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:34 am

Bernie wrote:Image

Using the pause button and screen capture I have downloaded a slightly blurry image of the moment that Weston played the ball.

Walsall are in the black and green. Weston can be seen on the far side just as he plays the ball. Edwards is partly hidden by the referee, about four feet away from Weston and the ball. You can see that Weston is playing the ball safely, whereas Edwards is leaning back slightly and going into Weston feet first.

That seems fairly conclusive. My instinct at the time was that Rhys was harshly treated and the tackle looked worse than it was because of the wet conditions, the oppo player going down like he was shot, and the reaction of the Accrington bench and supporters. However, what I didn't realise was that Rhys had reached the ball so long before the Accy player had even got there - my view was that they both got there together. If it is as it seems from this, the club do have grounds for appeal. Its a great pity that the ref got this so wrong, because the sending off undoubtedly changed the result of the game, and hence has had significant financial and footballing consequences for Walsall.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:15 am

From waht i saw on Sky last night I don't know how CH can say Weston tried to pull out of the challange .
i could tell from Westons reaction he knew he was off .

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:18 am

Duke wrote:From waht i saw on Sky last night I don't know how CH can say Weston tried to pull out of the challange .
i could tell from Westons reaction he knew he was off .

Serves weston right the idiot to get sent off should of known better.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:31 am

Anyone got the link to where i can watch the highlights of our game ?

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:38 am

big baz 1 wrote:Anyone got the link to where i can watch the highlights of our game ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/8198106.stm

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:29 am

Second Round Draw.

West Brom v Rotherham
Norwich v Sunderland
Tranmere v Bolton
QPR v Accrington
Bristol City v Carlisle
Leyton Orient v Stoke
Port Vale v Sheffield Wednesday
Hull v Southend
Leeds v Watford
Cardiff v Bristol Rovers
Portsmouth v Hereford
Crystal Palace v Manchester City
Wolves v Swindon
Gillingham v Blackburn
Blackpool v Wigan
Southampton v Birmingham
Preston v Leicester
Newcastle v Huddersfield
West Ham v Millwall
Hartlepool v Burnley
Nottingham Forest v Middlesbrough
Reading v Barnsley
Swansea v Scunthorpe
Doncaster v Tottenham
Peterborough v Ipswich

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:38 am

Using the pause button and screen capture I have downloaded a slightly blurry image of the moment that Weston played the ball.

Walsall are in the black and green. Weston can be seen on the far side just as he plays the ball. Edwards is partly hidden by the referee, about four feet away from Weston and the ball. You can see that Weston is playing the ball safely, whereas Edwards is leaning back slightly and going into Weston feet first.

Thanks for that Bern, I saw the highlights last night and thought that yellow card was harsh, he clearly got to the ball first, but on a wet pitch, and with plenty of momentum it looked a lot worse than it actually was.

It would have been easier for the Accrington player to pull out of the challenge as Rhys is already on the floor.

yoda
Site Addict

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:06 pm

The accy manager really should have seen red and I dont know what fisher price playground referee doesnt know entering the playing field = red.

fat moron.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:20 pm

fensaddler wrote:

That seems fairly conclusive. My instinct at the time was that Rhys was harshly treated and the tackle looked worse than it was because of the wet conditions, the oppo player going down like he was shot, and the reaction of the Accrington bench and supporters. However, what I didn't realise was that Rhys had reached the ball so long before the Accy player had even got there - my view was that they both got there together. If it is as it seems from this, the club do have grounds for appeal. Its a great pity that the ref got this so wrong, because the sending off undoubtedly changed the result of the game, and hence has had significant financial and footballing consequences for Walsall.

Unfortunately you cannot appeal two yellow cards. Even the Stewards by us were saying he got the ball and the two faced manager of Accrington said he was unfairly treated after reacting like him and his bench did.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Fair enough, Bernie - that shows he got to the ball first.
My concern is that even after he'd made contact with the ball, if his studs are showing and he continues to slide and make contact with their player, it's still a yellow card.
Perhaps it's not as sure-fire as my initial reaction suggested, but it's certainly not a decision Weston can feel all too aggreived about.

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:08 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Fair enough, Bernie - that shows he got to the ball first.
My concern is that even after he'd made contact with the ball, if his studs are showing and he continues to slide and make contact with their player, it's still a yellow card.
Perhaps it's not as sure-fire as my initial reaction suggested, but it's certainly not a decision Weston can feel all too aggreived about.

Rob,

I think Weston has very little defence. The challenge was at best reckless and he'd been very lucky to escape without a caution before the first card when he went in high and late on the edge of the Accy area. When you're in this situation minimising the risk is sometime more important than making every single tackle. (Scotland's captain ought to note this too :D )

I also think it's something of a red herring to blame the Accy manager, the ref had already gone for his card well before Coleman appeared on the scene.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:28 pm

There was a loose ball and Edwards and Weston both went for it. Weston got there first and having possession of the ball was entitled to the protection of the referee from an unfair challenge. Once Edwards was not going to reach the ball first then it was totally his responsibility to avoid making contact with Weston. There is no suggestion that Weston was showing studs - the video shows Edwards leaning back and going into Weston in a dangerous way.

It was really Edwards who made a "challenge" because at the point of contact Weston was in possession of the ball and Edwards was trying to take it off him.

Obviously things happened so fast that the referee got it wrong. That is perhaps understandable. However nobody who has the benefit of seeing the video and pausing the action to see it frame by frame can fail to see that if there was a foul then it was committed by Edwards.

If Weston had backed off and given Edwards a free run at the ball then it would have been easy for Edwards to wrong foot him and travelling at speed down the left wing he could have taken the ball past a stationary Weston and created a goal scoring opportunity.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:32 pm

I agree with Peru. Weston was an idiot to slide in on a wet surface, whilst running nearly full pace, and already on a yellow card. He is experienced and should know better. Also about saying Coleman influenced the refs decision is ridiculous. As Peru said, the ref went straight to his pocket after blowing the whistle.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:45 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:Anyone got the link to where i can watch the highlights of our game ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/8198106.stm

Thanks for the link plastic. First time I have seen the highlights. Looked a pretty poor game from that short clip!

Nicholls - good finish albeit slightly lucky! (pretty sure it was mis-hit)
Parkin - decent effort in 2nd half that just went over
Weston - looked really bad even though he got to the ball first. He was high with his tackle which is why he injured the player so much - if he had kept his feet down then he wouldn;t have caught him virtually on his knee joint!!
Their first goal - i can't beleive one of our defenders passed the clearance straight to their scorer - it was almost as if he set it up for him, and that was after the shocking defending that led to the scramble.

Good support from the travelling Saddlers though in what looked like pretty naff conditions!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:51 pm

PeruSaddler wrote:

Rob,

I think Weston has very little defence. The challenge was at best reckless and he'd been very lucky to escape without a caution before the first card when he went in high and late on the edge of the Accy area. When you're in this situation minimising the risk is sometime more important than making every single tackle. (Scotland's captain ought to note this too :D )

I also think it's something of a red herring to blame the Accy manager, the ref had already gone for his card well before Coleman appeared on the scene.

Not sure if you've been following this thread in full, but I think you'll find I'm pretty much in agreement with you.

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Bernie wrote:
Incidentally I could have quoted a couple of descriptions of Weston's tackle from those at the ground which are made look a bit silly by the video.

Registered Saddler wrote:
I do wonder whether most Walsall fans watch the matches with their eyes closed.

So not only do we have to travel hundreds of miles to stand on an uncovered terrace in the rain to watch Walsall lose but we then also have to endure the UTS video replay panel taking the p*ss because we may have interpreted a passage of play incorrectly?

Do me a favour.

For the record, I stand by my original report from the game. Because what you can't see clearly from the grainy footage from this angle (but what we could see clearly from behind the goal) is that Weston raised his leg after he won the ball to take the man out. Yes, their player arrived late - but Weston anticipates it by raising his leg first, as I said at the time. That's a foul and a yellow card.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:08 pm

AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:
Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:typical walsall

Hutchings Out!!!!

Prick

thats uncalled for mate i was having a joke.

your the one who is a prick if you post dumb comments like that.

Ok sorry, maybe i was out of order calling you a **** ! I do apoligise.
Maybe i should have put **** knocker !!!!!

[How many times do you need to be warned about avoiding the swear filter and abuse? - Mod.]

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:
Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:typical walsall

Hutchings Out!!!!

Prick

thats uncalled for mate i was having a joke.

your the one who is a prick if you post dumb comments like that.

Ok sorry, maybe i was out of order calling you a **** ! I do apoligise.
Maybe i should have put **** knocker !!!!!

[How many times do you need to be warned about avoiding the swear filter and abuse? - Mod.]

ill rise above it and be the better person :D :mrgreen:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 pm

bangsection wrote:
Bernie wrote:
Incidentally I could have quoted a couple of descriptions of Weston's tackle from those at the ground which are made look a bit silly by the video.

Registered Saddler wrote:
I do wonder whether most Walsall fans watch the matches with their eyes closed.

So not only do we have to travel hundreds of miles to stand on an uncovered terrace in the rain to watch Walsall lose but we then also have to endure the UTS video replay panel taking the p*ss because we may have interpreted a passage of play incorrectly?

Do me a favour.

For the record, I stand by my original report from the game. Because what you can't see clearly from the grainy footage from this angle (but what we could see clearly from behind the goal) is that Weston raised his leg after he won the ball to take the man out. Yes, their player arrived late - but Weston anticipates it by raising his leg first, as I said at the time. That's a foul and a yellow card.

I think that you can see that from the footage if you play it through and don't just look at a still image. All the Accrington player did is literally "arrive" late. It's not as if we did anything but run (try to stop running in fact), he didn't jump into a tackle or try to kick Weston. He was just taken by his momentum into the path of a challenge that was (at best) reckless and high. Weston inititated the situation and their guy had nowhere to go. I think a reckless tackle is a yellow card, so what's the problem with the decision?

(Sorry to join the UTS video panel by the way... :wink: )

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:09 pm

These two ladies look happy to be there!! Were they still walking round together in their Gerrard and Boertien shirts?!! :lol:

http://matchpics.fotopic.net/p60195079.html

BTW, are they UTSers?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:58 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:These two ladies look happy to be there!! Were they still walking round together in their Gerrard and Boertien shirts?!! :lol:

BTW, are they UTSers?

Not sure.

I see Big Baz has found religion. Praise The Lord!!!

http://matchpics.fotopic.net/p60195072.html

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:24 am

Asps wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:These two ladies look happy to be there!! Were they still walking round together in their Gerrard and Boertien shirts?!! :lol:

BTW, are they UTSers?

Not sure.

I see Big Baz has found religion. Praise The Lord!!!

http://matchpics.fotopic.net/p60195072.html

Yow was still drinking you pint of Coke then Mr Mansfield :wink:

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:53 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
PeruSaddler wrote:

Rob,

Not sure if you've been following this thread in full, but I think you'll find I'm pretty much in agreement with you.

In hindsight it does look as though my post was countering yours, but that was not the intention. I do agree with your line on this thread and I still feel mad as hell with Weston for his recklessness

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:58 am

bangsection wrote:

My only argument with your comment would be that from where I was sat a few yards away in the stand, was that some refs may well have given a straight red for that 'leg lift'. Weston is a numptie :x

bangsection
Site Addict

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:03 pm

I've just unearthed some new footage that seems to prove the existence of a 'second tackler' positioned somewhere on the grassy knoll, er, I mean touchline.

Conclusive proof that Weston could not have assassinated Edwards on his own...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G_Zxup7esU[/youtube]

saddlerken
Site Addict

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Westons entire match intensions were there for all to see, he should have picked up a yellow in the first 5 mins for being late on a player anyway

Had he had not got a 2nd yellow, one would have followed given the aggresive nature and intent

the bloke is an absolute irresponsible moron and many of you lot sound like Alex Ferguson defending Cantona

Club captain, yeah right, give that to that lad Deeney I say

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Just to get this back into the realms of reality, can I just point out that Weston picked up a red and seven yellows last season and just six yellows the previous season, yet we have Walsall fans, in their usual way, condemning him completely as some sort of irresponsible defender! For God's sake, get real! Are we going top slag off everyone who gets a yellow or a red this season?

bangsection
Site Addict

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Just to get this back into the realms of reality, can I just point out that Weston picked up a red and seven yellows last season and just six yellows the previous season, yet we have Walsall fans, in their usual way, condemning him completely as some sort of irresponsible defender! For God's sake, get real! Are we going top slag off everyone who gets a yellow or a red this season?

Er, if it's irresponsible (which it was) and costs us the game, then yes.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Just to get this back into the realms of reality, can I just point out that Weston picked up a red and seven yellows last season and just six yellows the previous season, yet we have Walsall fans, in their usual way, condemning him completely as some sort of irresponsible defender! For God's sake, get real! Are we going top slag off everyone who gets a yellow or a red this season?

I totally agree. I do not understand why some of our supporters are so quick to condemn our own players.

saddlerken wrote:the bloke is an absolute irresponsible moron and many of you lot sound like Alex Ferguson defending Cantona

What is wrong with defending our own players in the way the Ferguson defended Cantona? Ferguson was totally right to defend his player in public - because he was his own player. If he is not going to defend him who is? What would be gained by his own manager piling on him when he was in trouble? I would love to hear Hutchins defend our players in the same way that Ferguson defends his. He has not exactly been unsuccessful has he?

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season