Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Accrington Stanley (A) Carling Cup 1st Round Tuesday 11/8/09

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
cec_the_saddler

Re: Accrington Stanley (A) Carling Cup 1st Round Tuesday 11/8/09

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:10 pm

Bernie wrote:
Whitters wrote:1041 - is this the lowest number of people ever to have watched our beloved team in a League/FA Cup/Carling Cup competition?

I think that this might be a post 1945 record, but I have not checked this.

According to "The Complete Record of Walsall Football Club" the lowest league gate ever was 500 against Darwin on 2 September 1893 when we were in the second division and played at the Chuckery, the lowest at Fellows Park was 1,047 on 25 January 1926 against Halifax.

The lowest crowd ever to watch a first team match was just 23 paying spectators on a snowy day in January 1895 for a Staffordshire Cup tie against Burton.

The lowest at Bescot/Banks's is 2,045 against Maidstone on 30 March 1992.

And I was there, it was 0-0, probably the worst game I have ever seen supporting Walsall (from 1980)

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:16 pm

cec_the_saddler wrote:And I was there, it was 0-0, probably the worst game I have ever seen supporting Walsall (from 1980)

Looking at that season I see that we were watched by only 1,006 when we lost one nil at Halifax on 3rd April 1992. The recession of the early 1990s was clearly having an effect on gates, as is the current one.

However although the figure of 2,045 is quote by Tony Matthews and Geoff Allman in the records section at the back of their book, in the page devoted to that season the date of the match is given as 31 March 1992, and the gate is recorded as 3,045.
Last edited by Bernie on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yoda
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Pictures on the Accy website:

http://matchpics.fotopic.net/c1739291.html

Gutted Im not in a few snaps by a few feet but those girls that were there soley to propersition Walsall players get there own picture. Lifes harsh!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Early days yet, but if Jones and Parkin cannot be effective against a bottom half 4th Division team in a competitive match, then that's a worry.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:16 pm

I spotted myself on one of the pics 8)

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:28 pm

No surprise that the photographer chose to immortalise the best looking section of the crowd.

The 'bang section' if you will. :mrgreen:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Big baz was the best looking man in the part of the crowd he was in 1st half and 2nd half 8)

Jockey
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:07 pm

Spot the drenched UTS'ers. Even Asps moped Evo's head :lol:

Look at the UTS'ers doing the YMCA :wink:

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:11 pm

To be honest I thought that Rhys got off lightly last night.

Minutes before his first yellow he was high and late on the edge of the Accy box and should have been carded for that. This would have course rendered the so called dubious red irrelevant. I thought the ref bottled that first incident and also it should have been a straight red later. Sure he got the ball first, but why the hell was his trailing leg so high up in the air that I thought the Accy player was going to land in my lap? (I was in the stand with a Accy fan I know). Three awful tackles in 15 minutes leave no room for complaint from Weston. The only upside is that because it was two yellows rather than a straight red I believe that means the suspension may be shorter.

By the way, the scenery in the Crown was nice; pity the match wasn't particularly attractive. I only wish our season tickets were the same price.... £140 for 23 games!!!

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Who is that with the hood on next to you jockey ?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Hutchings no blame for Weston.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/08/1 ... or-weston/

Disagree with the manager on this , from what I've red the second offence was a two footed challange no excuses in my book. Rhys should kmow better.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:28 pm

big baz 1 wrote:Who is that with the hood on next to you jockey ?

A sensable man if you ask me :wink:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Duke wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:Who is that with the hood on next to you jockey ?

A sensable man if you ask me :wink:

Oh hang on duke its the uts icon Big Baz 1 8) :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:13 pm

Duke wrote:Hutchings no blame for Weston.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/08/1 ... or-weston/

Disagree with the manager on this , from what I've red the second offence was a two footed challange no excuses in my book. Rhys should kmow better.

Sorry Chris, but I can't agree with your stance.
When one of your most experienced players is on a yellow card, there's no need for him to make stupid fouls like that one. Whether the challenge was a yellow card or not is almost beyond the issue - he put himself under the scutiny of the referee, which is never a good idea, particularly right under the nose of the home team's manager.
It was a completely unprofessional decision from Rhys Weston I'm afraid. He should count himself lucky that he appears to have got away without a rollocking from his manager.

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Totally agree I dont want to hear our Manager excuseing Westons behaviour - Weston is not some fresh faced kid learning the ropes.He is one this year that the other Players will be looking to lead by example.
Just as I dont expect Hutch to give out public rollickings , I also dont want him to give out public excuses for Players who should know better.

yoda
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Maybe Hutch is just presenting a united front? We'd moan if he lambasted Weston in the press, and no doubt it was the E+S that asked him about it so he had to say something. Instead of saying 'Yer, Westons a total plank', hes gone the other direction.

I would whack a fair amount on Weston not having got off scot free.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:09 pm

yoda wrote:Maybe Hutch is just presenting a united front? We'd moan if he lambasted Weston in the press, and no doubt it was the E+S that asked him about it so he had to say something. Instead of saying 'Yer, Westons a total plank', hes gone the other direction.

I would whack a fair amount on Weston not having got off scot free.

Hopefully Hutchings has had a word with him behind closed doors.
Still, there's a difference between saying something along the lines of "Rhys should know better" than giving him an absolute public rollocking, just as there is between defending him wholeheartedly, which is what Hutchings appears to have done.

I wouldn't feel so strongly about the issue if it wasn't for the fact that Rhys Weston clearly hasn't learned anything from the mistake he made in getting sent off at Brighton, almost exactly a year ago.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:14 pm

I am glad that we now have a manager who does not make a habit of slagging off his players in public. I want to hear Hutchings defending our players even when he knows that they are in the wrong. Any disciplining of professionals should take place in private.

yoda
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:14 pm

I'd be amazed if he hasnt had a rollocking and when asked by the press the Hutch went with the fact 99% of Walsall fans in attendence supported Weston when the card was shown. He had to say somethng to the rag.

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:40 pm

yoda wrote:I'd be amazed if he hasnt had a rollocking and when asked by the press the Hutch went with the fact 99% of Walsall fans in attendence supported Weston when the card was shown. He had to say somethng to the rag.

Err.... I didn't support the dimwit. That stat means that only one other Saddler there thought he should have been carded... do you really believe that?

yoda
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:02 pm

In terms of % supporting him it was in the ninties. I recall looking round in a deliberate attempt to see if anyone WASNT supporting him. Not knowing the awy attendence I cant really sit and work out an exact figure but it was the overwhelming majority.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Having just watched Weston's sending off on the new Walsall Player (a big improvement on the old system) there is no doubt that it was a very harsh decision.

It was definitely not a foul, or if there was a foul it was committed by the Accrington player.

The ball was loose with Weston and Edwards(?) both about ten yards away when they started running towards it. Using the pause button you can clearly see that Weston reaches the ball first and had already played it when the other bloke was over a yard away. Weston did not make a high challenge, it was because his feet were low that Edwards went up when he charged into him.

All those who are piling on Weston should look at the video (perhaps the sending off will be shown on BBC tonight) and if they can pause the action at the exact moment they will see that he was the innocent party who made a safe and fair challenge for the ball, won the ball fair and square and was then clobbered by Edwards who arrived on the scene a fraction of a second too late. Because Weston got the ball and had both feet on the ground when the collision occured any foul should have been given to Walsall.

I think that the club should send a still from the video of the incident to the FA appeals committee. They could show that Weston is playing the ball on the ground with the Accrington player arriving at top speed, but about five feet away from the ball. If Weston had not gone in for that ball, even allowing for the fact that he had been booked, he would have been heavily criticised by all Walsall fans.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Using the pause button and screen capture I have downloaded a slightly blurry image of the moment that Weston played the ball.

Walsall are in the black and green. Weston can be seen on the far side just as he plays the ball. Edwards is partly hidden by the referee, about four feet away from Weston and the ball. You can see that Weston is playing the ball safely, whereas Edwards is leaning back slightly and going into Weston feet first.

yoda
Site Addict

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:11 pm

I havent watched it on player yet but does it show there slob of a manager moving faster than his fat arse has moved in his life to get in the refs face?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:36 pm

yoda wrote:I havent watched it on player yet but does it show there slob of a manager moving faster than his fat backside has moved in his life to get in the refs face?

Yes - the manager should have been sent off for entering the playing surface. The home crowd reaction coupled with the manager acting as if Weston had just left a turd on the pitch was what made the ref send Weston off. It was a 60-40 ball in Weston's favour, which he took cleanly with his feet on the floor, only for Edwards to arrive a split second too late and collide with him.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:05 am

Just watched it on Saddlers player. Still a sending off imo. Yes he got the ball, but he still went in dangerously. There was no need for him to slide in that manner, and on the wet surface made it even more dangerous. A player of his experience should know better.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:47 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Just watched it on Saddlers player. Still a sending off imo. Yes he got the ball, but he still went in dangerously. There was no need for him to slide in that manner, and on the wet surface made it even more dangerous. A player of his experience should know better.

Perhaps a referee could explain to me why Weston sliding with feet on the ground and body low to win the ball was dangerous, whereas Edwards standing up, leaning back and arriving into Weston feet first after the ball had been cleared was not? If Weston was going to get a yellow then Edwards would deserve a red.

Incidentally I could have quoted a couple of descriptions of Weston's tackle from those at the ground which are made look a bit silly by the video. Of course it shows why police have to disregard most of the stuff they hear from eye-witnesses to rapid events. And also how easy it is to assume our own players are in the wrong, even when they are not.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:54 am

The highlights are on iPlayer. You may want to skip straight to 20 minutes (or thereabouts) when Walsall are on or else you risk seeing Neil Warnock's punchable mug. The incident is as Bernie described - a foul on Weston, not by Weston, who clearly plays the ball fair and square while the Accy player charges into him feet first. Hey ho, we've only missed out on a time- and money-wasting trip to QPR, so I'm not too bothered. But I do wonder whether most Walsall fans watch the matches with their eyes closed.

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:57 am

Good stuff Bernie.
Much appreciated.

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:29 am

Tyldesley_saddler wrote:
AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:typical walsall

Hutchings Out!!!!

Prick

thats uncalled for mate i was having a joke.

your the one who is a prick if you post dumb comments like that.

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season